Why, after refilling the cartridge, the printer says that there is no ink
A fairly common problem among users of office equipment is a malfunction associated with the fact that after refilling the cartridge, it says that there is no ink. The most likely reason is that you have a chip-based consumable. The fact is that the chips that are built into the cartridges of most manufacturers of office equipment take into account only the dye that was spent during the printing of documents. Therefore, they work solely for reduction, with the result that the volume of the colorant (toner or ink) is then NOT measured. And one day, the ink / toner just runs out and the presence of a dye in the cartridge container does not matter.
If your device does not see a full or completely full cartridge precisely because of its chip, then you can use the chips created by the “folk” craftsman. They managed to come up with elements that show the presence of paint or simply do not respond to requests from office equipment.
In addition, to solve this problem in inkjet printers, you can use CISS, i.E. Continuous ink supply system. ink tank (reservoir) which can be refilled with ink at any time.
Other Possible Problems
If the printer begins to write that ink / toner is missing in the cartridge, although in fact it is there, then the device drivers are a possible cause of the problem. The fact is that some models of office equipment printing after the first refill begin to stop showing information related to the presence of a dye in a consumable.
In addition, if the device shows the absence of ink if it is available, but at the same time flatly refuses to print documents, then the problem can be solved by purchasing a new consumable. Of course, you can try to refuel, but this option may be in vain.
But the most important source of the fact that after refilling consumables the printing device reports the absence of ink or toner, of course, is the security system, i.E. The chip itself. This element tries in every possible way to prevent the positive outcome of refilling the cartridge. As a result, the printer, even when fully charged with consumables, begins to see a completely “empty” container with a dye.
The system itself, which becomes a reliable barrier on the way of refueling, is very simple. The cartridge for this purpose is equipped with a special chip, which, after the end of ink according to the controller, simply blocks the cartridge. As a result of this action, the device simply stops working with it, even if there is a sufficiently large amount of ink or toner.
You can try to solve this type of problem as follows:
- Take any old cartridge of the same color as the one that appears empty in the printer and install it in its proper place.
- Turn on the device and after it starts up and comes to a fully working position, Remove the cartridge and install again.
- Now you have to start the device again. Then turn off the printer completely by unplugging the power cord.
- Replace old consumables with refilled ones and turn on the device. In general, thanks to such manipulations, this cartridge will be detected in the printer as new, as a result of which it should work again and start printing.
Such a procedure as zeroing is an excellent way out of a situation when office equipment refuses to recognize the fact that there is ink / toner in the cartridge refills, but, unfortunately, it works only on some models of printing devices. The following is an example of how to zero an HP ink cartridge.
One way to perform a zeroing is to first seal the contact on the cartridge with tape.
- Next, insert this consumable into your device and click on “OK” after the device displays an error message about the installed cartridge.
- Now you should start printing the internal test of the printer, after which you can remove the cartridge from it.
- In the next step, you have to act “blindly”: glue any of the contacts located below and on the right. Now you should have two contacts sealed with tape.
- Reinstall the cartridge and Let’s print the test page. Pull it out again.
- Remove the tape from the contact you covered first. Insert the consumable and wait for the office equipment to recognize it.
- Remove the cartridge again and this time remove the tape from the second contact.
- Wipe all contacts using rubbing alcohol. Be very neat.
- Install the consumable in the office equipment slot. Its ID has now been changed. This will keep the ink level at 100 percent.
Thus, if you are faced with a task such as “after refueling the cartridges, the device does not see ink”, then you should not despair and spend on buying an original cartridge.
Please read the described recommendations carefully and try to solve the problem yourself. Please note that the purchase of original consumables in this situation is the very last option, when no way to bring the printer into working condition helped you.
Canon Pixma / Pro printer Does not detect (does not see) refillable cartridges (CZK) or CISS. problem solution
If the Canon Pixma or Pro printer / all-in-one printer cannot identify (identify, “see”) refillable cartridges (RPC) or CISS, it cannot start printing. The identification of cartridges is made through chips, so the reasons for such a problem are in them (whether the missing contact is bad, malfunction, etc.) or in the wrong installation. Also, the printer may refuse to print due to problems in the ink meter.
The guide below applies to all dual bay chip cartridges (as on
Cartridge chip lights are off during first installation
When installing the cartridges for the first time, pay attention to the fact that the red indicators should light up continuously and equally brightly on all cartridges (in cases when the shut-off valves equipped with chips are purchased). The exception is the shut-off valve and CISS for new original cartridges PGI-480, CLI-481 (in them Canon for the first time refused from LEDs on chips), here you need to focus on the messages of the computer, which is connected to the printer.
If on one of the cartridges the indicator does NOT light up or does not light up as brightly as on the others, the cartridge must be removed and make sure that the chip cartridge is dirty and installed correctly, and the chip can also be wiped with a dry cloth or cloth moistened with alcohol. And when reinstalling, try to press down on the cartridge harder and move from side to side. If the indicator does not light up, the chip is NOT working (only if this is the initial installation of cartridges purchased with chips).
Sometimes, after incorrectly rearranging the chips or sticking them on opaque glue, the light of the LEDs on the chips may be blocked. This will be a prerequisite for a malfunction, so rearrange the chips only according to the instructions.
Chip LED off black shut-off device for Canon
If the light still comes on but the printer generates an error when closing the cover, check if the error is related to ink cartridges (Canon error codes).
Cartridge chip lights are off or blinking
If the indicator on the cartridge flashes during installation or at any other moment, it means that the amount of ink in the cartridge is approaching a minimum according to the consumption counter (as a rule, the actual amount of ink has nothing to do with the counter readings). If the printer works on cartridges PGI-480, CLI-481, the indicators should not be on initially (because they are not provided in THESE models), therefore, when diagnosing, be guided by the messages on the computer connections to the printer.
Also, the indicator may NOT light up at all in cases when:
- Cartridge Out of Ink (By Counter or Actual): Refill the cartridge.
- Disabled Ink Level Detection: OK, keep printing.
- Chip defective: replace chip.
- Bad contact of the chip with the contacts in the printer carriage
- Wipe the chips with a dry or alcohol-dampened napkin or cloth,
- Align the chip,
- Check that the chip reaches the contacts when installing the CISS (sometimes the chip is too high, or rather, the contacts in the printer are pushed through and DO NOT reach the chip).
Installing Empty Canon Recovery Cartridge
If an empty cartridge is installed in the printer, and according to the counter it is captured (for example, a new, NOT refilled shut-off valve), in most cases the printer will report that this cartridge is detected.
Disabling Ink Level Tracking
Almost all Canon printers have sensors for detecting the actual presence of ink in a cartridge; these sensors work independently of the ink consumption counters in the chips. And even if the ink level detection function is disabled, the printer will block printing when the cartridge is actually empty, preventing damage to the GHG as a result of “printing by air”.
To disable the ink level detection function, follow the instructions of the printer on the computer (example). Usually you need to hold down (for 10-20 seconds. depending on the printer model) the “stop / cancel” button (triangle in a circle) at the moment when the printer reports the end of ink, the procedure is carried out for each cartridge separately (except for printers for PGI cartridges.425 / CLI-426, the function cannot be disabled, the cartridges are completely blocked after the first cycle.) Do not perform this procedure without PRELIMINARY refilling the cartridges.After this procedure, the printer will display a question mark in a yellow triangle on the screen displaying ink levels in cartridges on this cartridge will light up only after replacing the cartridge (on some models it will not light up at all).
If the chip is NOT defective
Replacement chip on nano cartridges for Canon iP4840
You can also try to rearrange the chip from the original cartridge (it is not always possible to do this without damaging the chip) and disable Difficult behind the ink level (except PGI-425 / CLI-426).
Canon printer cannot see cartridge. Solution to the problem
The situation when the device does not see the cartridge is quite common. NOT an exception. and Canon printers.
If the product does NOT recognize the cartridge, this may be due to the following reasons:
- The consumable is installed incorrectly. you need to get it out and reinstall it into the socket until it clicks,
- The cartridge door is not fully closed or not closed at all,
- The protective film has NOT been removed from the ink tank,
- It is possible that an incompatible fake cartridge was purchased. this often happens when buying from unofficial dealers, in such cases the printing device reads incorrect data from the cartridge chip and does NOT recognize it.
If the device does not see a refilled cartridge, then the malfunction may be caused by one of the following reasons:
- Replacement or refilling was performed incorrectly,
- Damaged chip,
- Empty installed Refillable cartridges,
- Ink level tracking has been disabled,
- LED signal could not be read.
Why is the Canon laser printer NOT recognizing the cartridge? In most cases, the reason is chip contamination or improperly installed consumables. This causes the printer or all-in-one printer to be unable to read the information from the chip. Less commonly, the malfunction may be damage to the contacts inside the printer itself.
The device does not see the cartridge after refilling. What to do?
If the device does not see the cartridge, which was refilled, first you need to perform a number of steps:
- Turn off the device and turn it on after a minute,
- DO NOT turn off the printer, Remove and reinstall the cartridge,
- If this does NOT solve the problem, remove the cartridge and gently wipe its chip. You can use an alcohol wet wipe for this purpose.,
- Check the integrity of the contacts on the head,
- Reset the refueling counter,
- If the problem is identified only for refilled cartridges, and new ones are recognized by the printer normally, then perhaps the solution lies in pressing the contacts more tightly on the head. for this you can use folded pieces of paper,
- Take out the cartridge and check if the chip holder protrudes too much in its lower part. If the plastic protrusion is visible, it may be obstructing the readout of the data from the chip. You can carefully cut off the protrusion with a sharp knife or razor blade, wipe the chip with a damp cloth and return the cartridge to the slot,
- If the device still does not recognize the cartridge, then it makes sense to check the nozzles and, if necessary, clean them. After cleaning, the printer should be turned off for about an hour. This is done in order to remove air from the print head that gets there when you remove the cartridge.,
- Also, the cause of the problem may be that NOT a full set of refillable consumables was installed. when using CISS and new cartridges at the same time, the printer may NOT recognize some of them,
If none of the above actions had an effect, then most likely the chip is irreversibly damaged.
Printer HP does not see the original cartridge. What to do?
Why can’t the HP printer see the cartridge? Most likely, the problem lies in reading data from the chip. Either the chip itself is damaged, or it is dirty, or the counter of the printed pages is out of order.
If there is ink, but the device does not find the cartridge, then there may be several reasons.
- The device does NOT recognize a new consumable. If the cartridge has just been purchased and is original (i.E. Fully compatible), you need to check the following:
- Cartridge inserted correctly. Pull it out and reinsert it into place with a click, rather than using force,
- Check that the chip is clean, that there are no specks or ink stains on it,
- Check if the protective film is completely removed.
- Laser printer HP does not recognize the cartridge. The problem could be one of the following:
- The device cannot read data from the chip,
- Cartridge installed incorrectly,
- Damaged or dirty chip.
To check if it is installed correctly, open the printer cover, insert the cartridge, then lower the cover, leave a small gap where your finger could pass. Gently squeeze the cartridge with your finger while the cap is half closed.
- The device does not read a cartridge that has been refilled. In this case, it is also necessary to first check the toner level and the correct installation of the consumables. Refillable cartridges wear out over time. after multiple refills, the chip and other elements may fail. Outwardly, this does NOT manifest itself in any way, but the printer or all-in-one printer stops recognizing the cartridge. For refillable models, the issue of the print counter is also relevant. And, if nothing can be done with a worn-out cartridge, then in the second case, a flashing (zeroing) can help.
Canon printer does not see cartridge. problem solution
The Canon printer does NOT recognize the cartridge and gives an error. The problem is most likely either in the chip and its contact with the printer, or in the failure of the additional light sensor (for Pixma inkjet printers). The options here are:
- Problems with the printer pins that read the chip data.
- Incorrect cartridge installation.
- Out of ink or toner. Check ink levels as you go deeper into the problem.
- Cartridge construction defect. Relevant only for non-original consumables from third-party manufacturers.
- Chip incompatibility with the printer (the chip is for a different model, purchase error)
- There are many other reasons why below.
Canon does NOT recognize original cartridges
As above, check the ink levels first.
In cases where the cartridge is guaranteed to be new and original, refer to the instructions or consult with Canon Official Technical Support. Let’s point out only common mistakes:
- The cartridge is installed incorrectly. Generally, genuine cartridges slide in easily and clicks.
- DO NOT fully close the cartridge cover. But it is not worth making excessive efforts to avoid damage.
- Forgot to remove the protective yellow film from the ink tank.
If you bought a cartridge from authorized dealers, it is quite possible that you are in front of a fake. An analogue of a third-party manufacturer sold under the guise of an original, or a “remanufactured” cartridge (ie a spent original, refilled by a third-party company). In both cases, the problem is most likely in the chip.
Canon DOES NOT recognize slam-shut and CISS
Check the ink level before looking for a problem in the chip or any other design element.
A non-lit light sensor signals most problems
The device does not recognize the slam-shut. The reasons:
- Cartridge is not fully inserted.
- Replacing the cartridges incorrectly.
- Chips are stained.
- The chip is not installed evenly.
- Empty slam-shut installed.
- Disabled Difficult over ink levels.
- LED signal is NOT read.
- Chip failure.
The device does not recognize the CISS. The reasons:
- Cartridge unit not fully inserted.
- Replacing the cartridges incorrectly.
- Chips are stained.
- Chips are unevenly installed.
- Disabled Difficult over ink levels.
- LED signal is NOT read.
- Chip failure.
In the problem when the Canon Pixma / Pro inkjet printer does not detect the PZK or CISS, it is described in more detail in the corresponding article.
You can read more about the problem with reading the LED signal (errors 1410-1414) and how to fix it in our other article.
When disabled Difficulty over cartridge ink levels. This is not an error
Canon Laser DOES NOT recognize cartridge
Problems with recognizing cartridges in laser printers arise for similar reasons as in inkjet printers.
- Toner has run out. Always check the toner cartridge level first.
- Chip is NOT recognized.
- Cartridge is not installed correctly.
Original and new cartridge
For laser printers, the problem of an undetectable cartridge is often solved quite simply: open the lid and insert the cartridge, then close the lid leaving a small gap for your finger. With our finger inside the printer, we grope for the cartridge and “squeeze” it.
There is always a possibility that under the guise of a new cartridge you have been sold a compatible analogue or a “remanufactured” original. If you DO NOT use alternative consumables. buy cartridges from authorized Canon dealers.
The cartridge is original, but it has already been filled
Checking the toner level and the correct installation of the cartridge are relevant in this case.
If the original cartridge has survived several refills, the elements in it could be damaged by which the printer recognizes the presence of the cartridge. Or the digital page yield counter has been triggered.
In the first case, the replacement of the failed element is required, in the second. the flashing of the chip.
Compatible third party cartridge
If you are using compatible third-party cartridges, try installing the original cartridge. If the device does not see the original, there is a problem inside the printer (chip recognition fails, for example).
Otherwise, the matter is most likely in the chip:
- Out of order.
- NOT compatible with printer firmware.
- Installed unevenly.
The device does not see the cartridge after refilling
It is NOT rare that the device does not recognize the cartridge after refilling, or a message appears on the screen about the lack of ink or a request to replace the cartridge. This can happen after purchasing a third-party cartridge. But there is no need to worry. this article will consider most of the causes of such malfunctions, as well as ways to eliminate them, which you can make yourself, and not resorting to the help of specialists.
Accounting for paint consumption
First, you need to figure out how ink is counted. For THESE purposes the cartridge has a special chip programmed with a certain number of pages, which acts as a counter. The amount of ink in the cartridge is designed for the same number of pages and as soon as the number of printed sheets approaches the specified number, you will receive low ink messages. However, there is a small nuance. the amount of ink is designed for sheets completely filled with text or images, but in practice it is quite often necessary to print half-blank pages. In this case, the alerts about the lack of ink may differ from the actual presence in the cartridge.
It is worth noting that the chips can have a software lock, which makes it impossible to use the cartridge after refueling. Customers using printers from Epson may face this, other popular manufacturers such as Canon or HP often DO NOT use blocking.
Possible problems after refueling and their solutions
Now let’s look at what to do if the device does not see the cartridge. Do some basic steps first and your problem can be resolved after each:
- Turn off the printer and turn it on after 30-60 seconds, re-initialize the device.
- When turning on the device Remove and reinsert the cartridge into a click.
- It may be worth cleaning the contacts on the cartridge from paint or oxidation products. To do this, remove the cartridge and wipe them with an eraser or alcohol wipe. At the same time, you can clean and check the integrity of the contacts on the print head of the printer.
Contacts on the cartridge. Do not apply heavy pressure when cleaning them as they may move and NOT align with the printhead contacts.
Contacts on the print head of the printer. Arrows indicate damaged elements.
If you have Refillable cartridges (Refillable cartridges) and the printer still gives an error and says “replace the cartridge”, then you should reset the refueling counter using a button or by simply closing the contacts on each cartridge. CISS are reset with one button. For clarity of this process, we recommend watching the video for your specific printer model.
If there are problems with the original ink tank, but the device still does not see the refilled cartridge with the refillable cartridge or CISS, then the contacts on the print head may slightly not coincide with their position on the ink tank. Try to squeeze the ink tanks tighter with a spacer.
Pieces of paper folded several times are perfect as a spacer.
If after all THESE actions you have a “printer error, replace the cartridge”. most likely, the chip is damaged and you will have to change it or the entire ink tank.
What to do if the printer stops printing after refueling
Printer owners often face a problem when a technician stops printing after refueling. Some users rush to check the cartridge, while others go to the service center. In fact, if the printer stops printing after refueling, it is recommended that you simply figure out the causes of the problem. In most cases, the problem can be fixed on your own and you do not need to carry equipment anywhere.
- The main causes of the problem
- Dried ink in nozzles
- Air got in during refueling
- Wrong ink selected
- Cartridge is not installed correctly
- Problems with the chip or diaper meter
- Solve problems in printers (all-in-one printer) Brother
- Restoration of printheads
- Resetting the “diaper”
- Canon Printer Solution
- Flushing non-removable printheads
- Flushing the printheads on the cartridge
- Reset ink control
- Reanimating Epson printers
- Restoration of printheads
- Restoring HP printers
- Resetting the ink counter
The main causes of the problem
If the printer stops printing, the problem may be due to the following:
- Nozzle problem.
- Dried ink.
- Chip break.
- Meter failure.
- Incorrect cartridge installation.
- Error in settings.
- Got air.
Some reasons are caused by improper operation of equipment. There are also problems with the equipment of SEPARATE manufacturers. Epson, Brothers, Canon printers have certain drawbacks that should be taken into account during operation.
Dried ink in nozzles
If the Canon printer does NOT print after refilling the cartridge, the problem may be the dried ink. Experts recommend checking the nozzles. Cleaning should be done once a month. Also, equipment requires periodic printing, since the equipment must be in working order.
If the printer stops printing, as an option, the problem lies in the quality of the ink, in any case, a simple nozzle purge procedure is performed. For this purpose, the structure is disassembled and the cartridge is taken out. User will need a dry rag or toilet paper can be used.
Air got in during refueling
If the Canon printer does NOT print after refilling the cartridge, the problem may be related to the air that has entered the system. Breakage is Most common for Epson, Canon and Brothers. Users often refer to the quality of the equipment, but there are other reasons.
The problem may be the wrong ink supply. When air enters the element, the paint gradually flows out, it is impossible to hold it. There is a rapid consumption of material, you can completely fill the printer, in the future it is problematic to dry the head.
If the device does not print after refilling the cartridge, you must follow the instructions:
- Cover opens.
- The cartridge is removed.
- Checking the nozzle.
- Eliminate excess paint.
- Head cleaning.
- Cartridge installation.
- Lid closes.
During the rinsing of the head, it is necessary to achieve its complete drying (it takes 15. 20 minutes). For some models, the HP cartridge is difficult to obtain, but this is not the worst. Considering a Brother printer, early machines are NOT designed to get a head at all. Thus, access to the element is closed, there is no way to verify the integrity of the parking lot.
Wrong ink selected
If the Canon printer does not see the cartridge after refilling, it can be assumed that the ink is selected incorrectly. For equipment from one manufacturer, consumables of different series are often required. The same can be said for cartridges. Incompatibility will result in canceled printing. Extreme The printhead protrudes and fails.
Cartridge is not installed correctly
When the HP printer does not see the cartridge, the technician refuses to work. Often, the computer swears because the item is NOT responding. This is due to a breakdown in communication between electrical contacts. As planned, they must match, and the slightest malfunction leads to an interruption of the signal.
When installing the cartridge, dust, dried paint gets on the contacts, and it can also become an obstacle. When the protective film comes off, you must immediately install the element. Users who have not turned on the equipment for a long time wonder why the device does not see the cartridge. The reason mainly lies in the damage to the loop, while the sensor can be blocked.
Problems with the chip or diaper meter
If the device does not see the cartridge after refilling, you can check the chip or the diaper counter. Considering inkjet models, they use disposable and refillable elements. As stated earlier, the cartridges must be of a compatible type. Otherwise, the control chip fails.
Sometimes the signal can be false, there is a sufficient amount of consumables in the tank. If the device does not recognize the cartridge after refilling, the service center recommends replacing the chip. As for the diaper, it is a pad that absorbs excess ink. A sensor is installed nearby, which controls the level of consumables.
A breakdown of an element means the following options:
- It shows excess paint.
- Does NOT respond to signals.
- Shows that everything is fine.
Solve problems in printers (all-in-one printer) Brother
Restoration of printheads
When the printer does NOT print after refilling the cartridge, users rush to check the head. For Gibson, Brothers, this is a common case. Experts advise to get to the loop and check its connection. This is a silicone tube that sits next to the cartridge.
How to fix the problem with the head:
- Turning on the printer.
- Self-diagnosis function.
- Scanner check.
- System reboot.
- Disconnecting the Printer from the Network.
Resetting the “diaper”
When the equipment does NOT want to print after refueling, the head is not always to blame, perhaps the problem lies in the “diaper”.
The display shows the inscription “error 46”, which means that you need to go to the instructions:
- Printer connection.
- Go to the main menu.
- Power connection.
- Starting the Maintenance function.
- System check.
- Self-diagnosis function.
- Resetting the “diaper”.
If the HP printer does not see the cartridge, it is a software error. Through the main menu, you can again use the Maintenance function, but this time black and white printing is removed. There is a START button at the bottom of the screen.
Canon Printer Solution
Canon printers swear if a cartridge is missing or users have refilled them incorrectly. The check is recommended with the inspection of the printheads. Available on the market with removable and non-removable options.
The head is easy to find as it is located next to the cartridge. It is also not clear to users of Canon products why after refueling the technician gives an error. The problem lies in a software failure, and then the self-diagnosis function is activated.
Flushing non-removable printheads
Using the HP 650 printer as an example, it is necessary to disassemble the procedure for flushing the fixed printheads. This will require a syringe and a bath. To get to the element, rubber or plastic tubes are suitable. The syringe is filled with water and a tube is connected.
Additionally, experts use special detergents such as Mr. Muscle. It is important to place a tray under the element during flushing.
Flushing the printheads on the cartridge
If the refilled cartridge does not work, you must try to flush the head.
For this, a syringe and ordinary water are used. After the procedure, wipe the surface with a dry cloth. When the printer writes an incompatible cartridge, flushing the head will most likely NOT do the job.
Reset ink control
Resetting the control will help if, after refilling the cartridge, it says that there is no ink. The first step is to turn off the counter and a question appears on the screen about the correctness of the action. You must click the OK button, a test print is carried out. When the counter is reset, it is recommended to restart the personal computer.
Reanimating Epson printers
Unlike the HP 650 model, Epson printers do not stand out for their durability, and suffer from improper installation of cartridges or a broken chip, and it is not clear what to do. The first step is to clarify the cause of the malfunction, and it is recommended to pay attention to the printer settings. If the device does not respond to signals, it is better to reboot the counter.
Restoration of printheads
When the printer does NOT print after refilling the cartridge, you must follow the instructions:
- Opening the cover.
- Get the carriage.
- Flush element.
- Wipe the surface.
- Carriage installation.
- Print check.
At the end of the procedure, you must make sure that the head is dry and you can continue to work.
Restoring HP printers
On the example of the HP 650 printer, cartridges often fail, and the system asks to pour ink, because it does not see it. A malfunction of this kind is a problem with the meter. For later models, this can be done without installing Special Programs. The function is in the menu, the “Service” tab.
Resetting the ink counter
When the PC writes that the cartridge is missing, the user may be helped by the method to reset the ink counter. When you go to the main menu, you need to go to additional settings. For example, the HP 121, 27 models have a special button. “clear data”. If you click on it, the counter will automatically reset.