Components of a print cartridge
Cartridges of different types of printing devices differ in their structure. So, for example, the original cartridge of a laser printer consists of a photocylinder, which changes the electrical resistance when illuminated. The toner moves into it along a magnetic roller, and the pre-charge cylinder, forming the initial charge of the photo roll, helps to print. Excess paint is removed from the surface with a squeegee. For such a cartridge to start printing, you just need to fill it with toner and insert it into the printer.
Cartridges for an inkjet printer are another matter. First of all, they come in a variety of colors. If the printer does not see the black cartridge, then it is necessary to replace or refill the old cartridge. If one of the colored inks runs out, most often by mixing other colors, a color document can be printed, and the printer will still work. The inkjet printer cartridge consists of a cassette filled with liquid ink. A company like Epson most often installs security chips that prevent the cartridge from refilling. Canon and other well-known brands do not block their print cartridges with refill protection, so it is convenient to work with them.
Major printer failures
If you do not print for a long time on a peripheral device, it starts to glitch or print in stripes. You feel like a cartridge is out of ink or toner. But no. After refueling, the printer does not see the cartridge and drives blank sheets through the device, refusing to give in to your commands. In this case, you must first clean the print head and cartridge nozzles. This is all done programmatically.
Ways to reset the blocking chip at home
If you come across exactly that peripheral device that uses cassettes with a blocking chip, and after refueling the printer does not see the cartridge, then you need to learn about the methods for zeroing it. Stripping of original cartridges is carried out by using the programmer. After you have filled the cartridge with paint, you need to press a special device to its contacts, which will reset the counters on the microcircuit. Printer drivers will treat it as a new cartridge.
There is another way to use replacement chips. They also exist in modern times. There are disposable and reusable chips, which after the next refueling are automatically reset to zero.
Printer Cannot See Cartridge: Troubleshooting
- If you have installed the original model of the cartridge in your printer, but it refuses to print, then try again pulling out the cartridge and reinserting it. There is a possibility that not all contacts have matched correctly. But in any case, do not press the cartridge, trying to plant it deeper, such actions may lead to damage to the main printing parts of the peripheral device.
- If the HP printer does not see the cartridge, one of the main problems could be oxidation of the contacts on the cartridge. The cartridge must be pulled out and the contacts must be carefully cleaned with a cotton pad with an alcohol solution. Allow to dry and insert into the device. There is also the possibility of a counterfeit cartridge. This often happens in HP printers, so it is recommended that you look to see if the original production is on the cassette.
- Refilling of original cartridges also does not always work. If the Epson printer does not see the cartridge after refilling the ink, it must be reset to zero. Only then will the device driver be able to recognize the cartridge.
In order not to spoil the print cartridge, it is best to consult with a professional or someone who already has experience in this before the first refueling.
Why, after refueling, the printer does not see the cartridge?
Often, when purchasing a printer for their home, people do not think about how expensive it is to buy new cartridges for the printer. And only after the first cartridge becomes empty, people begin to solve problems on their own, refilling the old cartridge or replacing it with a new one. And then there are problems with its replacement. You can be 100% sure that the cartridge is full of ink, but the monitor screen shows an empty cartridge. What to do in such a situation? First of all, in order to establish the problem why after refueling the printer does not see the cartridge, you need to know what kind of printer you have. Depending on its type, various types of breakdowns may occur.
What not to do if after refueling the printer does not see the cartridge
- Never push the cartridge into the printer nozzles. Thus, it is possible to break the peripheral device.
- Pull out the cartridges without waiting for them to return to their original position. This can injure your hands and break the printer.
The printer does not recognize the CISS. Causes:
- Cartridge unit not fully inserted.
- Cartridge replacement is not correct.
- Chips are stained.
- Chips are unevenly installed.
- Disabled ink level tracking.
- LED signal is not read.
- Chip malfunction.
The problem when the Canon Pixma / Pro inkjet printer does not detect the shut-off valve or CISS is described in more detail in the corresponding article.
You can read more about the problem with reading the LED signal (errors 1410-1414) and how to fix it in our other article.
When the tracking of the ink level of the cartridge is disabled. this is not an error
Canon Laser does not recognize cartridge
Problems with recognizing cartridges in laser printers arise for similar reasons as in inkjet printers.
- The toner has run out. Always check the toner cartridge level first.
- Chip is not recognized.
- The cartridge is not installed correctly.
Canon does not recognize slam-shut and CISS
Before looking for a problem in the chip or any other structural element, check the ink level.
An off light sensor signals most problems
Canon does not recognize original cartridges
As above, check the ink levels first.
In cases where the cartridge is guaranteed to be new and original, you should refer to the instructions or consult with official Canon technical support. Let’s point out only common mistakes:
- The cartridge is installed incorrectly. Typically, genuine cartridges slide in easily and click into place.
- You have not completely closed the cartridge cover. But do not make excessive efforts to avoid damage.
- Forgot to remove the protective yellow film from the ink tank.
If you bought a cartridge not from authorized dealers, it is quite possible that you are in front of a fake. An analogue of a third-party manufacturer sold under the guise of an original, or a “remanufactured” cartridge (ie a used original, refilled by a third-party company). In both cases, the problem is most likely in the chip.
Original and new cartridge
For laser printers, the problem of an undetectable cartridge is often solved quite simply: open the lid and insert the cartridge, then close the lid leaving a small gap for your finger. With our finger inside the printer, we grope for the cartridge and “squeeze” it.
There is always the possibility that a compatible analogue or a “remanufactured” original was sold to you under the guise of a new cartridge. If you do not use alternative consumables. buy cartridges from authorized Canon dealers.
Canon printer does not see cartridge. problem solution
The Canon printer does not recognize the cartridge and displays an error. The problem is most likely either the chip and its contact with the printer, or the failure of the additional light sensor (for Pixma inkjet printers). The options are as follows:
- Problems with the printer contacts that read the chip data.
- Incorrect cartridge installation.
- Out of ink or toner. Check ink levels before looking deeper into the problem.
- Cartridge construction defect. Relevant only for non-original consumables from third-party manufacturers.
- Incompatibility of the chip with the printer (the chip is for a different model, purchase error)
- There are many other reasons, which are discussed below.
The cartridge is original, but it has already been refilled
Checking the toner level and the correct installation of the cartridge are also relevant in this case.
If the original cartridge has survived several refills, the elements in it could be damaged by which the printer recognizes the presence of the cartridge. Or the digital print resource counter has been triggered.
In the first case, the replacement of the failed element is required, in the second. the flashing of the chip.
The printer does not recognize the slam-shut. Causes:
- Cartridge is not fully inserted.
- The cartridges were not replaced correctly.
- Chips are stained.
- The chip is not installed evenly.
- Empty slam-shut device installed.
- Disabled ink level tracking.
- LED signal is not read.
- Chip malfunction.
The cartridge is not installed correctly
Sometimes a situation arises when the printer does not see the cartridge. This is explained by the fact that there are electrical contacts on it, which, when installed, should ideally coincide with the contacts inside the carriage. If for any reason there is a breakdown in contact (dust, dried paint), then the device will not work normally. It is also necessary to peel off the protective film from the contacts if the ink tank is new.
Some machines, especially MFPs, will not start working while the cover is open. The reason for the equipment failure lies in a special cover sensor. Therefore, if you installed CISS, and the loop from it prevents the lid from closing tightly, then this sensor must be blocked, for example, with a piece of foam (for different models of printers, the blocking methods may differ).
Checking the settings in the operating system
It happens that the parameters of printing devices in the OS are reset to basic. This happens most often when installing a new printer or fax. In this case, it is worth checking the correctness of the settings through the control panel.
- We call the search bar (Win S) and enter “Control Panel”.
- Go to the “Devices and Printers” section.
- From the presented equipment, select the desired model and click on it with the right mouse button.
- In the context menu, click on the line “Use as default”.
Another related problem is an overloaded print queue. This moment is especially relevant for models connected via a local network.
- In the “Devices and Printers” section, double-click on the desired model with the left mouse button.
- Next, open the item “View print queue”.
- We delete unnecessary tasks from the list or completely clear it (“Document”. “Cancel all”).
Advice! A more radical way to reset files sent to print is to restart the computer. But this option will not work if the printer has an independent memory block.
Recovering HP printers
It’s no secret that HP 121, 27, 28, 56, 57, 21 and 22 ink tanks have the ability to refuel. In this case, you need to be careful and not allow complete depletion of ink, refilling them on time. When the chip detects that the ink is low (but there is still ink), a message is displayed about this: an exclamation mark appears in front of the problem ink tank. In this case, you must click on “Continue”, thereby disabling the tracking of the paint level. The disadvantage of this method is that you cannot see the ink level.
If after that ink is not refilled and continue to print, then after they are used up, a sensor that determines the actual amount of ink will be triggered and will block the operation of the printer and the chip itself. A cross will already appear opposite the cartridge. If this happens, you will have to replace the chip or ink tank. Although there are several ways to zero the chip so that the ink level is displayed.
Place the ink bottle on the table with the contacts facing up and proceed as follows.
- You will need to glue 1 contact highlighted in green in the figure with adhesive tape. It is important that only 1 contact is glued.
- After that, you need to insert the ink tank into the device, click “OK”, which will appear in the message window, and print the internal test of the unit.
- Remove the ink tank from the printer again.
- Next, you need to close one more contact. You can choose any (blue, purple, red) without removing the sticker from the previously closed contact.
- Insert the part back into the printer, click “OK” and print a test page.
- Remove the ink tank from the machine again.
- Remove the sticker from the first contact, then return the part to the device. Wait until the unit “sees” the ink tank, then remove it.
- You will need to remove the sticker from the second contact, wipe all contacts with alcohol, and put the ink tank back into the printer.
The meaning of these manipulations is as follows: four different cartridges are replaced, after which the information about the identifier of the refilled ink tank is erased from the device’s memory, and it, inserted fifth, is considered new. After that, the printer will consider that there is ink and display its level in the containers.
The second method is suitable if the first turned out to be ineffective:
- seal the first contact, insert the ink tank into the machine, and print the test as in the first method;
- without removing the sticker from the first contact, it is necessary to glue three contacts with the rhinestone, as shown in the figure;
What to do if the printer stops printing after refueling
Since the price of a new cartridge remains high and almost equals the cost of the printer itself, many users have resorted to self-refilling ink tanks to save money. But, despite the fact that the cartridge is full, in some cases the printer refuses to print.
Ink selected incorrectly
Some users think that ink is the same for all printer models. But in fact, even for devices of the same brand, the ink may differ. The cartridge may not print due to the filling of incompatible ink in it, which entails a complete flushing of the print head.
When choosing paint, it is very important to read the instructions for it, where the devices for which it can be used are indicated.
You should also pay attention to the expiration date of the ink.
At the next refueling, many users try to fill the cartridge almost to the brim, which cannot be done. If the box is transparent, then you need to focus on the amount of paint in about 90%. If the cartridge is darkened, then the operating instructions must clearly indicate the maximum allowable displacement.
It is also worth inspecting the box for microcracks. There should be no fresh drops on the body after refueling. It will not hurt to wipe it dry with a rag and leave it for a few minutes somewhere in a dry place to make sure there are no leaks.
Air got in while refueling
Air in a cartridge filled with ink will not do much harm. Unless the paint will begin to flow out of it, since there will be no necessary vacuum inside the container to keep the ink from leaking.
It’s another matter when the ink runs out and air enters the print head nozzles. In this case, the paint may dry out in the capillaries of the head. Also, air can enter and dry out the head if it is not properly parked after the printer ends. It is important to check that the carriage always reaches the parking space. Only in this case the nozzles will be protected from drying out.
Air can damage the printhead, especially in Epson printers, as it is not removable. The problem is that when changing ink tanks, if it is done slowly, or when installing CISS, when the head is outside the parking unit, the nozzles have time to dry out.