Windows 10 does not see computers in Network Neighborhood
Readers have approached me several times with a request to help solve the problem with displaying computers in a networked environment in the latest builds of Windows 10. Indeed, in recent releases of Windows 10, your computer may no longer see neighboring computers in a workgroup on a local network, or it may not display itself in a networked environment. on second computers. Let’s see how to fix it.
- Windows 10 computers are NOT displayed in the Networked Workgroup Neighborhood
- Enable network discovery in Windows 10
- SMB 1.0 and problems with Master Browser in Windows 10
- Windows 10 does not see network folders
Windows 10 computers are NOT displayed in the Networked Workgroup Neighborhood
Users began to face problems displaying neighboring computers in the local network of the workgroup since Windows October 1703 (Creators Update). After installing this (or a newer version of Windows 10), your computer may stop seeing nearby computers when viewing devices in Network Neighborhood.
The list of computers in Network Neighborhood can be viewed in Explorer or with the command:
If the list is empty (the command returned There are no entries in the list.), First check the following settings.
Check if you have enabled file and folder access service. Go to the Control Panel section. Network and Sharing Center. Additional sharing options.
Make sure that you have the following options enabled in the section of the current network profile Private / Private (current profile):
- Turnonnetworkdiscovery Turnonautomaticsetupofnetworkconnecteddevices (Enable automatic configuration on networked devices)
- Turn on file and printer sharing
Let Windows manage homegroup connections (if you have a homegroup).
Then, in the All networks profiles, activate the options:
- Turn on Sharing (Turnonsharing), so network users can read and write files in shared folders;
- Disable password protection. TurnoffpasswordProtectSharing (if you trust all devices on your network).
Then open Windows Settings. Network and Internet. Ethernet (if you are connected to a local network via a wireless adapter, select Wi-Fi). Click on the network icon and make sure the “Make this computer discoverable” option is enabled.
Reset the DNS cache on your computer:
To enable discovery, you need to run the command in the command line with administrator rights to allow network discovery traffic in Windows 10:
Netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group = “Network Discovery” new enable = Yes
Get-NetFirewallRule.Displaygroup “Network Discovery”.Enabled True.Action Allow.Direction Inbound
Or manually enable the Network Discovery protocol at least for the Private network in the Windows Defender Firewall settings (Control Panel \ All Control Panel Items \ Windows Defender Firewall \ Allowed apps).
It happens that a Windows computer may NOT be displayed in Network Neighborhood due to incorrect workgroup settings. Try to re-add this computer to the workgroup by reapplying the settings (Control Panel. System. Advanced system settings. Computer name. Identification button).
In the open wizard to join a domain or workgroup, select in sequence: The computer is part of the corporate network. My organization uses a network without domains. The name of your team. After that you need to restart your computer.
If, after restarting, your computer appears in Network Neighborhood, but you cannot access it, check the computer’s network type. Most likely your local network was recognized as Public. You need to change the network type to Private. To do this, open Options. Network and Internet. Condition. Home group. Change location on the network.
Click on the link Change location on the network, then in the sidebar with the request “Do you want to allow other computers and devices in this network. Having found your PC? We recommend that you do this on your home or work network, and not in public”, select “Yes”.
Open Network Neighborhood and check if nearby computers are shown.
If the above tips did not help, and computers in the workgroup are still NOT displayed, try resetting the network settings (Settings. Network and Internet. Status. Reset network).
You can reset network settings and firewall rules with the commands:
Netsh int IP reset reset text netsh winsock reset netsh advfirewall reset
Then you need to restart your computer.
Then restart your computer. Windows should automatically detect your network card and install the appropriate drivers. In this case, all old protocol settings for the network card will be reset.
Also check if the following services are running (to display the network environment correctly, they must be in an auto-start state). Open the services.Mcs console:
- Functiondiscoveryproviderhost. fdPHost (Discovery Provider Host). responsible for discovering second computers on the network;
- Functiondiscoveryresourcepublication. FDResPub (Function Discovery Resource Publication, see below). is responsible for ensuring that other computers can discover your computer on the network;
- DNS Client. dnscache (DNS Client Service)
- SSDP Discovery. SSDPSrv (SSDP Discovery Service)
- Upnp Device Host. upnphost (Generic PNP Device Host)
In some cases, third-party antiviruses and firewalls can block NetBIOS name requests, WDS and broadcast DNS requests (there was definitely a problem with ESET NOD32). Try to temporarily disable your antivirus / firewall and check if network discovery is working on Windows 10.
SMB 1.0 and problems with Master Browser in Windows 10
It happens that problems with displaying computers in a networked environment are related to the Master Browser service. This service is responsible for building and maintaining a list of active computers on the network (more about the Computer Browser service). There can be only one active computer with the role of the master browser on the local network.
On Windows October 1703, the Network Browser service does not work correctly. We recommend that you completely disable this service on Windows 10 and use a Windows 7 computer (or Windows 8.1 / Windows Server 2012 R2 if you have already deprecated Windows 7 due to the end of support) as the primary network browser. Master Browser settings can be set through the registry.
In addition, in Windows October 1709 (1803, 1809, 1903, 1909), the SMB v1.0 protocol is disabled by default, thus the Computer Browser service is also disabled. It is this service in Microsoft networks that is responsible for compiling a list of computers on the network and displaying them (before switching to SSDP and WS-Discovery protocols).
If you only have computers with Win October 1709 and higher on the network (see the Compatibility Table for SMB v1 versions), and you want to continue to use the Network Browser service, you will have to enable SMB v1.0 on at least one computer (unsafe! ).
Installing SMB 1.0 is accomplished by adding the following components to the control panel:
- SMB 1.0 / CIFS client
- SMB 1.0 / CIFS Server
Or you can enable SMB client and server 1 from OptionalFeatures.Exe or with DISM commands:
Dism / online / Enable-Feature / FeatureName: “SMB1Protocol-Client” Dism / online / Enable-Feature / FeatureName: “SMB1Protocol-Server”
If you nevertheless enabled the SMBv1 protocol, in order to designate the current computer as the main Master Browser on the network, execute the commands:
Reg add “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ Browser \ Parameters” / v IsDomainMaster / t REG_SZ / d True / freg add “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ Browser \ Parameters” / v MaintainServerList / t REG / Yes / f
This computer will be your Master Browser.
Enable network discovery in Windows 10
In Windows October 1803 (Spring Creators Update), the developers removed the ability to create a homegroup of computers, in addition, computers with Windows 10 no longer appear in the Network Neighborhood of Explorer when viewing network devices.
The fact is that from the point of view of Microsoft, workgroups are outdated functionality of organizing a local network for accessing shared resources and printers. Instead of using a workgroup, Microsoft suggests using its Cloud services (OneDrive or access through Microsoft Accounts), in my opinion this is unjustified.
However, in fact, in order to gain access to the resources of a second computer in the local network in Windows 1803, you need to know its name (\\ pcname1) or IP addresses (in the format \\ 192.168.1.100), but neighboring computers are NOT displayed in the network environment. However, this can be fixed.
The fact is that a separate Function Discovery Provider Host service is responsible for detecting neighboring computers on the Windows 10 network, and another service is responsible for detecting your computer. Function Discovery Resource Publication.
These protocols replace NetBIOS over TCP / IP, which was historically used to discover devices on Master Browser networks. Accordingly, you can safely disable NetBIOS for your network adapters.
After installing some builds of Windows 10, these services may be disabled (auto start type changed to disabled). If these services are stopped, the computer is NOT discoverable on the network by other computers, and it cannot discover others by itself. You can enable Autodiscover services in Windows 10 like this.
- Open Windows Services Management Console (services.Msc)
- In the list of services, find the FunctionDiscoveryResourcePublication service;
- Change the service startup type from Manual to Automatic (Delayed Start)
- Likewise enable the FunctionDiscoveryProviderHost service (Discovery Function Provider Host)
After restarting, other computers on the local network smog Finding this computer and its resources (printers and shared folders).
Windows 10 does not see network folders
In some cases, Windows 10 can see a neighboring device in Network Neighborhood, but cannot display a list of network folders on it. Most often this is accompanied by the error “0x80070035. Network path not found”. The solution to this problem is described in this article.
If a neighboring computer (device) is visible on the network, but when you try to open any network folder from Network Neighborhood or on a UNC path (\\ Computer_name_or_IP), an error appears “You cannot Access this shared folder, because your organization’s security policies block the guest unauthenticated access “. In this case, you need to enable the AllowInsecureGuestAuth registry parameter (details in the article at the link):
Reg add HKLM \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ LanmanWorkstation \ Parameters / v AllowInsecureGuestAuth / t reg_dword / d 00000001 / f
When it comes to missing hardware, you have to admit that sometimes the Windows 10 Problem Solver works fine. Try!
- Win S for calling search.
- We type “troubleshooting.”
- Select the line Troubleshooting.
- Go to the section equipment and sound.
- Select the section you want.
Learning to search for software
Sometimes the problem is that the user is NOT able to search. It should be noted that not all devices and printers have suitable software, but in most cases it still exists.
- Go to the manufacturer’s website.
- Find the driver search form.
- Enter the device name in the line.
- After a while, the available results are displayed. There is a high probability of finding just what you need.
- As a rule, the manufacturer provides a wide range of customizable options.
However, in our case, there are no tens. What to do? The speed of updating Windows to new versions is so high that manufacturers SIMply do not have time to update all software. In this case, some companies provide generic drivers that fit most hardware. If the printer does not work in Windows 10, try this option.
As you can see from the screenshot, in our case the file name is upd-pcl5-x32-126.96.36.19926.Exe. We set the corresponding request to Google (site: HP.com upd-pcl5-x32-188.8.131.5226.Exe download) and literally on the second page we find the necessary.
The version is not the one listed in the Microsoft discussions, this is a newer version. This is easy to see by looking at the release history. The information presented in the table indicates that the software we have chosen is not the newest. The last release is in October 2016. Will it support laserjet 1010? Huge question mark, for which you should study the release notes. Try it, and you will surely find what you need, as well as the author of the request, whose box is given above in the text.
Windows 10 does not see the network printer. Topic: Windows 10 Can’t See Printer
- The problem when after updating windows 10 does not see the printer is associated with the update itself. Windows 10 itself has a utility that is just responsible for office devices, and will scan the computer to find the reasons why windows 10 does not see the printer, and how to fix it.
Click Start, open the Troubleshooting section, go to the Hardware and Sound section and click Printers and Next.
Scanning for drivers and fixing printer problems will begin. If windows 10 does not see the printer, it is not displayed anywhere, then it should be added manually.
In the lower left corner, click on the notification icon and open All options. Then successively Devices and finally Printers and scanners, where click Add a printer or scanner.
Wait while the system finds it, adds and installs the necessary drivers. Of course, if you have an Internet connection.
Some printer models refuse to work with Windows 10, but major printer manufacturers such as HP, Epson, Canon, Panasonic, Xerox have posted instructions and drivers on their websites if Windows 10 itself does not cope. So, if your windows 10 does not see the HP printer, then you have a direct road to Support HP.
Last edited by Master; 10/06/2016 at 2:09.
Adding hardware manually
- Press Win I.
- Go to devices.
- Click Add.
- Search starts.
- You will see for sure that you CANNOT find the equipment you need. Then click the link Required printer.
Select the My printer is pretty old option. Here you can manually enter the network equipment if you cannot find it using standard means. We strongly advise against calling Microsoft, but you can try contacting the manufacturer of office equipment.
Windows 10 does not see the printer
It should be noted that the malfunction manifests itself regardless of the manufacturer of the device’s peripherals. Users of old people HP, Samsung, Epson and Cannon are suffering. The PC ceases to see predominantly outdated hardware, on which there are no longer suitable drivers for dozens of drivers. Users just can’t run the installer.
From time to time, a copy comes across, and not visible in the Devices and Printers folder. The solution is SIMple. a PC restart is required.
An example is shown in the screenshot. Actually, the name and manufacturer do not matter, just try this solution as one of the ways to solve the problem.
Driver installation wizard DOES NOT start
Sometimes the driver is available, but does NOT want to be installed in any way. Apparently, when the software starts, it scans the system and finds that the identifier does NOT match the specified one. In this case, a message appears stating that the OS version is not supported. The problem is precisely that fresh firewood can NOT be found with fire during the day. In this case, it is recommended to do the following:
- See if there is any new USB hardware in the device manager without a driver. These are usually marked with question marks or exclamation marks. To enter the device manager, press Win X and select the desired option from the menu.
- Look in the USB section for incorrectly identified devices. The screen is for example only.
- Unpack the driver package into a directory with a known name.
- Right click on the exclamation mark USB device and update the driver.
- When choosing source, specify search on “this PC”.
- In response to the wizard’s request, specify the directory with the unpacked archive.
Users claim that the printer on Windows 10 is quite worth the available software. Although the wizard, when trying to start, complains about incompatibility (answers.Microsoft.com/ru-ru/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/win-10Ч64-ne/e07a2bdb-d576-4754-93c9-545729bb0e70).
Services and components
It is known that the printer sometimes refuses to work even if the drivers and connections are fine. The whole problem is in the print manager service. It should just start manually.
- Win R.
- Type services.Msc.
- Find the required line in the list, check if the service is running.
- Double click on the name to get more information.
Before connecting the printer, make sure the service is functional. In order not to guess later why the laptop does not see office equipment.
The cause of the printer malfunctioning on a Windows computer may be incorrectly installed drivers or a malfunction. To check this, you should do the following:
- Go to the “Control Panel” and find the item “Device Manager” in it;
- In the window that appears, all devices connected to the system unit will be displayed. you need to find the desired printer in the list, then right-click on its name;
- In the tab that opens, select the “Properties” item and read the information specified there;
- If it says that the drivers needed for the operation were not found, you need to install the required software.
Drivers can be installed using the DVD-ROM that comes with the printer. If there is none, then they can be downloaded from the official website of the developer. It should be borne in mind that the software should be specifically for this model.
The drivers are installed as follows:
- You must run the driver installer;
- Follow the prompts to install the software;
- Make sure the connected printing device is detected;
- Print test page.
What to do if the computer does NOT recognize the network printer
There are several ways to solve the problem if the computer does not see network printers.
Diagnose and check physical faults
The first step is to check the functionality of the USB cable and ports. Very often, even minor mechanical damage can lead to failure of the cord or socket on one of the connected devices. To check the serviceability, it is advisable to carry out diagnostics. This can be done using special Windows tools. This requires:
- Go to the “Control Panel” menu and go to “Devices and Printers”;
- Find the required printer and click on the icon with its image with the right mouse button;
- In the window that appears, you need to select “Troubleshooting”;
- After the program finishes its work, it may offer other options to eliminate the problems found: update drivers, check the correct connection between the printer and the computer, and others.
It is also necessary to check the USB cable plug for damage and whether it is connected to both devices. The plug must be firmly inserted, no backlash is allowed. In addition, it is worth checking if the printer is turned on and if there is ink in the toner.
Why Windows 10 can’t see a network printer
There may be several reasons why the printer is not visible on the windows network. The most common are:
- The contact of the USB connection is broken. This type of problem can be caused by: damage to the USB cable, malfunction of the USB ports of one of the devices or plug, poor contact quality.
- Incorrect operation of drivers. It is usually caused by a virus.
- Incorrect connection settings. If several printing devices are connected to the system unit, it can designate an inactive printer as the main one.
- The inability to connect can be caused by updating Windows to a newer version.
- Disable Auto Print Service.
- Product malfunction.
Windows 10 does not see the network printer
The main task of the printer is to print the required files. To do this, it is connected to the system unit or laptop. Any malfunction of one of the connected devices will result in the computer NOT being able to see the printer connected to it. This makes it impossible to print the required files.
Other ways to solve the problem
If the printer is connected to the system unit for the first time, and previously used another device, then you need to check the print settings. By default, the previously installed printer can be specified.
To check this, and, if necessary, fix it, you need to go to the “Devices and Printers” tab and find the required one. Its icon should be named with the right mouse button. In the window that opens, you need to find the line “Use by default” and put a tick next to it.
If the connection is via a local area network or wireless, then the following should be done:
- There are several PCs in the local network, one of which is the main one. it should be turned on.
- Then check the settings. Often the set IP addresses “flies”. If it is not registered in the corresponding line, you need to enter it again.
- When connecting via Wi-Fi, you need to restart the network. You should also check the presence and quality of the signal.
- If the router is located far from the PC, you must place it closer to the system unit.
Some users face this problem after upgrading the operating system to Windows 10. Despite the fact that the developers claim that the printer does not have to fail, you should reinstall the drivers. Download the current version on the official website.
If none of the methods helped, then you need to contact the service workshop, since the reason may be the failure of the product itself.