How to increase / decrease brightness on iPhone?
So, today’s article will be devoted to a very simple topic, but very important. let’s talk about the brightness on your iPhone. How it can be decreased, increased and other points with the setting.
We will also discuss some of the problems that may arise and what exactly to do in such situations. It will be very informative and if you do not want to read all the material, just select the question that interests you.
How to make the screen brightness on iPhone more / less?
Quite often there are situations when there is a need to increase or decrease the brightness on your iPhone. And there are a lot of them.
Probably the most popular cases are the situation before going to bed, when the phone is too bright or on a sunny day, when the brightness is simply not enough to see something.
There are two whole ways of setting and now I will tell you about each of them.
Option one. The most convenient and simple option to adjust the brightness is the control panel. It gets called quickly enough. Just swipe up from the bottom of the screen, a panel appears and adjust the brightness as you like. Simpler, there is a simpler option, but more on that later.
Option two. If you do not like the previous method or for some reason, you simply cannot call the control panel.
- go to Settings. Screen and brightness;
- we see the slider and moving it will change the brightness of the screen.
Use the method you like the most. But now I’ll tell you about a function that has made the life of owners very easy for many years.
Why does the brightness change on the iPhone itself?
As many probably already understood, we will talk about auto brightness. In any iPhone, you can find a light sensor and most often it is located above the earpiece. Thanks to him, phones adjust your brightness automatically, which greatly helps to save battery life and not spoil your eyesight.
To check its performance, it is enough to drastically change the lighting environment. For example, come out of the dark into the light and you will see how changes take place.
In fact, this is the third way to configure, but if you prefer to configure exclusively manually, then just follow these steps:
- go through the same steps Settings. Screen and brightness;
- turn off the slider opposite the word Auto Brightness.
As for me, the thing is very convenient. I usually turn it off in cases where you really need to save the battery and configure everything yourself.
But here it is up to you to decide, because each user has his own preferences. So just do whatever suits you best.
Where is auto brightness in iOS 11 and iOS 12
On gadgets with the eleventh operating system, the option is located in an unusual place: the subsection “Display and brightness”. You can find it according to the following instructions:
- Go to “Settings”.
- Move to “General”.
- Go to “Accessibility”.
- Then. in “Display adaptation”.
The general functionality of the application has not changed, despite the unusual location of the localization. It adjusts the brightness of the displays on Apple mobile devices, changing its level in accordance with the light indicators. The feature is initially enabled by default, just like in all previous versions of iOS. IOS 12 auto-brightness is located at a similar address.
The relocation of the program switcher surprised the company’s regular users. Given the fact that it is the most commonly used, the developers’ attempt to hide it was not received with enthusiasm.
According to the main version of the hidden function, the company does not want the owners of prestigious smartphones to turn off this application. If you pay attention to its description, then turning off the auto brightness can negatively affect the amount of battery life. And for some variants of gadgets, its dysfunction can serve as source of rapid burnout of the display and shorten its service life.
The second version of hiding the coveted button is due to the fact that the company was unable to make a sufficient battery capacity, and if you do not remove the energy-saving mode, you can extend the battery life. Despite all the efforts, it is not difficult to configure the application on the thirteenth and other operating systems.
Important! Regardless of the version of the iPhone: 6 s, se, XR, a change in the application settings does not guarantee an increase in the gadget’s offline operation. The user can accidentally set the level of maximum illumination and forget about it for a while. As a result, the battery will be discharged several times faster than when the utility is actively running.
Which iOS versions support automatic brightness control
Auto-backlight in its current form was introduced with the sixth version of iOS. In all subsequent operating systems from 6 to 13, it is permanently connected and only the users themselves can change its settings or completely remove it.
- automatic adjustment for any kind of lighting;
- no glare on the screen on a sunny day and the ability to calmly read incoming messages;
- night vision protection. for those who like reading in bed;
- prevention of gadget screen burnout;
- forced cooling of the processor by reducing display activity.
Important! Despite the active dislike of phone owners for this function, it has more positive qualities than negative ones. The main disadvantage is incorrect lighting in case of sensor breakage or lack of timely calibration.
How to turn off auto brightness on iPhone iOS 13
- Go to the “Settings” menu.
- Find the subsection “Accessibility”.
- After clicking on it, the inscription “Text size and display” will appear.
- Its activation will lead to the appearance of a list, at the end of which there is a “Brightness switch”.
The developers draw your attention to the fact that experts have conducted research. They showed that most of the smartphone owners who turned off the specified functionality faced the problem of a quick loss of battery power.
After turning it off, the display brightness is monitored for some time (at an extremely low level), then the adjustment is lost. In the dark, it does not decrease, and on a sunny day, for some reason, users set the maximum indicators.
Turning off auto brightness leads to frequent recharging
Important! The experts came to the conclusion that manual adjustment is not an ideal solution to the problem. Violation of the mode leads to an accelerated discharge of the battery. when using the light sensor, such problems do not arise. That is why it was built into smartphones.
How to turn off auto brightness in older versions of iOS
How to turn off auto brightness on iPhone 7:
- Go to the “Settings” menu.
- Find the subsection “Brightness and Wallpaper”.
- Move the “Auto-brightness” key to the inactive position.
- Go to “Control Center”.
- Swipe up from the bottom edge of the display.
- Adjust according to your own taste slider: up or down.
After stopping the autofunctional, you can reduce the brightness of the display to a level lower than the minimum set by the company. The procedure requires a step-by-step execution:
- From the “Settings” menu go to the “Basic” subsection.
- They look for the inscription “Universal access”, from it they go to “Increase”.
- In this section, they look for the “Zoom Area” button and put a tick next to the “Full Screen” button.
- Go back one step and turn on the “Increase” toggle switch.
- Do a triple-click with your fingers on the display. the process leads to the appearance of a special field in which you need to move the slider to the left side to the maximum values.
- In the same window, click on “Select filter” and check the box next to the inscription “Weak light”.
The next step is to activate the mode by triple pressing the Home button. To complete the procedure, go to “Settings”, then to “General”, move to “Accessibility”, from it. to “Keyboard shortcut” and “Zoom”. A checkmark is placed next to the last item.
Important! Subsequent triple clicks on the Home key will activate the display backlight dimming mode on an iPhone or iPad running on version 8 or higher. If, when performing actions, move the slider to the left side until it stops, then the device will start to work at a minimum level. lower than the company originally set.
Why does the brightness on the iPhone change itself
Why does the iPhone change the brightness of the screen by itself? The function is designed to improve the convenience of using a smartphone. It should not dazzle the user in absolute darkness and work normally in bright sun without extraneous glare. The second most important task is to reduce battery consumption and increase battery life.
All of this needs to be considered before wondering how you can turn off automatic brightness on an iPhone. When the utility stops working on new X-series gadgets, serious consequences may occur. They are equipped with screens of the AMOLED family. Despite their high level of clarity and reduced power consumption, they tend to fade quickly. With spontaneously set brightness indicators, the process will go much faster.
Users are wondering why the screen brightness is darker on the iPhone. There are several versions of the problem:
- The “auto brightness” mode is on, so the display dims as you use the gadget, normalizing the load on the processor.
- Dimming due to strong heating of the display. The decrease in brightness is due to the device trying to reduce the load on the processor. In this way, it prevents overheating. The solution to the problem is to replace the cover, which does not allow air to pass through and causes excessive heating of the smartphone. The manufacturer recommends purchasing “native” products designed for a specific version of the phone.
- Discharged or damaged battery. If the operating system does not report the end of the battery charge, then the problem lies in its malfunction. Only a check will give an exact answer as to why the problems arose: a failure in the OS or a broken battery. In the first case, the issue is solved by reinstalling the operating system, in the second. by replacing the damaged battery.
When blackout appears for no apparent reason, experts advise taking a number of actions:
- Thoroughly wipe the top of the display near the speaker. In some cases, accumulated dirt interferes with the normal operation of the sensor.
- Move your smartphone to a dark room and quickly bring it to a bright light source (lamp or flashlight). With a functioning sensor, an automatic adjustment of the display brightness will occur.
- Check the operation in the auto brightness off mode: move to the “Settings” section, from them to the “General”, then go to “Universal access” and “Display adaptation”.
In the latter version, spontaneous dimming indicates a serious problem that requires contacting the nearest service center. If, after turning off the function, the brightness does not change, but remains at the same level, then there is a failure in the light sensor.
Important! The front panel of the smartphone is equipped with special devices located near the earpiece. They are responsible for adjusting, which depends on the degree of illumination and proximity to objects. The display becomes brighter in light and darker in the room, it can turn off when you start a conversation and bring the gadget to your ear.
How to turn off auto brightness on iPhone in iOS 11, 12 and 13
Buying a prestigious phone is often accompanied by such an unpleasant event as a spontaneous change in the brightness level of the display. A sudden darkening of the screen is irritating to users, especially those with low vision (nearsightedness or hyperopia). Over time, the owners of gadgets have a legitimate question, how to turn off auto brightness on the iPhone and correctly adjust its illumination.
How to turn on auto brightness on iPhone
How to turn on auto brightness on iPhone? There are two techniques. The first involves using the “Search” function on a smartphone:
- Go to the “Settings” section.
- Swipe down on the screen.
- There will be a field for entering a request.
- “Auto brightness” is added to it.
- Search will show the location of the settings item.
- After clicking on it, you will go to “Display adaptation”.
- It contains the required function.
The second method is performed through the standard “Settings” menu. You can find the desired item by going to “Basic”, further moving from “Universal Access” to “Display adaptation”.
To adjust the auto function in a smartphone, you need a bright flashlight and a completely dark room. Such conditions will allow for the most accurate adjustment of the light sensors located on the device. The procedure is carried out according to the algorithm:
- Go to the “Settings” section.
- Select the “Wallpaper and brightness” tab.
- A window appears on the display.
- Move into a dark room or turn off the lights.
- Disable the “Auto Brightness” mode on the device.
- Set the desired brightness level and wait a few seconds for the settings to be saved.
- They turn on the flashlight and bring it as close to the front camera as possible and set the display brightness to optimal values (the slider is moved to almost 100%).
- After saving the secondary settings, they leave the room and turn on the “Auto Brightness” functionality.
Important! After such a simple calibration, the function will start working in the correct mode, without intermittent failures. Due to one activation of the functionality, it will not be regulated.
How to turn on / off Auto Brightness in iPhone iOS | Apple iPhone 5s/6/6s/7/7 plus/8/X/11/12
Carrying out the manipulation will increase the battery life of the gadget, which will stop actively absorbing the battery charge. If the user wants to save even more, then the whole process must be repeated, and the slider should be set at the mark “slightly more than the middle”. This will make it harder to read the display on a sunny day, but the battery will drain more slowly.
Sometimes smartphone owners are faced with a feature in which there is no auto-function switch in the indicated sections, but instead a warning is lit that the battery life of the device will be significantly reduced. The problem is related to damage to the light sensor, which tells the operating system to dim or lighten the display. The only solution in this situation is to contact the service center and repair the breakdown.
The decision to stop the described function remains with the owner of a prestigious smartphone. If he is sure that he will not forget to carry out the adjustment or constantly keep it at an energy-saving level, then it can be removed. Then the procedure will significantly extend the autonomous operation of the gadget. If you do not want to constantly deal with the regulation of the lighting, it is better to leave everything as it is and not dig into the device settings once again.
How to deactivate the “Auto brightness” option on a smartphone
After the release of version 11 of the software, automatic configuration is enabled by default on the phone. In the same mode, it works on iOS 12. Despite the automatic process, the user can independently adjust the saturation level of the screen in the control center. But as soon as the situation changes, the phone itself will adjust the necessary parameters.
There are situations when auto-tuning does not work properly, or the user prefers to select parameters on his own. In this case, it is possible to deactivate “Auto brightness“. The operation is performed according to the following scheme:
- the smartphone needs to be unlocked;
- on the main screen you should find an icon with a gear “Settings”;
- after navigating through the item, the user selects the “Basic” section;
- a list will be displayed on the screen, in it you should click on the “Universal access” subsection;
- further from the list the item “Display adaptation” is selected;
- when the user enters the subsection, he will see the “Auto Brightness” option;
- the slider located next to it is moved to the inactive position.
When using iOS 13, the operation to disable the function is performed according to a different instruction:
- the user must unlock the cell phone;
- then on the screen you need to find an icon with the name “Settings”;
- now the client selects the “Universal Access” section;
- after the transition, several items will be displayed on the screen “;
- the owner clicks on the title “Display and Text Size”;
- then select the sub-item “Auto brightness”.
To deactivate the function, you just need to move the slider to the “Off” position. After that, auto brightness will not change the saturation of the screen automatically.
How to set up manually through the Control Center
If the client wants to make the screen less or brighter, he only needs the “Control Center” on the smartphone. In this case, there is no need to enter the settings section. But it is also impossible to activate additional services through such a panel. The operation is performed according to the following scheme:
iPhone X: How To Turn Off Auto Brightness (Apple hid it!)
- the control panel opens on the smartphone;
- to open it, you need to make a swipe from the bottom up;
- when the control point opens on the phone, the “Sun” icon will be located there;
- the user can now drag the slider above or below.
As the slider is moved down, the color saturation decreases. After moving the slider up, the display becomes richer.
Adjusting brightness on iPhone
Apple smartphone users know that the screen can change the brightness level itself depending on the lighting in the room. But there are situations when the setting is performed incorrectly, which prevents the owner from reading the text and using the gadget. In this case, the client will need information on how to make the brightness on the iPhone.
Increase and decrease display saturation
The adjustment is carried out through the section “Settings” in the cell phone. To brighten the screen on an iPhone, the client should follow these instructions:
- the smartphone needs to be unlocked;
- on the screen you need to find an icon with the name “Settings”;
- then from the presented list the item “Brightness and screen” is selected;
- to make an adjustment, you need to move the slider to the left or right.
Here, the customer can select dark mode to turn off the standard white display. This option is designed to reduce eye strain when using the phone. Immediately after activating the function, the smartphone interface will turn black in all applications.
Additionally, in the same section, the client can look at the “True Tone” service. Immediately after activating the option, the phone itself will determine the lighting by sensors, and then select the appropriate level of color saturation. In this case, the image will become natural, making the text easy to read.
- To reduce eye strain, use the “Night Shift” function. Once connected, the display color options will be soft and warm, which will also reduce eye strain.
You can also turn on the Night Shift function, which makes the colors on the screen warmer, thus reducing eye strain. This feature is useful for smartphones with a small screen.
How to activate the “Auto Brightness” option on iPhone
If the user is wondering how to make the brightness even lower on their iPhone, they can apply automatic adjustment. Prior to iOS 11, the customer could complete the procedure using the control panel, but the operation was performed manually. When the company provided software version 11, the item was moved to the “Universal Access” section. The user must find the desired section in the smartphone, and then open it. Then the required subsection is selected and the “Auto Brightness” option is activated. Immediately after activating the function, the phone will adjust to the lighting in the room.
Features of setting the brightness level of the display
Before talking about the process of choosing the brightness level of a cell phone, it is worth talking about the features. Manufacturers on new versions of the software have provided the ability to automatically change the saturation of the screen. When the owner is in a dark room, the smartphone becomes darker. In the event that the user is currently using the gadget in a well-lit room or outdoors, the gadget itself makes the colors richer. This allows you not to mess with the settings manually.
- The new version of iOS provides an additional option “Dark theme”. It allows you to remove the white screen by changing it to black on the iPhone. Many cell phone owners have appreciated the function and use it.
For what reasons, the brightness of the display may decrease
If Auto Brightness is enabled, it can make the screen darker on the user’s iPhone. This option independently controls the lighting level in the room. This allows the smartphone to select the desired color saturation level without assistance. This function makes it possible to optimize the load on the processor and make the use of the smartphone comfortable. But there are also other reasons why the brightness level drops:
How To Make your iPhone Display Brighter than MAX or Darker than MIN!
- Your smartphone battery is damaged or discharged. The display gets darker when your smartphone runs out of battery. If the phone does not show that the battery is low, then it is damaged. It is recommended that you contact a service center to check the operation of the battery. In the event that the battery is working properly, the problem may be an OS failure. In this case, it is recommended to reinstall it.
- The smartphone is overheating. When an iPhone gets very hot, its display becomes dimmer. This is provided by automatic settings to reduce the load on the processor. This way the phone prevents overheating on its own. To solve the problem, it is recommended to remove the used case from the smartphone. Users should only use covers from Apple, so as not to face an unpleasant situation.
If the owner of the gadget needs to adjust the brightness level of the smartphone, he can use the “Settings” section or go to the “Control Center”. Also, the phone provides “Auto brightness” and “Dark theme”.