Your printer is connected to the correct Wi-Fi network?
Check your printer’s wireless LAN settings again to make sure it is connected to your home Wi-Fi network. Take a look at your router to confirm the SSID and password and try re-entering the network information into the printer.
How to use a printer with two computers without a router | Small Business
To share the printer between two computers, both computers must be on the same network. Business networks are usually created using a network router, but you can also create small networks using just two computers and a network cable, which avoids the unnecessary costs of buying a router if you have a small office and don’t plan on using more than two. computers. To use the printer with two computers and without a router, create a computer-to-computer network.
Connect a network cable or crossover network cable to one of the network ports on the first computer. Connect the other end of the cable to the network port on the second computer.
Log on to one of the computers, and then right-click the network icon in the taskbar area of the taskbar. Select “Open Network and Sharing Center” from the context menu, and then double-click the icon next to the label “Unidentified network” or “Multiple networks”.
Click the message bar at the top of the window that says “Network discovery and file sharing is disabled” and then select the “Turn on network discovery and file sharing” option on the next page. Click “Save Changes” and then return to ” Network and Sharing Center ”. Click Change Advanced Sharing Settings, select Enable File and Printer Sharing, and then click Save Changes again.
Connect the printer to the first computer. Click the Start menu, select Devices and Printers, right-click your printer, select Printer Properties, click the Sharing tab and check the Share this printer box.
Open Devices and Printers on the second computer, click Add Printer, select the Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer option, click a printer, click Next, and then follow the remaining prompts. to finish adding the shared printer Both computers can now use the printer.
Open Windows Settings
- In the lower left corner of the screen, click the Windows icon to open the Start menu.
- At the bottom of the leftmost column, you should see a gear icon indicating your settings. window
We perform this and the next items on the first “PC”.
We enable network discovery through the control panel. This will allow other network members to see it on the LAN.
Find your printer
- Open the app on your Apple device that you want to print with
- After you get the document you want, tap the app share icon
- From the list of shared options, tap the Print icon and select your printer
How to connect one printer to two computers via a USB hub or network
If you have a second PC or laptop in your home or office, the question often arises of how to connect one printer to two computers at the same time. This use of a printing device allows you to significantly save on the purchase of new equipment in the office or to make printing more convenient. It turns out that the solution to the problem exists and it is quite simple if you have certain skills in working with computer and office equipment.
Let’s consider several options on how to connect a printer to 2 computers using a USB hub, another network PC, a print server. Each step of the necessary actions has a detailed description with screenshots, which will help to connect even inexperienced users at home.
Connect your printer
- After you clicked “Add Printer or Scanner”, Windows should detect your printer is connected via USB cable
- When your printer name appears, click it and complete the installation according to your computer’s instructions
That’s all! Your printer should be plugged in and up and running, ready to print beautiful pages.
Connect your printer to your computer
- On the Devices screen, you should find the Add Printer or Scanner option
- After clicking on it, the name of your printer. usually with the manufacturer’s name and model number. should appear as available.
- Select “Add a device” and your computer will do the rest to complete the wireless setup.
How to connect two computers to one printer?
If you have several personal computers or laptops, it is often necessary to connect them to a peripheral device. This approach is due, among other things, to a real opportunity to reduce the cost of purchasing office equipment. In some situations, the answer to the question of how to interface two or more computers with one printer or MFP becomes relevant. Naturally, such manipulations have a whole list of features.
Initially, it should be noted that the printer interface is not designed to process data coming in parallel from two or more pieces of equipment. In other words, the printing device is focused on interaction with one personal computer.
It is this moment that should be taken into account when interfacing several units of office equipment in one system.
If there is no possibility or desire to connect equipment via a local network, then two alternative options become relevant, namely:
- installation of LTP or USB hub;
- manual switching of a printing device from one PC to another through the corresponding ports.
Taking into account all of the above, we can conclude that connecting devices in this way is relevant:
- in situations where office equipment is rarely used;
- in the absence of the possibility of forming a network for one reason or another.
Special USB hubs are now available on the market, with which you can connect multiple PCs or laptops to one port. However, the financial side of the issue will be a significant disadvantage. At the same time, creating a network for two PCs will not require tangible costs.
But, despite all the nuances, the described method remains relevant, on the basis of which it is worth considering the features of the work of the mentioned hubs. They provide signal transfer from one equipment to another, similar to a single printer connection.
It should be borne in mind that this method of communication is most suitable for one workplace equipped with two computers, provided that the data is effectively protected.
Taking into account all the technical features and performance indicators of special devices, the following points can be highlighted:
- A USB hub is the best option if the set of equipment is used primarily for printing documents and photos;
LTP is a high-speed interface widely and successfully used in professional printing. This also applies to the processing of documents with complex gradient fills.
Features of the
If you needed to connect two computers or laptops to one printer, then all possible ways to solve such a problem should be considered. The classic version of connecting 2 or more PCs to 1 printing or multifunctional device involves the use of a local network. An alternative would be to use USB and LTP hubs. In addition, you can install Data SWIYCH. a device with a manual switch.
To understand which technology will be the best option in each specific case, it is necessary to objectively assess the available opportunities. In this case, the key will be the answers to the following important questions:
- whether a computer or laptop is part of a local network;
- connection between PCs is carried out directly or through a router;
- whether a router is available and what kind of connectors it is equipped with;
- what methods of equipment pairing are provided by the printer and MFP device.
Setting up the printer
After pairing the computers with each other within the local network, you should proceed to the next stage, during which you will need to configure the software and the entire system, including the printing device. First of all, you need to create a homegroup by following these steps:
- Go to the “Start” menu and select “Connection”. Find the item that displays all connections and select the option for the local network.
- Go to the properties section of this element. In the window that opens, select “Internet Protocol TCP / IP”.
- Edit network parameters by going to properties menu.
- Prescribe in the fields the IP addresses specified in the instructions.
The next step is to create a workgroup, which will include all devices connected to each other. The aLGorithm of actions provides for the following manipulations:
- open the “My Computer” menu and go to the properties of the operating system;
- in the “Computer name” section, use the “Change” option;
- in the appeared empty field, enter the name of the PC and confirm your actions;
- restart the device;
- repeat all the above steps with the second computer, assigning it a different name.
After the local network is created, you can go directly to the settings of the printer itself. You should first install it on one of the elements of this network. Then you need to do the following:
- After turning on the computer or laptop on which the printing device was previously installed, open the “Start” menu.
- Go to the tab displaying the list of available printers, and find the desired model of office equipment with which the PCs are interfaced within the local network.
- Open the menu of a peripheral device by clicking on its icon with the right mouse button and selecting the section with device properties.
- Go to the “Access” menu, where you should select the item responsible for providing access to the installed and connected printer. If necessary, here the user can change the name of the equipment for printing.
The next step is to set up a second personal computer. This process looks like this:
- first, repeat the above steps until you go to the “Printers and Faxes” section;
- call up an additional working window, in which you should select the section responsible for the installation of office equipment of the described type;
- click on the “Next” button and go to the network printer section;
- by going to the overview of available office equipment, select the device installed on the main computer of the local network.
As a result of such operations, the necessary software will be automatically installed on the second PC.
With all of these steps, you can make one printer or multifunction device available to multiple PCs that are part of the same network. At the same time, it is important to remember some of the nuances. On the one hand, the printer will be able to receive and process jobs from two computers at once. However, on the other hand, it is not recommended to send documents or images for printing in parallel, since in such cases so-called freezes are possible.
The most simple and at the same time the most accessible and technically competent way of connection can be safely called the use of Ethernet. It is important to take into account that this option provides for certain settings, including the operating system of the computers interfaced with the printer or MFP. When connecting several pieces of equipment remotely, the OS must be at least XP version. This is due to the need to detect the network connection in automatic mode.
Special attention should be paid to the use of print servers, which can be independent or integrated, as well as wired and wireless devices. They provide a fairly reliable and stable interaction of equipment for printing with a PC via Wi-Fi. At the stage of preparation, the server is powered from the mains and connected to an operating router. In parallel, you need to connect the printer itself to the gadget.
To configure the print server of the popular TP-Link brand, you need:
- open an Internet browser and enter the IP address in the address bar, which can be found in the attached manufacturer’s instructions;
- in the appeared working window, type “Admin”, leaving the password unchanged and click “Login”;
- in the menu that appears on the server itself, use the active “Setup” button;
- after adjusting the necessary parameters, it remains only to click on “Save Restart”, that is, “Save and restart”.
The next important step is to add an installed print server to your computer or laptop. This aLGorithm includes the following steps:
- Use the combination “WinR” and typing “Control printers” in the window that appears, click “Ok”.
- Click “Add Printer” and select “Add a local printer”.
- Go to the section for creating a new port and select the item “Standard TCP / IP Port” from the list.
- Register IP devices and confirm actions using the active “Next” button. It is important to uncheck the box next to the line “Poll the printer”.
- Go to “Special” and select the parameters section.
- Perform the transition according to the scheme “LRP”. “Parameters”. “lp1” and, having checked the item “Allowed counting of bytes in LPR”, confirm your actions.
- Select a connected printer from the list or install its drivers.
- Send a test page to print and click “Finish”.
After all the above manipulations, the printing device will be displayed on the computer, and it can be used for its intended purpose. To operate the printer and MFP in conjunction with several PCs on each of them, you will have to repeat the above steps.
The main disadvantage of this connection method is the incomplete compatibility of the server and the peripheral itself.
In the process of analyzing used to connect multiple PCs to one printing device, you must first pay attention to the most important factors. When choosing a suitable scheme, it is worth considering the following points:
- the presence of a local network, especially the pairing and interaction of its elements;
- the presence of a Wi-Fi router and its design features;
- what kind of connection options are available.
Regardless of the selected connection method, the printer itself must be installed on one of the PCs on the network. It is important to install the latest workable version of the corresponding software (drivers). Now you can find software on the Internet for almost all models of printers and MFPs.
In some situations, a peripheral device may be “invisible” after installation and connection. To fix the problem in the search process, you need to use the menu item “The required printer is missing” and find the device by its name and IP of the main PC.
A clear and detailed connection of the printer to the public access on a local network is presented in the following video.
How to connect one printer to two computers
If you are planning to find an answer to the question of how to connect a printer to two computers, then first of all you will have to synchronize both PCs with each other. But keep in mind that this procedure is only possible if these 2 computers have network cards. Today they equip any motherboard, but if suddenly your PC is rather old, and therefore it lacks a network card, then be sure to buy it and install it in the right place.
We create a working group
After you have connected 2 PCs to each other, using the appropriate cable for this purpose, you can start configuring the necessary software. To do this, you need to create a LAN home group.
- Open the start menu and go to the section called “Connection”.
- Click on the item that is responsible for displaying all connections, and select the option that implies organizing a LAN connection.
- Call the context menu of this element and open its properties.
- In the new window that opens, you should go to the tab “Internet Protocol TCP / IP”.
- Find the button with properties and click on it, after which you will see a field for editing network parameters.
- On one PC, write “192.168.0.1” in the IP address field, and “255.255.255.0” in the subnet mask field. On another PC, you have to enter “192.168.0.2” and “255.255.255.0” respectively. Be sure to remember to save your changes.
Now, to further solve the problem of how to connect several computers to 1 office equipment, in particular two, you have to create the so-called. a working group of existing units of electronic equipment.
- Open the context menu “My Computer”, then select the item that opens the system properties.
- Go to the “Computer Name” tab and click on “Change”.
- Now you should see an empty field where you need to enter any name for the PC. Save the made change by clicking “OK”.
- Restart your computer and do the same with other computer equipment. However, he will need to set a different name.
- After the next reboot, you will receive a LAN, consisting of two devices connected to each other.
Connecting a printer via a USB adapter
If you decide to connect two computers to one printer via USB, then you need a USB switch for the printer or a dedicated splitter for the printer. It should be noted that the USB switch for the printer allows you to connect, on the one hand, any USB office equipment, and on the other, two computers. In general, everything is very simple and practical.
Setting up the printer
To find the answer to the question of how to connect two computers to one printer, now all that remains is to configure the printing office equipment itself. By default, its installation must be done on one of the PCs. He, in turn, will be the main one in the previously created LAN. Therefore, first you will need to work with him.
- Open the list of Control Panel from the Start Menu.
- Go to the section containing the list of printers, where you need to find the icon for your device.
- Open the device menu by right-clicking on its icon and click on its properties.
- Go to the “Access” tab and check the box that denotes the provision of general access to this office equipment. If necessary, you can change its name.
- Now you need to configure the second PC unit. In this case, you need to do everything the same as with the first computer equipment, but only up to the category “Printers and Faxes”.
Thanks to the above steps, you can make one printer available to two personal computers connected to each other by a single local network. But keep in mind that the installed office equipment, although it will work, processing tasks coming from both computers, it is better not to send documents for printing from all devices at the same time. Otherwise, with thoughtless use, this office equipment may start to slow down or even freeze.
A case from office practice
Let’s complicate the task further and consider the situation when the printer is already connected to one of the computers via USB, but we need to provide access for printing to another PC. This requires the creation of a direct local area network between workplaces. This is most common in small offices.
The basic condition for such a scheme is the presence of a network card in the PC. In modern devices, it is present in all motherboards, but in old computers still used for office tasks, this moment should be monitored. The computers are connected using a patch cord. This is a twisted pair cable with the usual 8P8C network connectors.
Now let’s dig into the settings of each computer:
- through the “Control Panel” or the “Start” context menu, go to the connection section and select the item responsible for creating a local network;
- using the PCM, activate the properties of this item and go to the tab “Internet Protocol TCP / IP”;
- here, again in the properties, we register the IP address, which for one PC will be “192.168.0.1”, and for another “192.168.0.2”. The subnet mask is indicated everywhere the same “255.255.255.0”;
- so that our printer can somehow distinguish between two PCs, it is necessary to give each of them an original name (better in Latin and without spaces). This is done in the “Properties” of “My computer” on the “Computer name” tab. Here you can set or change the name of the workgroup.
We are ready to work over a local network, but for correct interaction between its components, go to the Homegroup settings (this is where the Network and the Internet is) and open “Change sharing settings”. Here you should put a checkmark in front of all permitting points. Now let’s pay attention directly to the printer.
- On the computer to which it is directly connected, go to the “Devices and Printers” menu and find our printing device. In its properties (through the right mouse button), go to “Access” and mark the granting of public access rights. If the name of the printer is too long, but you have only one, then here you can change the name for it to a more concise one (write it down immediately on paper, this may come in handy);
- On the second computer, we need to install a printer, for which we go to the menu with their overview and select “Add devices”. Ideally, Windows will scan the entire network environment and display the found devices, among which there should be our printer. In this situation, select it from the list and activate the automatic installation (not forgetting about the drivers).
- If the laptop does not see the printer, this operation will have to be performed manually. To do this, do not leave the device search window, click on the item “The required printer is missing in the search” located below. Here we select “Find a printer by address” and write the following “\\ IP of the main computer \ printer name” (here we need a note with his name).
You should find everything, and your task will remain the correct installation of the printer. By the way, I recommend adopting the described techniques for working with a local network and searching for devices, since they can be useful in different options for connecting a printing device.
The above method is convenient for printing documents from different devices, but has one significant drawback. The computer to which the printer is connected must be turned on. This issue is excluded when the printer has a built-in network card and is connected as a standalone network device.
How to combine devices without a network?
Ideally, the printer should have several ports (USB, LPT, COM, network) through which a print job is sent to it. Then everything is simple: We connect one computer to one connector, and the second to another. All you need is the correct cables.
The next option is considered with the same participants, but the printer or PC has one connector. As a rule, if the manufacturer allows such restrictions, then the choice is made in favor of USB. I have no doubt that this port will also be found on the two simplest laptops that we will connect to the printer. To implement this scheme, we need three USB-A to USB-B cables and an inexpensive two-port USB switch.
The disadvantage of this method is that this device can only work in one line mode and you need to use push-button switching to select a computer.
The advantage is that it works without a network between PCs.
How to connect two computers to one printer?
Good day, my dear readers.
As far as I know, the problem of access to a common printing device is quite relevant, since its solution has to be sought both at home and at work. I will conditionally simplify this task and tell you how to connect two computers to one printer. Having mastered this skill, you can easily cope with a large number of PCs.
With this connection, when several users work with it, the printer pays for itself faster. In addition, going to a printer with a USB flash drive is not a good idea: at home it is simply lazy, but at work it distracts from performing basic duties;
To understand the connection technology, you first need to decide on the capabilities you have and choose a scheme. I mean a few nuances:
- are the computers on your network,
- what is the connection between them, directly or through a router;
- is there a router at all and with what connectors;
- what methods of connecting the printer are provided.
Let’s start considering different options from simple to complex, but it’s not a fact that my rating system will coincide with yours. In any case, remember that for the printer to work correctly with a separate PC, a complete installation of the printing device (detection, configuration, installation of drivers) is necessary. Therefore, make sure that you have access to the necessary “firewood” on the disk or on the Internet.
Print Server. Public Solution
It is even better if this is done through a router, because then you can implement the work of a print server. To do this, you need to have a USB connector on the router, through which we will connect the printing device. Let’s take a look at our actions using the example of the most common TP-Link routers:
- We cannot do without a PC, because through the browser at 192.168.1.1 (or 192.168.0.1) we enter the router settings and go to “USB Settings” → “Print Server” and check its status, which should be “online”. You can stop and restart this option (for greater reliability);
- now on the disk offered to the router or on the Internet (on the official website) we find the USB Printer Controller Utilit program. Install it on a PC and run it on a PC;
- in the window that opens, we will see the name of the router and the printer connected to it. Right-click on the printer and select “Connect to Install”. If you have an MFP, then in addition to the settings for printing, you will have the option of connecting for scanning. Activate them.
In theory, now the router-printer bundle performs the functions of a server and it can be detected and installed on any PC in the network. If the device is not found, then we remember how we looked for it (see above). But now it will be easier to find the printer via TCP / IP, where you need to enter the address of the router.
This connection method has many advantages:
- no need to turn on other PCs;
- you can use at least three computers, at least four (depending on the network outputs of the router);
- print jobs are sent via wi-fi.
By the way, if the printer and router have WPS icons, then the entire connection is made by pressing two buttons.
Dear friends, I introduced you to relatively simple and straightforward ways to connect two computers to one printer.
In fact, there may be more such options, but they require additional software or special settings.
Hope that the information in this article will help you both at home and at work.
With this I say goodbye to you and wish you all the best.
We connect the monitor to two computers
A switch is a device capable of supplying a signal to the monitor screen from several PCs at once. In addition, it allows you to connect one set of peripheral devices. a keyboard and mouse and use them to control all computers. Many switches allow you to use a speaker system (mostly stereo) or headphones. When choosing a switch, you should pay attention to the set of ports. You need to be guided by the connectors on your peripherals. PS / 2 or USB for the mouse and “keyboard” and VGA or DVI for the monitor.
The assembly of switches can be done with or without a housing (box).
There is nothing difficult in assembling such a system. It is enough to connect the supplied cables and perform a few more steps. Let’s consider the connection using the example of the D-Link KVM-221 switch.
Please note that when performing the steps described above, both computers must be turned off, otherwise various errors may appear in the KVM operation.
If it is not there (this happens, especially in modern systems), you need to use an adapter depending on the type of output. DVI, HDMI or DisplayPort.
Audio cord plugs into line-out on built-in or discrete audio card.
Don’t forget to also connect USB to power the device.
Next, we include the same cables in the switch.
Connect the monitor, acoustics and mouse with keyboard to the corresponding connectors on the opposite side of the switch. After that, you can turn on computers and start work.
Switching between computers is carried out using a button on the switch body or hot keys, the set of which may differ for different devices, so read the manuals.
We connect two PCs to the monitor
As mentioned earlier, the second computer helps to work fully, while the first is engaged in high-resource tasks. It is not always convenient to change to another monitor, especially since there may be simply no place in your room to install a second system. The second monitor may also not be at hand for a number of reasons, including financial ones. Here special equipment comes to the rescue. a KVM switch or “switch”, as well as programs for remote access.
Remote access software
You can also use special programs such as TeamViewer to view and manage events on another computer. The disadvantage of this method is that it depends on the operating system, which significantly reduces the number of functions available in “hardware” control tools. For example, using software, you cannot configure the BIOS and perform various actions during boot, including from removable media.
Today we learned how to connect two or more computers to a monitor using a KVM switch. This approach allows you to simultaneously service several machines at once, as well as to rationally use their resources for work and solving everyday tasks.