How the hub works
In this case, the hub ensures that the printer signal is transmitted to a specific device, as it would be under the condition of a single connection. This method is more suitable for one workstation with two computers or if information is protected from interception on the network. Despite the fact that this type of fraud is not common, in some cases, the transmission of print data via a printer interface is more preferable and safe.
There are devices on sale that provide automatic switching with the desired computer, or you can purchase a switch with a mechanical switch. This way protects interfaces from damage.
When choosing an installation option, give preference to:
- LPT hub, if you are going to output large and complex images to a printing device;
- USB when you need to print documents and photos.
LPT is a high-speed interface used in professional printing of documents with complex gradient fills. Can USB be used in other cases? In these cases, the device is equipped with an increased bandwidth port.
Connecting a printer via USB or LPT hub
Depending on how the computers are installed, sometimes it is necessary to connect one peripheral device to two workstations. In general, the printer connection interface is not suitable for processing data over two cables, the interface is designed to work with only one computer.
What to do in this case if there is no desire or ability to connect the printer via a local network:
What is the disadvantage of this method, and when is it applicable? The disadvantage is that frequent port switching can lead to port failure. A good USB or LPT hub is equal to the cost of an inexpensive printer. In addition, when the terminals are removed from each other, it becomes necessary to extend the cable, but the maximum allowable length of USB 2.0 should not exceed 1.6 m.
It follows from this that you can connect the printer to two computers without a network:
- subject to rare use of a printing device;
- if you do not want to deploy a local network for security purposes.
Despite the controversy of this decision, there are commercially available splitter devices that allow you to connect several computers to one LPT or USB port. A significant limitation of such a solution is the price of the device, while deploying a network on two computers practically does not require additional costs.
Options for connecting the printer to two computers
In some cases, in small workgroups, it becomes necessary to connect the printer to two computers. In the classic version, this is solved using a local network. To do the same without a network, you need a dedicated LPT or USB hub. You can also use a special device like Data SWITCH, this device requires manual switching. Let’s look at the options for how to connect the printer to two computers via USB and other methods that may be needed in a practical solution. Is it possible to do it on a budget, cheaper than when deploying a network.
The simplest, most affordable, technically competent way to connect a printing device to two computers is Ethernet. over, the network can be deployed on a pair of computers connected by a network cable. Can you do it yourself? This solution will require some settings in the network parameters.
Instructions for connecting without the Internet in Windows 7, X:
- Connect computers with one network cable.
- Go to each of them in the “Network Connections” folder in the Control Panel.
- Set the network parameters and computer addresses 220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168, set the subnet mask.
- Next, install the device on one of the computers.
- On another computer, go to the Toolbox to the Printers tab.
- Click on the menu to add network and other types of printing devices.
- Specify. find a printer by its network address, enter 22.214.171.124 or 126.96.36.199, respectively, specify its name, uncheck the box for automatic driver selection.
- In the driver window, the model of the installed device is selected, if necessary, install it from the disk.
Then you can use the printer on multiple computers without restrictions. This setting is classic, the most optimal in most cases. In this case, a standard network interface is used to connect the entire working group of computers to the printing device.
The principle of operation corresponds to the principle of a switch or a hub, which is one of the computers. Others send data to print through it. In such cases, processing occurs in the background of Windows 7, and documents are printed according to the print receipt queue.
Such a connection is permissible:
- if you want to avoid sending print data over a network for security reasons;
- there are difficulties in setting up the network;
- when connecting computers at one workplace.
The option with a hub via USB or LPT is only applicable in a limited number of cases. The main practice is the purchase and installation of a separate printing device.
How to connect a printer to a computer
A printer is a device that today is present in almost every home or office. I remember how before, during my studies, to print a term paper or an essay, I had to go to various computer clubs or stalls that were equipped exclusively for printing, scanning and photocopying documents. But now it’s a completely different matter, now you won’t surprise anyone with a printer, it has become one of the integral devices for a computer, which is bought with it.
I already talked on the site about solving problems and errors when working with this miracle device. Now, for those who have just bought a printer and do not know how to connect it correctly, I will tell you how to do it with a detailed description accompanied by pictures in the form of an illustrative example.
Perhaps someone will say: “but what is there to connect it.” But at the end of the setup, the printer simply does not print, and maybe even an error of the type: “Failed to connect the printer. The print handler does not exist. ” Therefore, reading further, you will be able to connect and avoid the appearance of unnecessary and unnecessary problems and errors.
Below are two ways to connect your printer to your computer:
- Installing a local printer using a USB cable;
- Connecting a network printer by IP address;
- Connecting to a printer installed on another computer.
Connecting and configuring a printer via USB
First of all, after printing the printer and placing it in a row with the computer, you need to connect a USB cable to it. The other side, where the cable looks like a simple USB, is inserted into the computer.
Now, as always when setting up a computer, go to the control panel and select “Devices and Printers”. Before us will open all the devices that were additionally connected to the computer. To start the installation, in the top panel, click on “Add Printer”. A new window will appear where we select the type of connected printer. Since we have this USB device, then we select “Local printer”.
Further, by ticking “Use the next port” and click on the field with the name of free ports for connection, where from the drop-down list, select “USB001” and move on.
Now you have to select a driver for the installed device. In the list of the publisher, we look for the name of the manufacturer (Canon), and in the “Printers” field, the model itself (Canon LBP5960).
In the event that you did not find the name of your device, you will have to download and install the driver manually (A similar installation procedure was encountered here in the Windows XP setup). To do this, click on “Install from disk. “, Indicate the path of the previously downloaded driver and confirm by clicking” OK “.
At the next step, check “Replace existing driver”.
The installation and setup of the printer starts.
In the window for setting up sharing for a home computer, we cancel it by checking the corresponding item. If you are in the office, then you can leave it for further connectivity and printing from several computers to one printer.
Put a tick on “Use default printer” and click “Finish”.
Now in the device panel you can find the just connected printer.
How to connect a network printer
So, to install a printer that is connected to the Internet, we also click “Install Printer”. “Local Printer”. But now we mark “Create a new port” and select the port type “Standart TCP / IP Port”.
Next, in the first field we indicate the IP address of the printer, and in the second we give the port name for its further identification.
Further, everything is the same as in the first version. Select or install the driver manually, enable or disable general access and mark the printer as the main one by closing the window by clicking on “Finish”.
Connecting the Printer over a Network
What if there is only one printer, but there are many computers and everyone needs to print? This will help us to connect the printer over the network, namely from your PC to send a print job to the computer to which the device is connected, and it, in turn, will print the specified document.
The first and most important condition for printing over a network is that the printer is allowed to be shared. To do this, go to the printer properties, go to the “Access” tab, where we check the box for public access and specify the network name (for example: Xerox WC 5020), and click on apply to save the settings.
Now on all computers that need to be connected, go to “Devices and Printers” and click “Install Printer”. As before, select, add a local printer and create a new port “Local Port”.
In the window that appears, write the full path to the printer (computer name and network name of the printer).
- SergeyPC. the name of the computer you are connecting to;
- Xerox WC5020. the name of the printer that you specified when setting up sharing;
After clicking “OK”, we substitute the printer driver by clicking, install from disk and specifying the path to the folder where the downloaded driver is located, refuse to share, complete the connection by selecting the default printer and closing the installation window.
Also, I want to note, there is another option for connecting via the network, it is simple in itself, but it so happens that the installed printers refuse to work (They do not print or there are errors when printing.), But still I will acquaint you with it. All we need to do. this is to go over the network to the computer to which the device is connected.
Pressing the key combination “WinR” open the execution window, where we write the name of the computer: \\ SergeyPC. In the window that opens, you can see the printer to which you can connect: Xerox WC 5020. Now all that needs to be done. is to right-click on it and select “Connect”. It will not take a long installation process after which, you can safely print to this printer. I also want to note that during the installation process, the computer may ask you to install the driver. Therefore, in some cases, you may have to substitute the driver manually.
In general, if you figure it out and do it yourself at least once, you will immediately understand that there is nothing complicated. Unless, there may be problems with downloading and installing the driver (the wrong driver was downloaded or you cannot find the driver you need). If you failed to connect, or maybe you have something to add, or you just need help finding a driver for your device, then leave all your questions in the comments, I will definitely answer and help.
USB connection procedure
For many users, the solution to the question of how to connect a printer to a computer does not cause any particular difficulties. The procedure is quite simple and will be approximately identical for all printer models.
As already mentioned, if there is an Internet connection, drivers can be installed automatically (Windows is quite Smart). Another option, if the device is new, then it comes with an installation disc with all the necessary applications. How to work with it:
- Check if the printer is connected to the computer and the network.
- Insert a disc into the drive.
- Open the section “My Computer” on the laptop.
- In the pop-up window, double-click on the image of the drive.
- Either the program will start, or the disc itself will open. In the latter case, select the installation file from the list provided. It is usually denoted by the word “Setup”.
- Wait for the installation to complete.
What to do if you cannot connect to the printer
As already mentioned, solving the printing problem is quite simple. First of all, it is recommended to check the condition of the cable, whether it has come off, and whether there is any damage. In the latter case, the cord will most likely have to be replaced.
In addition, be sure to move from the control panel to “Printing devices” and check that the system is set to “Use by default”. This is especially true if different models of printers were installed on a PC or laptop.
Determining the one that is used is quite simple, there should be a check mark next to it. If this is not necessary, you just need to right-click on the attached object and assign the specified function to it.
What you need to connect
Before connecting the printer to your laptop, you must first prepare. What you need to do first:
- Check for working USB ports on the device. In any case, the device will need to be connected to a stationary computer or laptop.
- Find a place to place the printing device.
- Take care of drivers.
The last point is not always necessary, since modern devices, along with the connected Internet, often install the necessary drivers after connection. However, manufacturers usually include the necessary programs for work with the device.
Connecting the Printer with a Cable
Connection is carried out in the following order:
- A USB cable is taken and inserted into a working port on a computer or laptop.
- The other end of the cable must be inserted into the appropriate connector on the printer.
- The second wire is inserted into the socket.
- Next, turn on the printer using the start button, which can be located both on the front and on the back panel.
You can connect a printing device not only via a cable, but also via a Wi-Fi connection. This option is most convenient when using laptops. However, it should be borne in mind that in this case, the device will still need to be connected to another PC via a cable.
Note! After completing the connection of the two devices, it is recommended to look at the PC or laptop monitor. If everything is done correctly, a message should appear in the lower right corner stating that new hardware has been found.
After all the previous procedures have been successfully completed, it is recommended to go to the settings. Detailed description of how to configure the device:
There are many options for how exactly you can change the settings. Here is a list of the recommended ones:
- Change page orientation. You can put a portrait or landscape version.
- Change the size of the output sheets. Standard A4.
- Interlace, print text on both sides.
Setting up the device
Connecting with no installation disc
If Windows cannot connect to the printer using the automatic system and the driver disc is missing, you can use other methods. For example, find the necessary programs on the device manufacturer’s website. The user needs to specify the model in the search engine, select it and download the driver.
Note! The way to connect using programs is good because all the necessary utilities are available in free, and most importantly, free access, even for old models of devices.
The second option is using update programs from the Windows system itself:
- Go to devices through the control section.
- Expand item with printing devices.
- Find the model you need in the list.
- Right-click on the desired device and select “Update driver”.
- Further sub-item “Automatic update”.
How to connect a Samsung printer to a laptop
A printer is a useful device for home and office use. The mechanism of its operation is very clear and familiar to almost everyone. But when the need arises to connect it to a new computer, many users are lost. We’ll show you how to connect your Samsung printer to your laptop and use both devices effectively in tandem.
If you got the device without an installation disc, you can download the drivers yourself using the update function. To do this, go to the program manager, find the section with the same name and expand. Find the one you need, right-click on it. In the list that appears, select the line “Update drivers”. Select the “Automatic search” option and follow the system prompts.
If your device supports a wireless network connection, turn on the computer and wait for the computer to display a message that a new device has been found. Also, the gadget will appear in the list of active wi-fi connections and in the list of printers and faxes on PC.
Connecting the device is very simple. just insert one end of the cable into the desired connector on it, the other end needs to be inserted into the corresponding socket on the system unit.
After that, turn on the power button on the printer case. Usually the startup process is accompanied by a light or sound signal.
- After that we look at the monitor. There should be a message stating that new hardware has been found. The computer realized that a new device is connected, but does not yet understand which one. In order for the PC to be able to recognize it, you need to perform the following procedure.
- Left-click on the “Start” icon, then select the “Devices” section. If there is no such item in quick access, find it on the taskbar.
- If the configuration was done automatically, without errors, the connected device will be displayed in the list of active connections. If this does not happen, try connecting again.
Setting up the printer for work
Often, connected gadgets with correctly installed drivers start working automatically. Open the parameters menu by selecting the appropriate item in the context menu (called by right-clicking on the icon). Here you can adjust the page size, ink density, resolution (normal, landscape, portrait, etc.). It is recommended to print a test page to check if the settings are correct.
It is not enough to install the equipment, for correct operation it is also necessary to configure the drivers suitable for a specific operating system.
The set with the gadget usually comes with a driver disk. All the owner needs to do is simply insert the disc into the drive after plugging in and follow the prompts from the system. The software will install itself. After that, the system will display a message about the need to reboot. After reboot, the printer will be fully functional.
Connecting a Samsung printer to a laptop
The first thing to do is turn on the printer itself. This is necessary for the computer to identify the gadget. The device is connected using a USB cable, one end of which is connected to the case, the other, respectively, to the system unit.
The latest generation devices support wireless connectivity. Let’s consider each case in more detail.
We connect the scanner to the computer
First of all, even before connecting, you should allocate a place for the device in the workspace. Consider its dimensions, the length of the cable included in the kit, and so that you can comfortably scan. After the equipment is installed in its place, you can proceed to the beginning of connection and configuration. This process is conventionally divided into two steps. Let’s analyze each one in turn.
Preparation and connection
Pay attention to the complete set of the scanner. Read the instructions for use, find all necessary cables, make sure that they are not damaged externally. In addition, the device itself should be checked for cracks, chips. this may indicate that physical damage has been inflicted. If everything is ok, go to the connection itself:
- Turn on your computer or laptop, wait until the operating system is fully loaded.
- Install the scanner power cord into the appropriate connector, and then plug into a power outlet and start the equipment.
- Nowadays, the vast majority of printers, MFPs or scanners connect to a computer via USB-USB-B. Plug the USB-B cable into the connector on the scanner. Finding it won’t be a problem.
Connect the other side with USB to the laptop.
In the case of using a PC, there is no difference. The only recommendation would be to connect the cable through the port on the motherboard.
This completes the first part of the whole process, but the scanner is not yet ready to perform its functions. Without drivers, such equipment cannot work. Let’s get to the second step.
Usually a special disc with all the necessary drivers and software is included with the scanner. When checking the contents, find it and do not throw it away if your computer or laptop has a floppy drive, as this will be the easiest method to install the appropriate files. However, not all companies now use CDs, and modern computers are less likely to have a built-in floppy drive. In this case, we recommend that you view our article on installing drivers for the printer. The principle is no different, so you only need to choose the appropriate method and follow the instructions given.
Connecting the Scanner to a Computer
A scanner helps to create copies of documents, photographs or any written records on a computer. It analyzes the object and reproduces its digital image, after which the created file is saved on the PC. Many users purchase such equipment for their own purposes, but they often have difficulties with connection. Our article is aimed at telling users in as much detail as possible about how to connect the scanner to a PC and configure it to work. Let’s get down to this topic.
Working with the scanner
Above, we examined in detail the two steps of connection and configuration, now you can proceed to work with the equipment. If this is your first time dealing with such a device, we advise you to refer to our material below to familiarize yourself with the principle of scanning to a PC.
The process itself is performed through the built-in tool of the operating system, software from the developer, or third-party software. Special software most often has various additional tools, which makes it more comfortable to work. Meet the best representatives at the following link.
This concludes our article. We hope it helped you figure out how to connect, configure and operate the scanner. As you can see, there is nothing difficult in this, it is only important to follow all the steps sequentially and find the right drivers. Owners of printers or MFPs with the materials below.
Setting up an inkjet (laser) for printing
To configure the machine, you need to go to “Devices and Printers”, right-click on the required equipment and select “Printer Properties”. To check the operation of the machine, click on “Test Print”.
By clicking the “Print Settings” button, you can select the paper size and determine the page orientation, as well as the print quality.
Connecting the Printer to a PC with Windows 7. 10
Manufacturers of inkjet and laser printers have not yet been able to work out the same aLGorithm for connecting a printing device to a computer. Since PC operating systems are constantly changing, the methods of connecting peripherals with each update may slightly differ.
In order to connect your printer to a Windows 7 computer, you will need to follow these steps.
How to enable the default printer
Sometimes it happens that several printing devices are connected to the computer. But if you use one of them most often, then constantly choosing it from the list is very inconvenient. The problem is solved in a rather simple way: you need to add the desired inkjet (laser) to the default devices:
- open the control panel:
- open the “Printers and Faxes” section;
- make a double click on the desired equipment and put a check mark next to the line “Use by default”.
For convenience, make a shortcut to the “Printers and Faxes” folder and place it on the desktop or pin to the Start screen in Windows 10.
If there is no driver disk
The equipment can be connected without the installation disc. If you do not have software for the printer, then you can download it from the Internet. To do this, it is enough to know the model of the device (you can see it from the back of the case). Knowing the model, type it in a search engine and download the driver for your PC. The folder with the downloaded data may contain the “Setup” installation file, which must be clicked to start. If this file does not exist, then do the following:
- connect the printer to the computer (via USB cable);
- go to “Control Panel”. “Device Manager”;
- in the list of equipment that the OS has identified, one unknown device will be visible, opposite which there will be an exclamation mark;
- right-click on the unknown hardware and select “Update driver”;
- a window will appear in front of you, in which it is proposed to select a driver from the Internet or find it on this computer. click the latter;
- a window will open where you can select the folder with the drivers downloaded from the Internet and click “next”;
- as a result, the software for the equipment will be installed.
Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity
There are models of MFPs, inkjets and lasers that support wireless connectivity. For example, you can take the Canon PIXMA G3400 inkjet, which feature is the ability to connect it via Wi-Fi. A small nuance should be taken into account: this unit connects to a Wi-Fi router using WPS technology. Therefore, it is necessary to buy a router with WPS support, and this function must be enabled on it. The following figure shows how to enable WPS on the D-Link DIR-615 router.
Next, to connect Canon PIXMA G3400 to a wireless network on Windows 10, you will need to follow these steps.
- Connect the device to the network and press the button labeled “Wi-Fi” located on it. Hold it down until the orange LED blinks once. After that, the blue Wi-Fi indicator will start blinking, indicating that the device has begun to search for a wireless network.
- At this stage, you will need to connect the router to your inkjet (laser). Press the WPS button on it and hold it until the blue indicator on the inkjet stops blinking and turns solid. This will mean that the printer is connected to a Wi-Fi network.
- Next, the OS needs to see the hardware. To do this, through the “Start” menu, select the “Options” tab, after which a new window will open.
- Select the “Devices” section and click on “Add Printer or Scanner”. The system will start searching for equipment and, ultimately, will display the link “The required printer is not in the list”, on which you will need to click.
- Next, you should set a marker next to the item, as indicated in the following figure.
- Clicking the Next button will start searching for equipment (Bluetooth or Wi-Fi printer). Select the required found equipment and click on “Next”.
- After that, the necessary drivers will be installed, and the equipment will be ready for work.
Connecting the Printer to a MacBook with Mac OS
In addition to the familiar Windows operating system, there is also a fairly common operating system Mac OS, which is used in computers manufactured by Apple. Since the interface of both operating systems is very different, to connect the printer to your MacBook, you will need to follow these steps.
- Use a USB cable to connect both devices (MacBook and printer).
- At the bottom of the screen in the Dock, select the System Preferences option and go to that menu.
- A new window will open in which you should click on “Printers and scanners”.
- The window that opens will show the equipment that was previously connected to the computer. But if you are installing this printing device for the first time, then you should click on the button “”.
- After clicking on “” in the window that opens, select the equipment you need.
Don’t forget about the drivers. The system may ask you to connect to the Internet to download the necessary software, or it will ask you to insert a disc with drivers.
Connect your printer to your MacBook via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth
To connect the machine to your MacBook via Wi-Fi, after logging into “Printers & Scanners”, click on “” to add equipment. Select the equipment you need from the list. It is important that its type is “Multifunctional Bonjour”.
After selecting the device, if it supports Airprint technology, in the “Use” line, select “AirPrint” and click “Add”.
After that, the search will begin and pairing will occur between the computer and the device of your choice.
It is also recommended to update the software from the App store.
To connect the device via Bluetooth, click on its icon at the top of the screen and turn on the receiver “Turn Bluetooth On”.
Make sure the printing machine is turned on in Bluetooth mode. In the window that opens, after searching for Bluetooth devices, the found ones will be displayed. Select the one you want and make pairing by clicking “Create pair”. When prompted to connect, click “Accept”.
If you have an installation disc
After connecting all cables, you need to install a program (driver) that will control the operation of the machine. Usually, if you install an inkjet or laser printer under Windows 7. 8, then the drivers will be installed automatically, if they are in the system. If the OS does not find the driver, then you will need to install it from the disk, which should come with the printer.
Insert the disc into your PC’s optical drive and the software will automatically install. Everything is simple here. follow the instructions of the installer until the process is complete. A situation may arise when the installation wizard will not start when the disc is inserted into the drive. In this case, you need to go to “My Computer”, select from the list a disc located in the optical drive, and after opening its contents, you should find a file called “Setup” and click on it. After that, the driver installation will start.