Using the resources of manufacturers
This method involves self-installation of drivers from the websites of manufacturers of the connected equipment. Accessing the official websites of well-known brands such as Canon or HP via a computer is absolutely safe from the point of view of the possibility of receiving malicious software.
To find the driver you need, you just need to know the model of your printer. The exact specifications can be found either in the accompanying documentation or on the case. After the model name is found, you can start searching through the browser. As a rule, when specifying the exact name in the search bar of any browser, the manufacturer’s website will be in the first position in the list of drop-down options for various sites offering programs. Usually, but not always. Therefore, in order to exclude potential threats to your computer, pay close attention to the site where you got when you click on the link. The manufacturer’s website is difficult to confuse with any other: firstly, its name, as a rule, speaks for itself, and secondly, such a website is usually clearly structured and devoid of all sorts of unnecessary information that is not directly related to the maintenance of branded equipment.
Drivers need to be downloaded only from official sites, because it is safe and you are guaranteed to receive the latest software version.
For example, you need drivers for an HP printer.
- We go to the site http://www8.HP.com.
- Through the “Support” menu we find the item “Drivers and Programs”.
- Enter the product name or serial number in the search bar.
- We find a list of software offered in our case.
- We select the necessary (you may need information about the version of your OS, be prepared for this).
- We are waiting for the completion of the download of the package and, by running the file, install the drivers, following the prompts of the wizard.
How to connect a printer without a Wi-Fi module for wireless control
What if your printer model does not have a Wi-Fi module, but you want to use the printer from several gadgets without unnecessary wiring? Any printer can be connected to the router using a USB cable. This will help save the number of wires for building a network if several users plan to use this printer.
In the process, you will need the IP of the router. To find it out, call the Run command by simultaneously pressing the WINR hotkeys. In the line of the dialog box that appears, enter “cmd” and the “OK” or “Enter” key on the keyboard to start. A window will open in front of you, where you need to write in the command line: ipconfig. Below the system parameters will open, where opposite the words “Main gateway” there will be the IP we need.
- Turn on the router. Wait for it to fully load.
- Connect the printer to it using a USB cable, turn it on.
- Turn on the laptop and establish a connection with the router in the way you are used to. using Wi-Fi or via cable.
- We go to the router interface using a web browser. To do this, in the line for the URL, write the IP of the router, for example, “192.168.0.1”. To enter you need to enter your username and password.
- In the router interface, we are looking for the “Network Map” section. All network elements are displayed there: Printer-Router-Laptop. If the router does not see the printer, then you will have to update the software of the router, which is very difficult.
Finishing the installation of the settings in the laptop operating system.
- Open the “Control Panel”, and in it “Devices and Printers”. In the dialog box, click on the “Add printer” button, a device search window will open in front of you. We do not wait for the end of the search, but click on the line “The required printer is missing”. Then on “Add a printer by its TCP / IP address”.
- In the new window, select the type “TCP / IP Device”, and in the next two lines we enter our router IP. Before starting the process, be sure to uncheck the checkbox about the automatic installation of drivers and click “Next”.
- Another window will open asking for additional information. In it, in the “Device Type” section, put a checkmark opposite the word “Special” and open these parameters. In the column “Protocol” we indicate “LPR”, and below in its parameters we write any value in the line “Name of the queue”. We close this window with the “Ok” button, and in the previous one click on “Next”.
- The next step is to install the drivers. The system already has a list of available drivers, depending on manufacturers and models. If your printer is not in the list, then you can click the “Windows Control Center” button and your configurations may appear. You can do the installation manually. To do this, insert the driver disc into the drive. If your laptop does not have a floppy drive, then download the necessary drivers from the official website of the manufacturer of office equipment in advance and unpack them. In the Add Printer dialog box, click the Have Disk button and specify the path where the drivers are stored. The system will do the rest for you. You just have to agree with the actions of the OS by clicking on the “Next” button. In the “Using Shared Printers” window, allow the printer to be used by other users, and set its name. For your desktop, this completes the installation and the printer is ready to go.
Office equipment manufacturers are constantly improving the process of connecting their printers to laptops so that even inexperienced users can do the installation. If your printer is older, the installation will, of course, be more difficult. But, if you strictly follow the path described by us, then you will definitely succeed.!
Many owners of portable equipment are often interested in how to connect a printer to a laptop via WI-FI or USB cable. Some inexperienced users don’t even really know if this can be done at all. If you are using one of the current versions of Windows 7, 8 or 10, then you can connect using the instructions in this article.
To begin with, we will connect the printer with a laptop in one bundle physically, wirelessly or over a network. Let’s take a closer look at such technology as WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup), consider manual configuration, driver installation with and without an installation disk. We will give recommendations on how to set up printing from a laptop to any model of a printer or MFP from HP, Canon, Epson, Samsung and others.
Using the Connection Setup Wizard
The connection wizard is built into the printer’s operating system and allows you to quickly and easily connect via WI-FI. A prerequisite will be support for the WPA or WEP protocols. For the configuration itself, you will need information about the SSID of the network and the password to access it.
Through the printer’s control panel, go to the “Settings” menu item and select “Network”. After that, the wizard, without your participation, will begin to search for all available wi-fi networks in the immediate vicinity, and a complete list of them will be displayed on the screen. If the required network is not in the proposed list, try to find it by manually entering the name. If the network is found, it remains only for security reasons to change the password for access to it. That’s it, you can start using the device in working mode.
You need to complete the connection to the printer using a laptop.
Windows users should go to Control Panel and click on View Devices and Printers under Hardware and Sound. Next, you need to click on the “Add printer” button to start its installation. All drivers will be installed automatically, no installation discs are needed, and in a couple of minutes you can start working with the printer.
Mac OS owners need to go to “System Preferences”, select “Print and Fax”, and then click on the “” icon, which will mean adding a new printer. In the list of available models that appears, select your own and start the automatic installation of drivers. The system will give you the necessary hints if necessary.
Different manufacturers, and even different models of the same brand, do not connect to the network in the same way. Although these connection steps are rather general, they will help you understand the general course of action if you do not have a user manual at hand.
How to connect a printer to a laptop
A laptop, like any other personal computer, can be connected to the printer with a regular USB cable. This type of connection is supported by all models of printing equipment without exception. And the entrance itself is definitely present on the portable “device”. The main thing is to match the versions of the interfaces used. If USB 1.0 is no longer to be found, then 2.0 and 3.0 are at the peak of popularity.
When the connection is established, you need to wait a little until you hear a beep. After a while, the software will be automatically installed by the Windows operating system itself and you can proceed to the section on printing settings. If this does not happen, then the drivers will have to be installed manually. There is nothing difficult and easy to do even without an installation disc.
After connecting the laptop to the printer and installing the drivers, you should make some settings for the device itself. You can choose it as the main default and open network access to it. To do this, go to the control panel, and then to the “Devices and Printers” section. Find your model there and proceed as shown in the pictures below.
You need to enter the properties only to “share” the printing device to other network clients.
To print from any program that supports this function, just press the key combination “CTRLP”. And also you can pre-make some personal settings in the interface, if it allows you to do this. For example, in a program from an office suite. “Word”.
- Select the correct printer for the task.
- Specify which pages to print and which not.
- Select the desired part of the document for output to paper.
- Mark even or odd pages in a document.
- Working with copies.
- Selecting the Number of Document Pages to Output Per Sheet of Paper.
- Setting additional properties: double-sided printing, quality, layout.
The process of installing and configuring the printer itself can be divided into several stages:
- connection of the device;
- installing and configuring drivers;
- print setup.
Initially, the procedure for connecting the printer to the laptop is best done with the power off of both devices. It is necessary to choose the right place where the printing device will be located. It is better if this is a space that does not require constant release at the end of the paper output procedure. A printer, as a rule, is a rather massive device, and it is inconvenient to carry it from place to place and is fraught with consequences associated with accidental damage to the device.
Most often, printers are connected via USB ports, so take care in advance of the availability of free ports on your laptop so that, again, there is no need to constantly pull out the wires of other application equipment in cases where you need to print something.
The problem of the lack of free connectors these days is easily solved by purchasing a USB hub.
If the wires are connected correctly and the equipment is turned on, a message will appear on the screen about the appearance of a new device on the network, accompanied by a characteristic sound signal. If this does not happen, then, first of all, once again carefully inspect all the wires for their integrity and tight fit of the plugs to the connectors. In parallel, you can do the following: through the “Start” menu open the “Devices and Printers” window. In the window that opens, the icon of your printer should be visible.
It all depends directly on the device. Many modern models do not allow using third-party applications, but can connect and print directly from a mobile device without using a computer. It is enough to connect the devices to one network using a router, start a search for available networks on a smartphone or tablet and select the required equipment.
And although more and more manufacturers are trying to move towards versatility, some devices still refuse to work with certain smartphone models directly. Most often this applies to Apple technology and certification features in accordance with their proprietary standards.
Because of this, many manufacturers provide for the connection through separate applications, for example, HP Smart, Canon Print, etc. In addition to these, there are general applications that work with various devices.
For how to print with Canon Print App, see the following
As an example, we will consider the PrinterShare program, available for devices based on the iOS and Android operating systems.
So, how to print photos or documents from a phone or tablet to a printer via Wi-Fi:
- The utility itself will search for available devices connected to the same wireless network as the smartphone (tablet).
- Select a file for printing from the available directories.
If you need a file stored in the internal memory of the gadget, for example, a document, book or table, then look for it in the “Documents” section.
- Having marked the file, you can set the settings for it or immediately send it to print by selecting the appropriate item.
All other applications work on a similar principle and it will not be difficult to understand them.
For instructions on using the PrinterShare app, see here:
What can be printed from a gadget?
Neither the operating system nor the hardware of mobile phones impose any restrictions. This means that a tablet or phone can send absolutely any documents or photos for printing. Of course, provided that there is a suitable application for them, and the option is configured and functions properly.
In this case, phones for printing to a printer can be connected via Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or via a USB cable. None of the connection methods also imposes any restrictions on the types and amounts of data transfer. The difference can only be in speed.
The most convenient option with which you can print files, while being anywhere in the world. We print by linking the gadget to a Google account. The same account should be used on the computer and the gadget.
Print text from Android device
There are several ways to print photos, SMS, documents, web pages and more. Let’s take a closer look at them.
Print text from Android device
There are several ways to print photos, SMS, documents, web pages and more. Let’s take a closer look at them.
Printing via USB, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi
To print documents or photos using this method, you will need a special application. Let’s consider as an example the most popular. PrinterShare.
The program is distributed on a paid and free basis. In the free version, the functions are significantly limited and should be considered as a test. Consider the work of the “Premium” version, with which you can print contacts, photos, call logs, SMS messages, files from Google Docs, Gmail, SD cards in DOC, PDF, DOCX, XSLX, TXT formats, etc.
Install PrinterShare from Google Play using the link https://play.google.com/store/apps/details? p, blockquote 25,0,0,0,0. Zoom in
USB, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are a connection that is carried out using the appropriate type of communication. Choosing a Wi-Fi printer, it will immediately start an automatic search in the network for a wireless printer that is connected to the router. After completing the search, follow the prompts of the system and establish a connection. After that, select the print object.
Regardless of the format of the selected file, click “Print” (if no correction of the selected file is required) or “Settings” (adjust the print parameters). Then click “Select Printer”.
Connecting an Android gadget to a printer via USB or Bluetooth is similar. The Russian-language interface of the application is clear and simple, so when working with it, no problems should arise.
The situation is identical with the Bluetooth interface. If there is such a function, then we use it.
To connect a smartphone or tablet to a printer via USB, you need to use a special OTG cable (USB to microUSB adapter). The gadget used must have a Host port, which will allow it to be connected not only to a computer, but also to other devices. All the cords need to be connected, after which we connect the resulting cable to the gadget, configure it using the application and use.
Not all devices can be connected this way. Some models may simply not have drivers.
Features of Wi-Fi connection
This is one of the most convenient and common ways to connect. Most of the printing devices (excluding the most budgetary segment of the market and outdated models) have a built-in Wi-Fi adapter, which allows you to synchronize the printer with a mobile device.
How to set up printing from your phone over Wi-Fi:
Now you need to determine how the smartphone (tablet) will be connected. This can be done in the following ways:
- through a virtual printer;
- using a remote connection.