Connecting a 3G modem to a router is a procedure that can be divided into two stages:
- Connecting a modem and entering parameters.
- Internet connection setup (WAN).
Before proceeding directly to the question of how to connect a 3G modem to a router, you should choose the right equipment. It should be understood here that there are certain selection criteria. There are three main conditions:
- The router must be equipped with a.port. It is through this interface that the 3-modem is connected.
- In the description for the router, specify whether the device supports operation with the. Modem. That is, even the presence of a port does NOT mean that the router will be able to distribute mobile Internet. In some cases, it can only be used to connect a printer, flash drives or hard drives (to create a mini-server). Therefore, when buying, carefully study the specifications of the router.
- And most importantly, not all 34 modem models are supported by routers. Whether it is possible to connect a 3-modem to a router, you should find out in the description of the device. You can view support information on the website of the wireless equipment manufacturer. Or, if the device has already been purchased, choose a modem that is supported by the router.
If you already have the equipment you need, but it turns out that the devices “don’t want” to work together, there is a way out of this situation. There are third-party firmwares available on the Internet. One of these firmwares is DD-WRT. This firmware allows you to significantly expand the capabilities of the router, including increasing the list of modems it supports. There are other firmwares.
So, we made our choice. Now you can go directly to the main thing. how to connect a modem through a router.
Internet connection setup
First, we need the data of the mobile operator. That is, to set up the mobile Internet, you need to enter three values - APN, login and password.
Now the last step remains, how to connect a USB modem to the router:
- In the router settings, go to the “Network” tab (or).
- Go to the “” section. (On some models and firmware versions, you need to add a new one. Connection, on the second, just configure the one that already exists: it all depends on the device model, further we will analyze it using an example.).
In the line “Connection type”, select “” (you may have “3” or “Mobile Internet”).
Leave all other parameters unchanged. Press the button “Save”. It is advisable to reboot the router after that.
Now you know how to connect your router to your modem. It is worth noting that on some routers, all settings are performed automatically.
How to connect a 4G modem to a router automatically? Follow these steps:
- In the line “Connection type” (in the parameters of the router), select “3”.
- In the line “Provider” select the required country and provider, for example, Russia MTS.
- After that, all network parameters will be filled in automatically. You just have to click “Save parameters” and restart the router.
By the way, 3G and 4G modems are configured exactly the same. Therefore, you should not have any problems.
This raises the question of how to connect a Wi-Fi modem with a Wi-Fi router to increase the coverage radius? In this case, you just need to configure the “Bridge” mode between These devices.
Connecting and entering parameters
When it comes to how to connect a USB modem to a Wi-Fi router, everything is quite SIMple: you just need to take the modem and insert it into the USB port of the router. That’s all. No additional settings are required. Next, you will have to configure the Internet connection, but more on that later.
Now let’s see how to enter the router parameters:
- Connect the router to your computer using a cable (or Wi-Fi).
- We launch our favorite browser and write the IP addresses of the router in the address bar (where the link to a particular site is written). This raises the question of how to find out this IP address. It’s pretty SIMple. On the router itself there is a sticker on which displays all the necessary information.
Also, the addresses are indicated in the instructions or on the box from the router. As a last resort, if these options are not available, start the command period, write the ipconfig command and press “Enter”. Network information appears. Look for the term “Default gateway”. here the desired address will be displayed. Typically, this is 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 (but there may be other options).
We registered the required IP-address in the browser and press “Enter”. After that, you must enter your username and password. This data is also indicated on the factory sticker (on the router itself). As a rule, the login is admin, the password is admin (but there may be other values).
This completes the entry into the parameters. Next, it remains to configure the Wi-Fi router connection via a modem to the Internet.
How to connect a 3G \\ 4G modem to a Wi-Fi router
Modern technology literally envelops us in everyday life. Every day it is more and more difficult to find a house with a Wi-Fi network. However, not everyone has the opportunity to have cable Internet. In such cases, the most convenient and profitable option is to connect to the mobile Internet. Now we will consider how to connect a modem to a router in order to distribute the Internet via Wi-Fi.
How to connect a router to a modem:
I work as a private computer foreman. I have been professionally engaged in computer repair for over 12 years, as an amateur since the 90s. For two years she worked as the head of a service center specializing in connecting subscribers to the Internet and computer help.
Wi-Fi Protected Setup
For users with a router and printer that support Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS), you have a solution that is almost as easy as connecting automatically. First, make sure you have WPS configured by referring to your product manual. Or you can visually inspect your hardware for a WPS button, because many newer devices that support this method, such as routers and printers, are clearly labeled.
If available, just press the WPS button on the printer and then the WPS button on the router. Otherwise, press the WPS button on your router, then select the correct network through your printer.
Connect your printer to your computer
- On the Devices screen, you should find the Add Printer or Scanner option.
- After clicking on it, the name of your printer. Usually with the manufacturer’s name and model number. Should appear as available.
- Select “Add a device” and your computer will do the rest to complete the wireless setup.
How to connect a printer to your Android device
Like their smart competitors, Android technology continues to evolve over time and gives people on the road even more freedom from their computers and desktops.
Thanks to Google engineers, Google Cloud Print has been created to provide seamless cloud printing. The app lets you print from your Android phone or tablet and can even be downloaded to your laptop.
How to connect a printer to a router via USB and LAN. setting up a network printer and print server
It is common practice in the office and at home to share various peripheral devices on the network, such as scanners or printers. It is convenient. you can immediately print any document and you do not need to carry files on a USB flash drive from computer to computer or buy a separate printer for each workplace. We will tell you how to properly configure equipment for sharing in this article.
Then, CHECK OUT this handy checklist to make sure you have the correct Wi-Fi printer setup and everything you need to print wirelessly:
1. I have the correct product information?
2. Do I have the correct network information?
3. Is my internet connection configured correctly??
4. I have a stable internet connection?
5. For mobile devices, is my device stable with clean Wi-Fi?
6. Are all my devices compatible and configured correctly??
If you are still having problems connecting to Wi-Fi after checking information, devices, and connection, you may need help directly from the appropriate customer support source, in which case contact your printer’s Support.
If this is an HP printer, SIMply speak to one of our technical support representatives by contacting HP Customer Support. If you still cannot connect, you may need to check with your ISP. About the Author: Dwight Pavlovich is a co-author of HP® Tech Takes. Dwight. West Virginia music and technology writer.
Before setting up a network printer via a router, let’s figure out the possible connection options. So, you can connect a printer to a router in the following ways:
- Via USB port. This connection is possible if your router is equipped with a USB connector and supports network printing.
- Through the LAN port. If your printer has a built-in print server with a network port, you can connect it to the router using a patch cord.
- Wi-Fi. Some modern printers are equipped with a Wi-Fi module and can communicate with the router over the air. They can also be connected directly from a laptop equipped with a Wi-Fi module.
- Using a hardware print server. This is a separate device to which the printer connects. The print server has a LAN port for connecting to a router.
- With the SSID selected, you are ready to enter your network password
- Onc After input, the printer is prepared for all printing operations
LAN port connection
In the device menu, you need to set a static IP address for it. It is advisable to do this even if the DHCP service is configured on your router. The fact is that if the printer’s IP address is constantly changing, it will complicate its search and it will periodically disappear from the list of available devices. There is of course an option to reserve IP addresses in the DHCP server settings by MAC address.
The printer will then restart. Then it can be found in the list of network devices.
Install the printer drivers and print a test page.
Other SIMple alternatives
If you are unable to connect to Wi-Fi during the initial printer setup with HP Auto Wireless Connect, there are a few other SIMple alternatives you can access.
Installing the Printer Driver
It was discussed how to connect a printer through a router. We also showed you how to configure your router. The last step is to install the driver on your computer.
Installing the Host-Based Driver
From a computer or a second device connected to the local network, go to the web interface of the router. By default, the following parameters are used: 192.168.1.1 as the interface address, login admin, password 1234.
Having opened the start page, in the “Printer” block, click “Connected”. The following tab will appear:
You need to click “Browse”, and specify the path to the required dl file.
After clicking the “Install” button, it will not be possible to turn off the power (both the router and the computer) for several minutes, or disconnect the connection. Setting up the printer via a router. performed in the same tab.
Generating dl files
You can find the arm2hpdl.Exe utility on the Internet. It converts the img file (included in the driver, recorded on a CD-ROM) into a dl file.
The tool is intended for HP printers, but not others. Here you need to immediately exclude a subset of printer models that communicate with a computer via GDI.
Connecting a USB printer to ZyXEL Keenetic routers with “V1” firmware
We will look at how to connect a printer to a router and perform device setup, including installing a driver on a computer. The information will be of interest to owners of ZyXEL routers if the firmware is version “V1”. It is in the “first” version of the firmware that there are interesting advantages. Including, it is possible to add modules to support a new printer (in firmware “V2”, this option is not available).
The software module for the router, that is, the Host-Based driver, can be installed via the web interface. The problem is that not all printers are supported. And you can immediately forget about the devices operating on the GDI protocol (HP CP on December 15, for example). At the same time, there are modules for LaserJet 1xxx and some other families of USB printers.
The files of THESE modules have the extension dl. Download the file, place it on the “Desktop” (on the computer from which we will configure the router).
We configure the router
While on the tab that is indicated in the previous chapter, set the following values. First, the “Enable print server” checkbox must be checked.
But “Bidirectional exchange mode”. it is better not to turn it on unnecessarily. This mode is needed for MFPs. over, it is not necessary here to “open access” to the printer via the Internet.
At the last step, click “Apply”. Successful setup!
Configuring the router to work with the printer. Computer settings
Connecting a Printer via USB
To connect the printer to the router, and not need to turn off or restart the latter. It is enough to make the cable connection as shown in the figure:
If necessary, you can use a USB hub. But in any case, we must remember the following.
It is important to know: the connection with a USB cable is performed when the printer is turned on. Power cord. plug in last.
In “Windows 7”, for example, you need to do the following:
- Add a new local printer:
- As a port, you must select “standard TCP / IP port”:
- In the next window, Fill in the fields “IP addresses”. the address of the router (192.168.), “Port name”. any. Uncheck the “Poll printer” checkbox.
- After clicking “Next” in the previous window. check that the printer is turned on. Select the device type “Normal”. Generic Network Card:
- The next window will be the standard tab for installing the driver. Clicked the “Have Disk” button, follow the instructions.
Finally, there is no need to enable general access to the printer (as recommended by ZyXEL). At this point, the driver installation can be considered complete. Print a test page.
In the latest models of ASUS routers, the printer installation procedure has been made as SIMple as possible (although this is true only for Windows).
Customizable and ready to print
Setting up a printer via a Wi-Fi router is not at all difficult: the main thing is to clearly follow each point.
- We open “Start” and there we find the “Control Panel” we need.
- Scroll down the list and find the item “Printers and Devices”.
- Inside we are interested in the “Add Printer” parameter.
- On the next page, the search will begin, but we are interested in the button at the bottom of the window. “The printer is not in the list”.
- The next page will present us with many options, among which we need to choose add over TCP / IP.
- In the top line from the list, select the option SIMilar to the previous one, and below twice enter the same address that you should have remembered. He also served as a pass to the router settings.
- After the search, another page with parameters will open to you. put a tick in front of “Special” and already next to it click on the “Parameters” button.
- Next, we need to click on the checkbox opposite “LPR” and just below in the “Queue name” field enter any name.
- You will be returned to the previous page, where you need to click “Next”. We can assume that our connection of the MFP through a router is almost complete.
- The next window will offer a choice of printers and their models for installing the driver. You can also use update center or install drivers from disk.
- In the next step, just choose to replace the driver.
- Now you need to come up with a name for the printer or leave it with the old one.
- We refuse to share, put the appropriate checkbox.
Next, you will receive a message that everything went well and the device is ready to print. This is the whole instruction on how to set up a printer via a Wi-Fi router.
Thanks to the sequence we have considered, you can easily do all the same on the second computers on the network and send documents to print, sitting at any of them. We hope that this instruction has finally clarified the question of how to connect a printer through a router, and now It will not be difficult.
But now we will already look at how to connect the printer to the network through a router, and not using any wires. This method is suitable for owners of modern printers with an adapter and implies two different options.
We’ll start with the way that WPS is used. This function must be supported by the printing device, and a separate button for it is required at the dispensing point. If everything fits, then proceed.
- We study the instructions for the printer and use it to find the WPS activation menu. For each individual case, there may be differences in the location of this menu item.
- Clamp the corresponding button on the router and wait for exactly two minutes.
The connection is established and now you can go back to the settings.
The second solution in this case involves manual manipulation of the connection, SIMilar to the actions when entering the network for the first time from a computer.
- On the printer, click the “Settings” button and look inside the item associated with the network.
- Choosing the network name that you need in your particular case.
- Enter the password combination.
Connecting the Printer via Wi-Fi: Two Ways
Wireless Wi-Fi is a really great technology, thanks to which you can connect various devices to your PC remotely without any problems. This option can be very useful when there are several computers at work or home network and a printer is often used. Today we will figure out how to connect a printer via a Wi-Fi router and what advantages this method gives us.
It should be noted right away that there are two ways. through a special cable and without wires. The second option is possible only if the printer has the required specifications, that is, an adapter.
In the first case, we will look at how to connect a printer to a router via USB (if your router model has such a port). As everyone knows, usually this cable is used to connect to a computer, but this time we will go with you in a non-standard way.
- We turn off the router and printer. they DO NOT recognize each other on the go, so only this solution will help.
- We connect them with a cable. All new models of routers must have a corresponding socket.
- We turn on the distribution point and wait for it to load, after which we turn on your printing device.
- Now we check our printer connection via a Wi-Fi router. We sit down at the computer and open any of the many possible browsers. as a last resort, if you did not install anything yourself, you can use the same Internet Explorer.
- We are looking for a term address and click on it with the left button to start typing.
- Enter the special key-address 192.168.0.1 and click on “ENTER”. It is important to remember. if you were not allowed further and nothing happens, then you need to try to change 0 to 1 in combination. If in this case everything remains the same, then try to find information about changing the address on the router box or on the device itself. usually this is a separate information sticker.
It is worth remembering which option came up, since you will need this combination again a little later.
- The next screen will show us a request to enter login information. Standard solutions are also used here. enter the “admin” values in both windows. Does the system indicate incorrect data? Try to enter again or look for data in the change of values by the manufacturer for the same stickers.
- Using the Asus device as an example, you can see that if you go to the “Network Map”, then the connected printer should be displayed there.
Everything went fine, the connection of the network printer through the router is complete and now you need to do the settings. In them, we will tell you immediately after we finish with the second method.
How to connect a printer to a laptop via WI-FI:
I have extensive experience in setting up and connecting access control systems (ACS) and time attendance systems. And also I am engaged in setting up servers, computers, workplaces. I work as an engineer at Technootkrytie.
On the “Control Panel”, select the printer we are interested in (in “devices”):
In the “Printer Properties”, we change exactly one parameter. the port protocol. The Ports tab, a checkmark for the required printer (you can navigate by the port’s IP address), the Configure port button:
Then, choose as in the picture (LPR protocol). And “Queue name” can be any:
Congratulations! After clicking “OK”, you can print a test page.
We managed to connect the printer through a router, but from the computer, the printer is seen as one of the “local” printers (whether, not as “network”). Therefore, SIMilar settings will have to be performed on each computer (laptop) from which you want to print.
Connecting the printer via a router. Printer driver
After clicking “Next”, do not select a printer from the list.
You need to click “Have Disk”, and then select the path to the folder with the driver. Typically, the driver for the printer is written on the supplied CD.
Before installing, create a name for the printer
Under this name, you will see this printer on your computer. Click Next:
At the end of the installation, select “Shared Sun” (which is important):
And, you can make this printer the default:
Click Finish. In fact, setting up a printer via a router requires one more step.
Setting up a printer on a computer
In Windows 7, the setting looks like this: go to “Start”. Search, type install:
We need “Printer Installation”. Clicked on the link, we will see the window:
In this window, add the “Local” printer (“Next”). Then, we select the port (as in the picture):
After clicking “Next”, you are asked to enter an IP address:
Here you need the IP address that you used to enter the web interface (i.e., router addresses). The checkbox “Polling.” must be unchecked. Click “Next”, and expect:
As a result, a window should appear like this:
Do NOT worry: the printer is really “seen” through the router. Choose the type. “Normal”, and “Generic Network Card”, click “Next”.
Note: you need to Pay attention to the correctness of the specified IP address (it matches the address of the router, that is, the address of the web interface).
Printer router: network printing
Many today, at home and in the office, have their own local area network for several computers. Most often, such a network can be built using a router. If the router is equipped with a USB port, in any case you get the ability to print any documents if you connect a printer to the router. Network technologies will allow you to do this. Connecting a printer via a router is always possible if the router has a USB port. The only limitation may be that the “network” printing function. not everyone will be supported by the software (that is, firmware) of the router itself.
Most of the modern models of routers have support for “printing”. We will look at how to set up a printer through a router using the example of a typical ASUS WL-500gP wi-fi router.
Setting up a router
Immediately I would like to Pay attention to the following. Even if your router, with the version of firmware (firmware) that is currently installed, supports the option of connecting a printer, first check the list of printer models supported by this firmware. The list should be provided on the website of the router manufacturer (or. the firmware manufacturer).
So, how to connect a printer to a router, probably, will NOT cause questions.
Note: The USB cable is connected to the router when the adapter (power supply) is off.
If necessary, you can use a USB hub. After turning on the power of the router, go to the web interface from the local network computer (the IP address is usually indicated on the box):
After entering a login with a password, on the main tab (“Network Map”). it is reported that the printer was detected and successfully recognized by the router. If the router does not see the printer, or writes the wrong model name, then, perhaps, this USB printer is not supported by the firmware of your router. But if everything is correct, we proceed to the next stage (from the web interface, now you can exit).
Also, in principle, you can connect the MFP to the router (then, in the local devices of the computer, a scanner will appear). The technology discussed above is called “Share Port”. If the router has such a setting. with a high probability, everything will work.
It’s another matter if the network connection of the printer to the router (“network” printer) is configured: