Configuring TP-Link. USB
And this is exactly my case. I show it using the example of a TP-Link TL-WR1043 router and an HP P1102 printer.
- We connect the printer to the router. I have the corresponding indicator of the connected USB device. we check that the light is on. If it does not light up, do not forget that the printer still needs to be turned on (we look that the lights are on on it too).
- Download and install the utility from the TP-Link website (use the search) “TP-Link USB Printer Controller”.
- If everything was connected correctly, the utility will find your printer by itself:
- Additionally, I recommend making our printer “auto-connectable”. Select it in the list and click on this item:
In my case, I needed to download a separate driver for the printer on my laptop. To speed up the search, you can temporarily connect the printer via USB to your laptop. then the drivers will be installed automatically, and later use it via Wi-Fi. Perhaps your driver will be installed immediately without such manipulations.
Additionally, in the router settings, you should make sure that the print server is working:
How to connect a printer to a Wi-Fi router: print settings
Hey! I myself have recently been able to optimize my workspace, so in this article I want to share how to set up a printer via a Wi-Fi router. With a little background and personal experience for all occasions for almost any printer model. Begin!
Do you have any add-ons? Is your printer connecting differently? Share your story with other readers in the comments!
ASUS setup. USB
ASUS routers have the “Printer Setup Utility” utility available. download the current version from the official website (use the search), connect the printer to the router and run the program.
Support is indicated for printers Canon, Epson, HP, Brother (but not all).
Once again, we are convinced of the correct connection (in fact, it is not necessary through the LAN wire, you can immediately use Wi-Fi) and press the “Next” button. The process of searching for connected printers begins.
After a while, the utility will find your printer and offer to install it by standard means. After this installation, you can already start printing. In case of some problem, the following window will fall out:
- Once again we check the correctness of the connection.
- Checking router support for your printer.
- We recall if you have previously made strange settings in the router, such as isolating networks (or creating virtual networks).
For Android and iOS
It is better not to use standard tools on mobile devices. If the manufacturer has a proprietary application for your printer model, download it and use it without a second thought.
- For Android. Google Cloud Print
- For iOS. AirPrint.
But there are limitations in hardware support. My choice is not to use mobile devices for printing.
A bit of theory
There are several ways to organize wireless printing on a printer:
- Wi-Fi Direct. If the printer has built-in Wi-Fi. Our article is not about that, because we have already written about this, and even here a lot depends on the specific model of the device.
- Connecting the printer via USB to a computer and organizing network access via a router.
- Connecting the printer to the router via USB. and all devices, when accessing their router, will be able to print. This is the main theme. We will dwell on it in more detail.
We wrote about all methods of connecting a printer in THIS ARTICLE.
In my practice, for many years, the printer was connected to a computer, and printing was done through a regular network printer. It’s convenient to type. But I was faced with the fact that the computer ceased to be constantly turned off. Total: if you want to print, turn on the computer. It began to strain a little.
As a solution, the idea of organizing work through a router appeared. Fortunately, it had a USB port and print server capabilities. As a result, I connected, went through tons of manuals (not everything is so simple), installed utilities everywhere. and everything works 24/7 without unnecessary gestures, because the router in the house is constantly on.
Not all routers with a USB port support printers. Be sure to check the specifications of your printer before you start. after all, the time wasted cannot be returned.
The basic connection to the router is via the USB port. In the router configurator, you need to activate the USB print server. Connection to a router for printing is carried out through special utilities. The most common routers for this are ASUS and TP-Link (not all models are suitable).
Printer and router via Wi-Fi
If you have a printer immediately with Wi-Fi support, most of them are now simply connected to the router using WPS without a pin code. Next, you will find out the issued IP address and enter it into your operating system as a network printer at this address.
Now in more detail. The first step is to connect the printer to the router via Wi-Fi:
- If there are WPS buttons. using WPS.
- If there is no WPS, we look for our access point on the printer and enter the password as standard.
I recommend that you check the method of connecting YOUR printer in your instruction manual. You can’t guess for all printers. Also, keep in mind that current printers mostly only work with 2.4GHz networks. The modern 5 GHz network may simply not be visible to them.
- Printers & Scanners. Add Printer or Scanner:
- Because there is no direct connection, the printer will not be found here. Click “The required printer is not listed”:
- Add a printer by its TCP / IP address or hostname:
- Let’s start setting up. Device type. “TCP / IP Device”. IP-address. IP of the ROUTER, does not write anything to the port (it will fill in itself). Uncheck the box with driver auto-installation:
- The device was still not found. Click on “Special”:
- Next, the driver installation will begin. If you left the checkbox with automatic installation and believe in it, everything should be installed by itself. Otherwise, download the driver and install it by hand:
As a last resort, if your printer cannot be connected to a router in any way, but you want wireless printing, you can take a mini-computer. The main thing here is to connect a printer to it via USB, and bring this box itself into your network. Then it’s just a matter of technology, adding a network printer from the same network environment is a trivial matter. And there will be new functions like scanning.
These are all the basic methods of printing at home via a router. If you still have any questions, the comments below are open for discussion.
For experienced users, this work takes 3-5 minutes. Beginners should carefully study the manual supplied with office equipment in order to avoid embarrassing situations in the question of how to connect the printer to a laptop via a USB cable and perform pairing at the software environment level. The whole process can be divided into three main stages:
The first step is to plug the cord into the network and only then follow the next steps.
Place the printer and computer nearby so that both devices can be connected without problems. Place the PC in such a way that access to the rear ports is open. Take the supplied USB cable and connect one end to the printer, and plug the other into a socket on the computer. There are times when pairing via a wire is impossible due to busy ports. In this case, you need to purchase a USB hub.
When both devices are ready for use, you need to turn on the power button on the printer. The PC must independently determine the new connection and find the office equipment. And also he will offer to install the software. If this does not happen, you must manually configure the system settings to pair the two devices.
If it was possible to connect office equipment to a computer or laptop not with a new, but with an old wire, it is highly likely that it is damaged. Therefore, it is better to start work with a USB cable when it is known in advance that the cable is suitable for use. Further steps:
- open the control panel;
- find the line “Devices and Printers“;
- if the printer is in the list of devices, you need to install the driver;
- when the machine is not found, select “Add Printer” and follow the instructions of the “Wizard”.
In some situations, the computer still does not see office equipment. In this case, you need to re-check the connection, the cord is working, restart the PC, reconnect the printing device.
In general, it is possible to connect a printer to a computer or laptop not only using a special cord. It can be done:
- via USB cable;
- via Wi-Fi connection;
- wirelessly using bluetooth.
If the wire is unusable or lost, there is always the opportunity to choose alternative methods.
Installing and configuring drivers
For office equipment to work, you will have to install software into the operating system. If the optical media with the driver is present in the box with the printer, this simplifies the setup process. The disc must be inserted into the drive and wait for autorun. If nothing happens, you need to run the executable file manually.
To do this, you need to open “My Computer” and double-click on the optical drive icon. A menu will open where you need to find a file with the designation Setup exe, Autorun exe or Install exe. Open it with the right mouse button. select the “Install” line and follow the further instructions of the “Wizard”. Installation time 1-2 minutes.
Some printer models do not come with the required driver CDs, and users have to search for the software themselves. This can be done in one of several ways.
- Use a special application. The most famous and free is Driver Booster. The program will independently find the required driver, download and install.
- Search manually. There are two options here. Enter the name of the printer in the address bar, go to the manufacturer’s website and download the software in the appropriate section. And you can also download it through the “Device Manager” panel, but this is in the event that Windows detects the printing device.
- Update the system. Go to “Control Panel”, go to “Windows Update” and run “Check for Updates”.
The latter method may work if a popular printer is installed. In all other cases, it is advisable to try the methods described above.
If the downloaded software is fully compatible with the operating system and peripheral device, the installation process will be shown in the lower left corner after starting the driver. When finished, the laptop needs to be restarted. You don’t have to take any further steps.
How to set up printing?
This is one of the last points for the initial setup of the printer, and you need to resort to the final stage only when you are confident that the peripheral device is correctly connected and the necessary drivers are loaded into the system.
To change the “Default” parameters in the printing machine, open the “Control Panel”, “Devices and Printers”, select the name of the office equipment and click on the “Printing Preferences” button. This will open a dialog box with a large list of functions, where you can adjust each option.
For example, a user can change or select before printing a document:
- paper size;
- number of copies;
- saving toner, ink;
- range of pages;
- selection of even, odd pages;
- print to file and more.
Flexible settings allow you to customize your printer to suit your priorities.
How to connect a printer to a laptop via a USB cable?
It can be really problematic to connect complex office equipment, especially for beginners who have just bought a peripheral device and do not have sufficient knowledge and practice. The issue is complicated by the large number of printer models and the presence of different operating systems of the Windows family, as well as Mac OS. To set up the operation of the printing device, you should carefully read the instructions and follow useful recommendations.
When connecting a peripheral device to a computer or laptop, problems can arise not only for inexperienced users.
Difficulties are often faced by staffing office employees who have worked with the printer for more than one year.
Therefore, it makes sense to identify several difficult situations and talk about ways to solve.
- The computer or laptop does not see the office equipment. Here you need to check the USB cable connection. If possible, use a different wire known to be serviceable. Connect it to another PC port.
- The laptop does not recognize the peripheral. The main problem most likely lies in the lack of a driver. You need to install the software and restart your computer.
- The printer does not connect. Check if the correct cord is selected. This often happens when the printing device is bought hand-held.
- The laptop does not recognize the printer. The forced method will help here when you need to use the help of the “Connection Wizard”. You need to go to the “Control Panel”, select “Devices and Printers”, click on the “Add a device” tab. The computer will find the device on its own.
If the recommendations described above did not help, you will have to contact the service center.
Each user can connect the printer to a computer, laptop without any assistance. The main thing is to carefully read the instructions supplied with the printing device. And also know what operating system is installed on the PC. It will not be superfluous to prepare in advance a USB cable, an optical drive with a driver or a ready-made software package downloaded from the official website.
When everything is ready, the process of pairing the printer with the computer should be straightforward.
How to connect the printer to a laptop with a USB cable, see below.
I can’t install the printer software on my computer, what should I do?
Technology can be extremely fussy, especially when it’s brand new and you expect everything to run smoothly. If your computer is unresponsive to connecting a new printer, prompting you to install the printer software, here’s a simple solution.
Sometimes it only takes a small direct connection to get it up and running. Your printer should come with a USB cable, whether wired or wireless.
Connect the cable to the printer and to a USB port on your computer. Direct linking should cause your computer to recognize the printer and run the software needed to complete the installation.
If your computer is still unresponsive, make sure you turn on automatic device installation. Follow these steps to confirm or update your settings.
Access to the control panel
To the right of the Windows Start menu, use the Cortana search engine to find Control Panel by simply typing Control Panel.
Find the device installation options
In the control panel window, use the search bar in the upper right corner and enter “change device installation settings.” This will bring up a pop-up window with a printer icon next to it, which will allow you to change the installation options.
Update your settings
After clicking the “Change device installation options” button, a new window will appear asking if you want Windows to load drivers and realistic icons for your devices. Click “Yes”, save your changes and you’re done!
How to Install a USB Printer in a Wireless Router | Small Business
Although USB printers are designed to be used through a direct connection to a single computer, not only can they be shared, they can also be shared wirelessly with a workgroup. There are two different approaches to sharing them wirelessly with multiple computers. One of the options. connect the printer directly to a USB port on your wireless router with print server, if conveniently located. connect a USB printer to a wireless printer server. Using a wireless print server that supports Wi-Fi-Protected Setup makes the process extremely easy.
Connect your printer
- After you clicked “Add Printer or Scanner”, Windows should detect your printer is connected via USB cable
- When your printer name appears, click it and complete the installation according to your computer’s instructions
That’s all! Your printer should be plugged in and up and running, ready to print beautiful pages.
Connect your printer to your computer
- On the Devices screen, you should find the Add Printer or Scanner option.
- After clicking on it, the name of your printer. usually with the manufacturer’s name and model number. should appear as available.
- Select “Add a device” and your computer will do the rest to complete the wireless setup.
Complete the task
- Your device will display a print preview page asking you how you might want to customize the print job and the number of copies you want to make.
- After you have finished entering the information, click “Print” and the job will be completed.
How to connect the printer to portable devices
It seems as if we are constantly attached to our favorite portable devices and rely on them for hundreds of daily tasks. New and constantly improving technologies allow those on the road to type with a touch of a finger. Need to quickly convert the contents of your 6 “screen to letters and images on an 8½” x 11 “piece of paper? We are here to show you how.
Find your printer
- Open the app on your Apple device that you want to print with
- After you get the document you want, tap the app share icon
- From the list of shared options, tap the Print icon and select your printer
Setting up a print server on a router
If you have any difficulties, you can use the utility to configure the print server on the router. You can download it from the manufacturer’s official website by selecting your router model in the “Downloads” section.
To configure the print server on TP-link routers, the proprietary TP-Link UDS Printer Controller utility is used. After you have downloaded and installed the program on your computer, run it and it will automatically find all printers connected to the router. Select the one you want to use for automatic connection.
The utility works with Windows and Mac OS.
For D-Link routers, use the proprietary SIUtility utility. If you have a router from another manufacturer, look for compatible software on the official website.
Connecting the printer to the laptop
Connecting a printer is a fairly simple procedure, but not without certain nuances. In this article, we will try to give the most complete overview of the process of correctly setting up the printer when synchronizing it with a laptop. The same tips are quite applicable in the case of stationary computers. there are no significant differences in the setup rules.
Using the resources of manufacturers
This method involves self-installation of drivers from the websites of manufacturers of the connected equipment. Accessing the official websites of well-known brands such as Canon or HP via a computer is absolutely safe from the point of view of the possibility of receiving malicious software.
To find the driver you need, you just need to know the model of your printer. The exact specifications can be found either in the accompanying documentation or on the case. After the model name is found, you can start searching through the browser. As a rule, when specifying the exact name in the search bar of any browser, the manufacturer’s website will be in the first position in the list of drop-down options for various sites offering programs. Usually, but not always. Therefore, in order to exclude potential threats to your computer, pay close attention to the site where you got when you click on the link. The manufacturer’s website is difficult to confuse with any other: firstly, its name, as a rule, speaks for itself, and secondly, such a website is usually clearly structured and devoid of all sorts of unnecessary information that is not directly related to the maintenance of branded equipment.
Drivers need to be downloaded only from official sites, because it is safe and you are guaranteed to receive the latest software version.
For example, you need drivers for an HP printer.
- We go to the site http://www8.HP.com.
- Through the “Support” menu we find the item “Drivers and Programs”.
- Enter the product name or serial number in the search bar.
- We find a list of software offered in our case.
- We select the necessary (you may need information about the version of your OS, be prepared for this).
- We are waiting for the completion of the download of the package and, by running the file, install the drivers, following the prompts of the wizard.
The most difficult, as a rule, is the procedure for the correct installation and configuration of drivers. If the printer was purchased recently, then in the factory box you can probably find an installation disk with the necessary information and a list of programs required for correct operation. Using the installation disk for the initial connection is the simplest procedure, which is at the same time the fastest setup options. But what if you were unlucky and the disc was not in the box? Or maybe the box itself is not there, since the printer was purchased a long time ago or was given away as unnecessary by someone from friends.
To “get” the necessary drivers for a printer without a disk, you will need 10-15 minutes of time, a small amount of ingenuity and focus on the result. There are two ways to search:
- through Windows tools;
- by downloading software on manufacturers’ websites.
This option, as a rule, is relevant for the simplest models, the functionality of which provides for elementary procedures for standard printing and scanning (if we are talking about an MFP), without the possibility of using advanced parameter settings. The Windows Update system contains drivers for the most popular models in their simplest version and can search for the necessary programs by itself when connecting the printer.
If this did not happen within a few minutes after joining, then it is recommended to go the following way:
- open the “Control Panel”;
- select the menu item “Hardware and Sound”;
- find “Devices and Printers”;
- in the window that appears on the screen, right-click the image and click “Windows Update”;
- in the window that opens, click the line “Check for updates” and wait for 15-35 minutes for the completion of the search process for all available updates, as well as their download;
- restart the computer and check if the printer is working correctly.
Configuring the parameters for the correct automatic installation of drivers using Windows is carried out as follows.
- In the “Devices and Printers” menu, select “Computer” with the right mouse button.
- In the window that appears, click on “Device Installation Options”.
- In the next window, select the “Yes (recommended)” menu item and confirm the selection with the “Save” button.
From this moment, if there is a stable Internet, all necessary driver updates and other software updates will be downloaded and installed on the computer without your direct participation.
Using the Connection Setup Wizard
The connection wizard is built into the printer’s operating system and allows you to quickly and easily connect via WI-FI. A prerequisite will be support for the WPA or WEP protocols. For the configuration itself, you will need information about the SSID of the network and the password to access it.
Through the printer’s control panel, go to the “Settings” menu item and select “Network”. After that, the wizard, without your participation, will begin to search for all available wi-fi networks in the immediate vicinity, and a complete list of them will be displayed on the screen. If the required network is not in the proposed list, try to find it by manually entering the name. If the network is found, it remains only for security reasons to change the password for access to it. That’s it, you can start using the device in working mode.
Setting up a network printer
You can configure the laptop to access a printer that is already connected to another computer using the Network Printer Setup feature. When choosing the driver properties, you need to activate the ability to access over the network, and print from a laptop through a connection to the equipment via a network.
The wizard is launched through the “Control Panel” of the computer. In the window that opens, you need to add a printer via the “Add network” context menu item, after a few minutes or seconds, depending on the operating speed of the OS, the necessary equipment will be found. After that, you need to go to the printer settings through the shortcut that appears and enter the device’s IP address (you can find it in the instructions). After the performed manipulations, the laptop needs to be restarted, and if everything is done correctly, the printer will start its work.
Connecting using WPS
The simplest option for synchronization, a prerequisite for which is the very possibility of “Wi-Fi Protected Setup” in the functionality of both devices. On the bottom of the router, you should find the WPS icon, in the immediate vicinity of which you can find the pin code required for configuration. The next step is to configure the router through the system menu.
- To do this, go to the web interface through any browser by typing the path 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 in the address bar, depending on the device model, and find the Device PIN line, where we enter the pin code mentioned just above.
- Make sure there is WPA / WPA2 protection and disable MAC filtering.
- If the printer has a button that activates WPS, press it and wait for the wi-fi system equipment to complete the search process.
- Through “Printers and Faxes” we find the device we need and open the context menu, where we put a checkbox opposite the line “Use by default”.