Step-by-step tutorial: connect an external hard drive to Apple iPad
The iPad USB Camera Connection Kit turns out to be much more functional than we thought. Experienced Max Sha user managed to connect an external hard drive to iPad using this set. All you need is a jailbroken iPad, an external hard drive, a powered USB cable, and a terminal (such as a MacBook). The diagram below looks a little weird and cumbersome, but it clearly shows that iPad memory can be expanded to a couple of terabytes without any problems.
Below is a complete step-by-step guide from Max Sha:
First you need to prepare the devices:
An external hard drive with an HFS or FAT32 file system is required. NOTE: all data will be erased during formatting!
Install iFile in Cydia (4.00 for the full version, but there is also a free trial version) and OpenSSH (free).
In the same place in Cydia, install the terminal editor “Nano”.
For the demonstration, Max used the GoodReader app for iPad (.99).
The external hard drive needs additional power. If you have an HDD with a separate power supply, then you do not need to do anything else. If it is powered by USB, then it is necessary to use a branched USB-cable with additional power.
Open “Settings” in the iPad and find the IP address of the device (you must be on the same subnet as the iPad).
Open Terminal, on Mac /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app, on Windows use Putty.
Log in via SSH to your iPad using the IP address from the “Settings” app:
If you haven’t changed your password, it will be “alpine”. NOTE: Be sure to change the default password. To do this, simply enter the command:
You will be prompted for a new password. Then do the same for gjkmpjdfntkz “mobile”:
Now enter the following commands in the terminal:
mkdir / Volumes
mkdir / Volumes / EXT
ln.s / Volumes / EXT / var / mobile / EXT
nano /var/stash/Applications.xxxxxx/iFile.app/Info.plist (“xxxxxx”. are the characters after “Applications.” If you type “/ var / stash / Applications” and press “Tab” they will be entered automatically).
The nano editor will open. Add the following after “” (this will make iFile more usable on iPad):
Then press “Ctrlx”, then “Y” and “Enter”. This will save the changes.
Overloading the iPad. The SSH connection will be closed. Following steps 1-3, we establish a connection with the iPad again (there is no need to change passwords again).
Open iFile, go to settings. It is recommended to use the settings as shown below. Most importantly, enable “Application Names”. Click “Done”. Exit iFile by pressing the Home button. Run iFile again.
In iFile, go to “/ Volumes /”. Click the “Edit” button in the upper right corner.
We mark the circle next to the “EXT” folder, which. we created in step 4.
Click on “Box with an arrow” from the bottom right. In the dialog box, click “Copy / Link”.
In iFile, go to “var / mobile / Applications /”. Now you will see the names of the applications. Go to the “GoodReader” folder, and then to the “Documents” folder.
Click the “Edit” button. Then select “Box with an arrow” from the bottom right. Then we press the button “Create Link”. Now you will see the “EXT” folder. Click “Done” from the top right.
We take an external hard drive and connect the power first (for example, to a Macbook Pro). Then we connect the main USB cable to the iPad. You may see an “Insufficient power to mount this drive” message on your iPad. This is not scary, but with a full external power supply this will not happen and everything will work better.
What we are looking for is called “disk1s1 ″. If this line does not appear, try to repeat steps 15-16 again. If you see “disk1s1 ″ proceed to step 17.
For a hard disk with the FAT32 file system, write the following in the terminal:
It may take a few seconds to connect.
Everything is now ready. You can use an external hard drive using iFile and GoodReader. As an example of use, watch the video.
To disconnect the hard drive, write in the terminal:
Many thanks to Max Sha for a great experiment and detailed guide!
HyperDrive iPad Hard Drive
This device is designed specifically for the iPad, which is why the iPad is in the name. HyperDrive iPad Hard Drive connects to iPad using wire and Camera Connection Kit.
As you can see, the developers did not bother much with some convenient special program. HyperDrive is perceived as a flash drive and the work is the same as with flash drives via CCKit.
There is a more expensive option for geeks with a screen:
There is also such a device from HyperDrive. iFlashDrive.
I think from the picture it is clear how it works and why.
In my subjective opinion, the device is not worth the money that is asked for it. And some kind of frivolous attitude to the software for HyperDrive is alarming.
Seagate GoFlex Satellite
Looks like the most interesting device at the moment. And if I took a hard drive for the iPad, then, most likely, I would stop at this option.
Here’s how the Seagate GoFlex Satellite is advertised:
Access to content from iPad is carried out through a browser or through a special free utility.
Many, I think, will want this device for storing and playing movies. But you should be aware that by default streaming will only be possible for mp4 and m4v, Apple’s native formats. To play AVI or MKV you need a third party player from the App Store. But since there are problems with the players now, you still have to find a suitable player.
The device is charged from a computer via a USB 3.0 port. Hard disk weight 398 grams.
details on the Seagate GoFlex Satellite can be viewed on the Seagate official website. And I note that this hard drive, unlike the next, is designed for both Apple devices and ordinary smartphones.
External hard drive for iPad
I am such a person that I quickly light up with something and quickly implement my ideas. Olya, by the way, is the same. I will give you diverse examples from life.
I worked in an interesting high-paying job. In November 2009, I got the idea to move to Thailand. Less than three months have passed since we already lived in our beloved Thai city of Chiang Mai. I wanted to completely abandon meat. I did it right there. I myself did not notice how I became a vegetarian. I wanted a reader to read more. after a couple of days I enjoyed reading on my Nook.
But it happens that I light up, but after weighing all the pros and cons, I abandon the idea. Then I can return to the idea, light up again and refuse again. Buying an external hard drive for iPad is one such unrealized idea. Nevertheless, in the article I would like to reveal this topic a little.
Yes, it is possible to connect a hard drive to iPad and enjoy videos, music and photos from it.
Well, I also liked another device that can be told about.
It exists in three trim levels of 16, 32 and 64 gigabytes. Essentially a little memory pump for your tablet. The device is suitable not only for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch, but also for any tablet or smartphone with Wi-Fi.
The Kingston Wi-Drive is charged via USB. Battery life up to 4 hours. iPad has Wi-Fi access to it. Remarkable weight of the device: only 85 grams.
Data management is the same as with the Seagate GoFlex using a dedicated free utility from the App Store.
information about the device can be found on the official Kingston website.
Cons of HyperDrive Hard Drive
- Price. by no means small, but taking into account the necessary adapter “iPad Camera Connection Kit”, also not too cheap, makes you seriously think about the expediency of buying.
- The main disadvantage. you can easily record photos and videos from HyperDrive to iPad, or just view them on it, just as easily you can record them from a laptop or personal computer to HyperDrive, but unfortunately you cannot transfer photos or videos from iPad to HyperDrive.
In the case of Aypad, the gadget acts only in one direction, and therefore it is not a full-fledged external hard drive.
External hard drive for iPad
Many of the owners of the iPad tablet computer complain about the too small amount of available memory for recording data. As you know, all iPads are sold in one of three configurations: 16Gb, 32Gb and 64Gb and no other.
64Gb of space seems more than enough for most users (even 16 or 32 gigabytes is enough for some, and even remains superfluous :)), but not for those who regularly watch on a tablet, say, high-definition video or perform some other specific actions.
Especially for them, in this article we will look at a device called “HyperDrive Hard Drive for iPad”, that is, an external hard drive for the iPad, which is manufactured by Sanho.
This gadget is available in several modifications: with a capacity of 250Gb, 500Gb, 750Gb and even 1 terabyte of memory. Accordingly, the more, the more expensive.
HyperDrive Hard Drive is compatible with all iPad versions including 1st modification. But at the same time, to connect the device to the iPad, you need a special gadget adapter “iPad Camera Connection Kit”, which is a significant drawback.
A built-in hard drive (that is, a memory card) is not hard-wired once and for all (like an iPad). On the contrary, you can replace it with any 2.5 “SATA interface drive (5mm, 7.5mm, 9.5mm or 12mm thick) or even purchase a” HyperDrive Hard Drive “without a built-in drive at all (for about 100), and insert there your memory card, if you have one. But before buying a device, I advise you to make sure that it supports the memory card that you want to use with it in the future.
HyperDrive Hard Drive, in comparison with conventional external hard drives, has a small screen on which you can view downloaded pictures. You can also manage files, that is, move them, copy and delete them.
For example, I will give some technical characteristics of the gadget “HyperDrive Hard Drive 250GB (HDIP-250)”.
- Capacity. 250 GB
- Dimensions. 135x84x19 mm
- Weight. 300 gr
- Works with operating systems Windows 2000 / XP / Vista / Windows 7, Mac OS 9.x, 10.x and higher, Linux
- Data download speed from a stationary computer to a disk. up to 66 Mb / s
- The speed of downloading data from disk to iPad. 6.2 Mb / s
HyperDrive Hard Drive. price
HyperDrive Hard Drive 500Gb:
I will now briefly describe some of the cons of the device, then. basic principles of its work.
Working with HyperDrive Hard Drive
- Since the HyperDrive Hard Drive has a built-in battery (lithium-ion) with a declared capacity of 1600mAh, it must be charged using the cable supplied with the device to operate.
- A new hard disk must be formatted before use. If you inserted a memory card into HyperDrive that you used somewhere before, then, of course, you do not need to format it.
- “Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit” is inserted into the iPad, a USB cable is connected to it, the other end of the cable is connected to HyperDrive.
- After connecting the cable, a folder with the name “iPad” will appear on the HyperDrive screen, in which you can select those photos or videos that you would like to see on your tablet.
- You can now use them on your iPad.
For most iPad users, this device will seem like an unnecessary and useless expensive toy. But in the meantime, it significantly increases the size of images and videos that can be viewed on the iPad.
over, what is important, you do not need an Internet connection to view and work with them. Thus, despite the high cost and other limitations, it can be useful for travelers, photographers, videographers who work with high-quality video and photo material that cannot fit on a regular iPad.
Choose where you want to save your photos and videos
First, decide where you want to store your collection of photos and videos. You can make them available on all your devices with iCloud and Photos. Or you can choose to store them locally, only on your Mac or PC.
Import to Mac
You can use the Photos app to import photos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac using iCloud without a photo. These steps also work for importing images from digital cameras and SD cards.
- Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes on your Mac. Importing Photos to Mac requires iTunes 12.5.1 or later.
- Connect your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch or digital camera to your Mac using a USB cable. If you are using an SD card, insert it into the SD slot on your computer, or connect it via a card reader.
- You may need to unlock your iOS device with a password. You can also see hints on the iOS device, please trust this computer. Click the “Trust” button to continue.
- On your Mac, the Photos app opens automatically. If not, open the Photos app.
- The Photos app shows a screen to import all photos and videos stored on the connected device. If the import screen does not appear automatically, open the import tab at the top of the photo app, or click the device name in the sidebar of the photo.
- To import photos, select the ones you want, then click the Import Selected button. To import all new photos, click the Import all new photos button.
- You can now disconnect your device from your Mac. If you’ve imported photos from an SD card or other USB devices, safely remove the device first.
In High Sierra in macOS or later, imported photos appear in the import photo album of the application. If you are using an earlier version of Mac, then you will find them in your last import album.
Photos and videos that you synced from your computer to your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch using iTunes cannot be imported back to your computer.
How to connect a hard drive to an ipad
Learn how to transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac or PC. We’ll also show you how to make your photos available on all your devices with iCloud Photos.
Get photos from your computer to iOS device
You can choose from several options to transfer photos and videos from your computer to your iPhone, iPad or iPod by touch:
- Use iCloud Photos with Photos for macOS or iCloud for Windows. to keep your photos securely stored and updated across all devices.
- Use AirDrop to wirelessly transfer photos and videos from your Mac to iOS devices. This fast and easy Mac is the only option for sending multiple items. When you send photos and videos to an iOS device via AirDrop, they appear in the device’s photos app.
- Sync your photos manually with iTunes. Every time you sync your iOS device with iTunes, the photos and videos on your iOS device are updated to match the albums on your computer.
With iCloud Photos, you can access your photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, Apple TV, iCloud.com, and even your computer. Your latest shots are automatically added to iCloud Photos, and any organizational changes or changes you make are always kept up to date across all your devices.
- Make sure the software on your iPhone or iPod touch, your Mac, and your Apple TV.
- Set up iCloud across all your devices. If you have a computer, download iCloud for Windows. Make sure you sign in to iCloud with the same Apple ID on all devices.
- Make sure your device is connected to Wi-Fi Internet.
- On your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, go to Settings [your name] iCloud “Photos” then turn on “iCloud Photos”.
- On a Mac, go to System Preferences for an iCloud account. Click the Options button next to Photo and then select iCloud Photo.
- On your Apple TV, go to Settings Accounts in iCloud “iCloud Photos”.
- On your computer, follow these steps to set up iCloud Photos.
If you already sync photos to your iOS device using iTunes, and then you turn on iCloud Photos on your iOS device, you will see a message that “Photos and videos synced from iTunes will be deleted.” Photos and videos synced from your computer will remain on your computer, but they are deleted from your iOS device.
You can get these photos and videos on your iOS device by enabling iCloud Photos on your Mac or PC. When you do this, the photos from your computer are in iCloud, so you can access them on all your devices. After turning on iCloud and Photos, all photos are in iCloud and accessible from the Photos app on your Mac or a folder on your PC.
You can get more help using iCloud Photos on your Mac or PC.
Photos and videos you store in iCloud Photos use iCloud storage. Before you turn on iCloud Photos, make sure you have enough iCloud space to store your entire collection. You can see how much space you need and then upgrade your storage plan if needed.
How to use a USB hard drive with an iPad/iPhone
Import to your PC
You can import photos to your computer by connecting your device to your computer and using the Windows Photos application:
- Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes on your computer. Importing photos to your PC requires iTunes 12.5.1 or later.
- Connect your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to your computer using a USB cable.
- You may need to unlock your iOS device with a password.
- You can also see hints on the iOS device, please trust this computer. Click the Trust or Allow button to continue.
Then follow the steps in these Microsoft Knowledge Base articles to learn how to import photos into the Windows Photos app:
When you import videos from an iOS device to your computer, some may not be rotated correctly in the Windows Photos app. You can add these videos to iTunes. to play them in the correct orientation.
If you have iCloud Photos enabled, you need to download the original, full resolution versions of your photos on your iPhone before importing them to your PC. Find out how.
Photos and videos that can be synced from computer to iOS device using iTunes cannot be imported back to computer.
Why the tablet does not see the hard drive
The most common reason why a tablet computer does not see an external hard drive is a lack of power to power an external device. The fact is that standard hards do not have their own power supply and receive electricity directly from the device or equipment to which the hard drive is connected.
Since a hard disk device consists of several physical platters with clusters of data that are read through the read and write head, this process is quite energy-consuming and is intended more for voltage of power supplies in computers than in mobile devices. But this does not mean at all that if your tablet could not provide power to one hard drive, then it will be so with all.
The fact is that the energy consumed in a data storage device such as a hard drive depends on the read speed specified in the characteristics.
The higher the read and write speed, the more power is wasted. Therefore, for use on tablets, it is better to purchase standard hard drives without an accelerated read and write function.
In addition, the problem may be that the device simply does not support the amount of memory of the connected drive. The supported memory capacity of an external device is indicated in the specifications of the tablet, and as a rule it is no more than 128 GB.
About the author of this site
Hello. My name is Petr. I am the author of this site. In it, I talk about things that are very interesting to me. Namely about tablets. In my blog, I try to tell in simple language about the firmware, settings and new products of all modern tablets.
Via microUSB-OTG adapter
The most popular and working method of connection is via a USB-OTG cable or adapter. At one end of such a cord or adapter there is a standard microUSB for connecting to a tablet computer, and at the other end there is an OTG interface, which is an input for a standard USB connector.
Thus, you can connect an external hard drive via OTG-USB by inserting the USB cable from the hard drive into the OTG port, and connecting the microUSB to the mobile device.
The external drive will be displayed on the device after 2-3 minutes, so it is not difficult for the tablet to see it. In addition to an external data storage device, a similar adapter or cable can be used to connect all kinds of external peripherals, be it a mouse, keyboard, printer, gamepad or flash drive.
Ways to connect the hard drive to the tablet
There are several ways to connect your hard drive to your tablet. The method you choose depends on your tablet model and whether the previous option worked. I recommend that you test the effectiveness of each method in the order in which the options are listed below.
It is recommended to resort to software solutions only when the gadget does not recognize the connected device even through a working OTG adapter.
There are several applications, after the installation of which the tablet computer will be able to determine the hard drive connected to it, allowing you to work with it and view the data on it.
Among such software, 2 options can be distinguished:
- USB media explorer. The program for any mobile device running the Android operating system from version 4.4 and higher. The operation of the application is that it scans the external hard drive connected with the OTG-USB adapter, broadcasting its contents to the device itself. It works very conveniently and flawlessly. Media explorer costs only 3.99 and is installed via the Play Market.
- StickMount. An old but still effective program by which the device detects an external storage device and mounts it in a specific file directory for public access. Unlike the previous software, this USB-OTG program is free, but you need to download it from third-party sites and you need to get root rights before installing.
The app connection method works in most cases. If he did not help, then you need to start looking for the problem and eliminate its cause.
How to connect an external hard drive to your tablet
On a tablet computer of any brand (Huawei, Samsung, Lenovo, Sony, iPad, Surface, etc.) and operating system (Android, iOs, Windows), a situation may arise when you need to connect a hard drive.
This may be due to the fact that the internal memory of the device is full, and instead of buying an SD card, it is much cheaper to use an external hard drive that you already have at home.
Also, external hard drive comes in handy when you need to make a data recovery point. Well, such a drive can be used simply as a storage location for data that can be played back at any time.
Some users store their favorite movies in this way, watching them by connecting the hard drive to an Android tablet or other operating systems.
Based on the above, you should know how to connect an external hard drive to your tablet and do it correctly. The connection itself is quite simple, regardless of the chosen method, but this topic has several important details related to malfunctions and errors in operation, so it is important to know about them.
Other possible problems
Also, the problem may lie in different file systems. Almost all tablets are of the FAT32 file system, while hard drives are both FAT32 and NTFS.
Well, if you have a choice, then it is better to purchase an SSD drive. An SSD uses significantly less power and is much faster than an HDD. Having bought it, you can forget about the problem related to how to connect an external hard drive to the tablet.
How to choose a router and HDD?
To connect a network drive to the network via a router, you need to acquire a “correct” router. It must be equipped with a USB port. If the router has Gigabit LAN ports, the USB version matters. If there are interfaces with a transfer rate of 1000 Mbps, USB 3.0 is required. It provides write speeds up to 60MB / s and read speeds up to 100MB / s.
For a budget router, port 2 is fine. USB 2.0 bandwidth is enough to watch Full HD movies from multiple devices.
If the budget is limited, you will have to forget about the headroom. If you have the money and the organization of serious storage, you should take care of purchasing a dual-band router with MIMO support. Then an integrated torrent client will not hurt.
It’s easier with a drive. Even an HDD from an old laptop will do. It is not difficult to purchase a USB-SATA adapter, and it costs 300-400 rubles. Another option: buying a 3.5 ”hard drive with a docking station, but the router may not” see “such a solution. Optimal output. external HDD with USB interface.
Connecting a hard drive to a router: instructions for different routers
The apartment has many devices that require an internet connection or a home network. Thanks to this, TV, laptop, mobile gadgets gain access to the user’s personal storage. So he will be able to watch movies and series stored on the hard drive of the computer from any device. The computer must work constantly to provide content to other consumers: consume electricity, make noise, wear out
Buying network attached storage (NAS) is not cheap for many people. They cost from 10,000 rubles. But the presence of a modern router and an external hard drive can easily solve the problem.
The process is similar for all routers, but the configuration interfaces are different. Beginners do not always understand general instructions if items or options are called synonyms. Let’s consider how a hard drive is connected to routers of the most popular manufacturers.
Connect the router to the hard drive with a USB cable.
- Go to the explorer;
- Find “Network” in the left menu;
- In the “Network Infrastructure” window that opens, click in an empty space with the RMB and click “Refresh”;
- An icon for the drive that is connected to the router will be displayed.
This completes the connection of the hard disk to the ASUS router, you can launch Explorer and go to the storage device. In this case, enter the password that protects the WEB interface from where you configure the router. If you have not changed the data, this is the word “admin” in both fields.
To view the contents of the storage on Android, you need to get a normal file manager, for example, ES Explorer. In the program, select the source “LAN”, and enter the data for authorization.
Wi-Fi TVs also have USB content playback function.
- DLNA. standards that allow media content to be transmitted over the network, including to play it;
- FTP server;
- iTunes Server.
To activate and configure them, go to the “USB Application” tab and click on the “File / Media Server” section.
How to make a home network on a TP-Link router is described in the following
To connect a network drive to a router from this manufacturer, we do this:
- Switch the HDD and router. Restart the router.
- Go to the WEB-interface of its settings through a browser.
- In the “Network Sharing” section, click “Sharing Service”.
- Enter a name for the drive and activate the “Share this volume” option.
- In “Network Sharing” go to “User Accounts” and create admin and guest profiles.
- In “Sharing Service” click “Start”.
The storage is accessed in the same way as with devices from ASUS.
On the main page of the router’s WEB interface, check the boxes shown in the screenshot below and restart the equipment.
Check if the drive is recognized in the tab of the same name.
When using older devices with up to 128 MB of memory, it is recommended to include a swap file of at least 256 MB. It will additionally load the HDD. If it is connected via USB version 2, the read / write speed (available to the user) may be noticeably reduced.
In the “Windows Networking” tab, configure sharing: select a folder and specify how clients will see it.
Accounts are created in the “Users” tab, they are given privileges.
The final touch. specifying the directory for storing downloaded torrent files.
Owners of TV with DLNA support need to enable the corresponding component in the tab of the same name in the “Applications”.
You can also configure remote access to network drive partitions over the Internet. How to do it:
- Create an IPsec Virtual IP server in the Security menu, IPsec VPN section. Be sure to check the boxes next to “Enable” and “Translate client addresses (NAT) if you want to allow server clients to use the Internet connection.
- In the “Applications” menu, go to the “KeenDNS” tab. KeenDNS is the permanent address for the Keenetic. Here you need to set the operating mode:
- “Through the cloud”. access only via HTTP;
- “Direct access”. the ability to access home network devices using any protocol, if such access is not limited by the provider.
For convenience, it is recommended to install software on your phone or laptop for remote control without entering the WEB interface of the router. Transmission Remote.
- Connect the network drive and router.
- Go to the router settings through the browser.
- Click on “Network Application”.
- Go to the “USB Application” tab in the left vertical menu.
- Enable FTP by checking the box next to “Enable FTP Server”.
- Fill in the fields below:
- password for access to HDD;
- name of the USB device;
- way to it.
- Save the settings with the “Apply” button.
Preparing the drive
Most “dummies” work on Windows, and therefore for them the choice of the file system is obvious. NTFS. It is better to connect such a hard drive to ASUS and Zyxel Keenetic routers, which use special NTFS drivers, which guarantees high speed. The rest of the routers cannot boast of normal read and write speeds. Apple needs HFS.
Since most routers run on Linux, there will be no compatibility issues when formatting the hard drive in Ext4. However, its connection to a Windows PC will not be possible without creating a new file system on the disk with data loss.
There is bad news for people planning to use their old drive. They will have to delete all partitions and format the drive, because routers, as a rule, do not recognize more than one partition.