How to connect a printer via Wi-Fi
Many modern printers and MFPs, for example the common Epson and Canon models, support Wi-Fi connectivity. i.e. The printer connects to your wireless network (Wi-Fi router) and becomes available for use on all devices that are connected to the same router, which is very convenient.
Connecting office equipment via a wireless network is usually NOT complicated and manufacturers offer their own programs and applications for mobile phones (and sometimes you can do without them) that make it easy to connect a printer via Wi-Fi. Below are examples for common brands.
How to connect an MFP or Epson printer via Wi-Fi
Connecting Wi-Fi-enabled Epson printers of common models (L3050, L805, L366, L486, L4160, L6160 and others) is very SIMple.
Connect your computer or laptop to the same wireless network to which the printer will be connected, then follow these steps:
- Go to the Epson.Sn website, enter your printer model in the search box and press Enter.
- Click on the item “Settings”, and then. “Download”, the proprietary program Epson Install Navi will be downloaded, allowing you to easily make subsequent settings. Run it.
- At the first stage, the program will download and install the necessary drivers, and then offer to configure the connection to the printer. Select “Wi-Fi Connection”.
- Further, all instructions will appear on the screen. you will need to press the Wi-Fi button on the printer, wait for the indication, after which your computer will “find” the printer and send it the Wi-Fi connection parameters to connect to the router.
- If at the 4th step you have problems and the connection failed, try again to select the Wi-Fi connection, but with the introduction of the WPS button on the router (instructions will appear in the program). See What is the WPS button on a Wi-Fi router.
- If this method does not work either, you can connect to the printer via USB and after that configure the wireless connection settings using the same program.
- At the final stage, if you wish, you can set a static IP for the printer by choosing manual configuration of the IP address instead of DHCP (in some cases it may be useful). Specify an address located on the subnet of your router (for example, if the router’s address is 192.168.1.1, you can specify something like 192.168.1.100).
This completes the connection (you will be prompted to download additional Epson programs, optional) and you can work with the printer via Wi-Fi.
The rest of the computers on the same network, as well as mobile phones with the Epson iPrint application installed, usually automatically find the printer, but for computers I recommend repeating the installation of the drivers (to be able to set up printing, as well as scanning over the network if you have an MFP).
There is also an easier (partly) way to connect Epson printers to Wi-Fi. press and hold the Wi-Fi button on the printer until the indicator next to it starts blinking with the left and right sides, and then press and hold the WPS button on the router (then release ). The printer should connect automatically, and the Wi-Fi indicator will stop blinking and just stay on. After that, you will need to add a network printer on your computer. But I recommend the option Described earlier.
How to connect a Canon printer via Wi-Fi
For Canon printers and MFPs, in general, there are the same Wi-Fi connection methods (I recommend using the second one):
I hope the instructions helped you connect your printer via Wi-Fi. If something does not work out, leave comments. perhaps a solution will be found.
Drivers are required for the printer to function correctly. They are usually contained on a disc, which, together with the cables, is included with the printer upon purchase. To install the drivers, you need to place the media in the drive of your laptop and wait for it to start automatically. If the disc does not open by itself, you should do it manually through “My Computer” by double-clicking on the name of the drive with the driver.
How to connect a printer to a laptop via Wi-Fi?
Many modern printers can be connected to a computer via Wi-Fi. Before installing such a device, you need to make sure that the wireless function is enabled and available on it. The button with the corresponding icon allows you to find out. On most models of office equipment, it is highlighted in blue if the connection is functioning correctly. Also, to work with a wireless printer, you must have access to the Internet. After checking the connection, the user should add the printer to the system for further configuration:
- Windows 10 (same aLGorithm as wired printer):
- If the system does not automatically identify office equipment, open “Start”, go to “Settings”, in the “Devices” section, select “Printers and scanners”.
- Click on the “Add” button.
- If the device is not found, it will be named “The required printer is not in the list” to proceed to manual configuration.
After successfully connecting the printer to the laptop, it remains to complete the print setup. This procedure is carried out through the control panel of the computer. The user is required to:
- Enter the “Control Panel” and select the category “Devices and Printers”.
- Find the name of your office equipment in the list, name it with the right button and click “Print Settings”.
- In the window that opens, set the appropriate parameters: paper size, page orientation, number of copies, image quality, paper source, etc. Click the “Apply” button for the changes to take effect. The specified settings will be used when printing documents from a laptop.
How to install a printer without an installation disc?
It is not uncommon for printer owners to lose driver discs. In addition, not all modern laptops are equipped with CD drives, so installation will not be possible even with media. In this case, you need to resort to alternative methods of installing drivers.
Using Windows Update:
- Enter “Control Panel” and open “Device Manager”.
- Expand the “Printers” section and find your model in the drop-down list. Name the device with the right mouse button and click “Update drivers”. Select the option “Automatic search” and follow the further instructions.
Manually via the website of the printing device manufacturer:
- If Windows Update cannot find the driver you are looking for, you should download it yourself.
- The actual files are most often placed on the support page of the official website of the printer manufacturer. In the same place, the user is provided with detailed instructions for installation and configuration.
- Links for downloading drivers for printers from popular manufacturers:
- HP. support.HP.com;
- Canon. canon.ru/support;
- Epson. epson.ru/suppor;
- Samsung. samsung.com/ru/support.
How to connect a printer to a laptop?
Let’s consider all the actions in more detail.
How to install a printer on a laptop?
The printer is a popular peripheral device that has found wide application in offices, enterprises, government agencies and at home due to the ability to instantly print any documents. It is quite easy to use and does not require any special skills from the owner. However, sometimes the owners of office equipment have problems with setting it up.
Installing a wired printer begins by connecting it to a power source and to a laptop or computer. For THESE purposes, the device is supplied with two corresponding cables. Established a connection to the computer via a USB port, the printer should be turned on by pressing the power button on the case.
In most cases, Windows automatically detects a new device in the system and installs the necessary software to work with it. However, if this did not happen, the laptop or PC owner needs to follow these steps:
On Windows 10:
- Open the “Start” menu, go to “Settings” and select the “Devices” section.
- Named by the line “Printers and scanners”, click the “Add printer or scanner”.
- Wait for the computer to complete the search, and select the appropriate option from the proposed list. If the laptop cannot find the printing device, you must click “Update” or “The required printer is not in the list” and follow the further instructions of the system.
On Windows 7 and 8:
- Find the “Devices and Printers” section in the “Start” menu.
- Press the “Add Printer” button. Named the option “Add a local printer” in the opened manager.
- On the Select Printer Port page, click Use Existing and Recommended.
Manual installation of the printer on a laptop is carried out in three steps. It is necessary to connect office equipment to a power supply and to a PC. Then install the current version of the drivers from the disk or from the Internet on your computer. The final stage is setting up printing options for future documents. On Windows 10, wired and wireless printers are connected using the same aLGorithm. Slight differences are present in earlier versions of the operating system.
Connect a network printer using a computer
Sometimes, in order for two computers to work with the printer over the network at the same time, additional settings are required (if during the process of configuring the network printer an “Access All” error occurs).
You can pay 30-50% less for light, depending on what kind of electrical appliances you use.
Method number 1
Initially, you should find out the name of the computer (to which the printer is connected). To do this, you will need to name it with the right mouse button on the “My Computer” icon. In this menu, select the “Properties” mark and in it. the tab called “Computer name”. In Windows7 software, this tab will be the last in the list of “Properties”. You can also get to this menu in the second way. go to the control panel menu, find the “System” icon (“System Properties”).
Having learned the name of the computer we need, we can go to the second computer. In it, click on the “START execute” button, or you can SIMply open one of the folders. Next, in the line that appears at the top, the address (folder address) must be entered \\ computer name. Example: if the computer name is “printserver”, then “\\ printserver” must be entered into the line. After these manipulations, ENTER is pressed. Thus, we get to the remote computer and can see all the network resources available to it. This includes a printer, which can be installed by SIMply clicking on it.
If the device does not appear in the list of available network resources, then access must be opened for it. To do this, go to the computer to which the printer is connected. In it we go to “START”, then choosing the “Printers” tab and already in this window that appears, it is worth naming the right mouse button on the printer that we need. In this menu window, select “Properties”, then find the tab “Access”. In this tab, you must check the box next to the “Open public access” checkbox. Thus, this printer will appear in the list of network resources.
Method number 2
You need to go to the control panel and select the “devices and printers” folder from the offered menus. Then you should click “Add Printer” (or in other versions “Add Printer”). In the appeared window of the wizard for installing new devices, you need to click the “Next” button, then choosing “Connect to a printer” or “Browse printers on the network“, confirm your choice by clicking “Next”. A new window that appears will offer a list of devices on the network, where you will need to find the printer you need and confirm its selection by clicking the “Next” button. The process will be completed by the operating system without your further participation.
How to connect a printer using a network method
Situations often arise when the number of printers in the office or home is less than the number of computers on the network, and when printing documents, additional configuration of the printer is required so that it can print over the network.
An example of the most common situation. There is a printer to which one computer is connected, and printing is required from another over the network. In such cases, there are several options for connecting the printer to a second computer. The SIMplest ones are as follows:
Connect the printer to your computer
How to connect a printer to a computer
There are only two ways to connect the printer to the computer:
- Local: This method involves connecting the printer to a computer via Wi-Fi or USB. In this case, the connection takes place with the introduction of the driver included in the kit to the purchased printer. Also, the driver can be downloaded from the Internet. As a rule, connecting in this way eliminates any problems with the connected printer, in contrast to the second method.
- Network In this method, the printer can be connected to the computer locally and thanks to the shared access it also becomes possible to connect this printer to other computers on the local network or print server. It is very SIMple to make a network printer: just connect it to a computer or print server using Wi-Fi, USB or Lan and open access to all users of this network.
There are times (if computers are on a network with different versions of Windows) when during installation you may need a driver for the printer. Such a driver can be taken from a disk, which was supplied with the printer, or downloaded from the Internet. from the website of the manufacturer of this printer.
If the printer is connected to the network directly using its own network interface or through a print server, then such a device is easier to connect using the installation wizard, which is usually supplied with the printer (MFP) in the form of a CD.
If there is an opportunity to use such a disk, then you should use the second method. To do this, go to the “Add Printer Wizard” following the instructions of 2 ways. Here you should select the checkbox “Local printer” and then. “Create a new port”. In this menu, select “Standard TCP / IP Port”. The Add Printer Wizard appears on the screen. In the “Printer name / IP addresses” field, you must enter the printer’s IP addresses, which are specified in the instructions and settings of the printer itself. Having completed all the steps correctly, the process can be completed with a few clicks of the “Next” button in the windows that appear.
Some printing devices need additional settings, such as anticipating TCP / IP port settings.
In printers and the nature of the problem
Despite the fact that there are not so many publicly available types of printers, about five, the technologies by which they work are being improved by each company that produces them. Thus, it turns out that in fact, each model is more or less unique in terms of technology of work and production.
The idea of a wireless connection has long been pushed into this area of computer technology. Already five years ago, it was possible to purchase a multifunctional device (MFP) with support for Wi-Fi connections. It would seem worth adding a Wi-Fi module. But it’s not that SIMple. Even now, there are many different subtleties and ways to connect a wireless printer to a gadget or computer. In fact, each model can have different from its predecessor Not only settings, but the very principle of operation. Therefore, connecting a printer to a computer via Wi-Fi is not such an easy thing. But what can he say, there is a case when a newfangled device with Wi-Fi support could not be configured even in the native service center.
Since there is no universal method, at least a few of the most common ones should be described. But even this does NOT guarantee that they will be at least partially useful to everyone who purchased such a device. In any case, the three most common connection methods will be considered here, which can be conventionally designated as follows:
The easy way
This option is the most convenient and least expensive in terms of the number of actions and time. It does not require any additional steps. You just need to install the device in the desired place and turn it on. Of course, the gadget must be within the reach of the Wi-Fi coverage, through which information will be exchanged.
After the device is connected to the mains and turned on, you need to start the PC. Then we install the drivers from the accompanying disk device and reboot the system. After the operating system is fully loaded, where the Wi-Fi module will be automatically launched, go to the “Start” menu located in the lower left corner of the monitor screen, and in the right column of the window we find and click on the “Devices and Printers” position.
By clicking, a window will be launched, where all connected devices will be displayed, including the ones we need. It will NOT be difficult to find it, since its name will contain the mappings of the manufacturer and the model.
Just right-click on it to bring up the context menu, and select the second item from the top with the name “Use as default”.
If everything was done correctly, then the device icon will display a round green icon with a white check mark.
In principle, that’s it. the gadget is ready to use. But before printing any documents to the printer via Wi-Fi, it is recommended to print a test page.
In devices with this type of connection, there is one very significant drawback, namely, if you forget to turn off the device after use, then an unscrupulous neighbor or colleague can connect to it and send a couple of files that are not needed to anyone for printing. Therefore, it is advisable to turn off the device upon completion of work.
Connect the printer to a laptop via Wi-Fi
The last decade has passed under the umbrella of mobility, and therefore manufacturers have begun to slowly switch to wireless technology. Output tools are no exception, and today let’s look at how to connect a printer via Wi-Fi.
How to protect your Wi-Fi network:
I have over 10 years of experience in the IT field. I am engaged in design and adjustment of commissioning works. I also have extensive experience in building networks, system administration and working with access control and monitoring systems. I work as a specialist in the Techno-Master company.
In terms of execution, this method practically does NOT differ from the previous one, with the exception of some nuances. Immediately after installing the drivers and utilities from the printer, you will need to go into the settings of the device itself and select the network to which it will be connected.
This is done very SIMply. It just takes a little patience and care. In principle, everything will be approximately the same as when adding any other device to an existing Wi-Fi network.
First, we find the desired network, and then enter the encryption key. It seems like a trifle, but convenience grows at times. In fact, you succeeded in making the printer networked over Wi-Fi. And this allows almost any connection to this Wi-Fi access point to directly send files to print without the intervention of a personal computer or laptop.
In addition, devices coupled according to this scheme are completely devoid of the disadvantage of the previous method, and the level of ease of use becomes SIMply prohibitive.
The last option we are considering, how to connect a laptop to a printer via Wi-Fi, is the most difficult one from the previous two.
Such pairing schemes have their own nuances, which can play a role, or they can even be left out. The fact is that it may happen that the device will work from the start and you will NOT have to perform any special actions and manipulations. This course of events is possible only if the stock IP addresses of the device are within the same subnet with the used provider and the dedicated client.
SIMply put, this is unlikely, especially since most of them are currently used NOT static IP addresses, but dynamic.
For devices with a SIMilar connection scheme, you will need to add IP addresses to the PC settings, which the printer uses.
You will need to go to “Devices and Printers” again and click on the “Add Printer” button.
In the displayed window, two blocks will be presented, of which we need the lower one, which has the signature “Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer”.
The updated window will start automatic search. When the printer is found, it will be displayed in the main window.
Double-click on it, and a small window will appear here, where you will need to enter the IP address specified in the instructions for the purchased device. When we finish entering the data, a notification will appear about the successful connection of the device. After restarting your computer, you can start printing the necessary documents.
- Connect Wi-Fi on your Windows Vista laptop
- How ELM327 Bluetooth connects to a laptop
- How to connect Android to laptop via Wi-Fi and vice versa
- How to connect a Bluetooth wireless mouse to a laptop
I have an HP 2900 printer connected to a stationary computer, and the computer is connected to a Wi Fi router. I’m trying to connect this printer via this Wi-Fi according to the description of the 3rd method, but the laptop does not find any printer, although the stationary computer finds it right away. What is the reason, explain. Maybe I’m doing something wrong? I will be grateful and thanks in advance.
It did not help, the device cannot be found using the Network.
Connecting the Printer via Wi-Fi to Your Home Computer
The whole process is SIMilar to the description in the paragraph above. But it should be understood that low- and mid-budget computers, as well as solutions 10 years ago, will no longer have a Wi-Fi module. Laptops have it by default even in the cheapest models due to the peculiarities of their use.
If you want to get rid of the extra wire at the computer, you can purchase a module that connects via USB. With it, you can connect your PC to Wi-Fi, even if this is not provided from the factory. The speed may be slower than with a cable, but it is sufficient to connect to the printer. This option will cost 300-500 rubles or more.
In the case of mobile devices, you should first try to restart the printer, the device itself, the router.
If it doesn’t help, you need to check your network connection. To do this, you need to make sure that the smartphone or tablet from which the documents are sent for printing are connected to the same Wi-Fi network as the printer. The name is usually indicated under the wifa icon in the upper notification curtain, if you lower it down. If the problem is with the network, you need to get closer to the distribution point of the network. It is recommended to move Not only the smartphone, but also the printer.
The printing device may also NOT be connected to Wi-Fi. You can check this using the settings, if there is a screen. In its absence, the buttons for wireless communication and information (or the button for starting printing) are clamped. The printer will issue a report indicating the status of the network. To do this, you need a sheet of paper in the tray and paint.
First you need to check the methods given in the section for Android. If that doesn’t work, check if the AirPrint function is active:
- Find out the IP address of the printer. It is indicated in the device information on the screen or in the printed report (see section for android)
- Open Safari;
- In the search term, enter the IP address. Press the transition button;
- Find the “Network” button;
- Select AirPrint, click “Status”;
- In the drop-down window, click “OK”;
- A window will pop up notifying you that the connection is NOT private. Here you need to click on the information, where there will be a link “visit this site” (Visit this website in English)
- If AirPrint status appears as off, you need to turn it on.
In case of failure, you can try Wi-Fi Direct.
Connecting an HP printer to a laptop
First, it is worth considering the scheme for connecting to a laptop via Wi-Fi, since there are nuances with a personal computer.
- First you need to make sure your laptop is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as the printer.
- Install the driver from the official website of the company. To do this, you need to enter the name and model number. After that, the entire list of software for it will be shown.
- Open the downloaded software (the program will be installed along with the drivers).
- If necessary, enter a code or password from the printer.
This instruction will work for phones and tablets as well. Instead of the driver from the company’s website, you need to install the HP Smart software.
Printing takes longer on devices running a new operating system
- The first 2 points are SIMilar to the instructions for Apple technology.
- Open document for printing.
- Click on the time in the lower right corner.
- Select Wi-Fi.
- Connect to the printer you need by entering the password.
- In the settings menu, select “Options”.
- At the bottom, find the item for additional options.
- Find the “Print” section.
- In “Printers” click the button for adding a new device.
- Select yours and click “Add”.
- Go to the document you want to print.
- Click on the 3 vertical dots in the upper right corner.
- In the drop-down menu, click “Print”.
- Find the “Printer” field.
- Name “Change”.
- Choose your device.
- Select the desired settings.
- Click “Print”.
If there are any problems, you need to refer to the last section of the article with frequently asked questions.
Tried all methods, but still can’t connect: no connection. What to do?
In such a situation, it is necessary to look for the reason in the connection, the computer itself or smartphone, router. First, it is worth checking everything the same, but with a different router, and if it does not help, then with a computer, so that either immediately remove suspicions, or identify a problem in one of the listed devices. It also makes sense to reconnect the printer, that is, repeat the entire procedure from the beginning, turning off the power for a while before.
If you have a router that works at 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz, you need to make sure that the last frequency is active, since all printers with Wi-Fi can work on it.
Windows 7 computers
- The first 2 points are SIMilar to the previous instructions.
- Click the wireless icon in the lower right corner.
- Choose your printer.
After that, you can open the required document and start printing.
Windows 8.1 or higher computer
This instruction is relevant for computers running Windows 8.1 or higher. The places of action are different, but the general aLGorithm is the same.
- Find a list of printers. On the 10th version of the system in the “Start” you need to find the settings, go to the “Devices” section, and then. “Printers and scanners”. You can immediately enter the name of the last item in the search bar and go to it directly. For Windows 8, you need to find “Devices” among the “charms”.
- Select “Add Printer or Scanner”.
- Click Show Wi-Fi Direct Printers.
- Find but do not select your printer in the format: DIRECT-printer name.
- Turn on printer / wake up from sleep mode.
- Now you can click “Add device” on your PC.
- If the system prompts for a password, it will be displayed on the printer screen. It must be entered within 1.5 minutes.
Now you can start typing.
IOS devices, Mac computers
The process is SIMilar to that for android, but has its own characteristics:
- First, you need to open the page in the browser that you want to print;
- Determine the name of the printer SIMilarly to point 1 of the instructions for android;
- Go to Wi-Fi settings on your mobile device or computer;
- Find the desired printer, connect, enter the password.
You can start printing.
Wi-Fi Direct. if there is no way to connect to a local network
This technology will help if, apart from the general Wi-Fi network, there is nothing else. This could be a cafe, hostel, or library. The connection method is different for each individual device.
Classic PowerShell Application
This method is to use the Advanced command line alternative to the Windows PowerShell desktop application. Connecting network printing equipment in this way is carried out by entering Special commands, but first you need to start the console itself. This can be done through the “Start” menu by entering the appropriate name in the search.
In the console you will need to enter Add-Printer.Connectionname “\\ Computer_Name \ Full_Printer_Name” to add a printer by the host PC name. After specifying the command, press the Enter key to activate it.
If you are interested in connecting the machine via the PC’s IP address, the command will take on a slightly different form: Add-Printer.Connectionname “\\ 192.168.1.8 \ Full_Printer_Name”. Where 192.168.1.8 is the desired local IP address.
Connecting a network printer in Windows 10
Now in almost every home there are several computers connected to the same Internet network, not to mention different offices, where there can be countless connected devices. In addition, many people want to use printing equipment, but connecting it constantly to different PCs is completely inconvenient. In this case, the built-in function of the Windows 10 operating system comes to the rescue, which allows you to share the printer and start printing from any local machine.
First of all, you will need to perform a few SIMple actions so that you do NOT have to be distracted by them in the future. We have highlighted all the points that should be considered:
Find out the name or IP address of the PC to which the desired printer is connected. This information will be required when adding it through system tools. Read more about this in our separate article at the following link.
Providing general access within the local network to ensure the normal interaction of equipment, all files and folders.
Find out the exact name of the printer, for this you need to find it on your computer and remember or copy the name you see.
Only after completing all THESE steps can you proceed to adding a network printer. We have highlighted all the available methods for performing this operation, but first of all I would like to dwell on the recommended.
Connect a network printer in Windows 10
To complete the task, you need to observe only two main conditions. the printer must be connected to one of the computers and be in working order (print pages without problems), and all PCs must be on the same local network. After you are convinced of the implementation of THESE points, you can proceed with the preparatory work and the direct connection of network equipment.
The “Settings” menu appeared in Windows 10 and is intended to completely replace the “Control Panel” in the future. Now, through it, you can already quite SIMply perform various actions with peripheral equipment, including printers. A network device is connected through this menu in just a few clicks:
- Open the Start menu and go to Settings.
Select the “Devices” section.
Open the Printers Scanners category in the sidebar.
Here Click on “Add Printer or Scanner”.
Click on “The printer you want is not listed” when it appears.
Use a marker to mark “Select a shared printer by name”. Fill in the addresses in the format \\ Computer name or IP address \ full printer name and click on “Next”.
You can also name it “Browse”, which will open Explorer, where in the “Network” section will display a list of available shared printers to select.
Wait for the connection of the selected device to be completed. When a notification appears about the need to install drivers Confirm it, all other actions will be performed automatically.
At the end of the installation, a new window will open with recommendations for using the default printer and a proposal to launch a test page to check the operation.
After completing this instruction, the printer will print over the network without any problems and will be displayed when selecting equipment for printing. Do not forget just to turn it on in the main unit and check the presence of paper in the tray so as not to receive errors when sending.
As mentioned earlier, the “Control Panel” is gradually losing its position, because the new “Options” menu is much more convenient and functional. However, there are still users who need to complete the task under consideration today precisely through this classic application, and this is done like this:
Launch the “Control Panel” in any convenient way and go there to the “Devices and Printers” section.
On the top panel Click on “Add Printer”.
Click on the link “The printer that I want is not listed”.
All other actions are performed exactly as shown in method 1.
You were familiar with three different options for connecting a shared printer in the Windows 10 operating system. Usually everything goes well, but sometimes users encounter problems. The most common are a disabled print service or a “Local printing subsystem is not running” error. You can get acquainted with the solution of these difficulties in our separate article below.