5 ways how to recover a dried ink cartridge HP, Canon, Lexmark?
The inkjet cartridge can dry out due to long periods of inactivity or as a result of untimely refills. Manufacturers of inkjet printers strongly object to any manipulation of cartridges (except for their complete replacement), but in most cases this costly procedure can be avoided.
If this procedure did not help the first time, then you can repeat it or try another recovery method.
The recovery process is the same for black and color cartridges with built-in printheads, but it is easier to recover a black cartridge than a color one, because it has one color, then the chances of getting a positive result are greater.
If the cartridge with a sponge inside dries, try to soak the sponge. To do this, put the cartridge in a vessel filled with distilled water or flushing liquid with the nozzles down (in the same position as it is installed in the printer). Soaking can take quite a long time (from several hours to several days.) It is important to pour a little water so that only the nozzles are immersed in it (to a height of about 1 cm). Then ink is poured into the cartridge. It will NOT hurt to pump ink through the suction cup with a syringe, but do not use too much force. Pull the syringe slowly, without sudden jerks, and when the ink begins to come out evenly and in large quantities (no more than 10 ml), it is better to stop the procedure. Before inserting the cartridge into the printer, wipe off any remaining ink and pay particular attention to the electronics contacts. Do 2-3 head cleaning, print a test page.
Or: pour the napkin abundantly with the composition and put the cartridge on the napkin with nozzles and let it stand for 1-3 days if it is very dry. Then purge with a syringe with a rubber adapter in both directions; blow directly into the nozzles (the main thing. DO NOT overdo it with the purge). HP, Lexmark, Canon and the like are quite successfully restored in this way.
Boiling or “the principle of cooking pasta
- Small iron bowl or ladle
- Pliers and pliers
- Napkin or toilet paper
- When you turn on the printer, open the lid, wait. And the cartridges move themselves to the replacement position. It is enough to lightly press down on its box and it will come out easily. We take out the cartridge
- Now it is necessary to heat a small amount of water on the stove in an iron bowl or ladle so that the water boils and steam starts to flow. We take the cartridge and hold the printheads over the evaporation, you can rinse for 2-3 minutes, the cartridge with the printing elements is lowered into boiling water. Be careful as the cartridge will heat up, so it is better to hold it with pliers. Do NOT squeeze in any way to avoid damaging.
- The dried paint in the head should get wet and start dripping, wipe off all excess with napkins until all the colors break through. This can take quite a long period of time, depending on the degree of neglect of the printing nozzles.
- If the ink cartridge has been in use for a long time, you will have to rinse the inside out. Carefully open the cover. In older models, there is a special metal device for this. You should NOT be afraid of a small crunch, you can’t do without it. On new printers, the cover is sealed with adhesive tape, first you need to get rid of it, and then carefully open it with a screwdriver. The main thing is not to allow cracking of the walls, this can render the container unusable. We take out the absorbent inserts and rinse them with warm water, be sure to remember where each of them was.
Steam steaming. Hot running water
Sometimes it happens that the cartridge head becomes clogged or dries up. In Trying to Clean the Head, you have tried many ways to clean the print cartridges, but none of them helped you. I found another way to clean (restore) the ill-fated cartridge. To do this, you do not need to buy anything extra, such as “Liquid for cleaning cartridges“, “Special devices”, etc. To do this, take the cartridge and put it upside down in the bath, head up. Then turn on hot water, with a small stream of water. This trickle must accurately hit the nozzle head. Thus, the cartridge should stand for a couple of minutes. The cartridge needs to be moved a little so that the falling jet of water falls on all nozzles. The meaning of this method of cleaning printing elements is as follows. Water, falling from a height of about a meter, picks up speed and forcefully passes through the nozzles (holes, through which ink splashes onto the paper during printing) and cleans them. Also, the jet breaks through the dried channels, which you did not succumb to before. After this procedure, close the tap, take the cartridge and put it head down on a cloth, let it dry. Wipe it clean and put it back in the printer. Print a test page. If the first time is unlucky, then repeat the procedure several times.
If these methods did not help you, see more material on cartridge recovery below.
Adding a Printer in Windows
The printer will only appear in the device list when it has been added by performing certain manipulations. Equipment is not always recognized independently, so users have to perform all actions manually. In this article, we will look at several working ways to add a printing device to the list of printers.
Add a printer to Windows
The first step is to carry out the connection process. As you know, this is done quite easily. You need to prepare the cables, then connect everything you need, start the devices and wait until the new peripherals are detected. You will find a detailed guide on this topic in our other material at the link below.
Connecting via a Wi-Fi router is a little more complicated, so we recommend Pay attention to the instructions that are in the material at the following link. Thanks to them, you can do everything right.
Now let’s move on to reviewing the available methods for adding printed peripherals.
The first thing to do is find and install drivers. Most likely, after their successful installation, you will NOT have to do anything else, since the operating system will carry out the rest of the processes automatically. There are five different options for finding and downloading software. You can familiarize yourself with all of them in the article below.
If you need to install a new version of the driver due to the incorrect functioning of the previous one, you must first get rid of the old files. Therefore, do this first, and then proceed to work with the new software version.
Windows built-in tool
The Windows operating system has several built-in tools that allow you to work with printing equipment. The process of installing a printer through the standard feature was considered in the article on installing drivers, the link to which is indicated in the first method. However, sometimes this function is Not suitable and the printer is not installed. Then you need to use the “Add a device” tool. Through the “Control Panel” go to the “Devices and Printers” section, there click on the corresponding button and follow the instructions displayed on the screen.
Adding network printers
There are users in a home or corporate workgroup to which several computers are connected. They can not only interact with each other, but also remotely control a peripheral device, in our case it is a printer. To add such equipment to the list, you will need to enable sharing. Read about how to do this in the following article.
If you have any difficulties and problems with this process, please use the support guide at the link below.
Now on your computer you can easily find and add the required device. Let’s analyze this procedure using the example of the Microsoft Word program:
Click on the button “Find a printer“.
Give it a name, location, and where to look. When the scan is complete, simply select the appropriate option, after which it will be added to the list.
Sometimes directory searches are interrupted by an Active Directory unavailable alert. The error is solved by Several methods, each of which will be useful in certain situations. All of them are discussed in a separate article on our website.
Solving Printer Display Problems
If the above methods did not bring any results and the device is still NOT visible in the list of printers, we can advise two working options for correcting possible problems. You should open the article at the link below, which looks at Method 3 and They provide detailed instructions for working with the “Troubleshoot” feature, and also show how to start the “Print Manager” service.
Sometimes it happens that in the “Devices and Printers” window, no hardware is displayed at all. Then we recommend cleaning and restoring the registry. It is possible that accumulated temporary files or the resulting damage interferes with the functioning of certain services. For detailed guides on this topic, see below.
In addition, manual repair of registry corruption is available, but it is only suitable for printers. This is done as follows:
Start Run, hold down the Win R hotkey. Type regedit in the line and press Enter.
Go to the following path:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ ControlPanel \ NameSpace
In the NameSpace folder, on any empty space, right-click and create a new section.
Give it a name:
It will contain only one “Default” parameter. Right-click on it and select “Change”.
Assign the value “Printers” and click “OK”.
It remains only to restart the computer, after which a new section with the name “Printers” will be created in the “Control Panel”, in which all the necessary devices should be displayed. There you can update drivers, configure and remove hardware.
It is not difficult to add a printer to the list of devices, but sometimes certain difficulties arise. We hope our article helped to figure everything out, you didn’t have any errors and you quickly coped with the task.
How to add a printer to windows 10
Microsoft has tried to simplify the process of adding a printer to Windows 10. Now that the process is automated, the connection shouldn’t be a problem. Most printing devices are connected to a PC via a USB port and often work as soon as you plug them in (and many work wirelessly!). The new printing device can also be treated with the driver disk.
For the user, the connection should go quickly. The streamlined process mainly relies on automatic detection and identification. When everything is working correctly, the installation will only take a minute or two.
- Log in to your Windows computer with an administrator account.
- Connect printing device to PC.
- Click the Start button on your desktop.
- Select “Options” and open “Devices”.
- Make sure the category “Printers & Scanners” is selected.
- In the right pane, click “Add Printer or Scanner”.
Wait while the operating system searches for a connected printing device. When Windows finds it, you can click its name and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation process.
If the operating system cannot detect the connected printing device
- Click “The printer that I want isn’t listed”.
- Click the “Add a local or network printer with manual settings” button using the manual switch.
- Click “Next” to continue.
- In the “Select a port” window, leave the default settings and click “Next”.
Note: if you are an advanced user, you can also choose another option from the “Use an existing port” drop-down list.
- In the “Driver Installation” window from the displayed list of manufacturers on the left side, click to select the one to which the connected printer belongs.
- On the right side, select the specific model of the printing device connected to the PC.
Note. At this point, you can also click the Have Disk button and find the driver you need. Click “Next” to go to the next step.
- In the “Enter a name” field, enter an informational name for the printer and click “Next”.
- In the Sharing window, make sure Sharing is selected so others on your network can find and use it.
- If you do NOT want to share the printing device with your network users, you can select the Corresponding option.
- In the Share Name field, enter a short name.
Note. The name you enter here will be displayed to remote users when they search for this printer on the network.
If you wish, you can fill in the “Location and Comment” fields. Click “Next” to continue.
- On the last page of the wizard, click the “Print a test page” button to verify that the connection is correct and that it functions correctly.
- Click “Finish” to complete the process.
How to force install a driver on Windows?
It is not such a common situation, but when servicing a large fleet of user computers, it sometimes happens that for a certain device the manufacturer has NOT released drivers for the required OS version. It can be an old OS version, or an old device. Generally. Sometimes you need to install drivers manually. They are usually delivered in the form of several files. Most often they have the inf or sys extension, but they can be others.
The procedure for installing the driver in Windows 10 depends on how you install it. Each method has its own pros and cons. The main plus is that any user, from a beginner to a wizard, can choose the most convenient one for himself, avoiding system errors and program crashes in the future. We will consider each method in detail separately. Remember that the most important thing is to use drivers from reliable sources so as not to damage the operating system and accidentally run a virus, the elimination of which will take much more time and effort than installing any driver.
What you need to install the driver. Manual installation. instructions
Installing the driver manually using the device manager
Open the Windows 10 control panel, simultaneously pressed the Win X key (Windows key and X key) and left-click on the “Control Panel” item
For convenience, it is advisable to customize small icons.
Click on “Device Manager”.
In the Device Manager window, expand categories and find the device you need. Then Right click on the device name and select “Update Driver Software”. The photo shows an example of installing the driver for the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller network adapter.
Installing the Driver Manually Using Driver Easy
In the main window of Driver Easy, click on the driver of the device that needs updating. After that, you will see the standard Task Manager window, in which it was written above. Select a device to update.
In the pop-up window, you will see two options. Click Browse My Computer to install the driver software.
Click Browse to find the downloaded driver file.
Click the Down Triangle button in Driver Easy, then select Open File Location to open the driver folder.
For convenience, you can copy and paste the location of the downloaded files into the box.
Click the “Next” button to install the driver.
As you already understood, updating takes a lot of time and requires basic knowledge of working with a personal computer. In addition to manual updates, Driver Easy can automatically find, download, and install any drivers that require an update. But, as we already said, this is unsafe, since this function works in automatic mode, and in this case it is impossible to make a backup in case of a serious failure.
Installing the driver from CD or DVD
Almost all computer and hardware manufacturers provide a set of drivers for different hardware devices. For example, the driver CD that comes with your printer contains drivers for many different printers, not just the one you purchased. When installing drivers, make sure you are installing drivers for your printer model and not another. Also, make sure you install it for the version of Windows that is installed on your computer. The process of installing the driver from the CD is NOT different from the standard installation process of any other program. Be sure to follow all instructions in the installer the first time you start it. In some cases, you need to uninstall the old driver before installing the new one.
Installing Drivers from a USB Drive
After copying the drivers to a USB stick, you can install the required software on your computer. Make sure the drive is connected to your computer, open Windows Explorer and look for your device name. For example, if you have a USB drive that is assigned drive E: when connected, then you need to name the icon with the name E: in order to open the contents.
Once the drivers are found on the disk, you must determine exactly how they will be installed on your computer. If the directory contains executable files or an installation file (exe extension), then you can install the driver using this file. If the drivers are compressed into a ZIP file, you need to unpack the file using archivers such as 7-Zip and WinZip.
Installing an inf file
If the above recommendations did not help you, then all instructions for installing drivers and hardware devices are always contained in a file with the.Inf extension, which is located in the C: Windowsinf folder. The Readme folder is protected and hidden. To make it visible, in the folder view settings, check the “Hidden items” box. To find the detail file of the device you need, please follow the instructions below:
Open the device manager;
Right click on the selected device and select Properties from the menu
Then go to the Details tab. Expand the list and select INF Name. The file name will be displayed in the “Value” field.
After you know the file name, go back to the Task Manager, select the device, click “Update driver” and specify the path to the inf file (in this example, it will be C: Windowsinfoem3.Inf)
IT specialist with a higher technical education and 8 years of experience in system administration. details about the author and contacts. I give free consultations on information technology, operation of computers and other devices, programs, services and sites on the Internet. If you have NOT found the information you need, then ask your question!
Step-by-step instructions for installing HP, Canon ink cartridges
- Turn on the printer and load paper;
- Open the cartridge access door. the carriage will move to the center of the device;
- If necessary, remove the old cartridge, lightly pressed it with your finger;
- Remove the new cassette from the original packaging;
- Remove the protective tape carefully. Do not touch the electrical contacts and ink nozzles, which may cause clogging, ink supply failure, poor electrical contact;
- Insert the loaded cassette into the desired slot, holding the edges with the nozzles down. A light click will indicate that the holder has secured the device;
- Close the printer cover;
- Perform a check print of several pages.
Step-by-step instructions for installing toner cartridges (TC)
- Turn on the printer and open the front cover;
- Pull out the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly. It is recommended to place them on a paper sheet in case of toner spills;
- Press the green lever and pull the TC out of the drum unit;
- Place used cassette in a tight bag and discard. It is strictly prohibited to burn the device. it is explosive;
- Release the new TC from the packaging;
- Shake the product several times, keeping it horizontal. This is to distribute the toner evenly inside the device;
- Insert the toner cartridge into the drum unit immediately after removing the protective cap. To do this, pull in the direction indicated by the arrows;
- Make a test print of several sheets.
Note: The toner cartridge should be unpacked immediately prior to installation in the printing device. Prolonged exposure to sunlight or artificial light may damage the drum unit and weaken the toner properties.