Using the standard Fax and Scan utility
Any Windows operating system has a standard “Fax and Scan” program. You can use it for scanning. You can find faxes and scanning through the start by going to the “Standard” section.
After opening, select “New Scan”, in the window that opens, select the added DCP-L2540DNR MFP.
Brother DCP-L2540DNR software scan setup
Recently, the Brother company has begun to produce fairly high-quality office equipment. First of all, I would like to mention the DCP-L2540DNR MFP. Very reliable and easy to use machine. If you are looking for an inexpensive MFP, then be sure to pay attention to it. Today I want to talk about how to set up scanning using different programs.
Several articles on this MFP have already been written on the site. From which you will learn how you can flash this MFP, configure counters, sleep mode and auto power off.
Fax and Scan has very limited functionality. Therefore, for your convenience, you can download and install FineReader.
In order for FineReader to see the scanner, you need to make a small setting. After starting the program, go to the “Service” section and select the “Settings” menu item.
In the window that opens, go to the “Scan / Open” tab. At the very bottom in the “Scanner” section, select the DCP-L2540DNR MFP.
FineReader has two scanning interfaces. Very often the FineReader interface does not work. Therefore, it is better to immediately select the scanner interface.
FineReader is a very high-quality product for scanning and recognition of text, but there is one drawback, this program is paid. And if you do not want to hang up a pirate flag, then you can use the following program.
How to scan on a computer
The first thing to do is to connect this MFP over the network, to facilitate its installation and configuration, and also all users on the network can use it.
And so we connect the twisted pair to it, then on the computer in the control panel, open “Devices and Printers” and click “Add Printer”. The system will search for available network devices, select the MFP and click “Next”. Then the installation of the MFP will take place.
Using the NAPS2 program
Absolutely free program with great functionality. Personally, I recommend using it all.
And so we launch the program and create a scan profile. To do this, click on “Profiles” and select “New”. In the window that opens, select “WIA Driver” in the device field, select the DCP-L2540DNR MFP and save the settings.
It remains only to check by clicking the “Scan” button.
It’s that easy to set up your Brother DCP-L2540DNR MFP scanner using various programs. In principle, almost any scanner can be configured by analogy.
How to scan from printer to computer?
Let’s look at several ways to scan a document from a printer to a PC. After all the preparatory steps are completed, you need to turn to the built-in capabilities of your operating system or special programs.
Through the scanner wizard
The most common method of digitizing a “live” document is interaction with the wizard for working with a scanner, where to achieve the result, you must adhere to the following aLGorithm:
- Turn on your scanner and make sure it is active. Check the glass panel under the lid for dust, debris, streaks, etc.
- Take the document or photograph that you want to “transfer” to the computer, place the object face down on the glass. Lower the lid.
- Click on the “Start” button of your computer, find the tab “Control Panel”.
- In some operating systems, after opening the control panel, it may be necessary to click on the “Sound and Hardware” section, and only after that it will be possible to find the “Devices and Printers” we need.
- A window will unfold in front of you, displaying the devices connected to the PC. Find the printer by name and right-click on its image.
- Activate the command “Start Scanning”, you will see the parameters that can be configured according to individual preferences, and then. preview how the document will look in the scan. Most often you need to change the resolution and brightness of the image.
- Everything is fine? Click “Scan” and wait for your file to appear on the computer monitor. Further it will only be necessary to keep it.
How to scan documents to a computer from a printer?
At least once in a lifetime, almost every person is faced with the need to update a flash player on a computer or “translate” a document or photo into electronic form. At the same time, not everyone has sufficient skills to cope with the task without outside help. Today we will look at how to scan a document to a computer using a printer. the instructions presented will allow you to perform the action as quickly as possible and without additional difficulties, even if the manipulation is performed by an inexperienced PC owner.
Features of Scanning in Paint
In addition to the applications we have considered, there is another simple scanning method. through the standard Paint program. You need:
- Launch the application by finding it through the “Start” button.
- Scan preparation starts on the computer monitor, where you need to select the file type and adjust the image resolution / brightness.
- After the scan is started, the picture or scan of the document you need will appear on the screen, all that remains is to save the file in the required graphic format.
The advantage of this program over third-party applications is that the user does not need to download and install additional products. just enable the “native” option and perform simple manipulations.
Before proceeding with the direct scanning of documents, it is necessary to carry out preparatory actions. this will help to avoid difficulties and errors on the part of technology.
So, before trying to scan a document, it is important to:
Helpful: Pay attention to the individual characteristics of your scanner. there should be a symbol next to the glass surface that tells you how to place the document so that the image is not scanned upside down. Otherwise, you will have to figure out how to flip the screen on a computer, or get acquainted with all kinds of editor applications that allow you to manipulate graphic files.
Using third-party applications
In addition to the standard features of the computer operating system, scanner users often use third-party applications. The most popular ones are:
- ScanLite. As with any program, after installing the scanner, a corresponding shortcut appears on the desktop or in the control panel. The convenience of this development lies in a simple interface and the need to perform a minimum list of manipulations. the user only needs to enter the file name, specify the path to save the document, and then start the scanning process with the appropriate button.
- ABBYY FineReader. Not only scans, but also recognizes text, in addition, it allows you to translate the document into an editable format. Minus. the program is paid, but you can use it in test mode.
- RiDoc. A popular program for users who need to be able to scan documents in different formats. as a rule, it is not necessary for random scanning.
- WinScan2PDF. The product is designed for the Windows operating system, is easy to use, but allows you to save the file only in PDF format. You can download and install absolutely free.
- Xerox Easy Printer Manager. a manager created specifically for working with printers / scanners “Xerox”. This application is distinguished not only by a convenient and intuitive interface, but also by a large number of possibilities.
In addition to the usual digitization, Xerox Easy Printer Manager is a program for improving the quality of a photo or any other image. Let’s take a closer look at the scanning process, assuming that the application is already installed on your PC:
- Click “Start” in the lower left corner of the screen. Select the All Programs tab, then the Xerox Printers folder, then Xerox Easy Printer Manager.
- The program window will open in front of you, in which you need to find the “Switch to advanced mode” tab.
- The next necessary active link at the top of the window is “Scan to PC settings”, where you can set the operation parameters of interest to the user (saving path, resolution, color, etc.).
- Is it done? Switch to the main mode and click on the “Scanning” button. a window with the program’s capabilities will open, all that remains is to start the process you are interested in and save the result.
Following these step-by-step instructions, anyone can scan a document or photo, even if they have never used the program before.
After examining the above information with step-by-step instructions, we can conclude that scanning a document to a computer is as simple a task as photocopying, recovering data from a flash drive, etc. The main thing is to find the appropriate instruction and strictly follow it. If the need to scan documents to a computer rarely occurs, and the files themselves are used only for the purpose of storing and transferring information, the built-in capabilities of the operating system are enough. If the user needs to edit scanned files, including their quality and format, it makes sense to install a third-party application that greatly simplifies manipulation due to its wide functionality.
The utilities below are practically indistinguishable from the official software. The only difference is in some programs that are designed to make scans in a specific format, for example, in PDF.
- FineReader. The software is paid, but there is a trial “free” version and an online tool. Available to work with many languages. In addition to simple scanning, it can recognize scanned text and convert the document into a format for further editing.
- WinScan2PDF. The free program has a narrow focus. scan to PDF. Most often used when working on the network.
- RiDoc. It is useful for those who often need to receive scanned documents in a variety of formats. If there is no such need, then it is easier to use a standard tool or other simpler analogs.
- VueScan. In terms of functionality, it is similar to all previous programs. There is a built-in image-to-text converter.
- CuneiForm. Recognizes text and tables from scans, has a wide range of settings for adjusting the final quality of the scan. Downloaded from the Internet for free.
- ScanLine. Small and easy-to-use utility. Contains a minimum of settings, you can get a scan in just a couple of clicks.
Scanning software from manufacturers
To ensure easy work with equipment, manufacturing companies develop special software. All possible functions are available in the software interface for controlling a specific model of the device.
Features may vary slightly depending on brand. But the basic set of settings / parameters is almost always identical. You can set the scan resolution, choose color (b / w or color scan), format (png, jpeg, jpg, pdf and others).
- HP Scan;
- Epson Scan;
- Xerox Easy Printer Manager;
- Canon MF ToolBox.
There is also software for Kyocera and Samsung firms, you can download from the official sites or install from the bundled CD.
We scan the passport
- Take off the cover, take out all the excess from the passport.
- Place the document on the glass and press down firmly with the lid. Make sure the edges of the document are not wrinkled.
- In the scan settings, select the format for the best quality (bmp or tiff). Set the resolution to the maximum available.
How to make a scan on a printer
Let’s take a look at the process of creating a scan on an HP Deskjet 2130 MFP printer. The model is very old, but the principle of scanning will be similar to other printers. You just need to turn on the printer, put the media under the cover, start scanning to PC in any convenient way.
- Turn on the device, wait for it to start. The device should make some noise for a few seconds and stop making sounds. Then you can scan.
- Raise the printer cover. Place a piece of paper (or other object) according to the icon. The guide shows how to position the paper correctly so that the finished scanned document is in the correct position and not upside down.
- Go to Devices and Printers. Press the key combination “WinR”, then execute the command “Control printers”.
The driver for the HP 2130 printer includes a program, inside which there is also a scanning option, for which a separate item is responsible. The software is installed by default along with the “Drov” installation.
Launch the program and after opening the Print & Scan menu select Scan. The HP Scan Utility starts.
Select the desired scan option. Set the appropriate parameters for the document and click on “Scan”.
The printer scans the media and prompts you to save the document to any location, pre-setting the desired file name.
You can open the scan with any graphics editor, but the easiest way is to use the standard “Image Viewer”.
Preparing to scan
To avoid damage to equipment, it is important to adhere to the correct procedure when working with connection cords. First, connect the USB cable to the printer, then to a stationary computer or laptop. Then plug the power cord into a power outlet. Only then can you press the power button located on the body.
In most cases, after connecting the printer to a computer via a USB cable or air connection (Wi-Fi), Windows will automatically detect the device, search for and install drivers. After the installation is complete, the device will appear in the list of all equipment in the “Devices and Printers” item. The printer icon should not be “light” and contain any icons (for example, exclamation marks) next to it.
If the lights on the printer body are blinking, which indicate that there is no ink in the cartridges, the scan will still be able to be done, since ink is not used in this case. Only the scanner is started up. There are often times when the printer is no longer used due to the high cost of purchasing new cartridges. It is not necessary to throw away the equipment, because you will always be able to use the scanner.
The situation is different with the installation, when nothing is automatically executed. Then you need to use the disc, which often comes with the equipment, and contains the driver necessary for the operation of all components of the device.
Insert the disc into the drive. If the installation does not start automatically or the menu does not open, then through “My Computer” open the disc in Explorer and run the installation file. Next, step by step, agreeing with the installation wizard, finish copying the driver files. After that, additional shortcuts may appear on the desktop to launch the software, in which you can perform various actions, for example:
- view the level of ink in containers;
- do cleaning of printer units;
- start scanning;
- align printheads and a number of other functions that are different for each printer model.
In order for the technique to serve for a long time, and there were no traces of dust or dirt on the scan, you need to gently wipe the glass surface with a dry cloth or paper towel, napkin.
Scanning with Paint
Start the graphics editor Paint. You can open the program by using the search in Windows 8-10. On Windows XP, open the Start menu, find the “Accessories” folder, inside which there will be Paint.
Next, open the main editor menu and select “From Scanner or Camera”.
A scanning window will open, where you can select the color of the picture, perform a preview, immediately scan and even adjust the quality (resolution, brightness and contrast).
Press “Scan”, you are waiting for the operation to complete. A digitized image will appear in the editor’s working area.
Saving the file is done in the main menu through the “Save As” item, where several formats are offered to choose from (bmp, png, jpeg, gif and others).
This option allows you to scan to your computer from the printer as quickly as possible. If necessary, you can immediately format the scan using Paint, which are offered on the top panel of the editor.
Photocopy without photocopier
In the absence of an MFP, but having two separate devices for printing and scanning, you can easily make a copy of your passport.
- First digitize your passport to your computer.
- Next, print a scan of the passport on a printing device.
The result will be no different if standard photocopying was done.
What can be scanned
You can scan any media that does not interfere with the closing of the top cover. Of course, ordinary sheets of paper are always scanned, and you can digitize small paper carriers (brochures, money, passport, photographs and others), plastic elements, books.
How to scan to a computer from an HP printer?
On your computer, press the Windows button, and then enter your HP printer model. Select your printer from the list of results. Click the Print & Scan or Print & Scan & Fax tab, depending on your printer model. Select “Scan”, then click “Scan a document or photo”.
How to set up scanning to one file?
Scan multiple pages as one file
- Press [Original Feed Type].
- Select [Batch] or [SADF].
- Click [OK].
- Set originals.
- Make settings for sending or saving.
- Press the [Start] key to scan the originals.
- After scanning all originals, press the  key.
How to set up an HP scanner?
Download the driver from the HP website to configure the scanner for a Windows computer.
- Turn on the scanner.
- If the scanner is connected to the computer using a USB cable, disconnect the cable from the scanner.
- Go to HP Customer Support. Software and Driver Downloads.
How to scan a document with a Canon printer?
There are various ways how to scan a photo to a computer through a Canon printer: Go to Control Panel Hardware and Sound Devices and Printers. Click on the printer icon with the right mouse button and select “Start Scanning”.
How to install network scanner on Windows 10?
- Open the “Network” folder.
- Right click your scanner and click Install.
- Follow the instructions to complete the add scanner operation.
How to scan a document from a printer to a computer?
How to scan from printer to computer
- open the “Start” menu;
- go to the “Control Panel”;
- go to the “Hardware, Sound” / or “Devices and Printers” tab for Windows 7 and then “Printers”;
- select the line “Start scanning”.
Make sure your Brother machine is turned on correctly
You must first check the power supply to your Brother machine. If there is no power on the LCD of your Brother printer, it means that the printer is in sleep mode or has a problem with the power supply. Press the button on the printer to check if it wakes up from sleep mode.
Turn it off, unplug the power cord and check if everything is okay with it or not. Then turn on the machine again. You should also check the LCD for error messages such as paper jams or empty ink / toner. If you notice any problem here, please troubleshoot and fix it.
Check your Brother machine for printing
Make sure your Brother printer is printable. This may be the reason your Brother printer will not scan to your computer. You will find the printer’s guide in the printer properties. To find out the printer Properties setting, follow these steps.
- Click on the Start icon and select Control Panel option.
- Now we are looking for Devices and Printer option, where you can see the name of your printer.
- Right click on your printer and select Printer Properties option.
- Click on Print test page to check if your printer is available for printing.
Check the IP address of the Brother scanner or set the IP address
Your Brother Printer will not scan to your computer if the IP address of your scanner is poorly configured. You can get the IP address of the device by printing out the Network Configuration List. You can print a network configuration page by following these steps:
- press the Menu button on your Brother printer.
- Now click the up or down arrow to navigate to the Print Report option and click Ok or Install.
- Press the up or down navigation key again until the Network Configuration option appears. Then click Ok or Install.
- Click Black (Mono) Start or Color Start to print a configuration page and you will see the current configuration of your Brother machine.
- To end this process, press Stop / Exit.
Now set the IP address on your Brother machine. Follow these steps to do this:
- Click on the Start icon and open the Control Panel app.
- Now select the Devices and Printer option under the Hardware and Sound tab.
- select your scanner from the list and click on the properties button.
- If a User Account Control screen appears, click on Continue or yes if you have administrator rights. If you do not have administrator rights, then enter the administrator password and click on Ok or yes button.
- Now click on the Network Settings tab.
- Select Indicate your car by address option.
- Now enter the IP address you have from the printed current network configuration page.
- After carefully following all these steps, click on Ok.
Check the firewall settings on your computer
If a firewall is active on your computer, it may reject the required network connection for the network scanning software and, as a result, your Brother Printer will not scan to your computer. You should temporarily disable your firewall and try network scanning again.
To turn off the firewall on your computer, follow these steps:
- Now click on Windows Defender Firewall option.
- There is an option called Communication and Data Transfer Center. Click here.
- Now check your network location in the View your active networks section.
- Go back to Control Panel and click on Windows Firewall again.
- Select Turn Windows Firewall on or off option.
- Click on Disable Windows Firewall and select Ok.
If the problem still continues, there is another way for you.
- Open Control Panel and select System and Security option.
- Click on Windows Firewall.
- Click on Change Settings.
- Check File and Printer Sharing for your network location and click on the Ok button.
Now try scanning again to see if the error is resolved.
Uninstall and reinstall Brother drivers
Sometimes there may be problems with the scanner driver and the Brother printer will not scan to your computer. Removing the Brother driver can easily fix your problem. You can uninstall and reinstall the scanner driver simply by following these steps:
- Click on the Start icon and select Sibling from the All Apps option.
- Now select Brother Utilities.
- Click on your model name from the dropdown list.
- Now select the tools option from the left navigation bar and click on Uninstall.
- When the User Account Control screen appears, click Allow or Yes.
- Now Follow the instructions in the dialog box to uninstall the software and drivers.
- After successful uninstallation, restart your computer.
- After restarting your computer, reinstall the Brother software and drivers.
You can also click here to download Brother software and drivers from the official website.
Check if the Control Center is working
To check if the Control Center is working, follow these steps:
- Click on the Start icon and type Sibling in the search box.
- Select the Sibling option from the list.
- Now go to Brother Utilities and click on him.
- Click on Control Center.
- Now try scanning again.
- If still, it does not work from the printer buttons, check if the scanner driver is installed and the port is well connected and configured.
- Now open Scanner Properties.
- Click on Network Settings tab.
- Choose either List your car by address or List your car by name.
- If you choose to specify by address, then enter the printer’s IP address and click on the Apply button to save the changes. If you chose select by name then you must enter the hostname in the box click view option then select your Brother printer and click OK.
- Finally, click on Apply and Ok the option to save the changes you made.
Now you shouldn’t have Scanning Brother Printer to PC not working after applying above solution.