How to install a printer without an installation disk
Sometimes it becomes necessary to find an answer to the question of how to install a printer without an installation disc. In general, any ordinary PC user and office equipment can solve a problem of this kind. There are two ways to install a printer without a disk. One is to use Windows Update, the other is to download the required driver yourself.
In the first case, the basic drivers for the printer or mfp will be installed on the computer, which will allow you to start printing and / or scanning documents. Therefore, the presence of additional functions in your Windows 8 / Windows 10 system, allowing you to process the document before printing, adjust colors, contrast, etc. in this case it will not be provided.
As for the second method, in this case it may take you a little more time to solve the problem, but thanks to this you will install the newest driver for your device, which will provide you with a large number of specific functions.
The first way
If you decide to complete the task related to how to connect a printer to a laptop without a disk using Windows Update, then first you need to connect the printing device to a PC running Windows 8 / Windows 10 or some other version. given OS and wait a few minutes. During this time, the system will identify and determine the connected equipment, after which it will try to automatically install the appropriate software. If this does not happen, then start the update in the Windows 8 / Windows 10 system on your computer manually by following these steps:
- Open the “Control Panel” and then go to the section called “Hardware and Sound”.
- Search among several items for a category with a list of devices and printers connected to the PC.
- In the new window that opens, you will need to click on the button that starts the update check on your Windows 8 / Windows 10 system.
- After that, the software will be searched for the connected office equipment. In the event that the system can find something, the driver will be loaded and installed automatically. The system may ask you for permission to do this.
- Be sure to restart your computer hardware to make sure that the printing device is actually installed. After that, you can start configuring your device for further actions.
If you want your Windows 8 / Windows 10 OS to constantly load drivers and pictures for office equipment connected to the computer in automatic mode, then you should perform the following manipulations:
- To get started, open the “My Computer” context menu by right-clicking on its icon and select “Device Installation Settings”.
In a new window, you will be asked to decide on the setting, in this case, select the first option, which implies permission to automatically install drivers.
- Click on the button that will save the made change. Thanks to such simple actions, when connecting new equipment, the system installed on your PC will automatically turn on the search for a suitable driver in its database.
To manually install the appropriate driver from the Update Center, first disconnect your device from your PC (if you connected the printer to your computer before). After that, carefully read the following instructions:
- Open the section with a list of devices and printers through the “Start” menu.
- Find on the top panel the inscription “Add Printer” and click on it.
- Then, among the two options offered, select the first, i.e. “Add a local printer”.
- In the next window, where you will be asked to decide on the printer port, nothing should be changed, so feel free to click on “Next”.
- Now the wizard will prompt you to choose how to install the driver. Click in this case on “Windows Update” and wait until the list of available software is loaded.
- When the list appears on the screen, select the manufacturer, then the specific model of the device.
- Enter the name of the printer (you can not change anything) and by clicking on “Next”, wait for the installation results.
- In the new Using Shared Printers window, select Don’t share this printer and Next. Thus, the configured device is successfully installed.
- But that’s not all, now you should remove the installed device by right-clicking on its icon in the section with printers and faxes. The fact is that we need software that is installed with the printer, and not the device itself.
- Now you can connect office equipment to the PC and wait until the device “grabs” the previously installed driver.
If you decide to use the manual method to solve the problem of how to install and how to configure a printer without a special installation disk, then first open any web browser. Enter the following query in the search box: download the driver “your printer model”. In most cases, one of the first places of issue will be a link to the page of the official website of the manufacturer of office equipment, or, to be more precise, to the equipment support page.
It is best to download the driver either from our website (for this, go to the download section), or from the manufacturer’s official website, because we do not have any malicious code and the latest software versions are always uploaded. After the file is downloaded, you just have to run it and wait for the files to be unpacked. After that, the installation wizard for this software will open, where you need to click on the button confirming the start of the driver installation. Then you just have to follow all the instructions that will appear along the way. At the end, you can start setting up the printing office equipment for which you have just installed the latest software.
Open any browser and in the search bar enter: “HP LaserJet p1102 printer driver download”. In this article, I will look for drivers for the above device, you also need to specify your model.
As a rule, the link to the official website of the developer will be on the first search page, at the very top. But it does not always happen and therefore you need to be careful. In order not to download malware instead of drivers, make sure that you actually went to the official website of the developer. To do this, pay attention to the site link in the search engine. There should be nothing “superfluous” (the address will be something like this: “HP.com” or “Samsung.com”, etc.
If you doubt the authenticity of the site you have found, you can enter only the name of the printer company without the model and other information. And already from the main page go to the section “drivers and other software”.
Benefits of downloading drivers from the official website:
- Security (digital signature of drivers, no embedded malicious code);
- The developer places on the site only the latest, “fresh” versions of drivers.
As soon as you get to the necessary page (“Drivers and other files”, “Software”, “Software”, “Download”, as well as “drivers” on the English version of the site), you will need to enter your printer model and search.
In addition, some sites allow you to automatically determine the device model and the required drivers, for example, there may be a button “Define a product”. So, if we are on the HP website, we click “Search for a product” and in our case, variations of this model appear. We need to select the desired model by left-clicking.
After the necessary drivers are found, you will need to specify information about the version of your operating system, the bitness of the system. If this window does not appear, then just click on the link or button to download drivers.
A situation may arise that the site will offer to download the driver version of your choice:
- Basic. to access the basic capabilities of the device;
- Extended. for access to additional functions.
You do not need to worry about which version you are downloading, the main thing is to indicate the correct bit depth of your system (discussed above).
The download of the driver installation package will start:
Upon completion of the download, you need to run the downloaded file and follow the instructions of the installation wizard.
There is no installation disk for the printer what to do?
To quickly download Windows 7 printer drivers from the official website, use the search by model. Let’s take a Canon driver as an example:
- Go to the manufacturer’s website.
- Go to the section “Support”. “For individual users”.
- Click “View All Products”.
- Enter the exact printer model in the search box to find and download the installation disc.
Smart Search will find the software you need and automatically detect your operating system. Let’s say you need drivers for Windows 7. check that not only the version matches, but also the bitness (32 or 64 bit), then click “Download”. For HP, drivers are located and downloaded in the same way as for printers of other brands, Epson, Brother, etc.
How to find the printer ID
Another working way to download drivers is using a unique hardware identifier. Each model has its own unique ID. Using this code, you can try to search for suitable software.
Click “Start” and find the “My Computer” icon. Right-click and select the “Management” section from the menu. See the picture below.
Open Device Manager, and expand the “Other Devices” item on the right. If the PC or laptop sees the printer, then it will be listed. Right-click on it and from the list you need to select “Properties”.
In the window that opens, go to the “Information” tab. In the properties from the drop-down list, click on “Equipment ID”.
Then you will see the necessary information. By the received identifier, you can easily find drivers through a search on the network or on the manufacturer’s website.
How to install a Canon printer without disc
/ Useful little things / Installing a printer without a disk: finding the right driver correctly
Have you figured out how to install the printer, but you don’t have a driver disc on hand? Or have you figured out how to connect a printer to a laptop, but the laptop does not have a drive to insert the software media? Situations may be different, but one problem unites them. the need to install drivers on the printer without a disk.
You can try installing the printer through Windows Update. There is nothing complicated here:
- Disconnect the printer from the computer.
- Open the “Devices and Printers” section.
- Click on the “Install” button.
- Select “Add Local”.
- Leave the port unchanged.
- Click on the “Update Center” button.
- Wait until the available drivers are loaded and select the software for your model (or at least a series).
- Leave the printer name unchanged and wait for it to install. You don’t need to allow sharing.
After installation, you will see the added hardware icon in the “Devices and Printers” section. Right-click on it and select “Delete.” Then connect the printer and wait until it “grabs” the previously installed software.
You can repair or update your printer in Simferopol at the service center on the street. Starozenitnaya, 9 (entrance from the side of the fence). Please contact us during business hours from 9.00-18.00 at 7978 797 68 58
If you do not want to search for drivers on the official website (or for some reason the required software is not there), you can use another method:
- Right click on “Computer”.
- Open the Manage tool.
- Go to “Device Manager”.
- Right click on the printer you have connected.
- Go to the “Details” tab.
- Open the “Equipment ID”.
- Copy the first value (if nothing was found for this code, try the second one).
- Paste it into the search box on devid.info.
Select the appropriate driver version (according to the version and bitness of the system) and click on the floppy disk to download the software.
Note: The ID of the equipment must be determined even if the device is not fully identified by the system. Simply put, if the printer is installed, then you can easily find out its code through the device manager.
Installing the software
Drivers are downloaded as an installation package with the exe extension. If you had an installation disc, you would find the exact same file inside it. Accordingly, the installation order does not change either:
- Run the downloaded installation file, usually Setup.exe.
- With the help of the installation wizard, go through all the steps.
- Restart your computer (if the wizard prompts you to do this).
After rebooting, go to the “Devices and Printers” section to make sure that the printer is correctly detected by the system and is used by default.
One more step!
Confirm your email address in the email just sent to you.
Local drive does not appear in the This PC folder
Sometimes you may come across a situation where the hard drive is physically accessible to the computer, but one of its logical drives or partitions has disappeared and is no longer displayed. For example, your computer used to have drive C and drive D, and suddenly drive D is no longer displayed in This PC folder.
To fix the problem and make the D drive visible in this PC’s Folder again:
for Windows 8.1
To print web pages using Internet Explorer, click the Tools button. select Print. and then select Print again. Preview how the printed page will look by selecting Preview. Or print the pages by pressing Crtl P.
To print only an image from a page (not the entire page), right-click the image and select Print. In the Print dialog box, select Print again.
RESOLVED: “You need to format the drive before you can use it” after incorrectly disconnecting USB wintips.org
Sometimes after accidentally disconnecting an external USB drive without using the Safely Remove option, the following error appears: “You need to format the disk in drive X before you can use it. Do you want to format it? “. As a result, you cannot access your data using Windows or other OS. The above error occurs due to the fact that when you accidentally. forcibly. detach (unplug) the external USB storage device (USB HDD, USB storage devices, etc.) Without using Safely Remove Option (“Safe Remove Hardware”), then the USB storage partition table is damaged.
To avoid data loss or damage to the drive’s partition table, always make sure that you close all open files and stop any activity on the USB drive (including Windows Explorer), and always use the Safely Remove option before disconnecting the drive. still get a warning message when removing USB storage devices such as “”. This device is currently in use. Close any programs or Windows that may be using the device, then try again, then log out and log back in, or restart your computer.
In this guide, you can find clear instructions on how to recover a damaged hard disk drive (HDD) partition table after improperly shutting down. I have used this procedure several times with successful results to solve the described problem for my clients.
Note: Please be aware that you are following this guide at your own risk and you must be very careful with the steps in it to avoid losing your data.
To solve the problem with unrecognized USB HDD, I used TestDisk utility several times with great results. TestDisk. powerful FREE data recovery software! It was primarily designed to help recover lost partitions and / or make non-bootable disks bootable again if these symptoms are caused by faulty software, certain types of viruses, or human error (such as accidentally deleting a partition table). really simple.
If you’re using Windows 10, see Troubleshoot printer problems in Windows 10.
When you connect your printer to your computer or add a new printer to your home network, you can usually start printing right away. Windows supports most printers, and you probably don’t have to go out of your way to install printer-specific software. If you are using Windows 8.1 or Windows RT 8.1, additional printer support and drivers are available through Windows Update.
Windows updates can also help to install drivers on the printer when there is no disk for it. Modern operating systems of the Windows family, such as Windows 7,8,10 have a “wired” base with drivers not only for printing devices, but also for other equipment.
If your device model is new or not very popular, then there may not be any drivers in the Windows base. In this case, you need to make a forced update through the “Windows Update” service. How to quickly and easily do this, see the instructions below.
Procedure for Win10. Click to view.
Open the control panel of your personal computer. Regardless of the device, everything is the same for both, if Windows 10 is installed. Right-click on the “Start” button, select “Run” from the drop-down menu.
In the window that opened, type “Control”.
In the control panel, open the “Devices and Printers” section.
Open the menu by pressing the right mouse button and select “Windows Update”.
Click on “Check for Updates”. If the system finds any service packs, then install them.
Instructions for Win7. Click to see.
Actions for updating through the “Update” service for the seven.
Click “Start” and enter “update” in the search bar. We select “Check for updates”.
We check for updates and install the found.
After rebooting the PC, Windows should “see” the new device and install the drivers you just downloaded. If this did not happen, then the driver may not be in the Microsoft database. We recommend using other connection methods. You can find them below on the page.