Manually adding a printer to the system
In some cases, it is more convenient to install the printer and the required software through the Add Printer Wizard. To do this, go to the “Control Panel” and select “Devices and Printers”.
Depending on your version of Windows (7/10), click “Add Printer” or “Add Printer”.
The system will try to detect the device automatically, in case of failure, select: “The required printer is not in the list”.
In the new window we mark: “Add a local or network printer with parameters set manually.” We indicate the existing port. If you find it difficult to choose in the future, the port can be changed.
You now have the ability to use:
- Windows Update. After pressing this button, the system may freeze for a while. The wizard will update the list of supported hardware. Specify your model in the fields “Manufacturer” and “Printers”.
- Install from disk. Here you need to specify the location of the unzipped driver, if you have already downloaded it.
At the end, it will not be superfluous to check the printer connection ports. To do this, go to the “Devices and Printers” section, select the printer and right-click on the context menu, in which you need to select “Printer Properties”. Find the “Ports” tab and select the appropriate port.
Remember to reboot the system and print a test page after installing the software.
Ideally, there are two options for installing all the necessary drivers on computers, especially laptops:
- A disk (or flash card) with a hardware wizard, which includes a convenient program for analyzing devices and installing drivers in the correct sequence. In this case, a minimum of actions is required from the user, it is only necessary to run the Hardware Installation and Configuration Wizard on such media.
Then the program will do everything by itself: it will copy all the necessary files in a certain sequence and reboot your computer several times when necessary.
- The second option requires an internet connection and works mainly on laptops. After installing the system, you need to download or install from the disk a proprietary program for analyzing the state of the system and installed equipment, which will find all devices, download the drivers from the manufacturer’s official website and offer to install them on the computer.
Both of these options are standard and usually their use leads to the correct installation and configuration of drivers. However, if the manufacturer has not bothered about completing his equipment with such a carrier, or you are using rather old components, the disk of which does not contain a driver for the new version of the operating system, you will have to look for other options.
Automatic search by means of Windows
You need to go to the “Device Manager”, how to do this is discussed in detail in the recommendations on how to find out the driver version, and on the driver properties screen, click the “Update” button, and then select the option to search for the driver on the Internet.
If the search process is unsuccessful, you will have to search for drivers manually, for example, on our website.
Manual search and installation
You need to download the drivers to your computer, unpack them into a separate folder and after clicking on the “Update” button in the properties window, select “Search on this computer” and explicitly specify the folder where the drivers were unpacked.
It is also recommended to check the “Include subfolders” option, since the necessary files can be located inside a rather complex subdirectory.
However, some of the drivers on our site are presented in the form of an installation file, which you just need to run.
We draw your attention to the fact that before installing the driver in manual mode, you need to select the correct driver and know how to remove it after an incorrect installation.
In some cases, the installation of the “wrong” driver can either lead to the inoperability of this device, or make the system impossible. Therefore, before manually installing the drivers, you should create a system restore point and save important data.
If you use automatic installers and download drivers from a trusted site, unpleasant incidents associated with the installation process are quite rare.
How to install the driver correctly
The stability of the computer and its performance directly depend on the correct installation of the operating system and the necessary drivers.
And if, as a rule, there are no problems with the installation of modern operating systems, the installation of device drivers can be associated with certain difficulties, especially if not all the necessary disks are included in the package of your computer, which is very common when buying laptops.
In addition, if you are purchasing not the latest PC model, it may include discs with outdated drivers, containing errors and without proper optimization, which, for example, very often happens with video cards.
When installing drivers on a newly installed Windows system, the order of installation also matters. In the case of the driver installation wizard, it is respected, and in the manual installation mode, it is better to follow the sequence of actions that we give below.
It is worth noting that after installing the driver for each device, it is better to reboot the system even in cases where the installer does not explicitly indicate this.
The recommended sequence for installing drivers on a computer running any version of the Windows operating system:
- Motherboard chipset drivers. Even if all devices are detected by the operating system, it is better to install this kit, moreover, this must be done immediately after installing the system.
- Video card drivers. An important stage, on the correct execution of which the reliability and efficiency of the graphics subsystem will depend. Particular attention should be paid to installing graphics drivers on laptops with a discrete card, since two drivers are usually required, for example, on the integrated Intel graphics card and on the discrete Nvidia. If you don’t, you won’t get the features your laptop is designed for.
- Sound card drivers. As a rule, Windows is able to install its drivers on most sound cards, but in order to get all the features of your sound card, you need to install its “native” software.
- Network card drivers. On modern motherboards with an integrated network card, this step is performed at the stage of installing the chipset drivers, but if you are using a discrete card, it is better to install the driver from the manufacturer.
- If we are talking about installing drivers on a laptop, after completing the above, you still need to deliver drivers for the touchpad, Wi-Fi, webcam, as well as other devices, for example, a built-in modem and a BlueTooth module.
- Drivers for expansion cards. This can be, for example, a TV tuner, video capture card or other devices connected directly to the motherboard.
- Drivers for all peripheral devices connected to the computer, including printers, scanners, external modems and other equipment.
Most of all the drivers you need for the Windows system you can find and download on our website, which will always come to your aid in case of problems with finding and installing drivers for your computer. He will also be able to help you with a number of other technical issues related to setting up your PC and optimizing its operation.