Windows 10 does not see the printer: Possible causes and solutions
Surely most users of modern Windows-based computer systems have come across situations when they urgently need to print an important document, and the same tenth modification suddenly reports that Windows 10 does not see the printer. And what should be done in this case? There may be several options. But first, you need to find out the reasons due to which Windows 10 does not see a USB printer or a connected device in a second way. Further, all Possible problems will be considered and the most effective methods for their elimination will be proposed.
Windows 10: the computer cannot see the printer. What is the reason?
Any more or less literate user, when answering a question about the reasons for this phenomenon, will immediately say that they are all related to missing or incorrectly installed printer drivers. Yes, indeed, one of the reasons can be called this. However, there are many more factors on which the performance of the printing device depends (even at the physical level of the connection).
Let’s assume that everything is in order with the drivers (the device is detected, and the system says that it is working fine). What then? Here, as a commonplace reason, you can indicate the lack of connection to a local printer or a device on the network. It may be that the print service itself is inactive. In addition, the printer settings may be changed and print is set to Delayed Mode. Finally, even overflowing the print queue (simultaneously printing too many documents) can also play a role.
First and Easiest Troubleshooter
So, we assume that Windows 10 does not see the HP printer, although until a certain point it worked quite well. The first step is to check the connection to the computer, turn off and then turn on the device, or even just restart the computer to which it is connected.
It is quite possible that this will work. At least in some cases, printing resumes. This applies to both local and network printers.
However, if printing did not start, in the settings for specifying the location of the network device, you must NOT select it from the list, but write the address and name manually.
Windows 10 can’t see printer: check device status
But there are even worse situations. Let’s say Windows 10 can’t see a Canon printer. Why? Yes, only because the device gives an error.
Use the “Device Manager”, update the list indicating the display of hidden devices, and then if the printer appears in the list (even with an indication of a driver error), check its status in the “Control Panel” so that it is used by default, and in the status Paused print options have NOT been set or offline options have been activated.
Solving the problem with the corresponding services
If after the actions taken, Windows 10 does not see the printer. It is advisable to use the section of programs and components, where in the components you should check whether the print service is currently active.
If everything is in order with her, you need to go directly to the services section.
It is called through the “Run” console by entering the command to execute services. Msc.
In the editor, you just need to find the corresponding service, open its parameters (properties), press the start button, set the value in the start type corresponding to automatic or manual start.
Installing and updating device drivers
Finally, we come to the most important question related to the fact that the driver is not installed for the printer. You can check its status in the “Device Manager”.
At least if the printer is marked as an unrecognized device, you can simply try to update the appropriate software for it.
In some cases, it helps to find a non-standard driver by identifier DEV and VEN. Windows 10 does not see the printer just because there is no such driver in its own database. When reinstalling after downloading the driver Use the indication of the location where the installation file is saved or, if possible, install it yourself from the EXE distribution or the INF information file (for an EXE object, using the PCM, run as administrator is selected, and for an INF file. the line “ Install “).
But there may be a completely non-standard situation when Windows 10 does not see the printer via USB. It is possible that everything is in order with the device itself and its drivers, but there are no USB controller drivers (it may be that the port itself is damaged). Try either reconnecting the printer to the second port (it may require USB 3.0 rather than 2.0), or reinstall the USB controller drivers. Finally, just check the USB cable or Connect the device via another standard connector.
But as for updating drivers, it is better to do it NOT using your own system tools, but to use specialized automatic update utilities. Programs like Driver Booster, Slim Drivers and the like have proven themselves quite well. Search and download will be carried out exclusively on the official resources of equipment manufacturers, and software of this type will be installed absolutely for all hardware and virtual devices present in the computer system, and not only for printers (although you can mark only the printing device, update the software for it, and after reboot see how it will function).
Programmatic method of restoring printers
In principle, you can also use specially created programs that allow you to identify and eliminate problems.
For example. Quite an effective tool is the Print And Scan Doctor application, which was released specifically for HP devices. For second printers It will not be difficult to find similar utilities on the websites of manufacturers of this type of equipment.
If utilities of this type are not provided for downloading, it may very well be that on the website of the printer or computer manufacturer (most often this applies to laptops) you can find a section of an online system scan to identify possible problems. Of course, we are NOT talking about correcting them. But it will be possible to identify the root cause of failures with a fairly high degree of probability.
It remains to be noted that issues related to damage or inoperability of the printers themselves (scanners / all-in-one printer) or viral influence, due to which violations could occur NOT so much in the operation of drivers as in the functioning of the system itself, were NOT considered here. But the above proposed methods usually eliminate the problems encountered in 99% of cases out of a hundred. If nothing helps at all, but the device worked before, just do a system restore. It is possible that even such a primitive method will help.
The computer does not see the printer via USB. what to do if the PC or laptop does not recognize the printer Samsung, Canon, HP and others in Windows 7, 8, 10
There are several reasons why the computer does not see the printer. These include hardware problems with the product, or problems with the cartridges or ink supply system. There are situations when the computer (PC) does not see or has stopped seeing the printer despite the fact that both devices are working normally.
There can be many sources of the problem with any printer HP, Canon, Samsung, Epson and others, so you should first determine the malfunction, and then look for a solution.
The most common reason why the computer cannot see the printer via USB is the wrong connection. You must first make sure that the printing device is connected at all to your PC or laptop. If this is not the reason, then you need to pull out the USB cable from both devices and insert it into the connectors again until it stops.
Some modern printers use USB 3.0 for connectivity, while most computers have 2.0 connectors. It is worth considering this, read the instructions for connecting.
Damaged or damaged USB cable
The next reason why a computer or laptop does not see the printer is a damaged USB cable or connector. In this case, you should disconnect all computer peripherals and insert the cable one by one into all USB ports on the computer. Each time you connect, you need to wait a little while the system responds: a sound signal or a message on the monitor.
The next step in the case when the computer or printer Windows 7, 8, 10 does not see the printer, check for the presence of drivers and correct installation. As a rule, all necessary software is included with the printer. In this case, it will not be difficult to install the drivers following the instructions. If there are no drivers, then you can download the necessary software from the manufacturer’s official website. But first you need to check the compatibility of the firmware and hardware of the personal computer.
How to print from computer to printer
But sometimes the drivers “crash” and start behaving incorrectly. There is a solution here too.
First you need to find the printer “Start”. “Control Panel”. “Device Manager”. Right-click the icon of the printing device found in the list, a context menu will appear. Click “Properties”.
If in the “General” section it is written that the device is working normally, then the problem lies elsewhere. And if there is an error, then the drivers need to be removed and reinstalled.
In order to remove the firmware, you need to go to the “Driver” tab and click “Remove”.
After that, install the driver again from the disk or download the software from the Internet and install, after which the error when the computer does not see the driver should be eliminated.
Another device selected for printing
If the printer is not connected to the computer via USB, check if other printers and devices are connected to the PC. Then you need to go to “Start”. “Control Panel”. “Devices and Printers”.
Right-click on the desired print device and “Set as default”.
Disabled print service
Sometimes the computer does not see the printer when the print service is disabled, so the printer refuses to print. You can solve the problem by going to “Start”. “Control Panel”. “Administrative Tools”. Find “Services” in the list and double-click.
Next, select “Print Manager”, just click on it twice.
In the services table, you need to make sure that the value “works” is listed in the “Status” column. If not, then click on the “Start” button and select “Automatic” in the “Startup type” field. Then at the bottom click on the “Apply” button, then “OK”.
How to fix Windows update errors
Automatic printing enabled
In some cases, automatic printing is enabled on a Windows 10 PC. This setting can be found under System and Security in Control Panel. Then select “Administration”. “Services”. “Print Manager”, right-click on it, a menu will appear where you can select “Properties”. Here the startup type should be selected with the value “automatic” and the state. “running”.
Operating system crash
If all of the above methods did not help, then a failure in the operating system remains. In this case, you will have to diagnose Windows. The reasons for refusal can be:
- The presence of viruses in the system;
- Blocking by antivirus;
- Incorrect BIOS settings.
To find out if there are viruses on your computer, you should scan it for viruses using antivirus software. over, it is better to check with several tools, launching them in turn. This provides a more reliable check.
Sometimes antiviruses themselves block the operation of certain processes, mistakenly “thinking” that a virus is running, therefore, printer drivers may also conflict. To avoid such a conflict, you just need to turn off the antivirus while installing the drivers.
Using the BIOS, you can configure the components of the system unit and other important parameters. Sometimes the BIOS itself may be incorrectly configured, which threatens with incorrect operation of the USB ports. Having launched the BIOS, you need to check the state of the ports. You need to focus on the names of options such as USB Function, Legacy USB Port USB Controller Mode. Then you need to turn on the controller and select “Exit and Save Changes”.
Why the computer does NOT recognize the printer
Almost everyone faced a problem when the computer stopped seeing the printer, or could not see it initially. Even if both devices are fully functional, the computer may NOT recognize the printer despite the correct connection. This problem is the most common, but at the same time, the easiest to solve.
Possible causes of malfunctions
Often a prerequisite for the invisibility of the printer is the lack of contact when connecting. a consequence of clogged ports, a faulty cord, or simply not tight enough at the joint.
- Incorrect driver work.
Print device drivers, like any other software, can fail, causing the printer to malfunction. If there is no disk included with the purchase of the printer, the user can download drivers that are incompatible or unsuitable for a specific OS.
- A different default device is installed.
This problem can occur if other printing devices are connected to the computer, or they were previously connected but not removed properly. This means that the operating system will recognize another printer selected automatically.
- Disabled print service.
In search of an answer to the question of why the computer does not see the printer, users often forget about the settings of the operating system itself. The service must be always on for trouble-free printing.
Ways to solve these problems
To test the connection, just make sure you are using the working ports and cable. If you find debris or dust in the ports, you need to clean them to ensure contact between the elements. To check, you can free all the connectors, and if the computer does not see the usb printer, check each of them sequentially. Sometimes the solution to the problem can be made by a trivial check whether the printer itself is turned on, since many often forget to turn on the device again after disconnecting from the network.
Problems with drivers can come from their improper operation, or from their complete absence. To install the drivers, it is important to use the native disk supplied with the printer. If such a disk is available, the drivers are downloaded from the Internet on the official website of the device manufacturer. When downloading the driver, it is important to select the package that fully matches the printer model and your operating system. If the drivers are not working correctly, you can reinstall them by first removing the broken version.
To install a valid printer as a default device, you need to right-click on the device icon and check the box next to the “Use as default” option, or just select this option.
To enable the print service, you need to go to the Control Panel, the “Administrative Tools” tab, then. “Services” or “Print Spooler”. After that, you need to enable the service by choosing “Startup type” or the “Start” command, and put a tick in front of the “Automatic” parameter.
Thus, if the computer does not see the printer connected, then you can solve this problem yourself in most cases. Proof that the problem has been resolved is when the device is working properly and displayed on the computer. In other cases, you need to contact the specialists, since the lack of results for all the indicated methods of fixing the problem may indicate the presence of more serious malfunctions.
Other helpful instructions:
In this article, we will consider in detail all the possible reasons why the printer may NOT be detected via USB, via Wi-Fi or via a local network. Options will be given to fix a poor connection, reinstall software, properly configure hardware and print services, operating system problems, and a few others. The instructions are applicable for any model of devices from Canon, HP, Epson, Samsung, Xerox, Brother, OKI, Kyocera.
Despite the rapid development of wireless technologies, many users continue to use USB cables to connect their printing equipment. The problem when a laptop or computer does not see the printer often occurs for this very reason during the installation process. “Comp” simply does not find the printing device or does not recognize it on the selected port.
It is not uncommon for a PC to stop seeing a device for printing in Windows 7, 8, 10 operating systems on a local network or via WiHi. Although the equipment used to work properly without failures and problems. In addition, the printer may NOT appear in the device manager, which signals about the “flown” drivers.
If you just bought a new printing device or connect old equipment to a new PC, but Windows does not even want to detect the device, then the first thing to do is check if the connection is correct.
- The USB cable should be connected to the input on the printer body for this purpose. Many people often confuse it with an Ethernet connector, which can even harm the technology. Plug the other end of the cable, where the flat metal plug is, into the inlet on the back of the computer. Never use the outputs on the front of the case as they have no direct connection to the motherboard. DO NOT use an extension USB cable. Recheck interface versions for consistency. Version 2.0 connects to black inputs, and 3.0 to blue. This is also an important point.
- Wihi connection does not always have a stable signal, and due to its very intensive use, it often disappears. This applies more to offices, since there are many consumers at home. In addition, the router may be turned off or the network settings (name and access code) changed. It will NOT be superfluous to double-check it.
The physical integrity of the cords is just as important to the correct operation of the technique. Carefully check the cables used for damage, breaks, cuts, kinks. Inspect the plugs to find out their real condition. If the printer itself or the PC is often used with other equipment, then it is worth looking at its inputs and the state of the mount with connection cables. The connection should be clear, nothing should be loose, no pulls on the cords are allowed.
Often, a laptop does not see peripheral equipment in Windows 7 or 8 operating systems due to “flying” drivers. This is special software that guides the printer during the printing process. To check for such a problem, you should follow a few simple steps:
- Click “Start”, find the shortcut “Computer”, right-click on it, select “Manage” from the menu.
- On the left in the list, click on “Device Manager”.
- In the list, we look for our printer by the model name, calling the context menu with the mouse, go to the properties.
- If instead of the inscription “The device is working normally” you write something else, then install the latest drivers.
Instructions for installing drivers if there is no branded disc Description of different ways to update the printer software.
Another print device selected
The printer to which print jobs are sent must be selected as the primary printer on the user’s laptop or computer so that the jobs will automatically get to him. To check this, you should go through the control panel to the “Devices and Printers” section. Wait until all models of equipment are displayed in the list, select your “device”. Then with the right mouse button, calling the menu, in which we select the “Use by default” item, if it was not previously selected.
Windows Print Service Not Started
In addition to drivers, a special service manages the work of printing technicians in Windows. We are talking about the “Print Manager”, the launch of which at this moment needs to be checked. To do this, run the “Management” snap-in, as shown in the first paragraph of the section on drivers. Further:
- At the end, select the “Services” shortcut, Wait until all services are displayed, find “Print Manager”.
- From the context menu, go to the properties, check that you all match as in our screenshot.
- If the “Run” button is active, then use it to restart.
Features of Windows 10
After the Win 10 update, the system stopped finding printing devices for many, or they simply stopped working on their own, although everything was fine by the “update”. In this section, you will find Detailed instructions for troubleshooting when your laptop or computer does not see the printer via USB in Windows 10, with explanations and screenshots for inexperienced users of this operating system.
The instructions are applicable if Windows 10 displays “Driver not available”, “Operation paused”, “Printer needs attention” errors. Below is the correct procedure for such unusual cases for models of printing devices from HP, Canon, Samsung and other brands. Detailed attention is paid to the situation of problems with drivers when they are not installed by the standard automatic method.
There are three ways to use the tool to automatically fix printer problems in the top ten:
- Go to the control panel and find the “Troubleshoot” shortcut there. Find the section “Hardware and Sound”, and in it the item “Using the printer”.
- In the control panel, you can immediately select the Hardware and Sound snap-in, and in the list your printing device (if there is one). Then right-click on “Troubleshoot” from the drop-down menu.
- Download Printerdiagnostic10 utility from Microsoft website.
Regardless of the startup method you choose, the auto fix tool will be activated. The utility scans the system for connected printing devices and checks for problems with them. It will check: the stability and availability of connections, the relevance and integrity of the drivers. The system will try to automatically correct the printer.
Manually adding a printer
If the first option, using a special utility, did NOT solve the problem, then try adding the printer yourself manually. To do this, find the “Printers and Scanners” section in the control panel. Case find the add button and click it. Once you start searching, there will be a shortcut “The printer that I want is not listed” at the bottom. Click it and in the window that appears, select any item that best suits your situation.
Installing drivers manually
As another option, you can safely consider downloading and installing a printer through the driver program. Most printing technology software has built-in detection tools. What we will use in our problem case. If you have an installation disk for the printer, you can be considered very lucky. If no such driver media can be found, download the latest drivers from the printer manufacturer’s website.
Detailed instructions for manual installation of the printer driver. A selection of links to software databases on the websites of different brands.
Before installing a set of new files, old ones, if any, are recommended to be deleted to avoid software conflicts. To clean the system of old drivers, you can use the WindowsR command, type “printui / s” in the window, go to the “Drivers” tab, select the required package and uninstall. In some cases, before uninstalling, it is necessary to stop the print service, and then start it back. This is done through the command line by queries “net stop spooler” and “net start spooler”, respectively.
Tips and solutions from manufacturers
Popular equipment manufacturers did NOT stand aside from the problems and expressed their opinion on the problem. You can listen to their recommendations, which will tell you in which direction to move to solve the problem when the printer does not work on Windows 10.
- Canon assures that its equipment will work with old drivers in the new OS. In addition, it offers, if necessary, to download updated software from its website.
- HP recommends trying to install drivers for Windows 7 or 8 on devices running Tens. There should be no problems.
- For Epson “firewood” must be updated, downloaded the files from the company’s website.
Funds from equipment manufacturers
Many manufacturers of printing devices have similar utilities for troubleshooting printer problems similar to Microsoft. Their work is tailored to the models of their devices, which significantly increases the chances of using them.
- If you are using one of the HP models, then pay attention to the “Print and Scan Doctor”.
- For owners of printing devices from Canon. “Canon My Printer”.
- Epson users are NOT deprived of this opportunity. They are recommended to use “Epson Status Monitor”.
- Brmainte software was created for OKI printers in case of malfunctions for troubleshooting.
- Samsung Diagnose Using “Samsung Printer Diagnostics”. In addition to printers, it will be useful for diagnosing faxes, scanners, searching for and installing additional software.
- When working with Brother, “BRAdmin Professional” helps flawlessly. Scans network, print server, SNMP in parallel for problems and faults.
Solving problems with USB printer support in the top ten.
Can’t see the network printer
In case the PC does NOT recognize the network printer, the main problems can be:
- The device is not “shared” or cannot be used during this period of time for remote access from other network clients. Such a client is any PC or laptop with access to the local network.
- The printer or “computer” to which it is connected is in a different workgroup.
- Network discovery on the parent computer of the printing device is not enabled.
- The router is turned off, which is used to communicate with the printer via Wi-Hi, or the Ethernet patch cord is removed.
Correct settings for printing through a network printer. Recommendations for solving problems of equipment availability over a network.
Malfunctions or incorrect settings of SEPARATE components of the operating system or the computer itself can affect the operation of printing technicians. Let’s take a closer look at options for problems with antivirus software, BIOS settings, the presence of viruses, which should first of all be eliminated if the PC does not see the printer.
- Malicious programs can negatively affect various processes within the operating system. Printing is NOT an exception to this simple rule. Check your disks with antivirus or even a free disposable utility like Doctor Web’s Cure It.
- A full-fledged antivirus itself or the built-in Windows Firewall can also “cut” or block signals from the printer, mistakenly considering them dangerous. Try disabling your antivirus software for a while or setting up exceptions for typing technicians.
- BIOS settings make it easy to disable USB ports, which could happen after updating it or user action. Check that the USB port controller is turned on.
Malfunction of the printer itself
From the list of possible causes of malfunctions due to which the printer does not work and refuses to print, one cannot exclude the breakdown of one of the components of the printing device itself. It can be anything from a broken connection entry on the case to a motherboard failure. Such repairs will be expensive and an inexperienced user cannot do it at home on their own. You should use the services of the service center, where experienced craftsmen can fix the equipment.
What was the reason for you?
- BIOS settings 100%, 1 vote 1 vote 100% 1 vote. 100% of all votes
- By default, the printer was selected 0%, 0 votes votes 0 votes. 0% of all votes
- Wise with connection 0%, 0 votes votes 0 votes. 0% of all votes
- Driver glitch 0%, 0 votes votes 0 votes. 0% of all votes
- Viruses 0%, 0 votes votes 0 votes. 0% of all votes
- Antivirus 0%, 0 votes votes 0 votes. 0% of all votes
- The printer “ordered to live long” 0%, 0 votes votes 0 votes. 0% of all votes
- Stopped Print Manager Service 0%, 0 votes 0 votes. 0% of all votes
Total Votes: 1 28.03.2019 × You or from your IP have already voted.
A number of users may face a situation in which their computer does not see the printer connected to it. Documents sent for printing, but not printed, the connected device is not visible in the list of devices connected to the PC, while the printer seems to be connected to the computer via USB correctly, and in fact should work. In this article, I will tell you in detail why the computer does not see the printer via USB, I will acquaint the reader with a list of the reasons for this dysfunction, and also tell you how to fix it.
The device is not visible to the computer
Why the computer does not see the printer via USB. the causes of dysfunction
So why does the computer NOT detect the printer via the USB port? The reasons for this problem can be the following:
- Accidental PC crash;
- The user simply forgot to turn on the printer
- The connection of the printer to the computer is NOT reliable (the USB cable is not fully inserted into the connector, the cable itself is damaged, the connectors themselves for connecting via USB on a PC or printer are damaged)
- The driver for the specified printer on the PC is missing or “crashed”, or does not work correctly;
- The operating mode of the USB controller is incorrect or the USB itself is disabled in the BIOS settings;
- By default, another printer is selected
- The automatic printing service is NOT functioning (disabled);
- The culprit for the dysfunction is a viral program;
- A number of Windows system files are damaged, this may also be a prerequisite for the fact that the computer does not see the connected printer
- Hardware failure of the printer itself.
How to solve the problem with the visibility of the printer
So how do you fix your printer problem? I recommend following these steps:
- Make sure that the printer is on, if necessary, turn it on (the indicator on the case should light up)
The first step is to check if the printer is turned on.
We activate the automatic printing service. Click “Start”, type msc in the search bar, find “Print Manager” in the list of services, double-click on it, and make sure that the startup type is “Automatic”. If not, set the Required startup type and Confirm the changes by clicking on “Ok”.
- Try to temporarily disable your antivirus and check if your printer works in this mode. For a number of reasons, antivirus can block the USB connection of the printer;
- If your printer worked well before, try rolling your system back to a previous restore point. When the device was working normally.
Using a restore point
Above, I discussed the reasons why the computer does not see the printer via USB, and also listed a set of tips that can help solve the problem. In most cases, this problem occurs due to problems with the drivers (their absence, “Off”, Incorrect operation), as well as in a situation when another printer is installed by default as the main one. I recommend that you follow the full range of tips I described above, this will help you effectively fix this problem on your PC.
Solving problems with Canon printer detection
Checking the connection
Before moving on to more advanced methods of fixing the error from detecting a Canon printer, you should check the connection, because you may not have properly organized it or did not notice that the USB cable is broken. Examine it carefully for physical damage and try using a different free USB port on your computer or laptop. When it comes to PCs, choose a port on the motherboard over the front of the case. For those who are first faced with connecting printing equipment and setting it up in the operating system, we suggest that you familiarize yourself with the detailed thematic instruction at the link below.
Connection problems may be caused by a missing or incorrectly selected Canon printer driver. In such a situation, the computer will determine that some device was connected via USB, but will not be able to find out its type and, accordingly, allow it to interact with it. If you have NOT installed the software yet, or are worried that you may have done so incorrectly, please skip to another instruction.
Using the stock troubleshooter
The built-in Windows troubleshooter is designed to provide basic error scanning and automated resolution. Before trying more time-consuming solutions to the problem and in order to save your time, rather than manually performing checks that could have been launched in automatic mode, you can resort to this tool.
- Open “Start” and go to the “Settings” menu.
Go to the troubleshooter.
Select the “Printer” category by clicking on this inscription.
A “Run the troubleshooter” button will appear, and click.
A table will appear where you need to indicate the incorrectly working device, but in our case you should select the option “the printer is in the list”.
Next, the second stage of scanning will begin, affecting other areas of the operating system, and upon completion you will see the result if the problem was resolved.
Manually adding a printer to the device list
There are situations where the printer simply is not automatically added to the device list. The user will have to manually add it, and the easiest way is to start scanning through the corresponding menu in the “Settings” application, but if this does not help, you should refer to the alternative options, about which in more detail.
Checking the print service
The Windows operating system has a standard service on which the performance of all connected printing equipment depends. If it is disabled for some reason, the new device will not appear in the list and it will NOT work to interact with it, so the service needs to be checked by following these steps:
- Open “Start” and search for the “Services” application.
From the list, you need the Print Manager service. After that, double click on this line to open the options menu.
Make sure this service starts automatically and is now in the Running state. If it is not, change the settings, apply them and send the computer to restart.
There should be no difficulties in changing the state of the service, but if after restarting the PC it is again in a disabled state, first make sure that the actions are performed on behalf of the administrator, and when this did not bring the desired result, run a scan for presence of viruses.
Checking Print Components
This option will primarily be relevant for users who, when trying to connect a printer, the notification “Local printing subsystem is not running” appears on the screen, but it can help everyone else too.
- Open “Start” to go from there to the “Options” menu.
Scroll down to the Related Options section in the first Applications and Features category. There click on the clickable label “Programs and Features”.
A separate software control window will launch, where through the left panel toggle to “Turn Windows features on or off”.
Wait for the list of components to load and make sure Print and Document Services is enabled.
Additionally, open this directory and activate all the items present there.
Restart your computer and only then try to reconnect the device. If none of the methods helped, try connecting the Canon printer to a second computer / laptop to make sure it works, or Contact the service center, where specialists will help to deal with the car goods problem.
What to do if the computer does not see the USB device?
What if my computer can’t see USB? First of all, you need to make sure that there is NO damage to the same device that you need to connect. You can check this very simply: if everything is normal when you connect it to the second computer, then the device itself is working properly. Also, when you connect it to your PC, pay attention to whether the light (LED) comes on. If the computer does not see the phone, the USB ports and cable may be completely functional, but you need to check the settings of the device itself and confirm the possibility of data exchange between it and the computer (if this option is disabled, the device will NOT appear on your computer). This also applies to tablet PCs, smartphones, MP3 players and similar gadgets.
Tip # 1
Many people plug new devices into the USB ports on the front of the system unit. However, very often the front ports do not have a connection to the power supply, or there is power, but it is not enough for correct operation. What if the computer does not see USB in this situation? It is enough just to reconnect the device to one of the ports, which are located on the back.
Council number 2
Sometimes the system immediately detects a new data storage device, but displays a message stating that the device is NOT recognizable, and refuses to read the information. Most often, the problem lies, again, in insufficient power and is solved by connecting the media to the second port. However, in some cases there is a need to update the drivers. The easiest and most convenient way to do this is with specialized programs (say, Everest). It will help you find out the name of your board, and then download the Corresponding drivers from the official websites of the manufacturers.
It is also possible that the problem occurred due to the fact that Windows assigned the new device an already used volume label (letter). This is corrected using the control panel tools (right-click on the shortcuts “My Computer”, in the menu that appears, select the item “Control”). Case you will see the “Storage Devices” tab as well in it. “Disk Management”. It remains only to find the label of our device, press the right mouse button and select the “Path to disk” item (“Change drive letter”). In the window that opens, enter a new symbol. After that, the problem can be fixed.
Council number 3
What if my computer can’t see USB? Although it is very rare, it still happens that the ability to read data from USB devices is disabled in the BIOS. Most often, this is done in Internet shops and similar institutions so that people, using their media, do not infect computers with viruses. If we are talking about a home PC, you should go into the BIOS, and then check the box allowing the motherboard to enable USB devices.
Tip # 4
If the computer does not see the information on your drive via USB, this may be due to the presence of malicious virus programs on the PC itself or the attached device. Here the solution is obvious: you should download a reliable powerful antivirus and conduct a full scan of both the computer itself and the drive.
Council number 5
This advice, rather, concerns those who cannot connect a USB flash drive. What if the computer does not see the USB drive, and you have already done everything described above? You need to be aware that sometimes there is a conflict between the file systems of USB devices and PCs. As a rule, on flash drives it is. FAT and FAT32 systems. Modern hard drives support NTFS. With the help of the “disk management” already familiar to us, you can change the file system type of the flash drive to FAT32 or NTFS.
Council number 6
Finally, you might just want to format the drive. This can be done if it is displayed in the list of connected devices. However, when formatting, all data stored on it will be permanently deleted.
What to do if the computer does not see the Canon printer when connected?
You became the owner of a Canon printer and, of course, decided to connect it to your personal computer. What if the computer can’t see the printer? Why is this happening? What are the reasons the device does not print from the computer? This issue needs to be dealt with.
How to connect correctly?
Often, the PC does not see the printer later, that there is no contact due to clogged ports, a faulty wire, or a loose connection to the connector.
When connecting the printer to a computer using a USB cable, check if you did everything right. Follow the sequence of actions.
- Install the printer so that the cable can easily reach the computer connector.
- Connect the printer to a power source, pressed the power button.
- Computer Connect to printer with USB cable. The operating system often independently recognizes and installs the necessary drivers for modern hardware models. If the printer model is old enough, then, most likely, the drivers will have to be installed from the installation disk or downloaded from the manufacturer’s website.
Some models need to be connected directly to the wireless router using an Ethernet cable. The printer and router must be close to each other to avoid interference and poor signal strength. In order to find out how to properly connect the printer to a wireless network, you need to carefully read the instructions.
In general, for the correct connection of equipment to a computer or laptop, you need to read the instructions, which describe how to properly connect and work with a specific model of a Canon printer or any other device.
Possible problems and their elimination
The most common problems with the system not seeing the printer are:
- Absence or incorrect operation of drivers;
- Disabling the print service;
- Incompatibility of the old operating system with new models of printers;
- Faulty connectors and wires.
Let’s consider the problems and ways to solve them in more detail.
- Defective connectors and wires. To solve this problem, you need to carefully inspect the USB cable and the connectors where it is inserted. If they are dirty, then you can clean them yourself, for this we need an old toothbrush or a cotton swab, which need to gently clean the dust. We plug the USB cable into the connector and connect the printer, check the printer connection, and run a test print. If the computer still does not see the Canon printer, then we try to connect it to a second computer or laptop, install the necessary drivers on it. If in this case the device does not print, then the problem is clearly not in the connectors.
- If the settings fail, you need to check for drivers and install or reinstall them. You also need to check which printer is used by default, sometimes it is enough to mark the printer you need with a tick. Very often, in case of system failures, checkboxes appear in the items “Pause printing” or “work offline”; to resume printing, it is enough to uncheck these checkboxes. The next system error lies in starting the printer. The solution can be as follows. go to the “control panel” on the “administration” tab, then open the “services” submenu. In the window that appears, we find the “print manager” tab and mark the automatic launch type. Reboot your computer and everything should work.
- If you have an old operating system, such as Windows XP or Windows Vista, connecting a modern printer will be extremely problematic. The fact is that it is impossible to find current drivers for such operating systems.
- If all of the above did not help you, then most likely there is a malfunction in the printer itself, the device must be sent for repair to a service center or workshop.
To improve the service life of the device, you must carefully study the instructions for working with the equipment. By following our simple tips, you can avoid many problems.
- Make sure that the USB cable is in good working order, do not bend or pinch it, carefully keep it away from pets. Many domestic animals, especially puppies and kittens, love to chew Not only furniture, but all kinds of wires. To avoid such a nuisance, you can install the device higher or protect the wires with special braids.
- Clean dust and dirt from USB ports periodically. This is necessary not only to improve performance, but also to increase the life of the connector itself.
- DO NOT use different adapters. Many users do not have enough standard connectors for work, so various splitters and other devices are purchased that can increase the number of connectors. Of course, this is not bad, but it is worth remembering that the load on the main connector increases, which can negatively affect its operation.
- The USB cable should not be too long. It should be long enough not to stretch too much and NOT sag too much.
- We install drivers only for the device model that you have and for the operating system that is installed on your computer or laptop. It is also necessary to remember about the timely updating of drivers, the actual update will save you time and nerves.
- After updating your operating system or device drivers, always check which printer is the default. Setting this parameter is the most confusing.
Most often, all malfunctions are eliminated on their own, but if nothing of the recommended did not suit you, and the problem remained unresolved, then you need to contact the specialists to identify possible device malfunctions.
What to do if the computer does not see the Canon printer, see below.