Description and solution of the problem
Users of the Canon i-SENSYS MF3228 multifunctional device, when connected to a Windows 10 computer, may experience an amazing phenomenon. the computer will identify it solely as a scanner and will not be able to print. In order for printing from this device to become available in Windows 10, you must do the following:
- Download the Canon i-SENSYS MF3228 driver for Windows 10 from the official website, and unpack it to any convenient place.
- We go to the Device Manager, and in the “Software Devices” group we find “CanonMF3200 Series”.
Open its properties by double-clicking or right-clicking and selecting the “Properties” menu item that appears.
- In the properties of this device, select “Update driver”.
- Next, select the item “Find drivers on this computer”, then. “Select a driver from the list of available drivers on your computer.” After that. press the “Install from disk” button, and in the window that appears, using the “Browse” button, select the INF file to install the driver. it can be found in the previously downloaded archive from the Canon website.
- After that, in “Devices and Printers” this MFP will acquire the ability to print and scan.
Windows 10 does not see the Canon i-SENSYS MF3228 printer
Was this article helpful??
Comments on article (5)
In general, I got such a “crutch”: If, when trying to scan, a message appears about the absence of a WIA driver, I go to the control panel. devices and printers. I find my printer and “remove device”. I plug the USB cable from the printer and it appears again in the devices ready to scan (right-click. Scan). But the printer most likely will not work, again you will have to put firewood from an offsite. This is such a problem, there is no other way yet.
I am a “happy” owner of this device. After switching to win10, I ran into the following problems: At the first connection of the device, the drivers are detected and automatically installed as on a scanner. But through the scanner application in Windows, it does not work. You have to go to the control panel, devices and printers, right-click on the scanner, Scan. Made a shortcut to the scanner on the desktop. I downloaded firewood from the offsite to the printer, just as described here. The printer is working. Well, I think now the problem is solved, but no! After a while, I needed (as always urgently) a scanner. I poke on the shortcut, and he tells me that the WIA driver is required. Where did he go ?! And in the devices there is no scanner now, but there is a printer. As I understand it, the fate of those who switched to vin10. use either a scanner or a printer?
It’s hard to say what the problem is, but in a typical scenario on Windows 10, there shouldn’t be such problems. I personally have a workplace in service where both the scanner and the printer work. Actually, this article was written using the example of setting it up.
I did as you wrote, but the result. it is defined as a scanner.
You did exactly as written. manually chose to install the driver, indicating the INF file and after that the printer disappeared from the category “Software devices”?
Windows XP PC does not see the printer over the network
It is common knowledge that XP is no longer supported. This means that Microsoft cannot guarantee compatibility with new hardware. In older versions of the OS, information is transmitted via the SMBv1 protocol, with which a dozen no longer work. In some versions of operating systems, it was possible to enable the driver manually, but this does not work for a dozen.
Take comfort in the fact that similar problems arise even at the Pentagon. There is a whole fleet of old PCs running XP. The military is paying Billy billions of dollars to fix the problem. Alternatively, you can try the following solution:
- From the Start menu go to Printers and Faxes.
- Click the Install a printer link to remove the checkbox for automatic port address detection.
- We put instead the desired network path (including the name of the printer).
The second solution is to use the TCPPrint print server emulator software. It is installed on a machine with XP and allows you to connect to the desired resource.
Topic: Windows 10 Can’t See Printer
- The problem when after updating Windows 10 does not see the printer is related to the update itself. Windows 10 itself has a utility that is just responsible for office devices, and will scan the computer to find the reasons why Windows 10 does not see the printer, and how to fix it.
Click Start, open the Troubleshooting section, go to the Hardware and Sound section and click Printer and Next.
This will start scanning for drivers and fixing printer problems. If Windows 10 does not see the printer, it does not appear anywhere, then it must be added manually.
In the lower left corner, click on the notification icon and open All options. Then successively Devices and finally Printers and scanners, where click Add a printer or scanner.
Wait while the system finds it, adds and installs the necessary drivers. Of course, if you have an Internet connection.
Some printer models refuse to work with Windows 10, but major printer manufacturers such as HP, Epson, Canon, Panasonic, Xerox have posted instructions and drivers on their websites if Windows 10 itself does not work. So, if your Windows 10 does not see the HP printer, then you have a direct road to Support HP.
Last edited by Master; 10/06/2016 at 02:09.
Learning to search for software
Sometimes the problem is that the user cannot search. It should be noted that not all devices and printers have suitable software, but in most cases there is still.
- Go to the manufacturer’s website.
- Find the driver search form.
- Enter the name of the device in the line.
- After a while, the available results are displayed. Chances are good that you will find exactly what you need.
- As a rule, the manufacturer provides a wide range of customizable options.
However, in our case, there are no tens. What to do? The speed of updating Windows to new versions is so high that manufacturers simply do not have time to update all software. In this case, some companies provide generic drivers that fit most hardware. If the printer does not work in Windows 10, try this option.
As you can see from the screenshot, in our case the file name is upd-pcl5-x32-220.127.116.1126.exe. We set the corresponding request to Google (site: HP.com upd-pcl5-x32-18.104.22.16826.exe download) and literally on the second page we find the necessary.
The version is not the one listed in the Microsoft discussions, this is a newer version. This is easy to see by looking at the release history. The information presented in the table indicates that the software we have chosen is not the newest. The last release is in October 2016. Will it support laserjet 1010? A huge question mark that you should study the release notes to answer. Try it, and you will surely find what you need, as well as the author of the request, the screen of which is given above in the text.
Driver Installation Wizard Does Not Start
Sometimes the driver is available, but does not want to be installed in any way. Apparently, when the software starts up, it scans the system and finds that the identifier does not match the specified one. In this case, a message appears stating that the OS version is not supported. The problem is precisely that fresh firewood cannot be found with fire during the day. In this case, it is recommended to do the following:
- See if there is any new USB hardware in the device manager without a driver. These are usually marked with question marks or exclamation marks. To enter the device manager, press Win X and select the desired option from the menu.
- Look in the USB section for incorrectly identified devices. The screen is for example only.
- Unzip the driver package to a directory with a known name.
- Right click on the USB device marked with an exclamation mark and update the driver.
- When choosing source, specify search on “this PC”.
- In response to the wizard’s request, specify the directory with the unpacked archive.
Users claim that the printer on Windows 10 is quite worth the available software. Although the wizard, when trying to start, complains about incompatibility (answers.microsoft.com/en-us/Windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/win-10Ч64-ne/e07a2bdb-d576-4754-93c9-545729bb0e70).
What to do if a network printer is not located in Windows 10 Creators Update
Open a command prompt as administrator and enter the command sc config fdphost type = own. then restart the device and search for the printer again. now it should be found.
Windows 10 does not see the printer
It should be noted that the problem manifests itself regardless of the manufacturer of the peripheral device. Users of old HP, Samsung, Epson and Cannon suffer. The PC ceases to see predominantly outdated hardware, for which there are no drivers already suitable for dozens of drivers. Users just can’t run the installer.
Services and components
It is known that the printer sometimes refuses to work, even if the drivers and connections are fine. The whole problem is in the Print Manager service. You just have to run it manually.
- Win R.
- Type services.msc.
- Find the required line in the list, check if the service is running.
- Double click on the name to get more information.
Before connecting the printer, make sure the service is functional. In order not to guess later why the laptop does not see office equipment.
Add hardware manually
- Press Win I.
- Go to devices.
- Click Add
- Search starts.
- You will see for sure that the equipment you need cannot be found. Then click the link Required printer
Select the My printer is pretty old option. Here you can manually enter the network equipment, if it cannot be detected by standard means. We strongly advise against calling Microsoft, but you can try contacting the manufacturer of office equipment.
The computer does not see the printer. Causes and solutions to the problem
If the computer stopped seeing the printer, then in this case you will have to try to find the source of the problem. So why can’t the computer see the printer? Almost every user of office equipment faces a problem of this kind, and first of all, you should check whether the printer is properly connected to the computer.
Most often, it is because of poor contact between the PC and the printer that the computer does not respond to the connected equipment. In this situation (if the connection is via USB), you should remove the cable and reinsert it, and also check the reliability of the existing connection on both sides. Make sure that the USB port where the wire is inserted is working. During the test, connect the cable one by one to all the connectors available in the system unit, having previously disconnected the mouse and keyboard. Perhaps the PC will eventually respond to some of the connectors. Otherwise, you will have to contact the service center, because if the printer is not detected, then the problem may be in it.
The PC does not recognize the printer for five different reasons
Why can’t the computer see the printer? Many users face this problem. And with both devices everything is in order. In addition, the printing equipment can work perfectly on another PC. And when you connect to the right one, it’s buggy. It is not recognized by the system or gives errors. How to fix the problem?
Other possible causes
Another problem may be that on your computer “by default” you have selected completely different equipment for printing. This reason belongs to the category of the most common, but at the same time it is very easy to solve. To do this, after installing the required printing device, click on its icon with the right mouse button, and then put a check mark next to the inscription implying the use of the equipment by default. If the printer is still not detected, i.e. If it is not visible to the computer, then it is possible that the service responsible for automatic printing is disabled on your PC. Go to the “Administrative Tools” menu through the “Control Panel” and then open the “Print Spooler”. Next, find “Startup type” and set it to “Auto”. In general, you don’t need to do anything else in this case.
In addition, some users, due to their absent-mindedness, simply forget to press the power button of the printing device. It is usually located on the side or back, i.e. not in the most convenient place. Therefore, before proceeding with the consideration of the above reasons, you should make sure that the device is actually turned on and the indicator on its case is on.
Thus, if you are interested in the answer to the question of what to do if the computer does not see the printer, then you should not immediately fork out for the services of the masters. You can cope with this relatively easy problem with a competent approach on your own. You should contact the service center as a last resort, if none of the above helped you and the printer is still not visible on the network.
The reason is that the device is not the default
The reason why the computer does not see the printer may be the presence of not one, but two or more printing devices, which is relevant for a local network, or when installing the drivers, the operating system simply did not assign a default printing device. In either case, the problem is solved simply.
An example is given on Windows 7. Open the “Start” menu and select the “Devices and Printers” item. Next, in the list of displayed devices that opens, select the one we need. It doesn’t matter if it’s a network printer or a local one. Click on its shortcut with the right mouse button and in the context menu that appears, click on “Use as default”.
Viruses and system file recovery
If the computer does not see the printer and it does not normally connect to the device, then be sure to check the PC for viruses and other unwanted programs. In addition to antiviruses, it is advisable to use special utilities for this purpose, which have a narrow specialization.
It is possible that system files were damaged in your OS during operation or under the influence of malicious applications. Try to restore them in any available way. After the work done, install all updates that are important for the system and check if the described actions helped to solve the main task. If nothing has changed much, then it would be nice to reinstall the operating system.
The reason is poor contact of the USB interface
Not to say that this reason was the most popular, but it has a place to be. As a rule, the interface cable supplied with the printing device is difficult to break down, using it as intended and properly. This will require unthinkable manipulations with it on bends, bends and other mechanical influences. But you must admit that the printer is a stationary device that requires a one-time connection. Therefore, wire breakage in the cable is unlikely.
Another thing is the loss of contact in the computer connector. But again, if the computer at some point stopped seeing the printer, which had been working properly before, and you did not take any action to reinstall them, then with a greater degree of probability it can be argued that this is not the reason either.
However, before you find out why the computer does not see the printer, taking drastic measures, this probability must be checked.
To get started, simply re-plug the cable in the connectors of both devices. If the problem persists, then connect the printing device via USB to another PC or laptop with the same cable. If it is successfully recognized as a new device, we can conclude that the reason is most likely of the software nature of your PC.
Sometimes a computer or laptop cannot see the printer via USB due to a faulty cable or port, or a bad connection.
- Disconnect the device cable at both ends and then reconnect.
- Check if the USB connector is working properly. Try to connect another device through it: for example, a keyboard or mouse.
- Try connecting the printer to a different USB port.
- If possible, replace the cable.
Also make sure the printer is turned on. Some devices have the power button on the back or side, and users simply forget to press it. Sometimes the computer does not see the printer via USB due to such a trifle, and the solution of the issue takes literally one minute.
How to fix the problem with the built-in diagnostic tool
Developers from Microsoft Corporation have included in the top ten a tool that is responsible for solving various malfunctions in the connected printer. How to start and use it, we will describe in detail:
- The classic way to launch is through the “Control Panel”. You can open it through “Start” or hold down R and Windows, type the word control in an empty line and click on OK. Enter the command control and click on OK
- Find the block dedicated to troubleshooting on the panel. If you have problems finding, use the line with the magnifying glass icon in the upper right corner of the screen. In the panel, open the “Troubleshooting” section
- Click on the second line from the left to view all categories. Click on “View All Categories”
- Wait until the end of the search for all built-in diagnostic programs available for the “dozen”. Wait for the system to find all the packages for diagnostics
- Click on the “Printer” utility (located almost at the end of the list) to launch the tool. Click on the “Printer” link
- The same tool in Windows 10 can be opened through the Settings menu. you can launch it using the hot combination of I and Windows or through the Start panel (under the profile picture there is a gear icon). Open “Settings” via “Start”
- Go to the tile to update and configure PC security. Go to the “Security Update”
- The fourth tab will be devoted to the same diagnostic utilities. Find the line “Printer” in the list. click on it once. Find the line “Printer”
- Click on the large gray button to launch the tool. Run a utility to diagnose printer problems
- Wait for the utility to complete the initial analysis. Wait while troubleshooting
- If you have multiple printers, the tool will ask you to specify which printing device you need to diagnose. Select and click on “Next”. Select the printer you are having a problem with, if necessary
- If a problem is identified, the tool will either try to apply the solution on its own, or it will ask you to confirm the given solution in advance by clicking on the “Apply this fix” link. Apply the suggested fix
- As a result, you will see a small report. be sure to read it. If all problems are corrected, re-send to print to check if the printer is working. Read the test results
Add the printer manually
As a rule, the “operating system” itself loads the necessary components for devices from official resources when it detects new devices. However, any system can fail. in this case, you need to know how to do everything manually. Let’s add the printing device ourselves through the menu with parameters:
- Expand the Options menu interface using any of the methods described in the section above in this article. Launching the device setup tile.
- We pass to the second block for scanners and printers. Click on the plus sign to add a new device. In the “Printers and Scanners” section, click on “Add”
- We are waiting for the search for available printers to complete. In this case, your printer must be correctly connected to the PC and turned on. The “operating system” can find the device itself and add it. Wait while searching for available printers
- If nothing is found, click on the link “Required printer”. If the system does not find a printer, click on the link “Required printer”
- In the new window, select one of the items depending on the type of connection (Bluetooth, network connection by IP address, etc.). For example, let’s choose a local or network printer with manual parameters. Click on “Next”. Select the last item and click on “Next”
- Select a port in the first drop-down menu or create a new one. Click on “Next”. Select the desired port from the menu
- In the first list, we highlight our manufacturer. In our case, this is Toshiba. In the second field, click once on your printer model. Find your printer model in the window
- If you have a disk with drivers, click on the “Install from disk” button and insert the disk into the drive. If there is no disk, just click on “Next”. Insert the driver disc, if you have one
- On the next page in the add wizard, write the name of the printer and click on “Next” again. Enter the name of the printer
- We are waiting for the printer to install. Wait for printer installation to complete
- If necessary, enable general access to the printer. Share your printer if desired
- As a result, we get a message about the successful installation of the printer and “firewood” to it. Click on “Print a test page”. Click on “Finish”
See if everything is connected correctly and if there are any physical defects
Before performing any procedures, you need to make sure that the printer and the USB cable have no external mechanical defects, and that everything is connected correctly:
- Make sure that the printer is on, if necessary, turn it on (the indicator on the case should light up). If the light is off, the printer is most likely broken. A light next to or on the power button should be on. it means the printer is on
- Restart your computer, sometimes it can help.
- Check the contact of the printer cord with the PC and the printing device, make sure that the plugs are firmly inserted into the corresponding connectors. Connect the wire to the printer and PC correctly
- Examine the cord itself for physical damage. Carefully inspect the cord itself and the plugs on both sides
- Also, make sure your PC’s USB connectors are functional (plug some other device into them) and are not clogged with dust.
- Try plugging the printer cord into a different port on your computer.
If everything is in order with the connections, the indicator is on, perhaps the printer drivers have flown or there was some kind of failure in the “operating system”.
Download the printer driver from the official resource
If you could not add a printer or find your model of a printing device in the menu and you do not have a driver disk, which usually comes with the device, find out the exact model of the printer (the information should be located right on the device panel), open the manufacturer’s official resource, find there is your model. download “firewood” from this page and install them using the downloaded installer. Let’s look at the procedure using the example of a printer driver from Epson:
- We open the official website of Epson. We set the type of devices “Printers and MFPs”. In the second drop-down menu, we indicate the model of the printed device. Click on “Search”. On the Epson website, select the type of product and its model
- Expand the “Drivers and Utilities” menu. Open the “Drivers and Utilities” menu
- In the menu, select your version of the “operating system”. Choose your OS version
- Click on the blue “Download” button opposite the “Printer Driver”. Download the printer driver
- Open the downloaded driver archive through the “Downloads” panel. Run the downloaded archive with drivers
- We open the folder with the Russian version and the directory with the required system bit depth. find the setup.exe file and run it with a double click. Open the setup file
- Click OK to continue configuring the installation. Click on OK to start the installation wizard
- Select the exact model and click on OK. Select your device model
- Install the desired port. in our case, this is USB. If desired, mark the item for defining this printer as the default printing device. Select a port and click on OK
- In the field, indicate your printer name or use the model name. click on OK. Give your printer any name
- We are waiting for the end of the installation. during the installation process, the printer must be connected to the PC. Wait for the installation to complete
If the listed methods did not work for you, try the following solutions:
- Update the USB controller drivers in the “Device Manager” and check if the USB itself is enabled in the BIOS settings.
- Activate Auto Print Service.
- Check PC for viruses with installed antivirus and portable security software (AVZ, Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool and others).
- Restore the integrity of system files in the “Command Prompt” by executing special formulas, for example, sfc / scannow.
If these methods do not help, most likely, we are talking about a hardware failure of the printing device itself. In this case, take the printer to a service center to fix the problem. If the printer can be repaired, it will be repaired. Otherwise, you need to think about buying a new one. If you are connecting a printer to this Windows 10 PC for the first time and the system does not want to see it, it is possible that this device is simply not supported by your OS version.
What to do if Windows 10 stopped seeing the printer: fix the problem
The user may need to once again print any important document on the printer. However, suddenly, when trying to perform an operation, the user discovers that printing does not start and the PC basically does not see the device, although the devices are correctly connected via a USB cable or otherwise (via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth) and everything seems to be functioning. How to quickly get your Windows 10 printer back online?
If a PC with “Windows” 10 suddenly stopped seeing your printing device, its drivers may have flown. try adding the device again in the “Parameters” or install the drivers manually using the installation disc that comes with the kit, or through the official resource of the manufacturer. Before that, it is recommended to check the operability of the printer itself (whether the indicator next to the power button is on), the correctness of the connection, and also run the tool to troubleshoot the printer in the “operating system”.
Another print device selected
If you are not connecting the printer to your computer via USB, you should check if other printers and devices are connected to your PC. Then you need to go to “Start”. “Control Panel”. “Devices and Printers”.
Right-click on the desired print device and “Set as default”.
Disabled print service
Sometimes the computer does not see the printer when the print service is disabled, so the printer refuses to print. You can fix the problem by going to “Start”. “Control Panel”. “Administrative Tools”. Find “Services” in the list and double-click.
Next, select “Print Manager”, just click on it twice.
In the services table, you need to make sure that “Running” is listed in the “Status” column. If not, then click on the “Start” button and select “Automatic” in the “Startup type” field. Then at the bottom click on the “Apply” button, then on “OK”.
What to do when your computer or laptop doesn’t recognize or see your printer
There are several reasons why the computer does not see the printer. These include a hardware problem with the product, or problems with the cartridges or the ink supply system. There are situations when the computer (PC) does not see or has stopped seeing the printer despite the fact that both devices are working normally.
There can be many sources of the problem with any printer HP, Canon, Samsung, Epson and others, so you should first determine the malfunction, and then look for a solution.
Damaged USB cable or connector
The next reason why a computer or laptop does not see the printer is a damaged USB cable or connector. In this case, you should disconnect all computer peripherals and insert the cable one by one into all USB ports on the computer. Each time you connect, you need to wait a little while the system responds: a sound signal or an alert on the monitor.
The next step in the case when the computer or printer Windows 7, 8, 10 does not see the printer is to check for the presence of drivers and their correct installation. As a rule, all the necessary software is included with the printer. In this case, it will not be difficult to install the drivers following the instructions. If there are no drivers, then you can download the necessary software from the manufacturer’s official website. But first you need to check the compatibility of the firmware and hardware of the personal computer.
But sometimes the drivers crash and start behaving incorrectly. There is a solution here too.
First you need to find the printer: “Start”. “Control Panel”. “Device Manager”. Right-click on the icon of the printing device found in the list, a context menu appears. Click “Properties”.
If in the “General” section it is written that the device is working normally, then the malfunction is in something else. And if there is an error, then the drivers need to be removed and reinstalled.
In order to remove the firmware, you need to go to the “Driver” tab and click “Remove”.
After that, install the driver again from the disk or download the software from the Internet and install, after that the error when the computer does not see the driver should be eliminated.
The most common reason why the computer cannot see the printer via USB is the wrong connection. You must first make sure whether the printing device is connected to a PC or laptop at all. If this is not the reason, then you need to pull out the USB cable from both devices and insert it into the connectors again until it stops.
Some modern printers use USB 3.0 for connectivity, while most computers use 2.0 connectors. It is worth considering this, read the instructions for connecting.
Automatic printing enabled
In some cases, automatic printing is enabled on a Windows 10 PC. This setting can be found under System and Security in Control Panel. Then select “Administration”. “Services”. “Print Manager”, right-click on it to bring up a menu where you can select “Properties”. Here the startup type should be selected with the value “automatic” and the state. “running”.
Operating system crash
If all of the above methods did not help, then a failure in the operating system remains. In this case, you will have to diagnose Windows. The reasons for the failure can be:
- the presence of viruses in the system;
- blocking by antivirus;
- incorrect BIOS settings.
To find out if there are viruses on your computer, you should scan it for viruses using antivirus software. over, it is better to check with several tools, launching them in turn. This provides a more reliable check.
Sometimes antiviruses themselves block the work of certain processes, mistakenly “thinking” that a virus is running, so they can also conflict with the printer drivers. To avoid such a conflict, you just need to turn off the antivirus while installing the drivers.
With the help of BIOS, you can configure the components of the system unit and other important parameters. Sometimes the BIOS itself may be incorrectly configured, which is fraught with incorrect operation of the USB ports. Having launched the BIOS, you need to check the state of the ports. You need to focus on the names of options such as USB Function, Legacy USB Port and USB Controller Mode. Then you need to turn on the controller and select “Exit and Save Changes”.