How to connect a printer to a laptop, computer, nettop
Printing equipment such as printers and multi-tasking MFPs are peripheral devices that connect to the computer externally. It would seem, what can be difficult in connecting and configuring them? However, the question is how to connect the printer to a laptop, computer, nettop, etc. still relevant.
According to statistics, most often it occurs among inexperienced users who purchased a printing device in a used state, which, due to its solid service life, does not have drivers compatible with the modern operating system accompanied by it, or they are simply absent as such. And to be honest, for some, connecting the printer to a computer, even if there is an installation disk with working drivers, is a problem. Let’s take a closer look at how to connect a printer to a computer in all available ways.
Upon purchase, you will find a USB cable included with the device. After connecting the printing equipment to the laptop using a cable, the operating system will automatically detect it and offer to install the necessary drivers. This function is provided for all types of Windows, except for the oldest ones, so problems should not arise, and if they appear, the OS will offer a solution.
Some people are worried about the question, is it possible to connect a printer without a software disk? There are two ways to do this:
- Windows Update. installation of basic programs for copying and printing. Unfortunately, additional options will not be available to you.
- If you want not just to print, but to work with color and adjust the design, then it is recommended to download the drivers yourself.
It is much easier to understand the principles of installing printing equipment, what parts are needed for this, how to print from a laptop to a printer, by seeing the visual instruction video below. This will help avoid common mistakes during setup. After viewing, users will have no questions left and they can start working.
I think you shouldn’t focus on connecting the printing device to the power supply. Everyone will understand this moment, because it is no more difficult to turn on any household electrical appliance. We, however, should be more interested in how the printer is connected to a computer or laptop via a USB interface. It would seem that even here, what can be difficult? But, as practice shows, in this process, minor nuances may arise. The fact is that today all new computers, laptops, nettops are equipped with a modern USB 3.0 interface. Based on this, manufacturers of printing devices, trying to keep up with these trends, also equip their products with it.
In addition to the higher speed indicators of data transfer, this interface still has some external differences. Unlike its predecessor, it is marked in blue. Therefore, if a printing device and a computer, laptop, nettop, etc. are equipped with USB 3.0 ports, then it is advisable to connect them by plugging the cable into the appropriate connectors.
Manual driver installation
The first step is to disconnect the printer from the laptop and do not connect it until you have installed the appropriate driver. Otherwise, there may be some problems.
Find out your printer model. You can find this information in the instruction manual, on the box or on the printer body itself.
Further, to make it clearer, consider the process of finding and downloading a driver using the example of the HP CE461A printer:
- open a browser and enter the name of the manufacturer of your printer into the search engine, in our case it is HP;
- in most cases, the first line of the search engine will give the official website of the desired company, but nevertheless carefully check the address before clicking on it;
- after that, on the website, go to the “Programs and drivers” section;
- enter the name of your printer in the line “Product name or number” and click the “Search for a product” button;
- select the version of your operating system and its bitness;
- then open the “Driver” tab and click the “Download” button.
Once the download is complete, launch the driver and follow the installation instructions.
Installing a Printer Using Windows Update
It should be noted right away that if you install the printer using Windows Update, you will be able to use only standard actions. scanning and printing. Additional functions such as imaging and color adjustments before printing will not be available.
If it doesn’t, do the following:
- run a search in Windows and type in the line “Devices and Printers”;
- right-click on the icon corresponding to your computer and then click on Windows Update;
- in the window that opens, click on the button “Check for updates”.
Thus, in addition to possible system updates, the software will be searched for all new connected devices.