The computer does not see the printer. What to do?
There can be many reasons for this, respectively, the same number of solutions. Let’s consider the main reasons, dividing them into 3 stages: from the simplest and most harmless to the most difficult.
Most often, one of the tips above helps. But if the printer still does not print, proceed to the next steps.
- Check that this particular printer. in our case, the HP LaserJet P1102. is installed by default. This is done through the “Start”, “Devices and Printers” button. Perhaps a different device is assigned by default. Just move the checkmark to the one you want. In the same window, check if the boxes “Pause printing” and “Work offline” are not ticked. If they are, we shoot.
- Make sure the correct driver is installed. You had to install it either from a boot disk or download it from the official website (in our case, download it for LaserJet P1102!) It happens that the disk already contains an outdated driver version, so the download is more reliable. You can read more about this in the article How to install and configure the HP LaserJet, which provides step-by-step installation instructions for Windows and Mac.
- It is possible that there are viruses on the computer that interfere with correct operation. You should find out if this is so with the help of special anti-virus programs such as Dr.Web, Kaspersky or similar. over, it is worth using not the program that you have, but another.
- Just restarting your computer is sometimes enough.
- Turn off, disconnect from the computer, and then reconnect the printing device.
- Check if the USB port to which you connected the device cable is working. Sometimes the port turns out to be polluted and you need to clean it corny.
- Use a different USB cable. Often a thin cable is included in the factory kit, which does not cope with the load and wears out quickly. This tip is especially relevant for a used device. Take a thick cable, in which the copper “filling” will also be thicker and, accordingly, more conductive. Pay attention to the length of the cable: it should be no more than 3 meters. this is advice from the manufacturer.
A frayed cable can cause printer errors on the system
- You have followed all the recommended steps, but your brand new HP LaserJet P1102 is still not working? Try connecting it to another computer. If the story is the same there, we advise you to contact the service center. obviously, the device needs repair. Although it should be noted that HP technology is quite reliable and does not happen often.
- In some cases, it happens that the updated driver is not installed. In this case, the printing device is connected to other computers, and it works correctly, while all the steps from the list above have been carried out. Experts advise in this situation to think about reinstalling the operating system. But this is an extreme case, as a rule, simpler methods help.
HP LaserJet P1102 not seeing computer or cartridge. how to fix the problem
Usually, installing a printer is not a problem: you install the drivers, connect it mechanically. and you’re done, you can print. But sometimes such a simple scheme fails and gives errors, for example, the computer does not see the printing device, or the device does not see the cartridge. Let’s consider how to solve these problems, using the example of the common and popular model of the HP LaserJet P1102 printer.
The printer does not see the cartridge. What to do?
- First of all, check if the brand of the cartridge matches the brand of the printing device. We are considering an example with an HP LaserJet P1102 printer, therefore, the cartridge must be HP and compatible with the specified model.
- Try rebooting your device. in most cases this helps.
- Remove and reinsert the cartridge. Check that you have inserted evenly and completely, until a characteristic click.
- Take out the cartridge and check if the contacts on it and in the compartment for it are dirty. Wipe them with a lint-free cloth, either special for the care of office equipment, or ordinary household. You can moisten a napkin with alcohol.
- If a new cartridge is used, check that all of the protective film has been removed from it.
- Check the chip. It may be dirty or out of place. So. we wipe and level. If the cartridge has been used for a long time, the chip may be worn out or damaged. In this case, you need to replace it.
- A cartridge that has been used for a long time could have worn out contacts. There is only one way out. to buy a new one.
After reading the article, you can surely be able to deal with the problems of your printer. Be careful when following the instructions and take good care of the equipment, then it will serve you for a long time and regularly. We remind you that we considered the HP LaserJet P1102 printer as an example, but our instructions in most cases will be relevant for other HP models, as well as for other manufacturers.
Why the computer does not see the printer
There can be several reasons why the computer does not see the printer. In this article we will look at them and try to solve the current problem.
First, check the cable. which the printer is connected to the computer. If it is not broken anywhere and the wires are not exposed, then pay attention to how the plugs sit in the ports of the computer and printer. To ensure good contact, they should not dangle, you can still move them a little. Now turn on the printer using the switch located on it. This should illuminate the red or green indicator light on the front of the printer body.
The next thing to do is check the installed drivers on the computer. To do this, go to “Start”. “Control Panel”. “Device Manager”. Then we look for a printer in the list. I don’t have it connected, so I’ll show it on another device. Click on it with the right mouse button and go to “Properties”.
On the “General” tab, we look at the state of the device. If it says the same thing as in the picture below. everything is fine. If not, you need to reinstall the drivers. In some cases, even if the system reports that the drivers are working fine, it is better to uninstall and reinstall them.
Now you need to install the printer drivers. Upon purchase, an installation disc is always included in the kit. We insert it into the drive and go through all the installation steps. There is nothing difficult in this. If, for any reason, you do not have a disk, then the drivers can be downloaded from the Internet.
To do this, go to the official website of the manufacturer of your printer: HP, Canon, Samsung and others. Then go to the “Support” section. Here we select the device itself, its subtype and model. Then click “Select”.
Then click on the link “Universal printer driver”. then click “Save”. Run the downloaded installation file on your computer and install the drivers.
For HP printers, the site looks like this. Here you need to go to “Support Service”. “Software and Drivers”. Then enter your printer model and click “Search for a product”. You will be offered drivers, select the appropriate one and click “Download”.
This completes the driver installation. Then go to “Start”. “Control Panel”. “Devices and Printers”.
Here, in the “Printers and Faxes” section, your printer should be displayed.
In the event that several printers are connected to your computer. select the one you need, right-click on it from the menu, select “Use as default”.
Then in the same menu go to “Printer properties”. On the “Advanced” tab, check that the marker is next to the item “Always available”.
Another reason why the computer does not see the printer may be a disabled print service. To do this, go to “Start”. “Control Panel”. “Administrative Tools”. Here we double-click on the item “Services”.
In the next window, look for the item “Print Manager” and click on it with the mouse twice.
Here, see that in the “Status” item it says “Running”. If you have the “Run” button active. click on it. Then in the field “Startup type” from the drop-down menu select “Automatic”. Click “Apply” and “OK”.
I think you have succeeded and you will be able to print the required document without any problems.
Running the troubleshooter
Running the troubleshooter is not always effective, but it is extremely easy to implement because everything is done by Windows itself. It is designed to check for basic problems caused by malfunctioning system components.
Open Start and launch the Settings app by clicking on the gear icon.
In the list of available sections go to Troubleshoot.
From the diagnostic tools present, you need a “Printer”.
After clicking on this line, a list of actions will open, where there is only one button. “Run the troubleshooter”.
You will be asked to diagnose your printer model. It is not detected by the computer, so we select the option “The printer is not in the list” and go to the next step.
The scan will continue, and upon completion, a diagnostic report will appear on the screen. If problems are found, most likely they will be fixed automatically and you can connect the printing equipment normally.
In the event that the performed check did not bring the desired result, go to the following methods.
Adding a device to the list of printers
Sometimes the problem is on the surface and lies in the fact that the operating system, for some reason, cannot independently add HP hardware to the list of printers. Then you need to do this manually by choosing one of the existing options. The easiest way is to start scanning in the “Printers and Scanners” section or go to manual adding, about which read the article below.
In it you will also find a solution to problems related to the display of printers in the list.
Checking the connection
First of all, you need to make sure that you have made the correct connection of the printing equipment to the computer. To do this, check all cables and make sure the printer itself is turned on. If you encounter difficulties with the connection or you have never encountered this action before, refer to a separate article on our website for help, where you will find a description of all the stages of this procedure.
This also includes the lack of drivers, because the operating system does not always automatically picks up and installs them, carrying out the normal functioning of the device. Sometimes you will need to do the installation yourself, and if you have not done so already, install the software by following the instructions from the article at the link below, or find a manual for a specific printer model from HP by using the search on our website.
Enabling the Print Manager Service
Only one service is responsible for managing printing in Windows, and if it is disabled, the printers will be suspended. The problem diagnostic tool described above checks this service, but it is not always able to activate it, so you need to change the setting yourself.
Open “Services”, for example, by finding this application through the “Start” menu.
Find “Print Manager” in the list and double-click on this line with the left mouse button.
Change the startup type to Automatic and then enable the service if it is disabled.
Usually, there are no problems starting this service, since there are not many related parameters in the OS that can prevent it from doing so. However, if the “Print Manager” failed to start, check the PC for viruses, and in the case of using an unlicensed version of the OS, make sure that this service has not been removed by the creator.
Resolve the error “Local printing subsystem is not running
The last error that can appear when trying to install a printer is accompanied by the notification “Local printing subsystem is not running.” In such cases, the user needs to check a number of different ways to correct the situation. They were described in a detailed article by another author on our website, which you can go to by clicking on the following title.
Even after solving the connection problem, sometimes other errors related to the printing of the printer appear. If you managed to figure out the display of the device in the OS, but still cannot send the document to print, read the thematic material at the link below.
Is the system functioning normally??
It is not uncommon for the computer to not see the scanner due to a system failure. In most cases, you have to return the PC to factory settings in order to solve the problem with the incorrect operation of the scanner. Many users note that this method almost always works, but not every person decides on it.
Sometimes rebooting the hardware and computer is enough.
Is the connection OK?
Typically, the problem described occurs because the cable is damaged or incorrectly inserted. First of all, you need to check whether the connection is reliable, whether the correct USB connector is used, whether it is working. You can try plugging the cable into the port where the mouse or keyboard is connected. Some printers have a power button hidden on the back of the case. You need to press it. If the connection still does not appear, then you should proceed to the second method of solving the problem.
Are the drivers installed?
The computer does not see the Canon (or any other company) scanner if the correct drivers are not installed on it. Sometimes they can be wrong. In order to reinstall them, you should use the disk that came with the scanner. If for some reason it is not there, then you can use the official website of the technique. The manufacturer must load drivers for it. It is important to choose the right ones that fit both the hardware and the operating system. If the drivers are installed, but they do not work correctly, then before reinstalling them, you need to uninstall the original version.
What are the settings?
Sometimes the computer does not see the scanner due to certain settings. It may be that another device is assigned by default. You need to go to the settings, to the list of equipment. After that, you should find the name of the scanner and click on it with the right mouse button. In the menu you need to select “Use as default”. Sometimes this method is effective.
In the event that the problem remains unresolved, you should double-click on the name of the device. After that, you need to select the “Scanner” tab and uncheck (if any) next to the “Offline work” and “Stop scanning” settings. It is advisable to clear the queue at the same time.
Are the ports healthy?
Sometimes there is a problem with the ports. In order to check them, it is enough to connect something else (keyboard, mouse). If another technique works. then the problem is in the scanner. If it does not work, you will have to take the PC for repair, and this will require additional funds.
What to do if the computer does not see the scanner, MFP?
Quite often, users contact the service center with the following problem: the computer does not see the scanner / MFP. Due to the fact that the problem is popular, there are a large number of options for solving it. Below are five effective ways.
If your computer can’t see the scanner, don’t despair. Before you start to panic, you need to make sure that the cable is working and connected correctly. The printer must also be operational. If there is a need to download and further install the drivers, you must be sure to read every word during installation. Usually there is written instructions and what actions the user needs to perform. When installing, be sure to pay attention to the compliance of the drivers with the system and technology, otherwise the problem with inoperability may remain relevant. If the methods did not help, it is better to contact the service center.
Before taking the device to professionals, it is still necessary to try all the above methods. they will not cause any damage to the equipment. You may be able to fix the problem yourself.