Server OS update
We will not go into technical details. The essence of the problem. On some versions of Windows server OS, the following problem was observed. The printer was offline. At the same time, all the parameters were configured correctly, the network worked, and there were no visible problems. But the device periodically and spontaneously switched to the “Autonomous work” mode. This problem is solved by installing an update.
After installation, the problem no longer occurs.
Restarting the print service
But it may also happen that everything is in order with the printer itself, but the service responsible for printing, for some reason, turned off or failed.
In this case, you need to call the services section using the services.msc command entered in the Run (WinR) console, find the corresponding service (Print Manager or Printer Spooler) there, stop it, disconnect the printer from the mains for about 60 seconds, then start the service again and turn on the device itself.
The printer is turned off, how to turn it on. Solving the problem with the device status
If the computer writes a message that the printer is not connected, then do not rush to get upset, because this problem is quite common and widespread, and therefore any competent user of office equipment can solve it. Of course, if none of the recommendations below helps you, then the following remains. call an experienced and knowledgeable master to your home or take your device to a service center on your own.
Using fixer utilities
Some users and experts recommend the use of special programs that allow you to fix problems of this kind automatically.
In the simplest case, a small Fix It Center utility from Microsoft is recommended for use, but for a more complete diagnosis and elimination of problems with printers of any type, the HP Print And Scan Doctor program is suitable.
So let’s figure out how to turn off the offline printer mode. Most often, this can be achieved by simply unchecking this checkbox from the settings. Let’s do this using Windows 7 as an example.
We go to “Start”, then “Devices and Printers”. Find your printer in the list of connected devices, and double-click on it.
As you can see in the picture, the status bar has the status “Work offline”. This is just our case.
Now we press the “Printer” button in the menu bar, and uncheck the corresponding checkbox.
The printer should now be in the Ready state. You can try to print the document.
On other versions of the Windows operating system, the process is similar.
SNMP status enabled
This checkbox must be unchecked in the network printer settings. Go to properties, then the Ports tab, and check it out. If it is installed. take away.
After that, the printer should return to the “Ready” state.
Fixing driver problems
Also, it is not uncommon for the system message to appear about the disabled status of the printer to be observed in the event of problems with the drivers (obsolescence, malfunctions, file corruption, etc.).
In this situation, you will have to completely remove the drivers from the system, at least from the same “Device Manager”. If they are displayed among the installed programs, it is better to uninstall from the programs and components section. After that, the best solution would be to download the latest driver from the equipment manufacturer’s website and then install it.
You can do it even easier. If the driver is really out of date, or simply does not match the device type, you can use automated driver update programs like Driver Booster.
Status: “Printer disabled”. How to enable (Windows 7, device settings)?
But more often than not, problems are associated with software glitches or incorrect settings. To begin with, understanding the question of how to change the status of the printer “Disabled” (how to turn on the device), you need to look at its state and the set parameters.
In the standard “Control Panel” you need to go to the printers and faxes section, in which you first need to find the desired printer and make sure that the device for printing is set by default.
Next, in the device status window, you need to use the “Printer” menu and uncheck the lines for paused printing (delayed printing) and using the offline mode, if any. In theory, after that the state will change to “Ready”. Clearing the print queue sometimes helps.
- Disconnect the power cable and USB cable from the machine.
- Wait at least 10 seconds. At this time, restart the system on the computer.
- Check the dye level, looks inside the case to exclude foreign objects, jammed paper or scraps of paper from getting into the middle.
- Check the integrity of the case and the inside.
- Eliminate all found problems.
- Plug the USB wire and power cord back in.
- Now you can turn on the printer. Only the green button on the case should be lit, which indicates that the printer is in ready mode.
If the technique is equipped with an automatic system for switching to sleep mode, the user could take “sleep” for a disabled state. And instead of clicking the sleep button, I pressed the shutdown button. In this case, it is enough to turn on the device again.
The problem might be with the printer settings. Let’s describe the sequence of actions for changing the status on computers with the operating system Windows 10 and earlier 7 and 8 versions.
You can press the key combination on the WinR keyboard and enter the Control Printers command.
Possible reasons for the “Disabled” status
As in most cases, problems can arise both due to system failures and changes in Windows settings, and in connection with physical problems connecting the printer to the computer, hardware failures.
- The printing device is not wired to the computer, the cable is damaged or defective.
- Offline mode turned on by mistake.
Most often, the problem occurs with the equipment of the brands HP, Canon and Epson.
Fixing driver problems
Offline status appears due to driver malfunction. They could be damaged by both viruses and unwary users. Drivers can be damaged if you update them and the computer OS from unreliable sources.
If the drivers are damaged, the installation will have to be done again.
It is recommended to take the software only from the disc that came with the equipment, or download it from the official website of the manufacturer of the printing equipment. To ensure that the printer does not have conflicts with new software, before downloading, make sure that the driver is suitable for your model, the version of Windows you are using, and the bit of the system.
It is recommended to completely remove the printer driver from the system before installing again.
When the drivers are downloaded, follow the aLGorithm below.
- Open “Start”.
- Click “Control Panel”.
- Choose “Device Manager”.
- Find your own from all the equipment and open the menu by pressing RMB.
- Select “Update Drivers”.
- Select Computer Search.
- Specify the path to the downloaded file or installation disk.
- Follow all the recommendations of the Installation Wizard.
- After installation, restart your computer.
Restarting the print service
The “Print Manager” or Spooler service in Windows manages all printers, print jobs and their execution. If the status says that the printer is disabled, although it is enabled, restarting the service will correct the state.
- Press WinR at the same time.
- In the window that opens, enter “services.msc”.
- In the list of services that appears, find the one you need and restart it, as shown in the image below.
In Windows 10, services can be accessed through the “Management” item of the context menu of the “Computer” icon.
Disabled network printer
The problem may lie in the allowed management via SNMP protocol, which leads to the appearance of the “Disabled” status on the screen.
- In the already familiar item “Devices and Printers”, open the menu of the required equipment by clicking on the RMB.
- Click on “Properties”.
- Find the required port and click on “Configure Port”. : which port to choose for the printer.
After following the described recommendations, the status in the “Print Management” section from “Disabled” goes to “Ready”
Using fixer utilities
If you cannot restart the print service or reinstall the drivers, special utilities can help you change the printer status.
Of the free ones for fixing the status, you can highlight the Fix It Center from Microsoft. Download software only at the office. site. No skills required to use.
Printer manufacturers also have their own developments:
- HP. HP Print and Scan Doctor;
- Canon. Canon My Print.
What does it mean?
If in the normal state of the printer the message “Disconnected” appears on it, this is a problem, as this status should appear only when you disconnect the device from the power supply. Most often, in this case, users immediately try to restart the printer, turn it on and off, but this does not help to cope with the task, but, on the contrary, can only make it worse.
For example, if this printer is located in an office where several devices are connected by the same network, then when one device is rebooted, all the others will also receive the “Disabled” status, and the problems will intensify.
If several printers in the same room simultaneously receive the “Print” command, but do not execute it due to the “Disabled” status, there may be several reasons for this.
- There was a violation of the software printing process, any system settings for information output were lost. And also one or more devices could be infected with a virus.
- Physical harm was done to the device, which disabled it, the internal structure was damaged.
- The paper is jammed or the supply of toner (if the printer is inkjet), or powder (if the printer is laser) has run out. In this case, everything is clear: the program specifically protects your device from possible damage.
- Offline mode was connected.
- Dirty cartridges, toner out.
- The print service has stopped.
Restarting the print service
It is possible that the printer, in general, does not have any damage or failures in the settings, and the problem itself arose precisely because of the malfunctioning of the print service. Then you need to restart the print service in the menu section, which you will find there.
To do this, you need to enter the services command. msc (this can be done in the section called “Run”, or simply by using the WinR buttons). Next, you need to find the “Print Manager” section, in some cases Printer Spooler (the name depends on the type of device, sometimes it may differ), and disconnect the device from the power for a minute, and then turn it on.
If multiple printers are working at once, turn off any devices that have this problem. After a few minutes, turn them back on.
Many modern systems will automatically diagnose themselves and get rid of the last problem that arose, you don’t even have to do anything.
Fixing driver problems
Perhaps the reason is in the drivers (they are outdated, their work is broken, some files are damaged). To understand that the problem is in the driver, you need to go to “Start”, then to “Devices and Printers” and find your device there. If an exclamation mark appears, which indicates that an error has occurred in the software, or you could not find your printer next to the driver, it is worth performing a series of actions.
- Try updating your drivers. To do this, you need to completely exclude them from the system, remove them from the “Device Manager”. If the drivers are displayed in the programs that are installed, you need to go to “Programs and Features” and remove them from there.
- Then insert the software disc into the drive. This disc must be included with the device when you buy it. If this disk is not left, find the latest driver on the official website of the device, download it and install it. It should be noted that, as a rule, all the latest drivers for modern devices are quite easy to use and represent an archive. However, when you download it, it will contain many files. In order to download them, you need to open the “Devices and Printers” section, where you can get by clicking on “Start”, as already mentioned. Then you need to click on “Install. add local” and do everything as indicated in the instructions. Do not forget to indicate on the disk into which folder you unpacked the drivers downloaded before. After that, you just need to restart both the printer and the computer, and then check the status of the computer. If you turned it on, and it still shows that the printer is turned off, the problem is something else.
- There is an even simpler solution: if the driver has really become quite old or no longer fits your type of device, try using special programs to update the drivers. These programs are automated and much easier to work with.
What to do?
Do not rush to go directly to the settings section to change the installation parameters. There are a few steps to start with.
- Check that all wires are securely connected, not frayed, there are no defects on them.
- If that doesn’t work, open the device and check that there is enough toner inside and that the paper is not jammed or jammed in any way. If you find any of these problems, it is easy to fix it yourself. Then the printer may work.
- Make sure the printer is free of any physical damage that could adversely affect its performance.
- Take out all cartridges and then put them back. sometimes it works.
- Try connecting your printer to other computers, it might work on them. This is a great temporary solution to the problem if the printer is used in the office, since there is no time to try all the methods, and there are a lot of computers around.
Using fixer utilities
In order to update the drivers, you will need special programs (utilities) so that the search for the problem occurs automatically, and the device itself reveals why this situation arose.
Most often, after performing the actions described above, the problem of the appearance of the “Disabled” status should disappear.
If all else fails, let’s look at other steps to turn on the printer. Take a Windows 10 device for example.
- Find the Start button on your desktop. Click it: this will open the main menu.
- Then in the search line that appears, write the name of your printer. the exact name of the model. In order not to write all this and avoid mistakes, you can simply open the list of devices in the usual way by going to the “Control Panel” section, then to “Devices and Printers”.
- From the list that appears next, you need to find the device you need and find out all the main information about it by clicking on it. Then you need to make sure that it is set to “Default” so that the files that are sent to print are output from it.
- After that, a dialog box will appear, there will be information about the state of the vehicle. There you need to uncheck the checkboxes from the items that say about delayed printing and offline mode.
- You may need to revert to the previous settings or make the device go offline. To do this, you just need to follow the same steps in reverse order. To do this, you need to go to the “Devices and Printers” section and click on the type of equipment you need, and then uncheck the confirmation checkboxes from the “Default” value, which was selected before. After completing this action, you need to carefully stop pairing the devices and then disconnect the device from the power source.
How to turn on the printer if its status is “off”?
Recently, not a single office can do without a printer, there is one in almost every home, because the equipment is needed in order to create archives, keep records and documentation, print reports and much more. However, sometimes there are problems with the printer. One of them: the appearance of the “Disabled” status, when in fact it is enabled, but ceases to be active. How to solve it, we will figure it out.
If none of the above methods helped you to get rid of the “Disabled” status, the problem may be related to a crash in the program, which also happens quite often. As already mentioned, you can go into the settings and uncheck the confirmation checkbox from the “Delayed Print” command (if it is there), since if this function is confirmed, the printer cannot execute the print command. And also you can clear the print queue.
Next, you can check the status of the printer in the devices. To do this, run the following commands: “Start”, “Devices and Printers”, and in this section, check in what state your printer is displayed.
If it is still offline, right-click on its shortcut and select Use Printer Online. This command assumes that your device will be used online. However, such actions will be relevant only for PCs running Windows Vista and Windows XP operating systems. If you have Windows 7, then after you click on the icon of your printer, you need to click on “View the print queue”, and in the “Printer” section, if necessary, uncheck the “Use printer offline”.
After that, it may happen that the device will issue a notification about the Paused status, that is, its work will be paused. To change this and make the printer continue to print, you need to find the appropriate item that will allow you to do this. You can find it after you click on the printer icon or remove the confirmation from the “Pause Printing” command, if there was a checkmark.
Microsoft developers themselves advise all users of devices running the Windows 10 operating system to always use the latest updates. However, if it is impossible to solve the problem on your own, it is better to call a wizard who is well versed in this, or contact a service center specializing in printing devices. So you will fix the problem, and you will not pick up viruses.
See below for what to do if the printer is off.
Let Windows manage the default printer
If you enable this feature, Windows will default to the printer that was last used on the current network. That is, even if you constantly use one printer, sent a one-time print to another printer. it is immediately set by default, and in order to return to the previous one, you need to select it from the list at the next print.
Open the “Start” menu, go to “Settings”.
Go to “Devices”, on the left side select “Printers and Scanners”, on the right side, check the box “Allow Windows to manage the default printer”.
Set default printer in options
Go to “Devices”, on the left side select “Printers and scanners, on the right side uncheck the box next to“ Let Windows control the default printer ”. Click on the printer you want to select as default, in the menu that appears, select “Manage”.
Click on “Set as default”.
The printer you have selected is set by default, close the preferences window.
How to set a default printer in Windows 10
Everything that you send to print is printed on the default printer on your system. When you have many printers installed on your device, you can select the one you want each time you print, and you can also select the one to which everything will be printed by default. In today’s article, we will look at how to set the default printer in Windows 10.
Set the default printer in the control panel
1.Open the “Control Panel”: one of the ways. in the search bar or in the “Run” menu (run by pressing the WinR keys) type control and press the Enter key.
Go to “Devices and Printers”.
Right click on the printer you want to select as default and select “Set as default” from the menu that appears.
In some cases, the window “Set this printer as the default printer means that Windows will stop managing your printer by default” may pop up, click on “OK”.
Set default printer on command line
1.Open the command line: one of the ways. click on the “Start” menu with the right mouse button and select “Command line (Administrator)”.
Enter the command wmic printer get name, default and press the Enter key. Remember the name of the printer you want to set as default.
Enter the command wmic printer where name = “printer name” call setdefaultprinter (replace the highlighted in red with the name you learned in the second step). For example, I want to set the default printer Canon 4400, I need to enter the command wmic printer where name = ”Canon 4400 ″ call setdefaultprinter and press Enter.
That’s all for today, if you know other methods. write in the comments! Happiness to you
How to set a default printer in Windows 10
This article shows the steps you can take to set the default printer in Windows 10.
The default printer is the printer to which all print jobs are sent by default, unless otherwise noted.
How to set the default printer using the “Control Panel
You can also set the default printer using the classic control panel.
Open the classic control panel, in the View drop-down list, select Small icons and click Devices and Printers.
In the “Devices and Printers” window, in the Printers section, right-click on the printer you want to set as the default printer and in the context menu that appears, select Use as default.
If the option “Let Windows control the default printer” is enabled, you will see a window in which you need to confirm the installation of the default printer, in which case Windows will stop controlling your default printer and the option “Let Windows control the default printer” will be disabled.
The printer will then be set as the default printer.
How to set the default printer using “Options
To set the default printer yourself, open the Settings application by clicking the Start button on the taskbar and then selecting Settings or by pressing the keyboard shortcut I.
In the “Options” window that opens, select the Devices category.
Then select the Printers & Scanners tab, and on the right side of the window, uncheck Let Windows manage my default printer
Then select the printer you want to set as the default printer and click the Manage button.
In the next window, click the Use as default button
If the “Let Windows control the default printer” option is enabled, the “Use as default” button will not appear.
The printer will now be set as the default printer.
How to let Windows control your default printer
To allow Windows to manage the default printer, open the “Settings” application by clicking the Start button on the taskbar and then select Settings or press the keyboard shortcut I.
In the “Options” window that opens, select the Devices category.
Then select the Printers & Scanners tab, and on the right side of the window, select the check box for Let Windows manage my default printer
If you enable the “Let Windows control my default printer” option, Windows will automatically set the default printer that you have recently used in your current location.
How to set the default printer on the command line
You can also set the default printer using the command line.
To proceed further, you must turn off Let Windows control the default printer. You can do this in the “Settings” application interface or open a command prompt as an administrator run the following command:
REG ADD “HKCU \\ SOFTWARE \\ Microsoft \\ Windows NT \\ CurrenTVersion \\ Windows” / v LegacyDefaultPrinterMode / t REG_DWORD / d 1 / f
Now we will display the list of printers and find out which printer is installed by default, to do this, run the following command in the command line:
The currently installed printer will default to TRUE, which is displayed in the Default column to the left of the printer name.
To set the default printer, run a command similar to the following:
wmic printer where name = “PrinterName” call setdefaultprinter
Replace PrinterName in the above command with the actual name of the printer you want to set as the default printer.
In this example, the command looks like this:
wmic printer where name = “Canon MP280 series Printer” call setdefaultprinter
Using the steps above, you can set the default printer in the Windows 10 operating system.
The default printer is disabled how to enable
Good day! Dear readers and guests of the most popular IT blog pyatilistnik.org. Surely many organizations use a centralized print server, and this is correct, since everything is convenient for management from one place, and if any problems arise, they are also localized. Today I was approached by representatives of technical support, with such a question. They stopped printing in one of the branches and the printer status in the management console was “Offline”. There are many jobs in the print queue. There were about half of such printers on the server. Let me show you how I got out of this situation without restarting the print server.
What does the status of the printer mean?
See what a paradox, in the “Print Management” console, the printer is disabled, although it is turned on in fact, since it responds, its web interface is available and it is accessible by the Ping command. A funny situation, everything seems to be available over the network, but users cannot print. If you see the status “Disabled” or in the English version “Offline”, then do not rush to get upset, everything is fixable, below I will give a detailed aLGorithm of my actions that will help you return your printer to working condition. This is how it looks live.
How to turn on the printer with the status “Offline
The diagnostic aLGorithm boils down to the following points:
- First, if you find the printer unavailable in the print management console, the first step is to check the network accessibility, for example, via the web interface or ping. If your device responds, then go to the second point
- As they say, seven troubles one reset, try restarting your printer, pull out the power cord for 20 seconds and plug it back in. The device will boot up in a minute (I have already described everything in detail in the article, when I did not print the printer, do not be too lazy to read it). Then we check its status on the server. If it doesn’t help, then try the following method.
- There is a long known problem with printing devices and it is related to the SNMP protocol. The operating system Windows 7 and above, automatically tries to poll the network printer using the SNMP protocol, this is done in order to determine whether there is a problem on the printing device or not. All modern printers have such functionality, and if your print server for some reason could not receive a response from your printer, then it will give it the Offlie status in the control console, although it will be available.
In order to check if this is the cause of the malfunction, you need to follow these steps. Open the Print Management snap-in and go to the properties of the desired printer.
Then select the required port and click the “Configure Port” button. In the “Standard TCP / IP Port Monitor Settings” window that opens, uncheck the “SNMP status enabled” checkbox and save the settings.
In the English version, select “Confirure Port. SNMP Status Enabled”
After all these steps, your printer status is disabled, will change to “Ready or Ready”. Please note that before the settings I had 40 jobs in the print queue.
After half a minute, the jobs began to be sent to print, as you can see there are already 37 of them. Congratulations, we took our printer out of the Offline mode.
- If disabling SNMP did not help you and your printer is turned off again although it is available, try restarting the print service (Spooler), but note that this will affect all printing devices, they will not be available at the time of restart.
- If this did not help the same, then try to disable the two-way data exchange for your device, in some cases this can have an effect.
- Another option would be to recreate the print port, as described by the link on the left, this sometimes helps when your printer is offline, but available over the network.
- You can also use the MIcrosoft Printer Diagnostic Tool (Print Spooler Cleanup Diagnostic Tool)
- If there is a conflict between several drivers of two printers or more, then isolation of the print driver will help you.
- Be sure to check your firewalls and network devices to see if they are blocking SNMP traffic.
- On some printers, it helps to manually set the SNMP name to “public”
- Make sure that your printers are not set to stand-alone or suspend mode, although you would see it in statuses, but just in case
- Try to diagnose with the Print-Spooler-Repair-Tool
- Editing the Windows Registry, you need to add an additional key on your print server. To do this, open the Windows Registry Editor and go to the branch:
And create a new DWORD key here with SNMPLegacy name and value 1.
- If you still have the Disabled status on the printer, then you have something with karma, try using proprietary utilities from the manufacturer, for example, HP has HP Print and Scan Doctor, others have their own, the main thing is not to give up.
Printer status disabled how to enable
Nowadays, printing has become an integral part of the existence of any company and organization. Even at home, we use paper media. They are necessary for the creation of archives, reporting and documentation. However, with the fast pace of life, the need for printing and the volume of various documents has increased significantly.
In order to realize the normal quality and productivity of printed documents, mankind has created various printing devices. Nowadays, printers are used to perform this task. They can differ significantly in the materials used in the manufacture, in the way of functioning, the design of the product, but the main function when using them is to ensure fast and high-quality conversion of information from an electronic format (stored in computer files) into a printed form.
If you have recently purchased a printer and are just starting your acquaintance with the equipment, you should carefully study the instructions and operation manual attached to the basic set of purchased equipment. But in these documents it is not always possible to find answers to questions of interest, they only present a standard set of actions and instructions for connecting equipment to carry out normal functioning.
For more information, it is worth reading the various sites on the Internet. Today we will talk about one of the possible problems when printing documents. We will talk about program failures, in which the value is set to “disabled” even when the equipment is connected to the network.
What does the status of disabled mean??
Under normal conditions, the system issues a warning and sets the status of a disabled state when the equipment is turned off from the power source and if there is no connection to the computer. However, sometimes malfunctions occur, leading to the setting of this status even with correctly connected equipment.
Usually, when this error occurs, the user tries to turn on the equipment or restart it, this does not help to fix the problems and restore access to printing. In this case, the offline mode is most often assigned to several devices at once. If in a large office several machines are sending files to the print queue, but the work is not being performed, most likely the reason could be the following:
- Software violation of the printing process, a failure in the settings for displaying information, or a virus in the system.
- Mechanical damage to the interior of the structure. This reason is relevant in the event of a failure of one printer, in case of multiple failures, the problem is most likely in the system parameters.
- Paper jams or lack of ink (inkjet versions), powder (laser versions) can also cause work to stop. The program automatically protects the equipment from further damage.
IMPORTANT: When attempting to install a printer, the system may display an error number 0xc0000005. This indicates an active offline mode.
How to turn on the printer on Windows 10?
Do not rush to go into the settings to change the installation parameters. This can only complicate matters. First of all, perform the following manipulations:
- Check all wires, the reliability of their connections, possible defects and chafing of the case.
- Try to completely turn off the equipment, after a few minutes reconnect the equipment. Most modern systems automatically diagnose and troubleshoot the last session.
- Assess the condition of the ink level, look inside the case to find jammed pieces of paper. If there are these problems, eliminate them, replace the components.
- Also check for defects and mechanical damage to internal components.
In most cases, the steps above will help resolve the problem. But sometimes the reason is a system crash of the program. In this case, the principle of action will be significantly different. To troubleshoot and configure, let’s take a look at the instructions for Windows 10:
- Use the start button on the desktop or on the keyboard to enter the main menu.
- Then enter your printer model name in the search bar. You can open the list of devices in a standard way through the “control panel”, “devices and printers”.
- Find the necessary equipment from the list provided and find out the basic information about it. Make sure it is set to “default” for printing files.
- In the dialog box with information about the state of the equipment, uncheck the checkboxes of the delayed print and offline mode.
- Restart the print service in the appropriate menu section. To do this, enter the command “services.msc” in the “Run” window (WinR).
- Try updating drivers, additionally installing utilities to automatically find and fix problems.
If you need to return the settings or put the device in offline mode, just follow the whole step in reverse order. To do this, go to the “devices and printers” section, select the required type of equipment and uncheck the previously set “default” value. After that, carefully unplug the paired equipment and then unplug it from the power source.