Solving the problem with the corresponding services
If after the actions taken, Windows 10 does not see the printer. It is advisable to use the section of programs and components, where in the components you should check whether the print service is currently active.
If everything is in order with her, you need to go directly to the services section.
It is called through the Run console by entering the services execution command. Msc.
In the editor, you just need to find the corresponding service, open its parameters (properties), click the start button, set the value corresponding to automatic or manual start in the start type.
First and Easiest Troubleshooter
So, we assume that Windows 10 does not see the HP printer, although until a certain point it worked quite well. The first step is to check the connection to the computer, turn off and then turn on the device, or even just restart the computer to which it is connected.
It is quite possible that this will work. At least in some cases, printing resumes. This applies to both local and network printers.
However, if printing did not start, in the settings for specifying the location of the network device, you must NOT select it from the list, but write the address and name manually.
Windows 10: the computer cannot see the printer. What is the reason?
Any more or less literate user, when answering a question about the reasons for this phenomenon, will immediately say that they are all related to missing or incorrectly installed printer drivers. Yes, indeed, one of the reasons can be called this. However, there are still many factors that affect the performance of the printing device (even at the physical level of the connection).
Let’s assume that everything is in order with the drivers (the device is detected, and the system writes that it is working fine). What then? Here, as a commonplace reason, you can indicate the lack of connection to a local printer or a device on the network. It may be that the print service itself is inactive. In addition, the printer settings may be changed and print is set to Delayed Mode. Finally, even overflowing the print queue (SIMultaneously printing too many documents) can also play a role.
Windows 10 can’t see printer: check device status
But there are even worse situations. Let’s say Windows 10 can’t see a Canon printer. Why? Yes, only because the device gives an error.
Use the “Device Manager”, update the list indicating the display of hidden devices, and then if the printer appears in the list (even with an indication of a driver error), check its status in the “Control Panel” so that it is used by default, and in the status Paused print options have NOT been set or offline options have been activated.
Windows 10 does not see the printer: Possible causes and solutions
Surely most users of modern Windows-based computer systems have come across situations when they urgently need to print an important document, and the same tenth modification suddenly reports that Windows 10 does not see the printer. And what should be done in this case? There may be several options. But first, you need to find out the reasons due to which Windows 10 does not see a USB printer or a connected device in a second way. Further, all Possible problems will be considered and the most effective methods for their elimination will be proposed.
Installing and updating device drivers
Finally, we come to the most important question related to the fact that the driver is not installed for the printer. You can check its status in the “Device Manager”.
At least if the printer is marked as an unrecognized device, you can SIMply try to update the appropriate software for it.
In some cases, it helps to find a non-standard driver by identifier DEV and VEN. Windows 10 does not see the printer just because there is no such driver in its own database. When reinstalling after downloading the driver Use the indication of the location where the installation file is saved or, if possible, install it yourself from the EXE distribution or the INF information file (for an EXE object, using the PCM, run as administrator is selected, and for an INF file. the line “ Install “).
But there may be a completely non-standard situation when Windows 10 does not see the printer via USB. It is possible that everything is in order with the device itself and its drivers, but there are no USB controller drivers (it may be that the port itself is damaged). Try either reconnecting the printer to the second port (it may require USB 3.0 rather than 2.0), or reinstall the USB controller drivers. Finally, just check the USB cable or Connect the device via another standard connector.
But as for updating drivers, it is better to do it NOT by your own system means, but to use specialized automatic update utilities. Programs like Driver Booster, Slim Drivers and the like have proven themselves quite well. Search and download will be carried out exclusively on the official resources of equipment manufacturers, and software of this type will be installed for absolutely all hardware and virtual devices present in the computer system, and not only for printers (although you can mark only the printing device, update the software for it, and after reboot see how it will function).
Programmatic method of restoring printers
In principle, you can also use specially created programs that allow you to identify and eliminate problems.
For example. Quite an effective tool can be called the Print And Scan Doctor application, which was released specifically for HP devices. For second printers It is also not difficult to find such utilities on the websites of manufacturers of this type of equipment.
If utilities of this type are not provided for downloading, it may very well be that on the website of the printer or computer manufacturer (most often this applies to laptops) you can find an online system scan section to identify possible problems. Of course, we are NOT talking about correcting them. But on the other hand, it will be possible to identify the root cause of failures with a fairly high degree of probability.
It remains to be noted that issues related to damage or inoperability of the printers (scanners / MFPs) themselves or a viral effect, due to which violations could occur NOT so much in the operation of the drivers as in the functioning of the system itself, were NOT considered here. But the above proposed methods usually eliminate the problems encountered in 99% of cases out of a hundred. If nothing helps at all, but the device worked before, just do a system restore. It is possible that even such a primitive method will help.
Windows 8 has a dedicated device troubleshooter to help diagnose and fix printing problems. To launch the tool, swipe to the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Find or fix problems. Click Use Printer under the Hardware and Sound heading and then run automatic prompts to let Windows diagnose any printer problems.
Malfunction of the printer itself
Well, if the entire list of measures to restore the ability to print has been exhausted, and the printer is still NOT responding, it is worth thinking: maybe it itself is faulty? Any component of the printing device can fail. Making repairs yourself can be tricky. After all, maybe this is just a breakdown of the connection input on the case (the contact is moving away), or maybe a faulty motherboard is to blame. So take the equipment to the service center, where experienced craftsmen will help you.
Now you know what to do if the computer cannot see the printer. If you cannot carry out these operations yourself or you have any questions, then our masters are ready to help.
The Good Deeds Service works around the clock. We conduct consultations by phone or go to the office and home at a convenient time. Leave a request in any way that is best for you, and we will certainly answer your questions!
If the laptop does not see the printer what to do. The laptop software installer does not detect the printer though. HP Support Community
Welcome to the HP support forums. A really great platform to post all your questions and find solutions.
I reviewed your post and want to help
Let’s start by resetting the printer and rebooting the router
(1) Turn on the printer if it is not already on. (2) Wait until the device stops working before proceeding. (3) With the printer on, unplug the power cord from the back of the printer. (4) Unplug the power cord from the outlet. (5) Wait at least 60 seconds. (6) Plug the power cord back into the outlet. NOTE. HP recommends plugging the printer power cord directly into a power outlet. (7) Connect the power cord to the back of the printer. (8) Turn on the printer if it does not turn on automatically.
The printer may warm up. Printer lights may flicker and the carriage may move. Wait until the warm-up period ends and the device is idle before proceeding.
Then uninstall the printer driver from the root level, load the full feature software and firmware
1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features 2) Select your HP printer 3.) Select Uninstall 4) In Windows, find and open Devices and Printers 5.) In the Devices and Printers windows, find your HP printer. If you see it in the list, right-click it and select “Remove” or “Remove device” 6.) Open the startup command with the keyboard shortcut “Windows key R”. 7.) Enter printui.Exe / s and click OK. (Note: there is a space between “printui.Exe” and “/ s”) 8.) Click the “Drivers” tab. 9.) Find the HP printer driver. If you see it, click on it and click “Delete” at the bottom 10.) Select Ok 11.) Select Apply and OK in the print server properties window 12.) Close devices and printers 13.) Restart your computer and load the full-featured software and firmware from here and follow the instructions on the screen
Keep me posted how it goes
Thank you and have a nice day # 128522;
We will follow you to see if the issue is resolved.
If the information I provided was helpful, please give us some reinforcement by Clicking “Resolved” in this post and it will also help other community members resolve a SIMilar issue.
Krazytoad I’m an HP employee
It may turn out that the whole thing is in the special software, which is responsible for the correct operation of the printer, that is, its drivers have SIMply “gone off”. This situation is most typical for Windows 7 and 8 operating systems, when the laptop does not see the connected printer.
The check is done as follows:
Get to the point “Management”. This can be done by right-clicking on the “Computer” shortcut. It is located in the main Start menu:
In the menu on the left, you need to click “Device Manager”:
Now you should find the printer by model name and visit “Properties”:
If everything is in order, you will see: “The device is working normally”.
If there is a problem, the message will be different. Then you have to install new driver versions.
This refers to the physical integrity of all cords, as well as the condition of the laptop or computer inputs and the printer. First, inspect all connection cables for breaks, cuts, kinks, and other damage. The same must be done with all plugs.
It is also important to inspect all inputs, both on the laptop and on the printing device. Especially those that are most often used to connect with other techniques. Now you need to pay attention to the connection itself. Do not allow the cable in the connector to sit loose or wobble. Also, absolutely avoid pulling the cords.
If Windows cannot detect a device for printing, the very first thing to do is to make sure the printer is connected properly. This is relevant, as a rule, if you organize printing on a new computer or connect a newly purchased printer.
If you select a USB port, first of all, check if it is the right connector. USB can be confused with an Ethernet slot, and it can even harm the printing device. With regard to connecting to a computer, you should always use the input located on the back panel. Avoid front panel connectors as they are NOT directly connected to the motherboard.
Also check this: if the USB version is 2.0, then the input for it is black. If it’s 3.0. blue. Interface versions Must be consistent. Highly advise Also do not use USB extension cords.
Now connected to Wi-Fi. Its signal may NOT be stable. And if too many consumers are connected to the network, which applies primarily to offices, it may disappear altogether. In such cases, the first step is to see if the router is turned on. Then you should check the correctness of the network settings, that is, the name and access code.
Operating system problems
Other factors can affect the correct operation of the printing technique. These include incorrect settings, malfunctions of any elements of the operating system or even the laptop itself.
The organization of printing is affected by problems related to antivirus software, BIOS settings, and, of course, viruses.
Malware affects not only printing, but many processes in the operating system. First of all, the disks of a laptop or computer should be checked with an antivirus or a free utility.
It happens that the blocking of signals from the printer comes from antivirus software or built-in firewall. Therefore, it is recommended to disable the antivirus for diagnostics. It would be even more correct to adjust its settings, put exceptions in them for printing techniques.
In addition, BIOS settings may “fly off”, in which, among other things, the USB ports are disabled. This happens after an update or other action by the user. So make sure the USB port controller is active.
Print service not started
Drivers are not the only ones responsible for managing the printer. The Windows operating system has a separate service called Print Manager. At this stage, you need to check the status of this service.
First, as in the previous section, you need to launch the contents of the “Control” item. In the area that has appeared, closer to its lower part, it is necessary to find and name the “Services” section. All services available on the laptop or computer will be displayed. Wait for this to happen, and then select “Print Manager” from their list. We are interested in the item “Properties”:
A status window will appear, in which everything should be correct. Please note that the Startup Type field must be Automatic, and the next to Status must be Running. If everything is correct, then with the active button “Run” it should be pressed. The print service will restart:
Windows 10 has three troubleshooting methods.
- An option for those who have a look customized with small or large icons. Enter “Start”. “Control Panel”. “Troubleshooting”. In the block “Hardware and Sound” find the active term “Printer usage”.
- The method is suitable when the view by categories is set in the control panel. SIMilarly, go to the PU, then to “Hardware and Sound”. “Devices and Printers”. In the context menu of the device, select the “Troubleshooting” option.
- Download the Printerdiagnostic utility from the official Microsoft resource and make diagnostics.
- Damage by malware. Viruses damage the operating system, which sometimes causes the computer to stop recognizing the printer. To fix the problem, check all system partitions with antivirus or the free CureIt software from Doctor Web.
- “Cutting” or blocking the printer signal by antivirus. Antivirus software may mistakenly consider the printer as dangerous and block it. The built-in Windows Firewall works in a SIMilar way. Temporarily disable antivirus or make an exception for the printer in the settings.
- Disable USB ports in BIOS settings. It can happen after a system update or the user himself has led to such changes. Need to check if USB input controller is enabled.
A different default printer is installed
If several different printing devices are connected to the computer, then the required printer should be selected by default.
- Go to “Devices and Printers”.
- Find the required printer and calling the context menu by pressing RMB.
- In the drop-down menu, if this was not there, put a tick next to the item “Use by default”.
If the problem persists, double-click the left button on your printer icon and click on the “Printer” menu. If there are check marks next to the options “Pause printing” and “Work offline”, remove them.
If there are a lot of documents in the print queue, select “Clear print queue” in the same menu.
Software from printer manufacturers
As in Microsoft, second manufacturers have their own services for diagnosing and fixing problems with printing equipment.
- HP. “Print and Scan Doctor”.
- Canon. “Canon My Printer”.
- Epson. “Epson Status Monitor”.
- Oki. “Brmainte”.
- Samsung. “Samsung Printer Diagnostics”. The service scans Not only printers, but also faxes, scanners, and also helps with finding and installing additional software.
- Brother. “BRAdmin Professional”. The utility can detect problems with the network, print server, or SNMP.
Installing drivers manually
The printer driver is best taken from the installation disk, which came with it in the kit, or downloaded from the office. Manufacturer’s portal. It is important that the software is suitable for your printer model and the operating system installed on your computer.
To do this, we perform the following sequence of actions:
- Press the WindowsR buttons at the same time and write “printui / s”.
- Go to the “Drivers” tab.
- Select the package you want and delete.
If you bought new printing equipment or decided to connect an existing printer to a second computer, and the latter does not see the connected equipment, check the correct connection.
- USB. The cable must be plugged into a USB connector, which is sometimes confused with an Ethernet jack. Such connection errors can lead to damage to all equipment. The other end of the wire is inserted into the socket on the back of the system unit.
There must also be a suitable version of the interface. Version 2.0 can be connected to black inputs, 3.0 to blue.
Check if the printer is turned on at all. On some devices, the on / off button is on the back or side, and users forget to press it.
Print service problem
- Right-click on the “Computer” icon.
- Clicks on “Control”.
- At the very end of the list, select “Services”.
- When the entire list of services is displayed, search among them for “Print Manager” and calling the menu with a right click.
- Choose “Properties”.
- We check that in the “Startup type” block “Automatic” is selected, and “State”. “Running / In Progress”.
- Normally, the “Start” button will be inactive, otherwise click on it to start the service.
What to do in Windows 10
If after updating Windows the device is not recognized or the system starts writing messages like “Driver is not available”, “Operation paused”, “Printer needs attention”, use the recommendations below.
How to connect a printer to a computer if it does not see it
It does not matter which technique does not see the printer, personal computer or laptop, the reasons for both cases are the same. A laptop is the same computer, only it is a portable version. The problem due to which the printer does not connect may be systemic or hardware faults and is relevant for all versions of Windows (7, 8 and 10), all brands (HP, Canon, Epson and others). In more detail we will schedule below.
We strongly recommend that you watch everything. Which we gave in the course of the article. Additional nuances are analyzed in them. We hope that our manual will help you connect the machine and start printing if your computer has never seen it before. Note that the solutions have been considered, not only in the case of connecting both devices via a USB cable, but also for a Wi-Fi connection via a network. If you have any questions, ask them in the comments at the bottom of the page.
Failures due to which the system does not find the device can be divided into several categories.
Often they are associated with a physical defect:
- Damage to the USB cable or incorrect operation of the port itself;
- Incorrect connection;
- Internal breakdown.
The laptop may not see the printer and is NOT connecting to it due to a system failure.
This could be:
- Failure of the print service;
- Error or outdated driver;
- Damage to OS system files;
- Exposure to malware (virus) that prevents the printer from installing.
There are also other reasons:
- The system sees the external device, but does NOT print the document. this is possible if another printer is selected by default
- Cannot start work due to improper exit from hibernation mode;
- The laptop does not recognize the new device due to an installation error.
If recently the technique worked flawlessly, and then suddenly stopped, you should first check it for the most common problems. When connecting a new printer, it is recommended to carefully study the instructions.
Why the laptop does not see the printer and what to do?
A system failure or device defect can cause the laptop to stop recognizing the printer when connected via USB. This situation occurs both when setting up new equipment and when working with a well-known technique. Many problems of this kind do NOT require special skills and can be easily fixed on site. This article will show you what to do if your laptop does not see your printer and why you get these problems.
What to do?
The user should start by checking for physical defects.
- Examine the USB cable for kinks, twists, or pet teeth marks. Sometimes damage is invisible to the eye, so try using a different cord to test the operation of the equipment.
- Check the USB port. it may be loose or dusty. Try plugging the device into a different jack.
- If you are using different adapters or a very long cable, replace them with a shorter cable.
Sometimes the reason lies in the incorrect exit from sleep or hibernation mode. If you try to send documents to print, an error message appears. In this case, you need to restart the laptop. The problem may also be related to the work of the drivers. First, you need to make sure that there are viruses in the system. check with antivirus software.
You may need to reinstall the drivers. This is done like this:
- Open the “Device Manager” through the control panel and click the “Refresh” button;
- If everything is in order, in the “Print Queue” tab you will find your printer
- If it is not in the list, open “Other devices” and see if there are icons with a yellow exclamation mark there. this means that the driver is missing, you can install it by right-clicking and selecting the Appropriate item.
Often a disc is included with the equipment, which contains all the necessary software from the manufacturer. You can find the files you need on it or download them from the Internet.
There may be a missing driver related to the operation of the USB controller NOT printer. In this case, none of the devices connected to the port will work. The status of THESE drivers can also be checked in the “Device Manager” under the “USB Controllers” tab and updated or reinstalled if necessary. Windows has a dedicated print service.
If it fails, then the laptop sees the printer, but nothing happens. To view the list of services, do the following:
- Use the WinR hotkey combination to bring up the service window;
- In the field that appears, enter the command services. Msc;
- Find “Print Manager” in the list and make sure it has automatic startup mode selected;
- You can also try to stop and then restart this service.
If you have multiple devices for printing, for example in an office, check that the correct printer is selected by default. Through the Control Panel go to Hardware and Sound and then Devices and Printers. There find the Model you need and select “Use as default” by Right Clicking. After that, a green check mark will appear next to the equipment image.
Try connecting the printer to a second computer, you can even try to print from your phone. many modern models support this. If everything worked out, then the problem is in the laptop operating system. Verify the integrity of the system files using the command line and run a scan with sfc / scannow. You can also try to go back to a previous restore point if the device worked fine before and you are sure that you have NOT changed anything in the settings.
Sometimes the antivirus comes into conflict with various programs and interferes with the operation of devices. Try turning it off for a while and see if the printer will print after that. You may need to add it to the antivirus software exclusion list so that this problem does NOT arise anymore. Modern models often support Wi-Fi connectivity. You can use this function if you urgently need to print documents and do not have time to search for problems or cannot recognize the cause.
There are recommendations that will help to avoid Some problems with the technique:
- Do not forget to timely clean the equipment and connection ports from dust and dirt, this will extend the service life;
- Watch out for the cables, do not bend and twist them, it is also better to keep the wires away from pets;
- Check your system regularly with antivirus software and DO NOT forget about software updates;
- To work with the drivers, you can use special programs. they automatically analyze the state of the system, identify outdated components and install the necessary software as needed.
If you have tried all the methods, but the technique still refuses to work, you can contact the service center for troubleshooting. Specialists will be able to carry out repairs and replace defective parts.
The following discusses some of the reasons for not connecting the printer to the laptop.
What to do
If you use a computer running Windows 10 or 7, experts advise you to check the printer first. This requires running diagnostics. You can use the standard utility located in the “Control Panel”. To start, you need to go to “Troubleshoot”, “Hardware and Sound”, then go to “Using the printer”.
And you can also use the Official software to interact with Which you need to connect your computer to the Internet and go to the official Microsoft website. There you can upload files for the desired application.
Eliminate OS problems
If you have completed all of the above steps, but the printer still does not print the document, you need to check the Windows operating system itself. It may be out of date, erroneous, or malfunctioning due to the installation of second programs. There are many reasons why it is best to try connecting the printer to a second PC. If the device functions normally, you should check the laptop or desktop computer to which the printer is not installed.
USB port activation
If the USB port is not activated, you can also face a situation where printing does not turn on. Before proceeding with the activation process, it should be understood that BIOS or UEFI is considered the basic software that is in any computer. With this service, you can adjust the USB connector to which the printer should be connected. For this, the base microcode is used, with which the port status is checked. If they are disabled, they should be enabled.
You can often come across the fact that BIOS or UEFI manufacturers call a function by different names, due to which most users will NOT be able to figure it out. To avoid confusion, it is recommended to pay attention to the following names: USB Function, Legacy USB Support, USB Controller Mode.
All driver-related errors are the most common user complaint who encounters a problem where the printer is not detected by the computer. On some OS, drivers are SIMply not installed. In most cases, all printer software is located on a separate disk, which is included with the device. If there is a disk nearby, you can use the Official Portal of the manufacturer.
The newest updates that were released for Windows are convenient in that they independently download software for all devices connected to the PC. This option does NOT function correctly in all cases, and if the OS is outdated, then there is a SIMilar function on it. In this case, the easiest way is to use a disc. From it, installation is performed as follows:
- Initially, it should start the disk;
- Then the automatic installer will open;
- According to the instructions, you need to install the drivers on the PC;
- After all the actions have been performed, the situation when the computer does NOT recognize the device will be resolved, and in the future it will NOT require a used disk for operation, and it can be removed;
- If the package contains a disc, a link to the required software is indicated on the packaging with the printer (if the links are comments, you will need to look for it yourself).
After downloading the necessary files, you will need to install the driver. To do this, you can use Step by step instructions:
- First you need to check if the selected software is compatible with the used device model and OS.
- When the installation is complete, the PC should be rebooted.
- After turning on the PC, you need to see if the Machine in use appears for printing in “Printer and Faxes”. This file is located in the “Control Panel”.
When the personal computer does NOT find the printer, the driver may need to be reinstalled. To do this, you must perform several steps:
- Go to the “Device Manager” and find “Drivers” there. A list will open in which you need to find the connected printer.
- Clicked on it with the right mouse button, you should select “Delete”.
- Then it will start installing the driver, which is suitable for the model of the device used.
- After these steps, you need to restart your computer and go to “Printers and Faxes”. The system should display the printer.
A SIMilar item can be activated by visiting “Systems and Security”, which is also located in the “Control Panel”. The user will need to select “Administration”, then go to “Services” and right-click on “Print Manager”. There you should go to “Properties”. A window will pop up in which you need to set the startup type to automatic. The parameter of this state must be set as “Running”.
Situations where a PC or laptop does not detect the printer can be facilitated by several reasons, starting with the usual inattentive attitude of a person, ending with a malfunction of the unit itself. If the PC cannot see the device for USB printing, the situation may be related to Several points:
- Forgot to turn on the printer. Common situation to check first.
- Incorrect connection of the device to a laptop or stationary computer. The USB cable is NOT fully inserted or the connector / wire is damaged.
- Another machine has been set up for printing.
- Auto Print Service Not Enabled.
- There are driver problems. They can crash from the system or just don’t stand on the PC.
- Disable USB controller in BIOS.
- Windows errors due to system file corruption.
- The technical component of the unit. In this case, only repair will help.
Sometimes a banal virus program can become a prerequisite for the fact that the PC has stopped seeing the printer, or the device does NOT want to print. To exclude this option, you will need to resort to scanning. The procedure is performed sequentially using several instruments.
However, antivirus apps themselves may affect the device NOT connecting. Antivirus software is NOT perfect, so it can come into conflict with non-threatening files that are installed on your computer. The printer driver can also be perceived as a dangerous object even if it was downloaded from the official website.
If the PC says that the device is not detected, you should try to disable the antivirus. It’s pretty SIMple to do this:
- First you need to go to “Administration”. It is located in the “Control Panel”.
- After that, you will need to click on “System Configuration”.
- You should select in turn the sections “Services”, “Startup”. In them, you need to uncheck all the places where the name of the antivirus program is.
- Then the PC restarts and the problem should be fixed.
Selecting a default device
Other printing devices may contribute to the fact that the required equipment does NOT print. If other printers were previously connected, you need to reassign.
This will take several steps:
- In the “Hardware and Sound” section, which is located in the “Control Panel”, select “Devices and Printers”. The name of the required printer model will be indicated there.
- By clicking on the name with the right mouse button, “Use as default” is selected.
If a person works in an office, the problem with invisibility may be that the printing is going on a local network, in which there are several pieces of equipment. In such cases, you can select another network printer and print the desired files.
Why the device won’t connect to the computer and what to do?
Quite often, users are faced with a situation where the computer does not see the printer. Before saving up money for repairs, you should familiarize yourself with the reasons and options for action that any person can handle.