Reasons why the printer chews on paper
There are a number of reasons why the paper is jammed in the printer; what to do in this situation depends on what caused the paper to jam. Poor or unsuitable sheet quality increases the risk of printer shutdown, so it is important to select normal weight printer paper. Pieces of cellulose from low-quality paper fall on the roller, reducing the level of fixation, which leads to creasing of the sheet in the center, it can be removed through a tray or a special panel.
Why is the printer chewing on paper? What to do if the printer chews on paper?
Three options are possible here. First, you are using the wrong type of paper (for example, less than the recommended weight of 80 gsm. say, writing paper with a weight of 60-70 gsm). Second option: problems with the sheet gripper unit. Third% problem with rollers in the sheet transport unit.
Solutions: in the first case, use normal paper, in the second and third. contact the service for replacement of rubber rollers and sheet gripper.
Sometimes it happens that the printer does not pick up the paper, or, conversely, picking it up “chews”.
One of the most common reasons is that the wrong paper is being used for printing. Lightweight paper, check the paper. If it is not suitable, then just replace it.
The second reason for paper jams is a problem in the printer’s pick rollers.
Perhaps the rollers are just dirty, so they need to be cleaned. You can use rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs for wiping.
Another reason may be that the paper feed mechanism is loose. In this case, it would be better to contact the service center for a specialist to look at the printer and set it up.
Incorrect paper stacking
The most common causes of paper wrinkles are improper placement of paper in the special tray and poor selection of the location for the printing device. It is recommended to choose a flat surface for the printer, without inclination and unevenness, before stacking sheets, they must be collected in a neat stack
Press down the paper in the printer with special edges in the tray so that the stack of sheets becomes even, but do not press too hard.
Ingress of foreign objects
If the printer has jammed the paper at the very beginning of the sheet, then a paper clip or other object has fallen into the printing device, so that you do not need to remove the panels to remove the paper. The sheet jam at the end, combined with defects and printing, indicates mechanical damage or physical wear of the Teflon thermal film, which requires replacement.
Why does the printer jam and wrinkle the paper??
You can easily diagnose such a problem yourself: for example, the printer may wrinkle the paper if it was simply inserted incorrectly into the tray. at an angle. In this case, you just need to insert the paper correctly. The most problematic case is when the paper was inserted with a foreign object. a staple staple or a paper clip, in which case even the internal parts of the printer may eventually be damaged. Often sheets wrinkle due to poor grip from a too thick stack in the tray.
Removing Jammed Paper Correctly
When the printer has jammed the paper, it is necessary to correctly remove the crumpled sheet without pulling it out and avoiding mechanical impact on the internal elements of the structure.
The device must be turned off from the network, using the functionality of a computer or laptop, delete print jobs, then proceed to removing the jammed paper. Models of printers of the latest generations and well-known brands, equipped with a window, the necessary information is displayed in it, and the program will inform the aLGorithm of actions. If there is no window, it is better to use the instructions, which describe which panel printer you need to open, to quickly and accurately remove the jammed paper. It is usually located at the back of the printer. You need to carefully open the door from the back and loosen the special clamps of the drum. the paper can be easily removed with light effort.
It is strictly not recommended to pull out and pull out the sheets forcibly, they can be damaged and torn, pieces of paper will remain in the printer and lead to serious damage.
After removing the jammed sheet from the printer, it is important to inspect the device for jammed paper debris, foreign objects, and other damage. After completing the inspection, you must insert the cartridge and close the lid, turn on the printer and check the quality of work by starting a test print.
It is not difficult to eliminate the problems of jammed paper on your own, with regular paper jams, it is recommended to contact the service center, where they will diagnose and repair the printer, eliminating the cause of the breakdown.
What to do if all of the above reasons are eliminated, but the paper is still wrinkled?
If all these points are eliminated, then most likely the reasons are in the “internals” of the printer. Overheating of mechanical parts, damage to any parts during operation. it can be anything. By the way, often paper jams also occur with jams: in this case, you should take out the paper as carefully as possible so as not to leave even the smallest pieces inside.
If all possible causes of such a problem have been eliminated, and the printer still does not want to print smoothly and still wrinkles the paper, then our specialists will be happy to help you, eliminating all breakdowns and malfunctions, repairing the printer and replacing all faulty parts.
The reason is in the printer
- The rollers are dirty. The do is represented by small plastic cylinders covered with rough rubber. Dirt gets between the rough edges, ink residues, as a result, stripes are visible on the printed sheet. Sheets are unevenly pulled through the rollers and wrinkled. In case of contamination, remove the chewed sheet and wipe the cylinders with a damp, lint-free cloth.
Over time, the roughness on the rubber will wear off and the rollers will begin to wrinkle the pages even if they are not dirty. Exit. replacement of rollers.
If the printer has been running for a long time and has jammed the paper, overheating may be the cause. Clear the jam, turn off the machine, and let it cool and rest. Print in small batches later to avoid overheating again.
Foreign objects in the feed unit. Paper clips, buttons, and other small objects may get inside. Open the printer cover to remove them.
Shine a flashlight, examine the contents of the printer, especially in the corners, where all the debris pushed there by the carriage during movement accumulates. Excess items can be located behind the carriage. They need to be removed and the lid closed.
Incorrect cartridge assembly. Inappropriate installation of the ink tank leads to deformation of the units and parts of the printing device. Defects appear on the page when printing, the trajectory of movement changes and the paper wrinkles.
The installation of the cartridge must be done strictly according to the instructions or the work must be done by specialists.
The printer jams on the paper what to do?
Continuous use for extended periods of time leads to overheating of the printer, which also leads to paper jams. In such cases, work is stopped and the apparatus is allowed to cool down. The further printing process must be carried out in small portions of documents in order to avoid reheating.
Checking the paper used
- Use only high quality sheets that match the specifications for your printer model.
- Damage to the paper, such as: curved edges, fractures, bends, dents and other deformations may well cause chewing.
It is important to place the paper correctly in the tray so that the paper guides do not press too hard.
Worn feed parts
At least nine parts of the printer are involved in the process of pulling a sheet of paper. With intensive use of the device, each of them can fail. For example, a squeak or rustle noise when a paper is jammed indicates a failure of the fusing unit. It needs to be replaced.
Repairing the feeder at home is not recommended. The work must be done by specialists.
Chews paper at the entrance. what are the reasons?
The printer can chew the paper at the entrance, and often this is due to the paper itself. The reasons may be as follows:
- poor quality of the paper itself. The sheet is too thin, and therefore may jam at the entrance;
- a stack of paper that is too thick, due to which the printer picks up several sheets at once or picks up one sheet and catches the second partially, so the paper jams;
- there are foreign objects on the paper, such as paper clips, staples, or something else. You should inspect the paper and remove any foreign objects;
- individual sheets in a bundle are initially bent or somehow damaged, such sheets should be removed from the bundle.
If the printer chews paper at the entrance, then, as you understand, it is not so difficult to fix the problem, and as a rule, there is no need for specialized help.
The printer chews the paper out
If the paper is jammed and chewed at the exit, then more serious problems arise. But a number of them can also be solved independently:
- you should check the paper size that is set on the printer and on the computer, as well as the settings for the actual size. If the format is different, or different values are set on the printer and the computer, then you need to correct the error;
- Stop the printer and allow it to rest if it has been running for too long and becomes warm. Overheating can cause the printer to chew on paper.
- foreign objects in the paper feed mechanism. Any object falling into it can both stop the printer and cause the paper to be chewed. Check the feeder if you encounter this problem.
The printer has jammed the paper: how to pull it out?
When an emergency at work, everything flies up and down: either tea accidentally spills on the keyboard, or you hit the monitor with your elbow threatening it to fall off the table, then the “hungry” printer will stealthily take and “swallow” the annual report at the most inopportune moment. Everything would be fine, only you can hardly explain to the chief and the checking authorities that the technician is to blame for the delay. Is it an excuse that the printer chewed the paper, you, alas, do not know how to pull it out? In this case, it remains only to fix it as soon as possible. And you can do it like this.
8 easy steps to solve the problem
The very first thing is to cancel the printer’s printing. To do this, in the system window, which shows the progress of printing, click the “Cancel printing” or “Cancel”.
If the printing process is not displayed in the form of a special window, it does not matter. In this case, use the Windows settings. To do this, on a PC with Windows 7, click the “Start” button and select the “Devices and Printers” tab:
The system will automatically suggest a list of printers that can be accessed on your computer. Find the desired one and click on its icon with the right mouse button. In the proposed menu, select “Open print queue”:
Next, in the window that opens, we look for the printed document and cancel its printing.
- We turn off the printer. To do this, simply pull the cord out of the network. In principle, you can do without this step, but, as they say, God protects the one who is careful.
- Now you can go on to inspect the paper jam. Depending on the model, the printer cover:
- move it to the side;
- open from the back.
In this case, proceed in the same way as when you insert the cartridge into the printer (new or used after refueling).
- We pull out the cartridge and carefully check the “insides” of the printer for foreign objects. Is there a missing paper clip, a piece of old paper, a splinter from a broken mug that you accidentally dropped on the printer in the morning? If such or similar items are still found, then carefully remove them from the printer using a cotton swab. There is no need to rush. If the printer is “clean”, the better, the less likely that any of the parts has been damaged.
- In principle, half of the work is over. The most important thing remains. to pull out the jammed paper. Depending on where she is stuck and you have to choose a method:
- paper wrinkles occur immediately after the start or in the middle of printing. In this case, the best option is to gently, without unnecessary movements, pull it towards the reverse print. Simply put, where the paper was inserted, we pull from there;
- paper is jammed at the end of printing and some of the printed text has already appeared. If this is your case, then also very carefully and carefully, just like a baby during childbirth, pull the paper towards you from the exit side when printing.
In any case, wherever the paper is jammed, you do not need to push it back. It is unlikely that this will work out.
What if the paper is “accidentally” torn? Cry crocodile tears. It’s a joke, so far nothing really terrible has happened. At least until you got inside the printer with a sharp knife.
In this case, we take tweezers (the one that is stored in a women’s cosmetic bag is quite suitable) and IMPORTANT we wrap it with adhesive tape, duct tape or electrical tape from the sharp end, so that during the “repair” from the “master” it does not turn into a “lomaster”. After that, as carefully as possible, again, without unnecessary jerks, we take out pieces of torn paper. One and all. In principle, it’s okay, really?
- After the heroes of the rescuers have removed the jammed paper, it is best to clean the rollers of the printer. In this case, we take a clean napkin, dip it in clean water (moisten, do not bathe) and gently wipe the rollers. In principle, if the urgency of the repair is off scale, you can skip this stage, but the print quality can be useless.
- It’s almost done. It remains to return the cartridge to your workplace and close the printer cover.
We turn on the printer to the network, load new paper and print the desired document.
P. S. If you don’t want the problem to recur:
- use quality paper designed for printing;
- fold it neatly into the printer feeder so as not to overload it;
- place the printer on a flat, stable surface.
How to prevent the printer from chewing on paper?
Every user of modern office equipment knows how annoying paper jams can be in a printer. This creates additional stress in the office. Paper jams can occur when paper is fed into the printer obliquely. Sometimes the product ignores the problem and the document is wrinkled. Some printer models stop after detecting that paper is jammed inside the machine.
If a paper jam occurs, some printing devices start blinking “asking for help”. Others give directions on how to fix the blockage. If your printer offers diagnostic tips, follow them. Here are the basic steps you should take to fix the problem:
- Turn off the printer. Work must be safe, as you are going to work with the “internals” of the printer.
- Start looking for a jam by opening the input tray. Next, open all the panels that can be found along the path of the paper.
- Pull out the sheets of paper and any jammed parts carefully. Remove the paper very carefully and slowly. If you find a breakdown of mechanical elements in the printer, contact the service department.
- Close all panels and turn on the printer. If the product reports that the paper is still jammed, check again for any torn pieces of paper inside. If the printer continues to complain, try restarting it. If this does not help you, contact the technical service center.
To avoid similar problems next time:
- Use only one type of paper for printing.
- Consider paper type, thickness, and other qualities in print settings.
- When loading paper, pay attention to the tray settings.
With patience and attention, you will overcome any printing problems!
What if the printer has jammed the paper? We solve the problem!
How do I clear jammed paper from the printer? What if the printer has jammed the paper? Answers in our material!
It seems that absolutely everyone is familiar with the situation when the printer “chewed” the paper, and at the same time, as if according to the universal law of meanness, this happens exactly at the moment when the file needs to be printed as urgently as possible or further active use of the printer is required.
So, there can be several reasons why the device jams on paper, and one of the most important is the worn out parts of the printer, for example, the paper feed roller. The question arises, why does a reason of this kind appear? Its source is the long and careless operation of the printer, when the life of its parts has almost come to an end. Only service technicians can fix the paper jam problem. Another main reason why paper jams in the printer is due to improper handling of the printer. There can be a lot of errors in this case, but even an ordinary user of such office equipment can eliminate most of them.
- Therefore, if paper is jammed in the printer, it is possible that the paper is of poor quality. You may be using old and wrinkled paper to print documents. To solve this problem, you just need to stop using drafts and constantly buy a new one. Otherwise, it will be much more difficult to solve a problem like “the printer chews up the paper what to do”!
- Another reason the printer wrinkles the paper may be due to sheets sticking to each other. How to solve this problem? The way out of this situation is as follows: take a stack and knock it on the table, or engage in flipping through all the sheets in order to separate them in this way. Also remember that when printing on the second side, be sure to let it cool down for a while after printing the first side.
What to do if paper jams in the printer
A problem such as a paper jam in the printer is one of the most common problems. Sooner or later, every owner of a copier, printer and mfp has to deal with it. When the printer chews the paper, the corresponding indicator on its panel lights up, after which the device refuses to continue the printing process. What to do in this situation and how to get a crumpled leaf? At first glance, this situation seems easily solvable, but in reality it is not. The fact is that you not only need to remove the sheet jammed in the printer, but also find out why the jam occurs.
Why the printer jams on paper and how to avoid it
Before we start talking about one of the most common breakdowns (the printer jams on paper), let’s figure out what this device is. So. A printer is a device external (separate) location from a computer, designed to output encoded digital information from computer files, convert it into text form and print it on paper.
Types of modern printing devices (printers)
During its relatively short history, the printer has gone through many evolutionary changes, and there is no point in listing them, starting with the first sample of this device.
Let’s name only the devices that are used today:
- dot matrix printers;
- photo printers;
- laser printers.
To prevent the printer from chewing on paper, be sure to insert it gently into the tray or slot. Make it straight enough and then adjust the clamps on the right and left. Be sure to adjust the width of the paper clip.
You need to insert a sheet into the device without dust, crumbs, staples and paper clips. quite often users forget about such simple rules. Pay special attention to the presence of staples, otherwise a serious malfunction may occur.
Thus, in order not to face the problem “the paper jammed in the printer, what to do”, follow all these simple recommendations.
Paper jams at the exit
Some problems with exit jams can be solved by yourself.
- Invalid page format. If the settings on the computer are set to a format that does not correspond to the format of the inserted sheets, it is necessary to bring their values to the correct.
- Long work. If the printer is printing intensively and for a long time, it overheats and begins to wrinkle the paper. You need to turn off the device and wait for cooling.
- Object falling into the sheet feeder. Anything small can interfere with the printer and make you chew on the paper. Check the mechanism and fix the problem.
How to deal with the problem yourself?
- Stop the printer by removing the power cord from the electrical outlet. Protect yourself and others.
- Undo a previously defined action on the computer.
- Raise the printer cover. She is either behind or on top.
- Remove the paper, after removing the cartridge, check the device for foreign objects. Get rid of the spoiled leaf. There is a developed technique: a sheet, chewed at the beginning or in the middle, must be pulled in the opposite direction of the print. If the sheet is deformed at the end, pull it along the print path. And when the paper is torn, use tweezers, better wrap it with tape, so you can remove the smallest pieces without damaging the parts of the device.
- Reinsert the cartridge. Close the printer cover.
- Turn on the printer to make sure it works.
How to continue printing after a jam
After removing the jammed paper, turn on the printer. Most likely, the machine will start working from the place of chewing, repeating the printout of the jammed sheet. Just in case, check if it’s reprinted. If not, start the document for printing, specifying only unprinted pages in the settings.
What to do if the printer jams paper?
First of all, when the printer chews the sheets, you should focus on the paper itself. It may have been placed incorrectly in the paper feed tray, for example:
- at an angle,
- pressed hard on the paper guides,
- the edge of the sheet is bent,
- there was a foreign object on the paper.
HOW TO FIX MOST PRINTERS “Paper Jams” service
But if you can easily cope with the first options with your own hands, then the latter can lead not only to paper jams, but also to breakdown of printer parts.
NOTE! Also, the reason that the printer crumples sheets can be a poor paper grip.
It is also possible that there is too much or too little paper in the tray.
Also, the paper in the printer may be of unsuitable quality, that is, too thin or too thick. This contributes to the fact that there would be jamming of the sheet during printing. Make sure the consumable you are using is of the right quality and continue working.
When you are convinced that there are no problems with the sheets of paper, then the matter is in the printer itself.
- The very first thing to check is the Pickup Roller. The gripper shaft itself may be damaged or simply dirty.
- Braking distance wear can also occur. This is the most common breakdown in Samsung models. The problem is that the rubber coating on the brake pad breaks down. This leads to the fact that the paper does not stay in the tray and is immediately captured by a couple of sheets of consumable material. In this case, this part needs to be replaced. You can do it yourself, or contact the Tonfix service.
- Overheating of the mechanical parts of the printer can be another problem. Most often this happens during printing in large quantities without interruption. In case of overheating, turn off the device and wait until it cools down. So that this does not happen again, it is necessary to print small pieces of information at least at minimal intervals.
- The printer wrinkles the edge of the paper. this could indicate a problem with the cartridge. There may be some defects left after refilling the cartridges. The solution to this problem is the same as when the printer smudges the paper.
These are the most common reasons why a printer might chew on paper. There are many more of these problems, but many of them are of a technical nature and are difficult to diagnose on your own. And to find them, you need to call specialists.
What to do if the printer has jammed the paper
The printer may jam pages if a paper size is selected in the settings that does not match those loaded in the tray. You need to stop printing and change the format settings on the computer, they must match the values in the printer properties.
The format can be selected in different tabs of the settings window. Location varies by printer model.
The reason is in the paper
Paper varies in weight and moisture. If the specifications differ from those recommended by the manufacturer of the printing device, the sheets will constantly jam. The reason for chewing may be incorrect installation of the guide rails.
The solution is not to use cheap, thin paper. Buy one that is not less than the one suggested by the manufacturer, but not higher than 90 g / sq.m. A too dense sheet will not be caught by the rollers or will heavily load the feed mechanism, which will lead to its breakage.