Film for laser and inkjet printers
Film for the printer appeared in the public domain 5 years ago. And although its price still bites (from 1 to sheet), the possibilities that it gives are truly incredible. And what is good, there are many types of films, which differ in properties, sizes, there are packs, in rolls, for large format printing.
So, what types of films are, and what kind of printer is needed to print on film?
Classification of films for printing
Most often, the following types are found on sale, depending on the material used:
- Polyvinyl chloride (PVC, etc.);
- Polyurethane, etc.
Types of films
By their properties, they are conditionally divided into the following groups:
- One-, two-sided;
- Matte, glossy;
- Transparent, opaque, translucent;
- White and colored;
- Self-adhesive and NOT adhesive;
- Waterproof and without resistance;
- Siliconized and with other types of special coatings;
- Thermal transfer and for printing at normal temperature, etc.
The most popular among users of transparent film for the printer is produced by very many manufacturers, both little-known and mega-popular, such as LOMOND, XEROX, WWM.
The produced film can be used in inkjet and laser printers and devices, in color and black and white. There are universal options as well as special ones, only for laser or inkjet printing.
Thin film (up to 100 microns) is designed for technologies with normal temperatures, and everything thicker than 125 microns can be used for thermal printing.
For even greater convenience of working with such material, it is processed during manufacture with an antistatic agent. The film, intended for display cases and billboards, has a solvent base for greater ink durability and more colorful images (up to 3 years warranty).
Scope of application
Do not look at the fact that film for a laser printer or inkjet is expensive, the possibilities of this direction are endless and the impeccable quality of the finished image makes it more and more popular.
The most common areas where images printed by printing or copier on film are successfully used:
- Making slides;
- Printing of advertising materials;
- Production of color separation forms;
- For raster and hatch projects;
- Creation of original layouts;
- For transferring pictures to dishes, fabric, various computer devices, any surfaces (magnets, rubber, etc.);
- Decoration of cars and motor vehicles using aquagraphics;
- Showcase decor;
- Production of posters, billboards, signs;
- Issue of stickers, labels, stickers, etc.;
- Transfer of temporary body tattoos;
- Production of protective stickers, warning stickers for office equipment, etc.
The base for adhesive films is kraft paper with silicone spraying on one side and an adhesive, water-soluble layer on the other.
In the manufacture of advertising slads and presentation materials, a two-layer film is usually used, it allows you to use one side for applying an image on pigment printers, the other on inkjet.
It is important to select the correct film for the printer you are using. Then the clarity of the picture, the realistic color rendition and the quality of adhesion to the toner will cause a real delight. When choosing a printer and film, you need to take into account the printing method and temperature conditions.
Tricks or useful tips
If you need to print on thermal transfer film for printing on a laser printer on inkjet, then you first need to apply the image on sublimation paper, then transfer the image to the film and only then transfer it to the finished product. If the thermal transfer film is for inkjet, then you can print directly, on almost any printer with water-based ink.
People’s experimenters manage not only to reuse the film, removing paint with a solvent, to use inkjet film for a laser printer, applying a layer of gelatin on it, but also to adapt the film for lamination for printing. If the film is thin, then craftsmen print on two sheets to achieve the desired thickness for thermal printing.
Choosing between inkjet printers to print on film, you don’t have to worry, even if the model is the simplest, 4-color. the result will be exceptional and almost indistinguishable when printed on a 6-color machine.
If the machine “does not see” the transparent film for an inkjet printer, then it is enough to draw a thick black line (0.5 cm) on the edge with a slate pencil or a marker for discs. Often there is a white square or strip of easy-to-peel paper on the film sheet, which allows the printer’s letter to be recognized. After printing, it is removed. It also allows you to take the letter film, do not leave fingerprints on it.
There is translucent tracing paper between the laser and inkjet transparencies. Its purpose is to separate the film and prevent sheets from sticking together.
Printers for printing on film: description and overview
Film printing has many uses today. Perhaps the main one is outdoor and indoor advertising, as well as the printing of various labels and stickers. Decoration of any advertisement using film printing. It is economical and practical.
Equipment for this is represented by plotters and solvent printers. The former are used to cut ready-made stickers, and the latter. Directly for printing.
When choosing such a printer, pay attention to the following characteristics:
- Printing surface. A printer for printing on self-adhesive film must have a vacuum type surface, otherwise the film will not adhere tightly to the surface.
- Brand. Brand popularity is not always guaranteed to ensure long service life and high build quality. The same China, contrary to popular opinion, produces printers in which the quality is not inferior to the famous brands of Europe.
- Printheads. When choosing, it is worth giving preference to heads with an extended service life for industrial purposes. For example, Epson heads have proven themselves well for interior printing. They are rather slow, but they provide high quality resolution. For general purpose and outdoor printing, experts recommend choosing Konica, Seiko or SPECTRA heads. At medium quality resolution, they provide fast print speeds.
- Carriage. This mechanism is distinguished by the possibility of adjusting the permissible distance between the material and the printheads and the method of movement. The carriage can move along a beam with a bearing or along a linear guide. When choosing, you should give preference to the first option. It has a long service life and will provide more accurate positioning.
This is a dedicated large format printer with additional features. For example, it can be used for shape cutting. The plotter will allow you to print on a wide variety of materials. Vinyl, film, cloth paper, etc.
A plotter printer for printing on film protects the resulting image from mechanical stress, and also increases resistance to the negative effects of ultraviolet radiation and weather conditions.
Types of films
According to their properties, films are divided into several types:
- Matte, glossy;
- One-, two-sided;
- Translucent, transparent, opaque;
- Self-adhesive and NOT adhesive;
- Waterproof and non-waterproof;
- Thermal transfer or for printing at normal temperature;
- Siliconized and with other types of special coatings;
- Colored and white.
Such a film is produced mainly universal. It is suitable for both laser and inkjet printers. But there are also films that are only suitable for inkjet or laser printing.
Film for printing on a laser printer appeared on the market several years ago. Its capabilities exceeded all expectations, but its price is far from the lowest. Despite this, the variety and choice of such a film on the sales market is wide enough, as they say, for every taste and color.
The Epson Stylus Photo 1410 model is perfect not only for printing large-format photo images, but also for high-speed color and monochrome printing of documents. Its distinctive feature is the high-resolution printing of photographs. 5760 x 1440 dpi.
This printer can print on the front surface of CDs, as well as labels and special films for printing on inkjet printers.
The printer uses Claria’s proprietary dye-based, water-soluble dye ink. Photos taken with their implementation will retain color brightness for 200 years when stored in an album.
An irreplaceable “employee” in design bureaus, a large-format printer for printing on HP Designjet T520 film, has found its application in companies that are associated with large volumes of printing of printed products. In advertising agencies, design and engineering bureaus. With its help, you can quickly and easily display photos and texts on film and paper in color and black and white.
Four colors of HP branded pigment inks are used to produce images at full resolution. An automatic cutter can be used for film rolls.
Canon imagePROGRAF iPF6400 plotter
Equipped with an innovative 12-color pigment ink system, this large format printer is designed for printing photos, labels, stickers and artwork. This device is used as a printer for printing on film in advertising agencies and retail chains. Special imaging technology provides smoother tone transitions, extended color gamut and improved scratch resistance.
The model features improved reproduction of blacks and rich tones, which allows you to achieve the exceptional print quality necessary for printing photos.
Economical and functional
With five separate ink tanks and Wi-Fi connection, the powerful Canon Printer PIXMA iP7240 is perfect for high-quality and fast printing of photos, banners, documents, films and CDs.
It is easy to connect to it from anywhere in the house from a mobile and stationary device. Taking into account the technical equipment, this printer for printing on film and paper guarantees its owners the following advantages:
- High quality and speed of color and black and white prints;
- Long service life;
- Extreme ease of use.
Thermal Transfer Printers
Industrial printers belong to the category of high-tech equipment with a complex structure and high performance. The main distinguishing feature of all industrial printers is a rugged design with an increased degree of protection, which is able to withstand mechanical stress, remaining in operation 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
In the “Specta” Company, customers are offered to purchase thermal transfer printers of various series. All equipment has the necessary certificates and meets international and Russian quality standards. Thermal transfer printers are used in large and medium-sized businesses with commercial activities and are used to print labels and barcodes.
Due to the high speed of the equipment, time costs are reduced several times, optimizing the workflow in production. The principle of operation of thermal transfer units is based on the use of an ink ribbon on a resin or wax base (depending on the specific model).
The ribbon used in this type of equipment is called ribbons. With this film, the image can be applied to carriers of different materials: paper, textiles, and so on. Ribbon has the form of a roll of Polyester film, on one side of which a coloring layer is applied, and on the other. Cover for printheads.
The ribbon is exposed to high temperatures, as a result of which the ribbon color pigment melts and is transferred to the supplied material (paper, cardboard, fabric). Thanks to this method of application, the seal remains unchanged for a long time. The image remains clear and bright even when exposed to aggressive external factors.
The print head in the printer is the main working element. It is this detail that has a direct effect on the ribbon. Due to the specialization of thermal transfer printers, the color contrast on finished products is maximized, which makes it easy to read information from a barcode.
Buy industrial printers at manufacturer’s price
Industrial printers are used today in a variety of industry areas. The models differ from each other in speed and quality of print resolution, the presence of a touch screen, the ability to connect additional devices, and the width of the media. Their popularity and demand are due to a number of factors:
- High performance. Printers for use in adverse industrial conditions have a reliable metal case, which protects the unit from mechanical damage;
- The ability to work with different materials. Applies a high-precision image using thermal transfer technology on the following types of materials: paper with cardboard, plastic with polyethylene, textile tapes and some types of fabric;
- The ability to equip the printer with additional external devices. Industrial printers can be connected to devices that can facilitate the workflow, increase its efficiency (keyboards for manual data entry, additional memory modules, scanners that control the quality of products);
- Additional useful options. Tape winders, dispensers for separating the label from the backing material;
- So that the operator can control the consumption of materials, the printer case on the side or top panel has a transparent window. The design of the products is so convenient that during the maintenance of the internal filling of the printer there is no difficulty.
A wired or wireless interface is provided for connecting the printer to the main system of an industrial plant. The thermal transfer printing speed is quite fast, which means that the workflow is characterized by high productivity and quality of the released product, while the finished labels or stickers are released in a continuous stream.
You can order industrial printers with delivery right now!
Varieties and uses of film for printing on laser printers
- Scope of application
- Useful Tips
In the modern world, not only ordinary paper is used for printing, but also other various (and sometimes the most unusual) materials. One of these is film. Today in our article we will consider the features and types of film for printing on a laser printer.
Film for printing on a laser printer has recently been used. On the one hand, this is a rather expensive material, which is not available for everyone. On the other hand, it opens up new and practically unlimited possibilities for users.
Due to the fact that the film is used for a variety of purposes, there is a wide variety of types of such material.
The main distinguishing feature of the film is the presence of a special adhesive layer, which in its physical characteristics is permanent and heat-resistant (however, there are varieties of films without such a layer). Film can be used for both color and black and white printing (it all depends on your needs and preferences).
The surface of the film provides the highest quality printing: contrast and sharpness. In addition, colors and shades are well reproduced. color and black and white images are distinguished by a high level of realism. Most types of films are waterproof and lightfast, which means that the paints will maintain their high quality for a long time, and not succumb to the influence of negative environmental conditions.
Due to the increasing popularity of printer film, manufacturers are inventing more and more new types of material.
First of all, the film is divided into categories depending on what raw material it was made from. Based on this characteristic, the following types of films are distinguished:
- Polyvinyl chloride;
- Polyurethane and others.
Another classification is based on material properties. Let’s list the most common:
- One- and two-sided (the second option is especially important to use if your printer has the appropriate two-sided printing capability);
- Matte and glossy (the choice of this or that option depends on what image you plan to subsequently apply to the material, and for what purposes the film will be used)
- Transparent, opaque and translucent (you should be guided by your Personal preference, as well as the purpose of the material);
- White and color (if you want to create the most contrasting image, it is better to choose the first option, however, in some cases, color film is also necessary)
- Self-adhesive and NOT adhesive (the first option is more modern and in many cases preferable);
- Waterproof and without resistance to water (the choice of one or another option depends on the conditions under which you will use the material. for the street you need to choose a waterproof film, and the standard version is also suitable for the room);
- Siliconized and with other types of special coatings (this indicator affects how long the material will last)
- Thermal transfer and for printing at normal temperatures (the choice depends on the individual characteristics of your printer).
Thermal transfer label printer cab SQUIX 4/300
- From 1930 €
- From 176 252 rub.
The SQUIX series is a further development of the successful cab A series printers.
The SQUIX printers have the fastest processor on the market. The same processors are now used in the automotive industry.
The SQUIX series is equipped with 4.3 “color LCD touch screens. The user interface is modeled after the user interfaces of modern smartphones, and has direct access to individual menu items.
The design of the printheads has also been redesigned to provide more convenient and easy replacement when needed. Any printer can be equipped with heads with a resolution of 300 and 600 dpi.
Peripheral interface allows the new SQUIX series printers to use any peripherals designed for A series printers (cutter, applicator, external rewinder).
SQUIX printers have various I / O interfaces that can be individually programmed for any application.
With this model, labels are pressed against the left edge of the feed path, so this printer is designed to print on labels and continuous media fed from roll or stack (fanfold).
This version of the printer is mainly intended for thermal transfer printing! Direct thermal printing (no ribbon applied) and possible.
The operator can tear off the printed label or tag using a special serrated edge.
P ri Zhelani and. Printed labels can be cut with an optional cutter or rewound with an external rewinder.
|Print resolution||300 dpi|
|printing method||Thermal transfer printing / possible. Direct thermal|
|print speed||up to 300 mm / s|
|memory||256 M RAM|
up to 512g Flash (using optional SD memory cards)
|Print width||up to 105.7 mm|
|Max. Print length||2000 mm)|
|Substrate width||from 20 to 116 mm|
|Max. Roll diameter||205 mm|
|Ink ribbon diameter||up to 90 mm|
|Max. Length / |
|600 m / 114 mm|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||252 x 288 x 460 mm|
|Environment||Working temperatures: 0-40 ° С; Humidity: 10 85% non-condensing|
|Power supply||220-240 V / 47 53 Hz, max 300 W|
) Depends on material and adhesive properties. Requires preliminary testing.
Thermal transfer printer. Thermal transfer printer, what does it do
Consider what a thermal transfer printer is. A thermal transfer printer works on the principle of thermal transfer printing. This is a technology in which the dye is transferred from the ink ribbon (ribbon) to the printed surface. Ink ribbon (ribbon) is located between the print head and the substrate. Under the influence of high temperature, the head transfers the dye (image) to the material.
During the process of work, the tape is fed, unwinding from one roll, and wound on another.
By the way, the principle of thermal transfer printing can be reproduced at home, and thus transfer the desired image to your T-shirt. The resulting image will be bright and stable.
Thermal printing can be used to print on various materials:
- Overalls made of natural and synthetic materials,
- Cardboard and others.
The thermal transfer printer is most often used for printing labels, various barcodes, stickers and markings. This makes it possible to obtain abrasion and environmental resistant markings with a long service life.
As a rule, such devices are printed on strips of material no more than 20-25 centimeters wide.
Without such devices, it is difficult to imagine the effective work of logistics and trade companies, as well as manufacturing enterprises.
The heads of modern printers are angular or flat, and provide a service life of up to 100 kilometers of ribbon.
To save more ribbon, printers are able to turn off ribbon supply where it is in a given location.
Consider some models of popular thermal transfer printers.
Thermal transfer label printer Godex G300 is an inexpensive device that allows you to print labels on various media: paper, fabric, polypropylene, etc.
The print quality is different, from 200 to 300 dpi. The advantage of the printer is the ability to print on non-standard materials of various sizes; including large rolls of film.
The special structure of the label sensor protects it from contamination and makes it possible to work with materials of various hardness.
The disadvantages of the printer include:
- No watch,
- Unable to attach label cutter.
The benefits include:
- Large enough RAM and powerful processor,
- Built-in three control languages.
Designed for printing labels, which allows you to apply images on films from different materials: paper, polypropylene and thermal labels.
The advantages of the printer include:
- Ability to print in various modes,
- High speed,
- High quality film feeding mechanism,
- Easy to replace ribbon,
- Can handle rolls up to 11 cm in diameter,
- Economical and convenient to operate.
GODEX EZ-1100 Plus
A barcode printer is also used in the manufacture of labels. Prints on film, paper and fabric materials.
To speed up the work, the printer of bar labels on the principle of double buffering. While one label is being printed, the other is being processed by the printer.
For materials of large sizes, there is a special hole through which they can be passed. In addition, it is possible to install an external holder for large rolls.
The advantages of the printer include:
- High print speed,
- Increased head resource,
- Possibility to install a label cutter.
The thermal transfer printer allows you to print on materials up to 5 cm wide. This makes it possible to quickly produce checks, labels, price tags, tickets, various markings.
The advantages of the device include a low price, ease of use and the ability to work with three control languages.
Thermal transfer paper for inkjet printers
There are three types of thermal transfer paper for inkjet printers: based on artificial resin, wax, and a mixture of THESE two components. Ribbons are distinguished not only by their composition, but also by their size (width and length of the tape) and the placement of a layer of paint.
Used as a consumable material for thermal transfer printers. The thermal head of the device heats up and transfers the dye from the tape to the material.
A Thermal Transfer Label Printer With Proper Care Can Do Anything With Proper Care For Many Years.
Now you know what a thermal transfer printer is.