HP printer does not pick up paper?
One of the problems that you can try to solve yourself is a situation when the printer refuses to take paper from the tray or picks it up, but not in the way it should be done. First you need to find out what the reason is, after which it will be easier to fix the problem.
Paper feed problems
It also happens that all of the above actions and even replacing or cleaning the roller does not give any results. The thing is that the paper feed units are worn out. For example, over time, the printer begins to loose the metal bar on the brake pad, play appears in the paper pick-up roller sleeve, or the tray mounts wear out. The result is a gap of a couple of millimeters in size. This is enough for an error to pop up on the display or the printer stops picking up paper.
How to deal with such malfunctions? There are several options:
- Someone changes the tray mounts in places or puts new ones;
- Others deepen them a little by placing a toothpick or a piece of plastic;
- If there is no metal bar on the brake pad, then it is replaced with strips of metallized adhesive tape;
- Metallic tape will also help if there is any looseness in the sleeve. To do this, a couple of skeins of metallized adhesive tape are made around its base (in the direction of movement of the coupling!). Then a little grease is added. The main thing is not to overdo it with the amount of scotch tape. Otherwise, during operation, the paper pickup clutch will crack or stop functioning altogether.
- By the way, printers have one more “sore. They often have a dirty paper sensor. Its tasks include adjusting and controlling the position of the flag that rises when the sheet passes. Naturally, a jam occurs and the subsequent paper feed is no longer possible.
Occasionally staples, pieces of cloth, or other foreign objects get caught in the machine. This happens especially often in an office, where dozens of people use the printer, who are not always careful in handling ornaments. Foreign objects can temporarily block the operation of the printer or even damage it.
Disconnect the device. Check the paper tray and clean it if necessary. Then open the lid. If you are using a laser printer, remove the cartridge. Examine the inside of the device carefully and if you find any foreign objects, remove them. Then put the cartridge back in place, close all covers, put paper in the tray, plug in the product, and try to print something.
Why the HP printer won’t pick up paper?
The main reasons for the printer to stop picking up paper are:
- Out of paper.
- Manual feed mode is on.
- Paper guide is not positioned correctly.
- Too rough or damp, wrinkled paper.
- Torn sheet in a clump of paper.
- Damage to the pick-up roller.
- The paper has the wrong grain direction.
This may be due to a software failure, in which case the printer does not catch the paper. You can fix the software glitch by simply rebooting the device. To do this, turn on the printer and wait until it boots up, and then disconnect the rear power cord. If the printer is connected to a separate power supply, unplug it and.
If the laser printer does not pick up paper, keep it off for 15 seconds and reconnect. After that, the device should turn on automatically, but if this does not happen, press the power button. Further, you can try to print any document and check the serviceability of the equipment. If the printer still does not print, go to the next step.
HP printer does not pick up paper. how to fix the problem?
Most often, the following methods can be effective when the printer does not pick up paper:
- try printing on a different paper;
- inspect the roller to see if it turns;
- if the printer is crooked and does not pick up the paper well, wipe or replace the rubber of the roller;
- start printing on heavier paper and try to push through any jammed paper (use force when picking up paper).
Does not pick up paper due to the feed rollers
The pick rollers are often dirty during use. Cleaning requires clean filtered water, a lint-free cloth and cotton swabs.
It is impossible to use alcohol-containing products, as they will only worsen the condition of the rubber rollers.
- Turn off the power.
- If the access to the rollers is free, wipe them with a damp cloth.
- If access is difficult, use a cotton swab dipped in water and squeezed out. It wipes off the accessible part of the rollers, then the shaft with the rollers turns and the cleaning is repeated.
- Turn on the printer.
- For test printing, feed the sheet by hand by pushing slightly.
The rollers can be very worn out, then you can turn the rubber over so that the worn layer looks inward. You can also remove the roller and wind several turns of electrical tape to increase its diameter by only a millimeter. These are temporary measures, it is better to make a replacement as soon as possible.
Resetting Printer Settings
If the printer was working without interruption and suddenly stops picking up paper, a simple restart can correct the situation. The procedure will reset the device settings and clear the memory with existing errors.
- Turn on the device.
- Wait until the preparatory stage is completed, and unplug the power cord from the back panel. If a separate power supply unit is provided on the cable, it is also unplugged from the outlet.
Does not pick up paper due to foreign objects
Small things like staples, buttons, pen caps, staples, or pieces of paper can get caught in the cabinet or tray when loading paper, replacing a cartridge, or simply through careless handling of the printer.
If the printer does not pick up the paper due to foreign objects inside, follow these steps:
- Examine the paper tray. Examine especially carefully the edge area that connects to the page feeder. Use a flashlight for a better inspection.
- Pull out the cartridge. Unfold and shake it lightly. Shake the dye containers gently from the inkjet printer. At the jet, the diaper is first checked, if it is heavily soiled, rinsing or replacement is done.
All detected foreign objects must be removed. The printer parts are replaced, the covers are closed, and a test print of 10-25 pages is performed.
To check the print settings, open any text editor that can print documents. For example, any of the programs in the Microsoft Office suite. Run the program, open any file and press the CtrlP key combination. In the window that opens, click on “Properties”. Make sure that the correct paper size is selected in the basic settings. In most cases, A4 should be indicated on the line. If a failure occurs and the format is incorrect, you need to make changes.
Checking the paper quality
If the printer does not take new paper from the tray, the quality issue may be the problem. The type of paper you are using must match what the manufacturer indicates in the instructions for the printing device.
The optimal density value is 80 g / sq.
Especially carefully it is necessary to select photo paper for printing on inkjets, not every printer can print an image on this type of media.
If you are using paper of a suitable weight, look for other problems in it.
- Remove the sheets from the compartment.
- Take a portion of the stack and check for wrinkled, folded, and torn pages. If there are any, remove.
Feed unit malfunction
The supply system assembly quickly breaks down during intensive use of the printer. This reason for poor grip is typical for Epson and Brother machines. In Samsung printers, over time, the metal bar on the brake pad comes off and a backlash appears in the pick roller bushing.
The malfunction can be eliminated only at the service center. Self-repair only helps for a while and usually leads to even more damage to the printer.
For devices with two trays
Some MFP models have not one, but two paper trays. The reason for the refusal to take paper may be the wrong paper drawer specified in the settings. Trays are usually signed by the manufacturer as “1”, “2” or “top”, “bottom”. Make sure there is enough paper in the desired compartment. You need to enter the settings through the menu of the printer itself using the display on the case.
What to do if the printer won’t pick up paper
It is a very common problem when, after sending a document to print, MFPs and printers do not pick up the paper. This periodically occurs with both laser and inkjet devices, various models of HP, epson, Samsung and others. To get rid of problems of this kind, you first need to determine the cause of their occurrence. Often the problem is associated with minor software glitches, the use of paper of inappropriate quality, wear of the rollers over time, and various objects getting inside the printer. Such problems are usually eliminated very simply, with your own hands, without the help of specialists.
Another common reason that the printer does not take paper is the poor quality of the latter. To troubleshoot in this case, proceed as follows:
- remove previously inserted sheets from the tray;
- check the conformity of the paper in terms of size and density (80 g / m²);
- align 20 sheets by knocking their edges on the table;
- load the pack into the tray until it stops, adjusting its position with the guides;
- send the test file for printing.
If the document prints out normally, then the reason has been found, you can continue to work as usual. If unsuccessful, consider other probable problems.
The printer or all-in-one does not pick up paper even if the settings of the drivers responsible for printing documents are changed. The procedure for correcting the problem in this case is as follows:
- having opened any text file, go to the print window;
- the device used is selected there;
- using the “Functions” tab set the type of paper used, sheet sizes;
- save the changes made;
- perform a proof print of the selected document.
Broken paper feed unit
Roller manipulation may not produce the desired effect. The fact is that not only they are responsible for grabbing the paper. Each printer has other feed nodes. With frequent use, they can be too worn out and cease to fulfill their functions. There is too much gap, because of which the paper simply does not pick up.
There are several ways to deal with this problem.
- Try replacing the tray mounts. Sometimes it’s enough just to swap them.
- Place plastic or cardboard underlays.
- To get rid of the backlash of the sleeve, you can make a couple of turns of metallized tape around its base. The main thing is not to overdo it with the number of layers. Winding up a lot of tape will create excessive resistance and will not grip the paper.
Canon printers have another weakness. Very often they have dirty paper sensor. It is necessary to control the flag that rises when the sheet is fed. If the sensor is defective, a jam occurs and further paper feed becomes impossible.
General printer and software performance check
Checking the printer should begin by assessing its performance and the presence of software failures. It is immediately necessary to find out if the rollers are rotating. To do this, proceed as follows:
- turn on the device;
- after waiting for the time of its preparation for work, the green indicator should light up;
- then they send the document for printing, while a sound will occur caused by the movement of the carriage, rotation of the axis;
- if everything is normal, then the sheets should be fed for printing, there were no software failures, the mechanism is operational.
When, after connecting to the network and pressing the power button on a xerox, brother, Canon or any other model, the corresponding indicator does not light up, it is better to contact a specialist.
The same should be done in the absence of practical experience in repairing such equipment.
You will also need to resort to the help of the service center professionals if, after sending to print, the rollers and carriage do not move. But first, you can try resetting the settings to eliminate the possibility of a software failure. To do this, proceed as follows:
- turn on the printing device until it is fully ready for work;
- turn off the power completely by disconnecting the corresponding cord;
- wait about 15 seconds;
- connect the cord in place;
- power is supplied, while the printer should work automatically, if this does not happen, press the corresponding button;
- print a test document using the control panel or by pressing a button of their choice for 4 seconds (this does not work on all models).
If the parts (roller, carriage) begin to move, and the verification document is printed, then you can work further. The cause of the problem in this case was caused by a malfunction in the control program. When everything works, and the paper does not come in at all or the sheets are taken only halfway, then the cause should be looked for by further checking.
Foreign objects inside
One of the possible reasons that the printer does not pick up paper or does it poorly, may be foreign objects falling into the device. To get them, they do this:
- turn off the power supply of the printing equipment;
- remove the paper and remove, if possible, the feed tray and output tray;
- a cartridge is taken out in a laser printer;
- opening all the covers, inspect the device for foreign objects, and if detected, remove them;
- assembling the printer;
- insert paper into the tray (20 sheets are enough);
- turn on the device;
- print test text.
Small pieces of paper can also cause problems. If any scraps are found, be sure to remove them. In the event that an unsatisfactory result is obtained, it is required to carry out repair work further.
Checking the rollers and cleaning them
A common problem with missing paper picks is internal malfunctions. Most often this is due to the fact that the roller responsible for gripping the paper has become very dirty during operation and has ceased to perform its functions. This is a natural process associated with long-term use of the device.
In this case, the problem is solved by simply cleaning the rollers. To do this, prepare the following:
- cotton buds;
- a rag or cloth that does not leave lint;
- clean water (ideally distilled).
It is recommended to avoid the use of any cleaning agents or alcohol-based products. It is best to use special preparations for cleaning rubber. Alternatively, the “Copycliner” will do. If there is nothing at all, then water will do. Roller cleaning process:
- Printer is de-energized.
- The liquid is moistened with the cloth and the rollers are cleaned with it. In the process, the rag must be changed several times until dirt spots stop appearing on it.
- When some rollers cannot be reached with a rag, cotton swabs are used.
When cleaning, it is important to ensure that no liquid gets into the printer itself. To make it easier to clean the rollers, you can first slightly loosen the clips. Some models allow you to pull them out of the device altogether. In this case, cleaning will be much easier.
A second reason for not picking up paper can be worn rollers. A simple solution to the problem is to replace the rollers. However, you can do it differently.
- Gently slide the roller and turn it over.
- Pull out the roller and wrap it tightly with electrical tape in several turns. Then set it back. Such a simple procedure can prolong the service life of the old roller for some time.
However, these measures are temporary and it is best to replace the old rollers.