Deleting Autorun.Inf File
If the antivirus check did not give clear results, you can try to find the Autorun.Inf file on the USB flash drive and delete it. Unfortunately, you can use this option only if you can open the USB flash drive and it is displayed in Windows Explorer.
Do the following:
First, you will need to make sure that all files on the flash drive that have the “Hidden” attribute are displayed. Viruses usually assign this attribute to all files on the medium. In the Windows taskbar, click on the magnifying glass icon and enter in the search term “Show hidden files and folders”. Select the desired result.
USB flash drive recovery
This option is very SIMilar to the previous one, as it involves checking and correcting errors on the media using the utilities built into the system:
- Open “This computer” to Access all drives in the system.
- Right-click the icon of the faulty device and select Properties from the context menu.
- Next, open the “Service” tab. Here you need to use the “Check” button.
- It will check the media for errors. If any are found, the system will prompt you to eliminate them.
What to do if Windows 10 does not see a USB stick
In fact, there can be a lot of problems due to which the operating system does not see your flash drive. First of all, it is recommended to check whether the USB flash drive itself and the ports into which you insert it are working properly. The best way to do this is by connecting the media to a second device via a SIMilar USB port. If everything is fine there and the device is displayed, then the device is physically working properly. If you suspect that the USB port on your computer is faulty, try inserting another device into it. Provided that it connects and displays normally, proceed to solving the problems described below.
Troubleshoot problems from Microsoft
In Windows 10, a utility for troubleshooting computer problems is already installed by default. Sometimes it can help solve the problem with the display of USB media when connected to a computer. If you have such a utility, then download it from the official Microsoft website.
Perform troubleshooting according to the following instructions:
- Run the diagnostic and troubleshooter. Here you will only need to click on the “Next” button.
- Wait while the program scans your computer for system errors.
- When the scanning procedure is over, you will be able to read the detailed report. To fix the detected problem, you only need to name it by its name.
- The procedure will begin to correct the problem. Wait for its completion and do nothing.
Incorrect USB drive letter
If the letter that designates your USB flash drive in the system is the same as the letter of any other device, then the system SIMply will not be able to display it correctly. In this case, you just have to try to change the drive letter manually. This is done as follows:
Click on the magnifying glass icon in the taskbar and enter the value “Computer Management” there. Open the item displayed in search results.
For normal functioning of the computer and all devices connected to it, you must have new versions of drivers installed. Fortunately, this problem can be easily resolved by updating or installing the correct drivers. You can do this by using special programs for automatic download and installation of drivers or the built-in Windows toolkit. “Device Manager”.
Let’s look at the example of the DriverPack Solution program, how to update and / or install the necessary drivers on a computer:
Go to the official website of the software developer. There click on the button “Install all necessary drivers”.
As a standard way to update / install drivers in Windows, you can consider the implementation of the “Device Manager”:
Open “Device Manager” in any way convenient for you. For example, this can be done using the magnifying glass icon. In the search box that appears, write the name of the object you are looking for. Among the options found, click on the one you need.
Your USB flash drive with which you are experiencing problems may be in one of three branches “USB controllers”, “Disk devices” or “Other devices”.
If you failed to update the drivers through the “Device Manager” in this way, then follow the alternative instructions:
- Expand the branch with your flash drive and right-click on it. From the context menu select the “Properties” option.
- Next, open the “Drivers” tab. Here you need to uninstall the old driver. Use the button of the same name. Confirm the deletion if the system requires it.
Infection with viruses
In such cases, the system will usually show the connection of the media itself, but you will NOT be able to open it (get an error) or when you open it, you will get an empty directory. If so, then be sure to scan your computer using Special anti-virus programs. As a rule, after scanning, you will be able to remove detected threats or quarantine them.
In the new editions of Windows 10, Windows Defender Standard is a powerful enough program to find and eliminate viruses. Instructions for using it in this case will look like this:
Open Windows Defender. This can be done by invoking the search term using the magnifying glass icon in the taskbar. In the search term they will register “Windows Defender Security Center”. Choose the appropriate one among the issuance options.
Now, in the antivirus interface, click on the “Virus and threat protection” tile.
Find the inscription “Start new advanced scan”. Click on it.
Select a test option. If there are real reasons to suspect a virus infection, then it is better to put a marker opposite the “Full scan” option. After that click on the “Scan now” button.
Windows 10 does not see USB stick: solution to the problem
Users of Windows 10 and the second versions of this operating system face a problem when the flash drive functions normally and is connected to the computer, but the system does NOT display it in any way. To cope with this problem, you need to find out its cause, and then look for ways to eliminate it. The following article will discuss popular reasons why a USB flash drive may NOT appear in Windows 10 when connected. Each problem will be given instructions on how to resolve it.
- What to do if Windows 10 does not see a USB stick
- Infection with viruses
- Deleting Autorun.Inf File
- USBOblivion program
- Outdated drivers
- Troubleshoot problems from Microsoft
- USB flash drive recovery
- Incorrect USB drive letter
- USB formatting
- Incorrect BIOS settings
- Incorrect controller firmware
Sometimes it happens that after installing updates, the system stops correctly displaying USB-drives. In this case, you can fix the problem using the USBOblivion program. It is recommended to back up the registry before starting the procedure. This can be done using third-party programs such as CCleaner.
It is recommended that you remove all flash drives from your computer before using USBOblivion. Now do the following:
- Run USBOblivion. If you downloaded it from the official site, then you will have an archive with two software versions. for 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems. Select the Appropriate file for OS and run it.
- In the window that opens, tick all the boxes that are located at the bottom. These are “Do real clean” and “Save backup”. Then you will need to use the “Clean” button.
USB Device Manager and Driver
In this part, we will talk about how to fix the USB device NOT recognition error in the device manager of Windows 7, 8 or Windows 10. Note that these are several methods at once and, as I wrote above, they may or may not work specifically for your situation.
So, first of all go to the device manager. One quick way to do this is to press the Windows keys (with the logo) R, type devmgmt.Msc and press Enter.
Your unidentified device will most likely be located in the following sections of the manager:
- USB controllers
- Other devices (and called “Unknown device”)
If this is an unknown device in other devices, then you can, by connecting to the Internet, right-click on it and select “Update drivers” and, perhaps, the operating system will install everything that is needed. If not, then the article How to install an unknown device driver will help you.
In the event that an unknown USB device with an exclamation mark appears in the USB Controllers list, try the following two things:
- Right-click on the device, select Properties, then on the Driver tab, click Rollback if available, and if not, click Remove to uninstall the driver. After that, in the device manager, click “Action”. “Update hardware configuration” and see if your USB device has ceased to be unrecognized.
- Try to go to the properties of all devices with the names Generic USB Hub, USB Root Hub or USB Root Controller and on the Power Management tab the checkbox “Allow this device to be turned off to save power” is unchecked.
Another way, the performance of which had to be seen in Windows 8.1 (when the system writes error code 43 in the description of the problem USB device is NOT recognizable): for all the devices listed in the previous paragraph, try the following in order: right-click. “Update drivers”. Then. search for drivers on this computer. select the driver from the list of already installed drivers. In the list you will see a compatible driver (which is already installed). Select it and click “Next”. after reinstalling the driver for the USB controller to which the unidentified device is connected, it can work.
USB device is NOT recognized in Windows
If, when you connect a USB flash drive, external hard drive, printer or a second device connected via USB in Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 (I think it is applicable to Windows 10) you see an error stating that the USB device is NOT recognizable, this instruction should help solve the problem. The error can occur with USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 devices.
The reasons that Windows cannot recognize the USB device can be different (there are really many of them), and therefore there are several solutions to the problem, while some will work for one user, others for the second. I will try not to miss anything. See Also: Requesting USB Device Descriptor (Code 43) Failed on Windows 10 and 8
First steps when the error “USB device is not recognized
First of all, if you have the specified Windows error when connecting a flash drive, mouse and keyboard or something else, I recommend making sure that this is NOT the fault of the USB device itself (this, at least, will save you time).
To do this, just try, if possible, connect this device to a second computer or laptop and check if it works there. If not, there is every reason to believe that the reason is in the device itself and the methods below will probably NOT work. It remains only to check the correctness of the connection (if wires are used), connect NOT to the front, but to the rear USB port, and if nothing helps, you need to diagnose the device itself.
The second method that you need to try, especially if the same device used to work normally before (and also if the first option cannot be implemented, since there is a second computer):
- Disconnect the USB device that is not recognized and turn off the computer. Pull out the plug from the outlet, then press and hold the power button on the computer for a few seconds. this will remove the remaining charges from the motherboard and accessories.
- Turn on your computer and reconnect the problem device again after Windows boots. Chances are it will work.
The third point, which can also help faster than all, which will be described below: if a lot of equipment is connected to your computer (especially to the front of the PC or via a USB hub), try disconnecting the part of it that is not needed right now, but the device itself error, if possible Connect to the back of the computer (unless it is a laptop). If it worked, you don’t have to read further.
Optional: if the USB device has an external power supply, connect it (or check the connection), and if possible, check if this power supply is working.
USB 3.0 devices (flash drive or external hard drive) are not recognized in Windows 8.1
On laptops with the Windows 8.1 operating system, the USB device NOT recognizing error is quite common for external hard drives and flash drives working via USB 3.0.
To solve this problem, changing the settings for the laptop power scheme. Go to Windows Control Panel. Power Options, select your power plan and click “Change advanced power settings”. Then, in the USB parameters, disable temporary disabling of USB ports.
I hope that one of the above will help you, and you will NOT see any messages indicating that one of the USB devices connected to this computer is not working correctly. In my opinion, I listed all the ways to fix the error that I had to deal with. Additionally, the article Computer does not see the USB flash drive can also help.
The BIOS may not see your card. Or if you have a laptop with 2 cards, then the priority may be incorrect. After resetting the settings, check if this is really the problem.
To solve the problem:
- Reboot your PC.
- To the appearance of the Windows boot window, hold down the special keys that are responsible for entering the BIOS.
Viruses can severely damage the system. There are a huge number of them on the Internet, so it is very easy to pick up, especially when downloading a file from unverified sources. Antivirus must be installed on the PC (which one is better to choose, see here)
To check the system for viruses (consider the example of a program from Avast):
- Download the antivirus from the official website and install.
- Run a virus scan.
- If detected, delete malicious files.
- Reboot your computer.
The SIMplest and most common problem that occurs as a result of improper shutdown of the computer. A SIMple reboot is usually sufficient for a solution.
You can also scan system files and replace broken ones.
- In the search for the computer, enter “Run”.
- Enter the command “sfc / scannow” and Wait for execution.
- Reboot your PC.
This reason most often arises due to the fact that the drivers are outdated or missing altogether. To solve the problem:
- Search for the computer “Device Manager” and open it.
- Open the “adapters” tab.
- After selecting the card, click on it with RMB → “Remove device”.
- Reboot your PC.
- Download drivers from the official site and run them.
- After the installation is complete, restart your PC.
How to conduct a more detailed driver check, see here.
This problem is relevant if the card was taken out or just installed.
To test this variant of the problem:
- Be sure to power off the computer.
- Remove the PC side cover.
- Check if the card is firmly seated in the connector on the motherboard.
- If necessary, remove it and reinstall.
- Close the lid and turn on the PC.
If these actions did not help, then the reason is different.
Embedded card issues
If you have a problem with the integrated card on your laptop, then this problem can also be solved.
- Download drivers for the card and chipset from the official site.
- Install drivers for the chipset.
- After the chipset, install on the card.
- Reboot your laptop.
If it was in the drivers, then the map will be displayed.
What to do if the computer does not see the card
A card is an essential element of a PC and laptop. She is constantly in work and transfers considerable loads, respectively, sometimes malfunctions may occur.
The most common problem with this component is when the computer does not see the card in Device Manager. The proposed solutions are suitable for Nvidia, AMD Radeon and others.
Potential Issues and Solutions
There are not so many reasons for a malfunction, they are all completely solvable. To do this, you need to figure out what the breakdown is.
If the above steps did not help, and the card did not appear in the device manager, then we assume that it is faulty. This is especially true for gamers, since the card was actively loaded. In this case, you will have to contact the service center for the help of specialists.
What to do if the computer does not see the card in Windows 10?
It is NOT rare that an operating system update leads to problems with the hardware, in particular with the cards. For example, often the newest Windows 10 in the computer refuses to recognize the graphics device. Most of the difficulties arise after updating Windows. Since when installing Windows 10 “from scratch”, users hardly encounter such problems.
This article discusses in detail the issues that arise with the definition of a computer with a new operating system of the following graphics devices: Intel HD Graphics, NVIDIA GeForce, or AMD Radeon. There is a possibility to solve the problem when the computer with Windows 10 does not see these devices by using Several methods.
In the second version, the display will display absolutely nothing and the user’s eyes will SIMply see a kind of reconstruction of the painting by Kazimir Malevich “Black Square”. In this case, several conclusions can be drawn, for example, a malfunction of the graphics device itself or problems with hardware compatibility, and with a significant probability this can be caused by a conflict between the device and the computer motherboard.
The process of installing card drivers in Windows 10
First, provide the computer with drivers by visiting the official pages of the card manufacturers. Then it proceeds to remove the already installed software devices.
How to uninstall drivers?
It is required Not only to uninstall the existing software, but also then NOT to let the operating system take from its own resources and then install them. Incorrect installation of device software Reduces the speed of the system as a whole and is the main prerequisite for why the OS does not see the equipment.
There is a manual removal method using the “Control Panel”. To do this, open the “Control Panel” and enter “Programs and Features”. Where to find everything related to a specific card model and delete them. Then reboot the PC. This method is quite NOT complicated and even beginners can handle it successfully.
But this method has a couple of significant disadvantages:
- Significant time consumption and inconvenience to fish out programs to remove them one by one;
- The manual method leaves many files and branches of the graphics hardware software, as well as their Possible partial recovery after manual intervention.
It is recommended to use the special “Display Driver Uninstaller” application to complete the task. It is free and completely automatically copes with the problem.
How to configure graphics hardware in Windows 10?
The main problem due to which the OS does not recognize the hardware is that the required drivers are SIMply not installed to ensure the full functioning of, for example, a card.
This is due to the sluggishness of some card manufacturers, and not having time to develop new software for Windows 10, and Microsoft itself will not modify its software to match specific card models. And also very often users face the problem that the necessary software for graphic devices cannot be installed on a PC.
Solving the problem using “Display Driver Uninstaller”
Install the program is available from the Official page “Display Driver Uninstaller”. It is necessary to install it on a PC, but you just need to name it “Display Driver Uninstaller.Exe” and the application will open.
Important! It is advisable to work with the utility after booting into the safe mode of Windows 10. You will need to hold the “Win” button and call it “R” and enter “msconfig” in the window that opens. Then open the “Download” tab and mark the required Windows. Put a check mark on “Safe Mode” Click on “Apply” and restart your computer.
In the main menu of the application, the user will see the following:
- Check the devices of the software to be removed;
- Options for operations: complete removal followed by rebooting the system, also without overloading and removing and disabling the graphic device.
It is recommended to stay at 1 recommendation.
Before starting actions, it is recommended to name it “Options” in order to make settings.
How Microsoft responded to this problem?
The creators of Windows 10 themselves advise, in case of such difficulties, the following:
- As soon as the activation of the new Windows 10 is completed, it is recommended to restart the computer and then enter the “Device Manager”. Where more equipment should be displayed. Next, you need to reinstall the drivers on this hardware;
- Pre-install the frameworks of the required version before starting to install the drivers;
- A mandatory requirement is the iGPU connection in the BIOS, if there is a pair of graphic devices in the computer;
- Analyze. is there any chipset software for the motherboard. It is NOT rare that computer owners DO NOT pay attention to that when installing Windows 10, but it happens that it happens that they are NOT installed at all due to an inappropriate oregano.
It is recommended to download drivers only from the official resources of the companies that produce the cards. If there is no software suitable for Windows 10 for a specific graphics device, it is allowed to download drivers for Windows 8.
Next, you need to disconnect the PC from the global network and follow the following instructions:
- Perform software uninstallation (details on complete removal of drivers will be discussed in this article below)
- Then reboot the PC;
- Further, in order to install the drivers, you need to open a utility, for example, “Geforce”:
Alternatively, you can use the “Device Manager”. Where will they name the device and click on “Update”;
- Show the location of the driver and restart the PC again;
- Connect to the internet.
It should be noted that if the “Malevich Square” is displayed again, then you just need to give time to the computer. If after a minute the blackness on the display has disappeared, then you must press “Win” and “R” SIMultaneously. Then type “shutdown / r”. This will open a window that the user, of course, will NOT be able to contemplate, but it will work. It is required to wait at least 11 seconds and then they will call the “Enter” key. \. Wait six seconds again and press “Enter”. \ again. You cannot turn off the PC using the power key.
Disconnect the PC from the global network. Open the downloaded card driver file. After waiting for the complete installation of the drivers, restart the computer. After that, make sure that the OS sees the necessary hardware.