Why the device does not see paper and how to fix it
The problem with the printer HP does not see the paper is quite common and can appear after a certain period of inaccurate use. This malfunction may be caused by the failure of the sensor for detecting sheets in the automatic feed trays, a removable logical error or mechanical failure of the mechanism. What specific flaw is in question, and whether it is possible to fix it, as well as how to do it, you can find out after inspecting the printer device.
Printer HP cannot see paper
Initial inspection of the printer by visiting a service center
We figured out the main reasons why the device does not see or does not feed paper. Now you need to inspect the device and Reload its cache (RAM), when reinitialized without serious damage, the sheet sensor functionality is usually restored.
The very principle of why the sensor can NOT detect paper, for example, in the I805, consists in the problem of data exchange via the bus. in a logical error, memory overflow when new data is simply not processed, as well as in the sensor itself malfunction. At the same time, you should not make mistakes, find out why it does not work, and try to immediately disassemble your Epson or other device.
What exactly becomes the cause of the problem, you can figure it out by Analyzing the symptoms of your HP, Canon or Epson. After you restore the operation of your device, for example, Epson, you should observe how the device will behave in subsequent moments, and pay attention to coincidences in interruptions.
Paper feed roller
This list of operating states will help the service technician quickly identify the problem. If the situation repeats itself, then we are most likely talking about a hardware problem, a malfunction of a microcircuit or some kind of working unit, which regularly leads to failures. In this case, you do not need to do anything except a visit to the service.
With these guidelines in mind, inspect your device:
- The inspection will depend Not only on the brand of the printing device, for example, whether it is an Epson inkjet model or a Canon, HP, Oki or Kyocera laser and LED model. There is a significant difference in automatic sheet feeding in inkjet, laser models and all-in-one printer. But the inspection is the same everywhere. open the case and Inspect so that there are no scraps of paper and debris under the drum and rollers.
- Check the installation of the sheet feeder (HP has two or more). In SEPARATE cases, a contact sensor is used, which fixes the correct installation of the tray.
- Manually scroll the videos.
- Clean the mechanism from paper and other dust with a brush.
- Close the case and press the Reset button, holding it for a while. You can just turn off the device for a while and turn it back on. Please note that sheet feeders differ in different models, usually they separate vertical and horizontal sheet feeders. The location of the sensors may vary depending on the design. For example, a Canon horizontal feed printer does not see the paper and detects it by its own algorithm, different from the principles of the Epson or I805 inkjet models.
- Check the operation of the printing device via the Control Panel.
Suppose you have completed all of the Recommended Device Cleaning Steps, overloaded, the tray is correctly positioned against the back wall, and the printer still cannot see the paper in the tray.
Try to check its operability through the Windows Control Panel; for THESE purposes, standard tools or specialized software environment supplied with the device can be used. As a rule, a proprietary hardware application provides more complete information about breakdowns.
Print a test page
To access the Print Device Control Panel, do the following:
- Go to Control Panel in the “Hardware and Sound”. “View devices and printers” section;
- In the window you will see a list with an icon of available printing devices;
- Select your model and right-click to go to Printer Properties;
- Select “Test Print” and see the result
- Some proprietary software environments allow you to diagnose your model, for this follow the instructions of the system.
The main policy of manufacturers is the simplicity of setting up devices, even by inexperienced users, usually proprietary applications of the hardware level allow you to Get comprehensive information about the operation of the device.
Performance check and implementation of manufacturer’s recommendations according to instructions
Please note that each device is supplied with an instruction manual, which usually describes common failures. The problem with the paper sensor is quite common, therefore, the specifics of its solution in your model of the printing device can be read in the accompanying document.
Problem with the paper guides
The instruction contains a sequence of actions and recommendations for custom steps. With its help, you can quickly diagnose the model and fix the correctable error.
Where to go if printing fails
To avoid malfunctioning sheet sensors and ADF, use sheets of the recommended quality and weight, and do NOT exceed them or use poor quality raw materials. In this case, wear increases, which leads to a reduction in the service life.
The device does not see the paper what to do. Why can’t the product see paper even though it’s in the tray
Paper present sensor problem
The cartridges of printers manufactured by Xerox, Samsung, Oki have a chip with a built-in paper recognition sensor. The sensor counts the number of sheets used and blocks printing when the tray is empty. When the sensor breaks, then the device does not see the paper, although it is inside the tray. The malfunction can only be repaired in the SC.
Document settings problem
Word documents can store the settings for specific models of printing devices, so when you try to print a file taken from another computer, sometimes there is an inconsistency between the printer used and the settings of the previous computer. The problem is fixed according to the following scheme:
- Go to the path “File”. “Page Setup”. “Paper Size”.
- Next to the term “First page” and “Remaining pages” there should be an “autoselect” parameter.
In MS Office versions higher than 2010, the settings are located in the “Layout” tab.
Resetting Printer Settings
- Turn off the device.
- Unplug the power cord. If there is a separate power supply on the cable, disconnect that too.
- The printer must be de-energized for at least 15 seconds. Enough time to erase system board memory (RAM).
- Reconnect the printer to the mains by reconnecting the cable.
- If the device does not start automatically, press the power button on the body of the device.
- Print a test page.
Manual feed mode is on
- Go to the start menu.
- Open the “Devices and Printers” section. Or press WindowsR at the same time, then enter the command control printers.
- Select the desired model and right-click on it.
- Go to “Print Settings”.
- Click on “Source”.
- Choose “auto select”.
- Saving the changes made.
- Trying to print a document.
Other Possible Causes
- Incorrect print driver settings. To eliminate this reason, open the required document, simultaneously press the CtrlP key combination. In the window that appears, select the required printer and go to its properties. In the “Features” tab in the “Size” and “Paper Type” menus, select the desired options and save the changes.
HP single function printers. The computer displays an All Paper error message and the product does not pick up or feed paper
Computer displays an All Paper error and the product does NOT pick or feed paper from the tray.
Any of the following problems can cause this problem:
The paper trays are empty or overloaded.
The printable side or the shiny side of the paper is loaded facedown in the tray. For photo paper, always load the rougher side of the paper up.
The paper is too smooth for the product.
The paper may NOT be caught in the feed rollers.
Press the paper-width guide too tightly against the stack of paper.
The paper tray is NOT fully inserted into the machine.
The paper settings in the printer driver match the paper loaded in the paper tray.
Rubber paper feed rollers Dusty.
Turn on cookies and reload the page.
This process is automatic. Your browser will soon redirect you to the requested content.
Wait up to 5 seconds.
My product will not boot and will NOT print my printable label. HP Support Community
Thank you for contacting the HP support forums!
I understand that you are trying to print on 12 x 12 px sticker paper. I will definitely do my best to help you, and please be sure to return to this thread and mark “Accept as a solution” if I successfully helped you solve the problem. If you want to say “thank you” for my efforts to help, press “thumb up” to rate me.
Your printer can print 12 x 12 on plain paper according to the supported paper sizes. In doing so, it should work.
- Can I print on plain paper and other documents without jamming??
- Which application are you printing from?
- Make sure this paper is for inkjet printers.
- What brand of paper do you use?
If your paper has a peel-off base, do not remove it until printing is complete and you are ready to apply the decal.
Make sure you are printing on the correct side of the paper. Load paper print-side down in the tray.
Here is some information that might be helpful.
I would try to increase the print quality to the best or higher to slow down the printing process.
Hope this answers your question. Please reply to this post with results. Thanks for posting!
I work on behalf of HP
If you found this post useful, you can report it to others by clicking the ” Accept as decision “. You can also express your appreciation by clicking on the ” thumbs up ” !
Solved: The device does not feed card paper. HP Support Community
Welcome to the HP Community Forum.
Try telling the printer what type of media you are printing. If your media preferences do NOT include “cards” in your print settings, you need to select something similar: matte brochure paper, index card, etc. “this sounds like cardboard for the printer, so the printer expects” thick “paper.
Print options. Windows and Mac
And. Are NOT actually related, but may have something to do with:
Printing Labels_Business Cards_Cards
Click on the “like” to say thank you !
I. Click “Accept as solution” when my answer contains a fix or workaround!
I am pleased to provide assistance on behalf of HP. I do not work for HP.
The device does not see the paper what to do
Printers are special peripheral devices designed to transform and output information from electronic files and documents into a printed form on paper. Nowadays, various versions of devices have been created, differing in the printing method, composite mechanisms, design. But despite such a variety, the main task and the principle of their functioning do not change.
The printout consists of several steps:
- Correct equipment connection.
- Installing software and drivers for computer recognition of equipment.
- Setting the required parameters and adjusting the displayed text and image.
- Mechanical operation of the system and printing on paper using dyes.
- Output of a document in printed form.
Sometimes in the process of working in users there are problems with the functioning of the printer. One of the most common is a paper intrusion, the printer gives a message that it does not see it. In our article we will try to analyze the Possible causes and ways to eliminate them.
What to do if the device cannot see paper?
Initially, when the computer displays a paper out warning dialog box, check the Corresponding Slot. Usually, at high printing rates and large document volumes, users forget to replenish the stock of sheets in time, so there is a hitch when printing documents. This problem is easy to eliminate, it is enough just to replenish the stock on time and monitor the condition of the sheets in the compartment. But if the printer writes that there is paper in the tray, and it is there, then you need to look for the problem in another.
If nothing has changed after the top-up, try restarting your system. To do this, turn off the equipment and after a few minutes reconnect the equipment to the network. Modern models are equipped with an automatic diagnostics and troubleshooting system that is activated when reconnected.
How to solve a problem
If the usual actions described in the instructions, and did not help to fix the problem, it is worthwhile to identify the reason for the termination of the printer. So why can’t the device see paper? For convenience, we present a list of the most common problems and how to solve them:
- Wears a roller to pick up the paper, which holds one sheet of paper to print. Try manually pushing the paper through while doing the letter. If you succeed, then the reason has been found. In this case, repair the roller or replace it with a new part.
- Squeezing tightly on the limiting holders in the sheet feed slot, try to loosen them or remove them completely.
- The loaded ream of paper is too large, remove the excess.
- Poor paper quality, very low or high density. For diagnostics, print a page using cardboard. It can restore work.
- Excessive dust has entered the print head and paper feed roller. To solve the problem, clean the device, remove foreign elements.
- Perhaps the error lies in the jam of the previous letter sent for printing. Inspect the cabinet and internal parts, if there is a jam, carefully remove it.
In most of the situations described, you can restore the workflow yourself in order to continue printing documents. If you doubt the correctness of the manipulations, you should contact the service center for diagnostics. Keep the warranty, it can help you free of charge or replace the device.
How to make diagnostics to identify errors?
Sometimes it can be difficult to find the source of the problem yourself. In this case, it is necessary to automatically search for flaws using a computer. To do this, you need to do everything according to the instructions:
- Connect the equipment to a power source, provide pairing with a computer.
- Launch the browser and go to a new tab. After that enter the Microsoft fix it request to download.
- This program provides automatic diagnostics of printer status and fixes problems.
- Run the application, set the appropriate operating mode.
- If serious malfunctions are found We will make adjustments or repairs if necessary.
Working with the printer is difficult, just read the basic instructions. In it you can find a detailed description of connecting and changing print settings. To improve the quality and simplify work with the device, we recommend that you learn more about additional features and read information on the Internet. It will also be useful to use some tips:
- Use the paper best suited for your printer type.
- DO NOT combine different paper sizes. It is not recommended to use paper of different weight.
- Use only quality materials for printing documents.
- Periodically check the state of equipment, diagnose the device.
- Periodically clean the equipment from accumulated dust and foreign objects. Avoid paper jams, promptly remove it from the roller.
- Check software settings, driver version, and do not connect the printer to other computers.
Solving the problem with the printer detecting paper
Every user working with printing equipment at least once faced the problem of detecting paper. This is evidenced by a notification on the digital screen of the printer or a window that appears on the computer when trying to send a document to print. There may be several reasons for such a problem, respectively, solutions too. Today we would like to show the most common causes and options for their correction.
Solving the problem with detecting paper by the printer
It is always recommended first of all to simply reboot the device, because it is quite possible that it independently applied the wrong settings, which will be reset after turning on again. In addition, we recommend that you remove all paper from the tray, straighten it and put it back in, and then start printing again. If THESE two simple tips did not work, check out the following instructions.
Clearing Paper Jams
Sometimes the paper jams in the printer for various reasons, such as one corner being bent or the feed roller not working correctly. Then, after removing it, small Scraps could remain inside, which prevent the mechanism from determining the presence of normal sheets in the tray. In this case, you will need to manually disassemble the printer in order to gain access to the internal parts, and carefully check the machine for paper or other foreign parts, such as staples. Our separate material on the following link will help to understand this.
Setting the paper feed
As you know, each printing device is configured in the operating system using a special installed driver. Among all the parameters there is also the ability to adjust the paper feed. There are situations when this setting is cleared or the manual feed mode is set, which is why there is a problem with detecting sheets in the tray. All that is required from the user is to manually edit the settings, and this can be done like this:
Open “Start” and go to the “Control Panel”.
Right-click on the required printer and select “Printing Preferences”.
In a new window, you will need to move to the “Paper Source” window.
Select the “Default Settings” profile.
After applying the changes, the settings should immediately take effect, which means you can safely clear the print queue and start it again. It is better to make a test print beforehand to make sure that the device is working correctly.
Manual Driver Setting When Printing
Sometimes the printer settings in the operating system are not used or do not function properly, resulting in problems with paper detection when sending a document to print. In this case, you need to immediately change the capture configuration through the “Print” menu by analogy with the previous instruction.
Open the document for printing, select in the program menu “File”, then item “Print”.
Select LMB Required printer and go to the “Properties” menu.
Specify the paper source by selecting it from the pop-up list, then apply the changes.
Upon completion of the configuration, you will exit to the “Print” menu, where you need to immediately confirm the action.
Unfortunately, this action will have to be done every time before printing due to the impossibility of saving the configuration. The only solution is to completely reinstall the printer driver with a preliminary complete uninstallation of it from the system.
If these methods have not brought any result, most likely, the problem is a hardware failure, for example, a problem with the flags of optical sensors. In this situation, you will have to contact the service center for further diagnostics and repair of the device used.
What to do if the product won’t take paper from the tray. Resetting Printer Settings
If the printer was operating without interruption and suddenly stops picking up paper, a simple restart can correct the situation. The procedure will reset the device settings and clear the memory with errors present in it.
Checking the paper quality
If the product does not pick up new paper from the tray, the quality issue may be the problem. The type of paper you are using must match what the manufacturer indicates in the instructions for the printing device.
Especially carefully it is necessary to select photo paper for printing on inkjets, not every printer can print an image on this type of media.
If you are using paper of a suitable weight, look for other problems.
- Remove the sheets from the compartment.
- Take a piece of the pack and check the mint, folded and torn pages. If there are any, remove.
DOES NOT take paper due to foreign objects
Small things like paper clips, buttons, pen caps, staples, or pieces of paper can get caught in the cabinet or tray when loading paper, replacing a cartridge, or simply handling the printer carelessly.
If the device does not pick up the paper due to foreign objects inside, follow these steps:
- Examine the paper tray. Especially carefully inspect the edge area that connects to the page feeder. For a better inspection Use a flashlight.
- Pull out the cartridge. Unfold and shake it slightly. Gently shake the dye containers out of the inkjet printer. In the jet, the diaper is first checked, if it is heavily soiled, rinsing or replacement is done.
To check the print settings, open any text editor that can print documents. For example, any of the programs of the Microsoft Office suite. Run the program, open any file and press the CtrlP key combination. In the window that opens, click on “Properties”. We check that the correct paper size was selected in the basic settings. In most cases, A4 should be indicated on the line. If it fails and the format is incorrect, you need to make changes.
For devices with two trays
Typically, this problem occurs when trying to update drivers in automatic mode. If there was a failure, it is better to rollback the software to the old version. You can uninstall the driver and boot from the installation disc that came with the printer. If the disc is available, try to find the old driver on the manufacturer’s official website. Updating the software automatically after that is incorrect, so auto-update must be temporarily disabled.
- Through “Start” go to “Control Panel”. “Hardware and Sound”. “Devices and Printers”.
- Find your computer model in the “Devices” block and right-click.
- In the context menu, select “Device installation parameters”.
- Select “Sun, PROVIDE a choice” and put a tick next to “Install drivers from Windows Update”.
Does NOT pick up paper due to the feed rollers
The pick rollers are often dirty during use. Cleaning requires clean filtered water, a lint-free cloth and cotton swabs.
- Turn off the power.
- If access to the rollers is free, wipe them with a damp cloth.
- If access is difficult, use a cotton swab dipped in water and squeezed out. It wipes off the accessible part of the rollers, then the shaft with the rollers turns and the cleaning is repeated.
The rollers can be very worn out, then you can turn the rubber over so that the worn layer looks inward. You can also remove the roller and wind several turns of electrical tape to increase its diameter by only a millimeter. These are temporary measures, it is better to quickly make a replacement.
Delivery unit malfunction
The feed unit quickly breaks down when the printer is used intensively. This reason for poor grip is typical for Epson and Brother machines. In Samsung printers, over time, a metal bar on the brake pad leaves and a backlash appears in the pick roller bushings.
Manual paper feed included
Almost every printer has this feature. Users can activate it through ignorance or carelessness, then the leaves should not be fed automatically from the tray, they will need to be manually fed individually. The principle of switching modes is described in detail in the instructions for the printer.